00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tippy104 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2022 Submissions Thread

12,890 Views | 107 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-15 03:00:06

Hello everyone and welcome to the 9th annual Art-Inspired Music Contest! This thread marks the official start of the compo, and you’ll find all the details on how to enter, the rules and more below!

Please note: this thread is for SUBMISSIONS only. DO NOT post in this thread to ask questions or make comments. A separate discussions thread will be designated for any non-submission related posts. 

Timeframe

You have from Friday, April 15 (when this submissions thread is posted) until Monday, June 20 at 11:59 pm PDT to submit your entry or entries. 

One week and 24 hour warnings will be posted in this thread when the time comes. 

After the submissions period closes, the judging period begins. This typically runs for about 2-3 weeks before the results thread is posted. 

How the contest works:

1) You pick a single piece of artwork in the Art Portal from a Newgrounds artist you really appreciate (make sure to give them credit, message them when you're done).

2) Create a song inspired by that art and submit it by posting the link on this thread before the deadline! Be sure to post the link to the picture that inspired it as well as giving the name of the picture and artist!

RULES: 

As with any contest, please review the rules before participating, even if you’re a returning participant, as some rules may have changed. 

1) Make sure you're familiar with the Audio Portal rules in the FAQ. Read here: http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/audio-guidelines

2) ONLY post song submissions here (unless it's one of the judges with an update). Casual chatting and questions go in the Discussion Thread, which will be linked in a subsequent post.

3) You must be at least 13 or over to enter.

4) Explicit content IS allowed music-wise, but the artwork that inspired you can't be A-rated (E, T, and M rated art is allowed).

5) No covers or remixes, only new original entries are accepted. No pre-recorded lyrics from vocal packs either.

6) Don't start writing your song until the beginning of the contest (ie. the day this was posted). Songs that were started or submitted before the start date will not be accepted. We do encourage you to PLEASE take your time and don't hurry your song, this is a challenge after all! :)

7) You can enter up to 2 songs.

8) Your song must be between 3-6 minutes. Generally, anything up to 15 seconds outside the limit will be accepted, but your best bet is to be within the 3-6 minute range or as close to it as possible. The contest organizer will have the final say in whether an entry is too long or short to be accepted. 

9) In the front of the song title, write AIM (example: AIM - Strawberries), it helps speed up the judging process. Also, tag your song with AIM2022 in the tags!

10) Submit your song(s) on Newgrounds (uploaded to an NG account here only) and post them to this thread by the official deadline: June 20, 2022. Only entries posted on this thread will be considered. 

11) You can work with anyone, whether it be a singer, producer, etc. Bands are allowed, too! If they have an NG account, tag them in the project system, or if not, credit them in the description of your song(s)! Keep in mind, only one person gets the prize (unless it can be split equally).

12) You must be a scouted artist. This is for anti-fraud purposes.

13) If you're unsure of ANYTHING not listed (or have questions about what has been stated) in the rules, feel free to ask us questions in the discussion thread!

Addenda

For the purposes of this contest, music with a “melodic structure” is preferred. I realize this is quite open to interpretation, but you generally want to think about melodies, chords and structure/form. Soundscape pieces, while I won’t completely disallow them, tend to not be what this contest is for. You are free to incorporate soundscapes into a melodic work, but a soundscape piece alone is generally discouraged.

Once you submit an entry, it will be checked over and added to an approved entries playlist if it satisfies the requirements. If your entry does not meet the requirements, you will receive a message explaining why it wasn’t approved up until the 24 hour warning is posted, of which you may or may not receive a message. This will give you a chance to update your entry or work on a new one that does follow the rules up until the submissions period closes. 

Note that entries go through a manual approval process, so it may take 24-48 hours before your submission is reviewed and put into the approved entries playlist. 

You may update your entry or entries until the submissions period ends. If you do make changes to a current entry, it would be appreciated if you mentioned this in the discussions thread, as some judges may choose to listen and write notes on entries once they are submitted. 

Judges

@Quarl

@L-Mity

@OmegaT

@Random-storykeeper (yes that’s me)

Winners

The judges will determine a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner, along with 17 runner-ups for a total of 20 winners (21 including the fan favourite - see following section). The winners’ entries will be compiled into an AIM compilation album. See past AIM albums here!

