00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LilSisSyd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to get your art noticed here on NG?

492 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I've been on this website for like two years, and my art hasn't been noticed yet. I know I'm not the best at what I do, but I certainly try. Most of my pieces are still unrated and it's kinda disappointing to say the least.

Videos about topics such as this talk mostly about instagram, and how fanart gives you more attention. But one of my dreams is to have one of my artworks be frontpaged. Any tips you guys have that can help me.

Here's a link to my NG portfolio

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-09 23:06:19

Oof I feel your pain especially since I'm still pretty new to NG. But have you started an art thread? It's a pretty good way to get your art notice such as posting your wips, doodles, etc. It'll get more eyes on your art, and people can offer some critique on your art in order to improve.

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-09 23:09:09

Make the art because you like making it instead of "getting noticed"

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-09 23:13:55

At 8/9/22 10:33 PM, AcidPhosphorus wrote: So I've been on this website for like two years, and my art hasn't been noticed yet. I know I'm not the best at what I do, but I certainly try. Most of my pieces are still unrated and it's kinda disappointing to say the least.
Videos about topics such as this talk mostly about instagram, and how fanart gives you more attention. But one of my dreams is to have one of my artworks be frontpaged. Any tips you guys have that can help me.

Here's a link to my NG portfolio

yeah i feel you on that! the place my art gets the most interaction is on art threads.

and even then not really. i basically upload my art to keep from losing it

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Ahh....I think I can help you.

Lets see...

So there are two aspects to getting your art noticed, and one of them is hidden. Its called socializing. People wont even know to look for you if they dont even know you exist. Socializing is arguably more powerful for getting your art noticed than the actual art itself. Cant help you there.

Lets see the other facet, the art itself. You dont want to make fanart huh? Well, that cuts basically all of your mainstream audience out. Lets look at the quality. Mmm, pretty mediocre but thats pretty normal and not a dealbreaker. The biggest issue is that you're drawing human figures and your fundamentals are low enough that they're distracting from what you're trying to show. Hows the presentation? Oouugh, bad. You can gild some shit in gold and have some people still like it. Work on your presentation. A lot.

So, I think that just about sums up why your art isnt getting any attention.

As for frontpages...well youll need to get better at drawing, theres no way around that. After that, its just a matter of participating in some events. If you dont want to go that way, then girl in pose is always being frontpaged.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 01:47:05

iu_721750_5057906.png

that and joining things/socializing

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 01:49:55

At 8/9/22 11:38 PM, Template88 wrote: Ahh....I think I can help you.

Lets see...

So there are two aspects to getting your art noticed, and one of them is hidden. Its called socializing. People wont even know to look for you if they dont even know you exist. Socializing is arguably more powerful for getting your art noticed than the actual art itself. Cant help you there.

Lets see the other facet, the art itself. You dont want to make fanart huh? Well, that cuts basically all of your mainstream audience out. Lets look at the quality. Mmm, pretty mediocre but thats pretty normal and not a dealbreaker. The biggest issue is that you're drawing human figures and your fundamentals are low enough that they're distracting from what you're trying to show. Hows the presentation? Oouugh, bad. You can gild some shit in gold and have some people still like it. Work on your presentation. A lot.

As for frontpages...well youll need to get better at drawing, theres no way around that. After that, its just a matter of participating in some events. If you dont want to go that way, then girl in pose is always being frontpaged.

I couldn't help but read your message in Kuzco's condescending voice, and I fucking love it

iu_721751_5057906.webp

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 01:57:25

Lets see...

I don't mean to be mad or anything but did you just say that my art is mediocre??

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 02:11:15

Yes. Do you not get critique often?

Its okay to be mediocre. We all start somewhere and most people remain mediocre forever.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 03:00:16

Interact with people, also fanart helps a lot, I think.

Just one of my drawings has gotten front paged and it was a Batman drawing (I still can't get over the fact that I didn't know it got front paged until months later).

