00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ZenonRetna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore

1,303 Views | 31 Replies

Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 00:11:25

So sometime last year, I joined this website thanks to Friday Night Funkin sort of reviving this childhood website of mine. I used to play flash games here all the time as a kid, but sadly I don't remember a whole lot.

Lately I've been really wanting to get more involved with the Newgrounds community, post more things, talk in forums, all that good stuff, but there's something important I need to know.

I need to know some Newgrounds lore. I need to know different kinds of historical icons on this website, be it people, creations, all that. I know Pico is a legend here, and I played the original flash game, but other than Pico's School and FNF, I don't know much about him. What are some well-known animations, games, etc about him?

I watched the original Tankman series, but again, between that and FNF, that's all I know about him too. Madness Combat was a good show, and I watched some of the spinoffs, played a couple flash games based on it, but any more things I should know?

Heck, I look at games like Newgrounds rumble and I don't really recognize a lot of the characters, but I assume they're equally well known and legendary here. That's where you guys come in! Can you enlighten me on all these different characters, some famous animations, games, etc etc? I'm willing to learn!

Heck, maybe this thread might help someone in the future... Or maybe someone already made a thread exactly like this and I didn't bother searching for it... Which if that's the case, I'd gladly take a link to said thread.

But either way, feel free to share the stories!

BBS Signature

have you tried the wiki? I seriously doubt anyone is just sitting around waiting to explain old newgrounds stuff, but uh maybe.

I'd just watch the cartoons myself...some of the old stuff might be pretty hard to relate to.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 01:20:53

It was made by some dumb kid. Now it's run by some dumb adult. Yoink!

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 01:43:31

At 2/13/22 12:31 AM, Template88 wrote: have you tried the wiki? I seriously doubt anyone is just sitting around waiting to explain old newgrounds stuff, but uh maybe.

I'd just watch the cartoons myself...some of the old stuff might be pretty hard to relate to.

Actually, I didn't know there was a wiki, huh. I should do some digging around there.

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 01:43:46

At 2/13/22 01:20 AM, TailsPrower wrote: It was made by some dumb kid. Now it's run by some dumb adult. Yoink!

A tale to behold!

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 05:51:21

At 2/13/22 12:11 AM, Azeleon wrote: I need to know some Newgrounds lore.

The nice thing about NG-original characters is that there is no "universe bible" you must follow. You can use those characters to tell any story you like. So, in short: Newgrounds lore is what you make it.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 05:53:43

If you want secrets, you gotta dig deeper than this

hello

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 09:15:33

Here's a fun rabbit hole to jump down!

We hope you hang around.

https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/history

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 09:20:48

Keep Lurking Newfriend

Queer Starscream

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 11:59:54

At 2/13/22 05:51 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 2/13/22 12:11 AM, Azeleon wrote: I need to know some Newgrounds lore.
The nice thing about NG-original characters is that there is no "universe bible" you must follow. You can use those characters to tell any story you like. So, in short: Newgrounds lore is what you make it.

That's a pretty interesting way to think about it tbh

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 12:01:22

In may of 2021, some shithead named Azeleon joined and basically ruined the site. Everything sucks now.

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 12:03:27

At 2/13/22 12:01 PM, PurpleShoes wrote: In may of 2021, some shithead named Azeleon joined and basically ruined the site. Everything sucks now.

This site's going DOWN

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 12:19:26

At 2/13/22 09:15 AM, DamnedBySevenSeize wrote: Here's a fun rabbit hole to jump down!
We hope you hang around.
https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/history

Thanks! I love a good read

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 12:39:33

A legendary Fulp made this land! Tis was a sight to behold until the spam came crashing in, and now we must fight to defend it!

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 12:41:56

At 2/13/22 12:39 PM, mastorball wrote: A legendary Fulp made this land! Tis was a sight to behold until the spam came crashing in, and now we must fight to defend it!

We shall take up arms and fight this fight!

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 16:06:09

At 2/13/22 06:24 AM, RefurbishedChezmond wrote: Some kid tried to burn down a school

No some kid burned a building and got hit by an airplane, the school got shot

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 16:08:25

You must read from the book of Newgrounds lore.

iu_550463_9288069.jpg

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 18:40:02

At 2/13/22 06:24 AM, RefurbishedChezmond wrote: Some kid tried to burn down a school

... his name was sirtom93

NESticle Now!