Prizes are TBA and will be posted in this thread when they are confirmed. 

Fan Favourite:

During the judging phase, all non-judges (both participants and non-participants) can vote for their favourite submission. The winning song with the most votes will end up on the contest album (and get to pick out a game from the Prize Pool)! Voting will be done through an additional “Fan Favourite” thread, which will be linked in this thread shortly after the submissions period ends. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to give a big shoutout to @Phaox05 for creating this year’s promo art! Thank you for the wonderful creation below.

With that, I wish all participants the best and I cannot wait to hear what you all have in store for this year’s compo. 

iu_605836_4990163.webp

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-15 03:18:27

The AIM 2022 Discussions Thread is now live: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1499127

Please use the discussions thread for any comments or questions and keep this thread to submissions only (except for announcements from the contest organizer or anyone given permission to do so from the contest organizer). Non-submission posts may be removed from this thread.

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-15 03:22:11

My favorite contest! :D

Here's my entry:

Inspired by this wonderful 3D art:

Good luck to all the contestants! :) 

I love this site :)

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-15 13:10:22

At 4/15/22 03:22 AM, ZaazNG wrote: My favorite contest! :D
Here's my entry:
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1124786
Inspired by this wonderful 3D art:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/sabretooth2611/forgotten-updated
Good luck to all the contestants! :) 

I don’t normally publicly announce when entries are disqualified, but I wanted to make it clear that this entry is not being accepted due to it being created outside of the submissions period. Entries must be started, finished and posted within the submissions period.

Entry:

Inspired on:

glhf

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-15 21:59:34

My Entry #1

Based on:

Here is mine.

Inspired by:

I help you see things.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-17 02:26:24

My second entry:

Based on:

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-17 07:45:31

15 seconds outside the limit eh, let's see about that >:)

This is my Art-inspired-Music submission

and, I calculated the timing. If you're lucky, you'd be able the hear the music sync with the animation.

To stand out or to be left out?

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-17 10:41:36

Here is my submission:

Inspired by:

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that I now have a playlist for all the approved submissions of AIM 2022. It includes the art inspirations for easy reference as you're listening along!

When an entry is acceptable for judging, it will go into this playlist, but remember, please allow 24-48 hours after submitting for this process to happen, especially during business days.

AIM 2022 Approved Submissions playlist

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-17 15:59:05

Music:

Art:

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-17 18:07:11

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-18 08:17:49

Hello everyone,

My submission for this year:

Inspired By :

Hope you enjoy :)

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-19 09:22:29

Hey guys,

I chose @derpidraws "Roberta" for the inspiration.

A little fight music to get her in the mood.

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-19 22:43:21

Here is my submission for the AIM 2022 contest. This was fun to compose.

enjoy everyone and happy composing to all!!

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-20 02:55:54

Music:

Art:

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-20 17:17:37

My first AIM 2022 entry:

Inspired by:

Good luck all!

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-20 19:01:43

The song: The Empty Universe

The art that inspired it: The Empty Universe by LiteralHat

Inspired by artwork from rafael-bicalho, found here:

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-20 23:53:52

2nd entry

inspired by:

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-23 19:52:53

Here is my entry:

Inspired by https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/darr1o/deep-sea-girl

Good luck to everybody :)

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-24 18:05:21

My submission:

Inspired by:

Good luck to everyone! all the submissions so far sound hecking cool :D

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-29 22:43:16

Sup fam? So stoked to share my first AIM entry with you guys! Here's the track:

And here's the inspiration

Hope you guys catch a vibe ;)

Sup Shawty

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-04-30 12:18:49

Here goes my submission. Good luck for those who participate!

BBS Signature

Hello there!

Here's my entry, AIM - 8-Bit Hero:

And the gorgeous pixel-art that inspired it, Dark tower in the sky by aleha84:

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-05-03 13:18:02

My first time! ^_^ So excited!

The Song:

The Art:

My first AIM, Let's try this out! :D

Artwork:

Song:

what is a signature, what does it do?

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-05-06 08:50:18

I done did the thing, lemme know if you enjoyed :)

Music:

Art:

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Submissions Thread 2022-05-06 23:39:11

Glad I could participate! I had a lot of fun with this.

This is a signature. Aren't I creative?