00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Forward 2022 Winners

37,119 Views | 62 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Winners of our second annual Flash Forward Jam have been decided!

The goal of this jam was to make new games with Flash, using AS2 so they run in-browser with Ruffle. Ruffle is what we use to preserve Flash content on NG; it currently supports most AS2 content and is working towards AS3. We’ll continue hosting this jam every year to both celebrate Flash and showcase Ruffle progress!

Thank you @PsychoGoldfish, @BrandyBuizel and @Mike for judging assistance. Here are the winners:

Games Category

🏆1st - $1000

Tower Defense was a huge staple of classic Flash gaming. @BoMToons and @Luis have now made one of our favorites, with this TD take on Portal Defenders.

🏆 2nd - $750

Clever puzzles, novel mechanics and silly dialog make Bird on Bird our second favorite entry for 2022. @Starblinky and @TheGarbager619 brought great ideas, tech and art to this game!

🏆 3rd - $550

@FuturecopLGF took us on an adventure against a rogue computer virus that makes you feel like you’re hacking the mainframe in some movie out of the 90s. Multiple phases, nail-biting tension and quirky tunes by @pedro-g-f make this game a must-play experience!

🏆 4th - $450

Nostalgia buffs will appreciate the charm of @TeamTamago's 16-bit adventure, with Genesis-styled music and PC98-styled visuals.

🏆 5th - $250

Last year’s victor @MidNightMaren returned with a cyberpunk adventure set to a pulse-pounding @NandinAnubis soundtrack. This game is a vibe!

🏆 6th - $200

@clarkiagames’ entry would have been right at home in our Egg Jam last year. Tossing an egg onto a pillar seems simple enough but the game adds depth with the redemption arc that's revealed when you when you miss.

🏆 7th - $100

@Foumart created Gridlock as a take on classic car shuffling puzzles. Tons of puzzles and fun transitions between levels will keep you entertained for the long haul!

Interactive Movies Category

🏆 1st - $210

From the start you’ll think @GGMagenta has created a game but it’s actually a well-crafted prank built to subvert expectations, earning it the top spot in our interactive movie category. Loads of great personality!

🏆 2nd - $122

@Edeshye made a classic Dress Up with a good bit of depth; you’ll enjoy trying to piece together various outfits.

🏆 3rd - $100

@NoCaps crafted an interactive story with choices, in the tradition of Henry Stickmin.

Honorable Mention - Best Collab

@Mabelma partnered with a ton of artists to create a vending machine filled with collectable treats!

Honorable Mention - Oldschool Award

@Little-Rena returns to NG’s roots, tasking the player to dispense of a persona-non-grata in a variety of comical ways.

Honorable Mention - Best Game by NG Staff

@PsychoGoldfish really brought it this year, with a full on point and click adventure! A great game for the ages and another brilliant showcase of Ruffle in action.

Thank you everyone who made something for the jam! You can see all the entries in our Flash Forward 2022 collection. If you missed out on participating, there’s always next year!

If you’d like to support the ongoing development of Ruffle, check out this page for information about code contribution, testing or sponsoring development with your spare cash!

Other News

@D-Mac-Double is the new voice of Sonic in Sonic Prime on Netflix!

The MessyPaints theme for May is Ultraman! Paint (digital or traditional) Ultraman to participate, with an emphasis on making the metal look realistic.

The Art Inspired Music contest is in progress.

Pico Day is June 11th, with almost $3k in prizes!

iu_626734_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 09:19:55

congrats to everyone!!!!!

art thread!! :D

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 09:24:18

good job guys

Fredrick piss water the 3rd

my best thread

My channel :)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 09:45:41

Thanks a lot for the award, i'm really happy with this! I wanted to make flash games since i was 14, and i started learning flash, but my life went on a different direction. Coming back with Edeshye in 2020, it felt too late for that (the rabbit and the turtle anyone?), but well, i did it anyway. And winning an award for it? damn! It's really fulfilling! So thanks a lot everyone! I hope you had fun playing it! Also, congratulations to all winners!

Play my new game Halloween Babes!! (i should update my signature, i know)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 10:06:02

Crap, I'm a Flash Forward 2022 Loser.

Oh well, may next year.

Congratulations to everyone who made all of these Flash Games. Can't wait to see what's coming next year.

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 10:25:29

At 5/5/22 09:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: Winners of our second annual Flash Forward Jam have been decided!

The goal of this jam was to make new games with Flash, using AS2 so they run in-browser with Ruffle. Ruffle is what we use to preserve Flash content on NG; it currently supports most AS2 content and is working towards AS3. We’ll continue hosting this jam every year to both celebrate Flash and showcase Ruffle progress!

🏆 3rd - $100

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/838625

@NoCaps crafted an interactive story with choices, in the tradition of Henry Stickmin.

ARE YOU FOR REAL OH MY FUCKING GOD TYSM

I make stupid cartoons that you might like

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 11:59:19

Congrats to those who won!