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-13 20:42:09

At 2/13/22 06:40 PM, Hu-chibe2680 wrote: At 2/13/22 06:24 AM, RefurbishedChezmond wrote: Some kid tried to burn down a school

his name was Robert Paulson

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-14 10:32:35

At 2/13/22 08:42 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 2/13/22 06:40 PM, Hu-chibe2680 wrote: At 2/13/22 06:24 AM, RefurbishedChezmond wrote: Some kid tried to burn down a school
his name was Robert Paulson

He had bitch tits.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-14 11:19:15

For pico: Child who likely has ptsd now go shooty shooty bang bang

For madness: Edgy man and zombie clown who literally has the powers of a god go shooty shooty bang bang and have killed each other like 9 times

Just your average enjoyer of JJBA r63 (yes ik i'm a degenerate no i don't care)

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-02-14 11:28:27

In the beginning Thomas, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the site admins; and they made a great Music before him. In this Music the site was begun; for Ilúvatar made visible the song of the admins, and they beheld it as a light in the darkness. And many among them became enamoured of its beauty, and of its history which they saw beginning and unfolding as in a vision. Therefore Ilúvatar gave to their vision Being, and set it amid the Void, and the Secret Fire was sent to burn at the heart of the World; and it was called newgrounds.com. Then those of the admin who desired it arose and entered into the website at the beginning of Time; and it was their task to code it, and by their labours to fulfil the vision which they had seen. Long they laboured in the regions of newgrounds.com, which are vast beyond the thought of Elves and Men, until in the time appointed was made the Flash Portal, the Kingdom of Spam. Then they put on the user profiles of newgrounds.com and descended into it, and dwelt therein.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-07 21:08:49

I don't know a lot of Newgrounds Lore but I can tell you the Pico School lore/universe that is canon and non-canon/alternate universe

Canon: The timeline of Pico School actually begins in Samurai Asshole. Samurai Asshole is a game where you avenge your father because he choked on a piece of chicken and died and assumed that the three local religious leaders must be killed because it's tradition to avenge your father. At the end of Samurai Asshole, he went to a rocket ship and fly to another planet when the alien species called Penilian talked about invading Earth but they couldn't because the Gods were powerful compared to them so they waited until the people forget about their Gods and the Gods will leave the humans powerless to the Penilian. One of the Penilian asked if they shoot the space ship but another said it wouldn't be worth the energy and a waste of time, this causes Samurai Asshole to land on a planet of Smurfs and question what planet he's in. This leads to Pico School and everyone knows the summary of Pico School so I don't need to go into any detail but the same Penilian that invaded the School is Cassandra (unknown if it was the left or right Penilian). Pico School 2, not a lot of info is known about Pico School 2 and you can find the unfinished demo video on Youtube or play the unfinished game by becoming a Newgrounds supporter. But the info we do know is the Penilian are still planning to take over Earth.

Alternate Universe/Non-Canon: The obvious one is the Pico School: Love Conquers All. Not canon to the Pico School lore but Tom Fulp mentions it's an alternate universe for FNF in a QnA. Another one is the spinoff games/movies such as Darnell plays with fire, Nene interactive suicide (yes this is real), Pico Vs Uberkids, Pico Unloaded, and Pico Vs Bear. These are 50/50, they are canon characters to Pico School but they don't fit in the Pico School timeline so it's an alternative universe with canon characters. But there is something interesting about some of these games. In Pico Vs Bear, Pico works for an organization called Assassin Organization. And the mascot of Assassin Organization is a character called Shotgun Man. Shotgun Man was considered to be the mascot of Newgrounds until replaced by Tankman but he is the mascot of the Assassin games. This also leads to other characters that joined the Assassin Organization being canon to this alternative universe. A huge one is a character called Buckshot who is an early Assassin working for the Assassin Organization and a character that was featured was the first Newgrounds character that wasn't created by Tom Fulp called Scotrum the Puppy who helped Buckshot assassinate someone. Although Tom Fulp doesn't own the rights to Buckshot and Scotrum the Puppy (Buckshot owned by Luis and StP owned by (Brain), they were both joined by the Assassin Organization where Pico worked. This isn't canon to the Pico School universe but I would love to see the Assassin Organization get deeper into its lore even if it isn't canon to Pico School and is an alternate universe. A small fact about Nene is she likes seals but the poster she has is similar to a game called Club a Seal and although it is a small cameo, this could imply that Club a Seal takes place in the alternate Pico School universe as well.

Characters Tom Fulp doesn't own/non-canon: Convict made its first appearance in Pico vs Convict with a different design than in Newgrounds Rumble, the video implies that it's a prequel to Pico School. Convict is owned by Luis. Another character is Pico's cousin Otis from Pico Cousin 1 and 2. I haven't played Otis but Otis isn't created by Tom Fulp and is created by Magna and made a cameo in Pico vs Convict. And finally is Piconjo or known as Buttchamber created by Mindchamber. Piconjo in Newgrounds Rumble is a what-if Piconjo was a Pico School 2 character which explains why he looked different from his real design. Piconjo and Pico School aren't canon to the Pico School universe or even alternate universe. Even Buttchamber isn't canon to Pico School and is just an evil version of Pico which was his original design in Newgrounds Rumble until changing it to look like a Pico School 2 character. Tom Fulp even said it as a what-if situation meaning it isn't canon.

And that's a small summary of Pico School lore. But the worse part is, I don't know if I covered it all. Heck, this was just about Pico, imagine if I talked about the entire Newgrounds cast 0___0

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-07 21:10:13

At 2/13/22 01:20 AM, TailsPrower wrote: It was made by some dumb kid. Now it's run by some dumb adult. Yoink!

