00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ER-Cursed-Writer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab

1,977 Views | 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

BACKGROUND

I've had an idea rolling around in my head for over 10 years, of how I could potentially bring back and expand on what I did with my first ever "game" Kill Boe (that was just a selection of buttons) and it's slightly more polished sequel Kill Boe 2 (also just buttons...)

One of my favourite parts of Newgrounds was taking part in collabs! I even hosted a few. But I haven't done anything like that in ages. I'd love organize a quick animated collab as a throwback to my old games, and that old collab experience, while taking part in the Flash Forward Jam! I really regret missing that last year.

THE CONCEPT

• My pitch is to get as many people together as I can to animated ~30 shorts. These will be like 5-30 seconds long each.
  • As a good frame of reference, think of the Fails of the Henry Stickmin series. Except there are no options that are "correct". Everything results in a death!
  • The goal is for each death to be unexpected. Going against the obvious, or expected outcome as often as possible.
  • We'll be following Boe around for a day. Starting from waking up, through to coming home again that night. Each part of his day will offer up 3-4 choices. Once the player has seen each death, they'll advance to the next part of the day (I'll draw/animate these transitions).

RULES

1. No nudity or sexual content. I am fine with these deaths being excessive and a little gory. But keep in mind how cartoony and silly the original 2 games were.
  2. Please put your best foot forward. These clips will be short. I will not accept something low effort, unless you made it entertaining enough
  3. You can only stake a "claim" on 1 scene in a game at a time. You can only start on another once your first is completed and submitted. I'd like no individual person to contribute more than 2 scenes.
  4. Follow the specs:

SPECS

• Must be animated in Flash. Any version should be fine
  • Frame size is 1100 x 800 (to stay true to the old default 550 x 400 Flash frame size). PLEASE keep this in mind !!!
  • 24 fps
  • Sound effects are highly encouraged.
  • Share your completed scenes in the Dumping grounds for me to download
  • Boe must wear a #FE9900 color shirt. I am open to pretty well any other interpretation of the character's design, since this was the most complex it ever appeared in Kill Boe 2:

iu_564331_2083606.png

(I'm not even confident you can tell he's waving in this picture...)

DEADLINE

I am only leaving 2 weeks for this! The deadline is March 15th.

I need time to compile these, polish what I need to, and to tie the various scenes all together - and want to leave plenty of time to make sure I meet the FFJ deadline!

SCENES

Here is a list of the 30 different scenes I have in mind. They are grouped into 8 larger categories.

Scene list found here

For instance, the very first is Boe waking up in bed. You then choose if you want to animated him "hitting the snooze", or "getting out of bed".

I will edit this document as they are assigned, and will also use it to keep track of what's been completed.

SIGNING UP

If you wish to take part, simply reply to this topic WITH a link to something you've animated before. It can be a full animation, a clip from another collab, some WIP thing you're working on. Basically just something to show me your general style, and that you have some basic skills.

I look forward to finding some new people to collab with! I've been out of that circle for FAR too long. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 17:43:17

Hell yeah, Kill Boe is coming back! Looking forward to seeing all the amazing contributions from everyone.

Don't think I'll be able to do anything given my intentionally awful animation style, but I am excited to see what everyone else has to offer.

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 17:47:14

At 3/1/22 05:43 PM, Kejayco wrote: Hell yeah, Kill Boe is coming back! Looking forward to seeing all the amazing contributions from everyone.

Don't think I'll be able to do anything given my intentionally awful animation style, but I am excited to see what everyone else has to offer.

That bar isn't *that* high haha.

I should acknowledge how rough the original games are. And while I'd love to see that outdone. I am open to new interpretations that exist at/near that quality if the idea is solid ;)

GAH!

BBS Signature

I've been animating with Flash for over 1 year now. Here's what I can do death-wise. I think I can do a part.

WARNING: Mature themes:

EDIT: Hey, you're that guy who played my first JollyWorld levels.

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 21:50:37

At 3/1/22 07:42 PM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: I've been animating with Flash for over 1 year now. Here's what I can do death-wise. I think I can do a part.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/820689

I took a look through a few animations. It's fun to see the progress you've made in just a year!

I'd be happy to have you on board :)

Let me know which scene you think you'd most like to animate!