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 12:06:49

Congrats to everyone who participated! I’m very glad that I’ve participated in the trophy collab and hope more flash forward jams happen in the future iu_626819_9273743.gif

BBS Signature

I love that “Best Game By NG Staff” is a category now :D

Thank you and congrats to everyone for participating!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 12:29:06

At 5/5/22 09:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: Interactive Movies Category

🏆 1st - $210

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/838148

From the start you’ll think @GGMagenta has created a game but it’s actually a well-crafted prank built to subvert expectations, earning it the top spot in our interactive movie category. Loads of great personality!

WHAT? SERIOUSLY? thanks everyone, i cant believe it

congrats to all who participated too

dangalorian chicken must be one of the most successful april fools pranks i pulled in my life

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 13:19:19

Good jorb everyone. A special thank you to everyone that played our game! I gave it some tuff luv at the beginning but i thank my team for pushing me to keep on and finish it.

Also first post.

iu_626856_28372.gif

None

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 13:32:11

ah fuck i missed the deadline

At 5/5/22 09:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: Winners of our second annual Flash Forward Jam have been decided!

🏆1st - $1000

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/840508

Tower Defense was a huge staple of classic Flash gaming. @BoMToons and @Luis have now made one of our favorites, with this TD take on Portal Defenders.

Thank you! I second everything @Luis said. Also, just need to say from my 40+ year old-man-ness...

"Still got it. 😎"

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 14:40:02

Congrats to all the winners.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 16:29:55

Good job everyone!

Music Producer, Game Developer & more!

Check my profile for my links! =)

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 17:02:39

Flash Forward 2022 had tons of great content. Will FF 2023 be able to top it?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 17:19:24

grats to everyone :D

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 18:11:09

:O

2nd place!! Thank you so much!

I really struggled with the game at times and staying motivated so it just feels good to be done, and to win 2nd place absolutely exceeded my expectations.

Also I gotta thank Tom for extending the deadline, that was a life saver.

And couldn’t have made the game look so good without @TheGarbager619 and @Charkked, and @EspiDev for his crazy music! Go follow these people if you haven’t already!!

<3

GO PLAY BIRD ON BIRD!!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 18:39:11

At 5/5/22 06:11 PM, Starblinky wrote:
O
2nd place!! Thank you so much!
I really struggled with the game at times and staying motivated so it just feels good to be done, and to win 2nd place absolutely exceeded my expectations.

Also I gotta thank Tom for extending the deadline, that was a life saver.

And couldn’t have made the game look so good without @TheGarbager619 and @Charkked, and @EspiDev for his crazy music! Go follow these people if you haven’t already!!

<3

Thank YOU for the opportunity to be part of this project!

Tits dude

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 18:49:10

Woo, Third Place! I'm honored to have placed so highly, especially considering the super Flash veterans we've got here and the hardcore difficulty of my game: I was pretty sure that was gonna cost me a lot, but I guess a lot of people still enjoyed it in spite of that, so thanks everyone! Makes me wish I was able to implement medals in time, woulda been great to see how many people made it through it all (stupid me not realizing I didn't flip debug mode off)!

Special thanks to Tom for extending the deadline very generously, maybe too generously, haha. But without it, I wouldn't have been able to cram in my usual reckless overambition and deal with a pretty crippling arm problem that took me outta action for quite awhile! Game jams are rough!

And of course, congratulations are in order to all the other winners and entrants as well: I'm still making my way through playing them all but I'm having a blast (and will have my usual feedback video up soon enough)!

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 19:28:59

Congrats to all the winners!!!, happy that I participated on this amazing event by helping mabs with art for the collab, every submission was really good, my favorites were family tech support and Nocaps robbing a bank.

I make art, check this cat

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 19:56:53

There were some great ones in this line up, congrats guys!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 20:49:00

Congrats yall!

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 21:37:09

I think Sausage Game's gonna be one of those things you remember down the line in a decade or so

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-05 21:40:55

At 5/5/22 09:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed out on participating, there’s always next year!

Lowkey hype for next time when I can actually contribute

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Good job everyone! Congratulations to the winners, And to the ones that place honorable mention! It is an honor to participate in something that I didn’t participate last year. Looking forward to next year’s flash forward jam! I’ll make sure that I’m way more prepared next time.

SquadMassiveEntertainment©2023

BBS Signature

Great job this year!!! So many new great games to play! Beautiful work, ya'll should be proud of yourselves!

- GDA

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-06 00:39:45

At 5/5/22 09:37 PM, squidly wrote: I think Sausage Game's gonna be one of those things you remember down the line in a decade or so

agreed.. a lot of great ones.. Portal Defense was really additctive.

Response to Flash Forward 2022 Winners 2022-05-06 00:51:55

: 🏆 4th - $450
:
: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/840570
:
: Nostalgia buffs will appreciate the charm of @TeamTamago's 16-bit adventure, with Genesis-styled music and PC98-styled visuals.

Wow! Thank you! And thank you everyone who played my game! I'm just glad you liked it :D

And without question, congratulations to all my fellow Flash Forward Jammers and everyone else who believes Flash will not die!