Is that the sound you make when you steal a mans virginity?

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-07 21:19:59

At 3/7/22 09:10 PM, DamnedByDonkus wrote:
Is that the sound you make when you steal a mans virginity?

in some circles, that's rape!

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-07 21:50:57

At 3/7/22 09:08 PM, T-Phantom-T wrote: I don't know a lot of Newgrounds Lore but I can tell you the Pico School lore/universe that is canon and non-canon/alternate universe

Canon: The timeline of Pico School actually begins in Samurai Asshole. Samurai Asshole is a game where you avenge your father because he choked on a piece of chicken and died and assumed that the three local religious leaders must be killed because it's tradition to avenge your father. At the end of Samurai Asshole, he went to a rocket ship and fly to another planet when the alien species called Penilian talked about invading Earth but they couldn't because the Gods were powerful compared to them so they waited until the people forget about their Gods and the Gods will leave the humans powerless to the Penilian. One of the Penilian asked if they shoot the space ship but another said it wouldn't be worth the energy and a waste of time, this causes Samurai Asshole to land on a planet of Smurfs and question what planet he's in. This leads to Pico School and everyone knows the summary of Pico School so I don't need to go into any detail but the same Penilian that invaded the School is Cassandra (unknown if it was the left or right Penilian). Pico School 2, not a lot of info is known about Pico School 2 and you can find the unfinished demo video on Youtube or play the unfinished game by becoming a Newgrounds supporter. But the info we do know is the Penilian are still planning to take over Earth.

Alternate Universe/Non-Canon: The obvious one is the Pico School: Love Conquers All. Not canon to the Pico School lore but Tom Fulp mentions it's an alternate universe for FNF in a QnA. Another one is the spinoff games/movies such as Darnell plays with fire, Nene interactive suicide (yes this is real), Pico Vs Uberkids, Pico Unloaded, and Pico Vs Bear. These are 50/50, they are canon characters to Pico School but they don't fit in the Pico School timeline so it's an alternative universe with canon characters. But there is something interesting about some of these games. In Pico Vs Bear, Pico works for an organization called Assassin Organization. And the mascot of Assassin Organization is a character called Shotgun Man. Shotgun Man was considered to be the mascot of Newgrounds until replaced by Tankman but he is the mascot of the Assassin games. This also leads to other characters that joined the Assassin Organization being canon to this alternative universe. A huge one is a character called Buckshot who is an early Assassin working for the Assassin Organization and a character that was featured was the first Newgrounds character that wasn't created by Tom Fulp called Scotrum the Puppy who helped Buckshot assassinate someone. Although Tom Fulp doesn't own the rights to Buckshot and Scotrum the Puppy (Buckshot owned by Luis and StP owned by (Brain), they were both joined by the Assassin Organization where Pico worked. This isn't canon to the Pico School universe but I would love to see the Assassin Organization get deeper into its lore even if it isn't canon to Pico School and is an alternate universe. A small fact about Nene is she likes seals but the poster she has is similar to a game called Club a Seal and although it is a small cameo, this could imply that Club a Seal takes place in the alternate Pico School universe as well.

Characters Tom Fulp doesn't own/non-canon: Convict made its first appearance in Pico vs Convict with a different design than in Newgrounds Rumble, the video implies that it's a prequel to Pico School. Convict is owned by Luis. Another character is Pico's cousin Otis from Pico Cousin 1 and 2. I haven't played Otis but Otis isn't created by Tom Fulp and is created by Magna and made a cameo in Pico vs Convict. And finally is Piconjo or known as Buttchamber created by Mindchamber. Piconjo in Newgrounds Rumble is a what-if Piconjo was a Pico School 2 character which explains why he looked different from his real design. Piconjo and Pico School aren't canon to the Pico School universe or even alternate universe. Even Buttchamber isn't canon to Pico School and is just an evil version of Pico which was his original design in Newgrounds Rumble until changing it to look like a Pico School 2 character. Tom Fulp even said it as a what-if situation meaning it isn't canon.

And that's a small summary of Pico School lore. But the worse part is, I don't know if I covered it all. Heck, this was just about Pico, imagine if I talked about the entire Newgrounds cast 0___0

The lore to rival the elder scrolls

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-08 03:51:58

There was this user just like you…

He came because of the latest fad, just like you…

He asked to be filled in on Newgrounds lore, just like you…

And then…

He died horribly.

true story

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-08 05:59:26

I think the best way to find out the lore about the characters you see on NG is to search for their creators' original content that they were featured in, such as you have already done by playing Pico's School and watching the Tankmen series. Any fan depictions will of course vary in their interpretations.

These pages might also help you some with what you want to know about: https://newgrounds.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Characters

BBS Signature

Response to Fill me in on the Newgrounds Lore 2022-03-08 07:13:42

Newgrounds hasn't been the same after 2006, too many butt hurt people who don't have a sense of humor

BBS Signature

Actually, try the Reddit for Newground’s

hello