Ps. That's very funny about the JollyWorld connection haha!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 22:15:47

At 3/1/22 05:47 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/1/22 05:43 PM, Kejayco wrote: Hell yeah, Kill Boe is coming back! Looking forward to seeing all the amazing contributions from everyone.

That bar isn't *that* high haha.
I should acknowledge how rough the original games are. And while I'd love to see that outdone. I am open to new interpretations that exist at/near that quality if the idea is solid ;)

i use flash cs4 , been animating for over 2 years, been part of 2 collabs so far

also, have a nice day

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 22:19:02

At 3/1/22 09:50 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/1/22 07:42 PM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: I've been animating with Flash for over 1 year now. Here's what I can do death-wise. I think I can do a part.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/820689

I took a look through a few animations. It's fun to see the progress you've made in just a year!
I'd be happy to have you on board :)

Let me know which scene you think you'd most like to animate!

Ps. That's very funny about the JollyWorld connection haha!

Can I start with the 'Ride bike' scene?

iu_564585_8157415.png

Fun fact: There's now a sign placed where you initially fell off.iu_564586_8157415.png

I also collaborated with one of the game's creators on a game for the 'Egg' game jam.

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-01 23:56:41

At 3/1/22 10:15 PM, MrPakoMan wrote: i use flash cs4 , been animating for over 2 years, been part of 2 collabs so far
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/816937

Cool, I like the range of styles I've seen in you work!

I would ask that anything you make for this collab not be uploaded to Newgrounds solo. But please feel free to share it around any other way you see fit!

At 3/1/22 10:19 PM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Can I start with the 'Ride bike' scene?

Sure thing, I'll set that one aside for ya!

Fun fact: There's now a sign placed where you initially fell off.

That's hilarious!! Thanks so much for including that xD

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-02 04:45:54

Am honestly pretty interested. Plus, the deadline's on my birthday!

Taking a look at my profile shows a pretty... interesting portfolio. I can make something as bizarre as dumping a fat load on Santa to something as ambitious as faking game footage in Adobe Flash CS6. Now, I want to do funny stickman deaths, even if my homework be damned.

plus some other interesting things.

I also like dealing with sound effects a whole lot, lol. I'm a sucker for sound design.

Am hoping that's good enough :)

iu_564855_6708626.png

I'm GAY and I PISS and SHIT all over the place.

It's dangerous to browse the BBS alone! Take this!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-02 11:35:46

At 3/2/22 04:45 AM, midgetsausage wrote: Am honestly pretty interested. Plus, the deadline's on my birthday!

Taking a look at my profile shows a pretty... interesting portfolio. I can make something as bizarre as dumping a fat load on Santa to something as ambitious as faking game footage in Adobe Flash CS6. Now, I want to do funny stickman deaths, even if my homework be damned.

I've been won over by those sludgey, slurpy, soupy dumps.

Welcome aboard!

Reminder to everyone to please pick the scene that sounds most interesting to you

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-02 18:21:22

At 3/2/22 11:35 AM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/2/22 04:45 AM, midgetsausage wrote: something something
I've been won over by those sludgey, slurpy, soupy dumps.
Welcome aboard!

Reminder to everyone to please pick the scene that sounds most interesting to you

Sweet!

I call dibs on the Dream Within A Dream scene.

I'm GAY and I PISS and SHIT all over the place.

It's dangerous to browse the BBS alone! Take this!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-03 12:12:18

At 3/2/22 06:21 PM, midgetsausage wrote: Sweet!
I call dibs on the Dream Within A Dream scene.

Done!

I would love to get this all done by the 15th. But with the slow trickle of people participating. I am starting to wonder if it would be better to extend the deadline, and give people more time than forcing it within the Flash Forward Jam?

I haven't made up my mind there yet. I'll try plugging the collab a little in some other places, and will see if we can get the ball rolling a little faster here

GAH!

BBS Signature

I couldn't find anything I've done recently, LINK

(Note, that was also my first time properly animating anything.)

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 11:50:38

Hell yeah! id love to be a part of this project, ive got a good idea for the days end "take out the trash" idea, ill get it to you by march 15th no problem. here a little animation i did a few months back (context shouldn't be necessary haha) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LbNaAXl1XY

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:11:25

Yeah, I remember the "click button to kill guy" genre. Never been a fan. Anyway, here's three of the seven I've done in recent memory as an example.

Nobody beats the 83457 and all that.

Patreon : Ko-fi : YouTube : Twitter

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:25:59

I hope I'm not too late for this.

But here's a Flash animation I made not too long ago, still learning the ropes of things but I think I could handle a thing or two.

Welp

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:39:19

At 3/4/22 11:11 AM, complete-comb wrote: I couldn't find anything I've done recently, LINK

(Note, that was also my first time properly animating anything.)

I like the action, and colors and everything! It's a fun little project.

This was animated in Flash? It plays out sort of like a series of pictures made in another software, stitched together. There is nothing very "animated" about it.

I can't say yes immediately, but if you can show me even just a very simple example or something with more actual animation, done in Flash, then I'd be happy to see what you could bring to this collab!

At 3/4/22 11:50 AM, MrDuK wrote: Hell yeah! id love to be a part of this project, ive got a good idea for the days end "take out the trash" idea, ill get it to you by march 15th no problem. here a little animation i did a few months back (context shouldn't be necessary haha) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LbNaAXl1XY

There is some really cool FBF work going on with some of the smaller details around the scene!

I can happily welcome you aboard to see what you do to poor lil Boe.

Could you please let me know which available scene is of the greatest interest to you?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:44:17

i feel like the "feed the ducks" idea would be lots of fun!

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:44:50

At 3/4/22 12:11 PM, 53xy83457 wrote: Yeah, I remember the "click button to kill guy" genre. Never been a fan. Anyway, here's three of the seven I've done in recent memory as an example.

Funny that you have done this sort of thing before! Maybe we all have at some point xD

I thought Squicide was especially clever!

If you want to use chunky pixel art for this animation, I am totally into that. I feel it could add some cool variety! But please feel welcome to do whatever you like. Which scene would you like to claim?

At 3/4/22 12:25 PM, Lukeshardo wrote: I hope I'm not too late for this.

But here's a Flash animation I made not too long ago, still learning the ropes of things but I think I could handle a thing or two.

I like the overall style! It feels familiar, but I think it still stands out as your own thing :)

I would encourage you to push the "animating" a little further. I see you started out with webcomics, so probably feel comfortable presenting things in a storyboard-like way. But if you're up for the challenge, then I'm open to welcoming you aboard :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:45:40

At 3/4/22 12:44 PM, MrDuK wrote: i feel like the "feed the ducks" idea would be lots of fun!

Based on "MrDuK", that just makes a lot of sense haha.

I'll get your name added in!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:46:52

sounds good!

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 12:50:11

I'm totally up for the challenge! If it's still available, I would like to do the 'Watch TV on couch' bit.

Welp

BBS Signature

I'll be honored to be in a collab with you! btw, can i take scene 4 in the morning routine section?

https://cloudformstudios.newgrounds.com/

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 13:19:41

At 3/1/22 04:51 PM, Noodle wrote: BACKGROUND
I've had an idea rolling around in my head for over 10 years, of how I could potentially bring back and expand on what I did with my first ever "game" Kill Boe (that was just a selection of buttons) and it's slightly more polished sequel Kill Boe 2 (also just buttons...)
One of my favourite parts of Newgrounds was taking part in collabs! I even hosted a few. But I haven't done anything like that in ages. I'd love organize a quick animated collab as a throwback to my old games, and that old collab experience, while taking part in the Flash Forward Jam! I really regret missing that last year.

THE CONCEPT

RULES

SPECS

(I'm not even confident you can tell he's waving in this picture...)

DEADLINE
I am only leaving 2 weeks for this! The deadline is March 15th.
I need time to compile these, polish what I need to, and to tie the various scenes all together - and want to leave plenty of time to make sure I meet the FFJ deadline!

SCENES
Here is a list of the 30 different scenes I have in mind. They are grouped into 8 larger categories.
Scene list found here
For instance, the very first is Boe waking up in bed. You then choose if you want to animated him "hitting the snooze", or "getting out of bed".
I will edit this document as they are assigned, and will also use it to keep track of what's been completed.

SIGNING UP
If you wish to take part, simply reply to this topic WITH a link to something you've animated before. It can be a full animation, a clip from another collab, some WIP thing you're working on. Basically just something to show me your general style, and that you have some basic skills.

I look forward to finding some new people to collab with! I've been out of that circle for FAR too long. Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers!

really all i have that im able to show is an intro from a cancelled cartoon project from a few months ago https://youtu.be/B4AoRMor6OU

i hope this is enough to get accepted but its totally reasonable if i dont lmao

ill take whatever scene i can get tbh im really not too fussed about it

bitch i can make orange rhyme with banana

borrrrnana

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 13:27:57

This could be fun

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 13:48:52

At 3/4/22 12:44 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/4/22 12:11 PM, 53xy83457 wrote: Yeah, I remember the "click button to kill guy" genre. Never been a fan. Anyway, here's three of the seven I've done in recent memory as an example.
Funny that you have done this sort of thing before! Maybe we all have at some point xD
I thought Squicide was especially clever!
If you want to use chunky pixel art for this animation, I am totally into that. I feel it could add some cool variety! But please feel welcome to do whatever you like. Which scene would you like to claim?

Cool. I've got something in mind for throw a frisbee.

Nobody beats the 83457 and all that.

Patreon : Ko-fi : YouTube : Twitter

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 13:58:16

At 3/4/22 01:05 PM, CloudformStudios wrote: I'll be honored to be in a collab with you! btw, can i take scene 4 in the morning routine section?
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/754759

You'll have to let me know where in the massive project your contribution is. Or maybe you could upload it isolated on the dumping grounds or something?

At 3/4/22 01:19 PM, blambul wrote: really all i have that im able to show is an intro from a cancelled cartoon project from a few months ago https://youtu.be/B4AoRMor6OU

It at the very least shows you have an understanding or colors, character designs, timing, and some basic squash and stretch. There are enough fundamentals on display here that I believe you have what it takes :)

I'll be curious to see what you can do when you push the animation side of it the extra bit further. Because the polish is clearly there!

At 3/4/22 01:27 PM, Demented-Duskull wrote: This could be fun
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/802761

After seeing the work and dedication you put into your youtube videos, I'm excited to see what you do with a project like this! It'll be fun to have an excuse to collaborate on something together :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 14:04:29

At 3/4/22 01:58 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/4/22 01:05 PM, CloudformStudios wrote: I'll be honored to be in a collab with you! btw, can i take scene 4 in the morning routine section?
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/754759
You'll have to let me know where in the massive project your contribution is. Or maybe you could upload it isolated on the dumping grounds or something?

At 3/4/22 01:19 PM, blambul wrote: really all i have that im able to show is an intro from a cancelled cartoon project from a few months ago https://youtu.be/B4AoRMor6OU

It at the very least shows you have an understanding or colors, character designs, timing, and some basic squash and stretch. There are enough fundamentals on display here that I believe you have what it takes :)
I'll be curious to see what you can do when you push the animation side of it the extra bit further. Because the polish is clearly there!

At 3/4/22 01:27 PM, Demented-Duskull wrote: This could be fun
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/802761
After seeing the work and dedication you put into your youtube videos, I'm excited to see what you do with a project like this! It'll be fun to have an excuse to collaborate on something together :)

thanks! also after a bit of thinking i have an idea for "use computer" so could i maybe get that scene?

bitch i can make orange rhyme with banana

borrrrnana

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 14:32:53

Hey Graeme, I think I’d like to maybe give this a shot. I don’t really know how confident I feel about my animation style but I have messed around animating before (unfortunately I do not having anything published so I don’t think I can provide any links to anything). I think I might have a kind of funny idea with the “fly” option.

Response to Flash Forward Jam - Kill Boe Collab 2022-03-04 14:53:00

At 3/4/22 02:04 PM, blambul wrote: thanks! also after a bit of thinking i have an idea for "use computer" so could i maybe get that scene?

Done!

At 3/4/22 02:32 PM, DMpls wrote: Hey Graeme, I think I’d like to maybe give this a shot. I don’t really know how confident I feel about my animation style but I have messed around animating before (unfortunately I do not having anything published so I don’t think I can provide any links to anything). I think I might have a kind of funny idea with the “fly” option.

Added!

I know DM through my Discord, so have seen examples of work over there! Just so it doesn't appear that I am randomly approving anyone with nothing to show.

We now have 1/3rd of the scenes filled!!

GAH!

BBS Signature