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

At 8/10/22 03:00 AM, TheShokBlok wrote: Interact with people, also fanart helps a lot, I think.
Just one of my drawings has gotten front paged and it was a Batman drawing (I still can't get over the fact that I didn't know it got front paged until months later).

For me it wouldnt be satisfying enough. Fan art? Frontpaged? no. no no. too easy.

Getting something esoteric frontpaged? Now thats a challenge. No human figures. No landscapes. Sounds impossible right?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 03:22:01

At 8/10/22 03:18 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 8/10/22 03:00 AM, TheShokBlok wrote: Interact with people, also fanart helps a lot, I think.
For me it wouldnt be satisfying enough. Fan art? Frontpaged? no. no no. too easy.

Getting something esoteric frontpaged? Now thats a challenge. No human figures. No landscapes.

I mean, I didn't do it because I wanted it to get front page, I just did it because felt like doing so, so you can imagine my surprise later when I found out.

But I can definitely see what you mean, still, it might be very hard but very doable as well.

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Try joining NG events if you haven't yet. I'm pretty new in here and not famous (but I don't mind it) and my most succesful art was my Pico Day animation. Also try being active and interact in the BBS those can help too

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 12:28:27

my dawg you only got 16 whole arts and an established audience. youre doing fine in my book.

now i wouldnt call it "mediocre". Im not an expert, so all i can say is compare and contrast. whenever I want my art to be more bold and brash, I'll look at artwork that I like and figure out what makes them so eye-catching.

Most artwork that gets really popular is pretty much just massive exaggerations: close ups, extreme angles, clever poses, more expressive, big faces, distorted perspectives, visual clarity. Its designed to make a subject look more exciting.

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 13:59:05

At 8/10/22 01:47 AM, Projects-Dev wrote:

can I just say that I love that you've said this so much to people that you started posting an image instead

honestly a good saying!

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 15:03:39

At 8/10/22 01:59 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 8/10/22 01:47 AM, Projects-Dev wrote:
can I just say that I love that you've said this so much to people that you started posting an image instead

honestly a good saying!

im scared of people

iu_722214_8014430.gif

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

No idea, I haven't been frontpaged yet, and I'm trying.

Fan art or drawing the naughty waughties- Two straight way tickets to fame, if that's what you want anyway.

But the harder route is certainly trying to find out how to attract people without doing either of those things. You could start by being so much better than your current competition that people have no other choice BUT to notice you, or you could try and find a niche that you and only you can do well. The latter option doesn't have to involve excellent draftsmanship, but knowing artistic fundamentals comes a long way.

How about we start one step at a time: Some of the best ways to get people to notice your artwork is how you color and place things on a page. Right off the bat, I see that your characters are placed just about anywhere and the colors don't really speak much to me. This is ignoring the overall style of your work. Perhaps try and study either or composition and color theory so you can stand out from others around your level a bit more.

The most important thing to take away from such advice however is this: Draw what makes you happy. Even if you did suddenly become one of the best artists on the site, there's no guarantee you'll be noticed. Success has many factors, luck being one of them, and it doesn't always favor the masters of a craft. Draw things because only you yourself can and want to draw them. Don't be afraid of improving your art either, as learning different things can lead you to finding other enjoyable things to draw as well. Try and focus on you and yourself, treating art as conversation pieces, not as a way to get people to like you. That will come eventually when you know how to better translate your feelings on paper.

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 16:37:09

At 8/10/22 01:57 AM, AcidPhosphorus wrote:

Lets see...

I don't mean to be mad or anything but did you just say that my art is mediocre??

Part of being an artist is also being resilient in the face of critiques, no matter how obvious it is that the person critiquing takes joy in flaunting their perceived superiority.

For every critique you get, it’s always good to understand who it’s coming from. In this case, it’s coming from a guy who’s told multiple people to kill themselves before. Now that you have knowledge on his personality, you can interpret what he says in that context.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 16:48:30

More advice for what you asked:

Another way to get attention is to open art trades and advertise on the Collabinator and in a news post. People who do trades with you will likely follow you because of how grateful they are that you drew their OC! Same thing with drawing people’s OCs, if you’re up for scrolling through the OC Plaza thread.

Join NG Discord servers and share your art there. You’ll get friends that way!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 17:17:43

I made newspost about how the Frontpage system here works, if you want to try to game it, give it a look.

More importantly though, as many have said here, it's important to draw and expand your abilities for you, before doing it for views.

Falling into the mindset that not getting views or engagement on art makes it a failure is probably the largest problem for artists today - especially young and beginning artists. I also made an extensive newspost on artblock that has a section on social media, and mindset, that might help you out (just scroll down to "Understanding and defining your relationship with art). But in summary you need to analyze what your relationship is with art, and set your goals and expectations accordingly. Art should not be something that makes you feel bad about yourself; and if it does, it's on you to solve that. You can either grind it out and improve your art, if you need help in the form of critiques and tutorials the forum can give you that; or you can lower the scope of what you want to achieve with your art and kind of chill and draw for you more (I don't say that to be dismissive, I know lots of artists who don't post anywhere, don't do it professionally and just paint to paint and they're very happy with it).

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 19:08:14

While Template maybe kind of hard and extremely on the nose....He isn't wrong. Telling some one they are good when they are not can be just a cruel and un helpful as being to critical or to harsh in that criticism. I am also guessing by the OPs reaction to templates criticism tells me they have likely never been told they suck. Which I wouldn't go as far as to say she sucks but her art is extremely underdeveloped. Im also looking at her art and since she start posting there seems to be little improvement so my second assumption would be that people continue to stroke her ego instead of telling her were she needs to improve. I mean if you are a artsist that does art for no other reason than to do art then this is perfectly fine. you don't need to grow or be technically good. just draw what ever you feel what ever makes you happy..but if you intend to be insta famous or make any real money with your art or be a commercial artist...like I am guessing the OP has aspirations of Then they are learning a valuable lesson. The world( or the internet) dosn't care how hard you try. it only cares about what the end result of that trying is. if it is good then you will be rewarded. if its not then...well the op has found out. I mean Yeah Template is kind of a dick but he is a skilled artist and more importantly he is honest. I prefer a honest dick to a kind liar....I notice not one person in here that is stroking the Ops ego has actually followed her ?..... Which kind of reinforces templates assessment of her skill ?

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 19:44:44

At 8/10/22 04:48 PM, Thetageist wrote: More advice for what you asked:

Another way to get attention is to open art trades and advertise on the Collabinator and in a news post. People who do trades with you will likely follow you because of how grateful they are that you drew their OC! Same thing with drawing people’s OCs, if you’re up for scrolling through the OC Plaza thread.

Join NG Discord servers and share your art there. You’ll get friends that way!

Or you'll get banned for posting gifs in general (i'm sorry but gifs are how I express myself damnit!)

...am i still blocked?

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-10 22:38:58

you gotta jump up and down really fast

what

BBS Signature

Response to How to get your art noticed here on NG? 2022-08-11 08:08:09

Well, the way Newgrounds works is that you post your art and it has a couple of minutes or seconds of glory before it gets suffocated by other art posts. This is the case unless what you post gets frontpaged. Getting frontpaged is much easier said than done and you have to be really good at what you do to get frontpaged (aka an admin sees your art and likes it)

I feel like the best way to grow is to improve your skills and interact with other people on Newgrounds. if I am talking with someone in the forums, I usually check their accounts and see their work. Posting in the forums is a good way to make friends and grow your fanbase (although it's not guaranteed. Art skill plays a large role in it).

Another way I've heard to grow is by giving other artists advice and constructive feedback on how to grow. If you give genuinely helpful advice, the person will likely look at your work out of curiosity or to see if you have the skills to back up what you claim. If your art is good enough and has enough personality, people may follow you out of appreciation for your comment or out of pure love for your art.

I have only been on this site for a year, so I am no expert on how it works. If I were an expert then I would be a prominent figure in the Newgrounds community by now. I feel like the best advice is that if you show Newgrounds love and interact with the community, Newgrounds will love you back and people will interact with your work.

Hope this helps.

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature