00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do people still use DVDs?

579 Views | 27 Replies

Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:04:10

I know that things like Netflix and Hulu are the streaming services that everybody uses now and some people buy movies and shows digitally, but does anyone here use DVDs like... at all anymore?

im so sweaty

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:19:45

no, i use vhs like a TRUE hipster

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:26:25

Yea, course I do. I eat them like cookies

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:26:27

At 2/14/21 09:19 PM, DrunkGeckoAssBrain wrote: no, i use vhs like a TRUE hipster

an inspiration to us all.

im so sweaty

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:28:12

At 2/14/21 09:26 PM, Chiliomb wrote:
At 2/14/21 09:19 PM, DrunkGeckoAssBrain wrote: no, i use vhs like a TRUE hipster
an inspiration to us all.

for real though, i dont even watch movies. but if i do, i use websites that are absolutely legal

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:29:48

I have to. All my favorite shows and movies aren't usually on Netflix, so I like to make sure I have them on hand.

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:34:24

Occasionally I do, but not so much anymore. Sometimes DVD is the only legal means you have of watching something because streaming services all have very spotty catalogs with rights that rotate. The last time I went to my local library not long ago, I still saw people checking out stacks of DVDs. Pretty much every other store I go to still carries cheap DVDs at the very least. The format is doing okay.

Though if I'll be honest, I do think DVD should retire into the sunset and just get replaced by blu-ray altogether. Blu-ray players are fairly cheap now and every other game console is capable of playing it. (And as far as I'm aware, I don't think any blu-ray player will stop support for DVD playback.)

iu_241816_7199334.jpg

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 21:34:45

It's only worth buying Blu-rays and steelbooks nowadays

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 23:04:20

I still have an old DVD full of Macromedia software. As for DVD movies, I have a few of them but have little desire to buy more.

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-14 23:07:02

At 2/14/21 09:34 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: Occasionally I do, but not so much anymore. Sometimes DVD is the only legal means you have of watching something because streaming services all have very spotty catalogs with rights that rotate. The last time I went to my local library not long ago, I still saw people checking out stacks of DVDs. Pretty much every other store I go to still carries cheap DVDs at the very least. The format is doing okay.

Though if I'll be honest, I do think DVD should retire into the sunset and just get replaced by blu-ray altogether. Blu-ray players are fairly cheap now

Not where i'm at. They still cost like twice as much as DVDs. My main concern with Blurays is the DRM and region-locking.

At least with DVDs, SOME movies/concert videos are region-free now.

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 02:24:42

no everyone collectively burnt them in a fire at the same time idk how you didnt hear about it

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

I do, for a couple reasons

A) I just have tons of fucking DVDs and was too broke to afford BluRays until very recently. Also I find not everything is on BluRay, like EVERYone made DVDs, but BluRay didn't take off as much and has less releases.

2) Wifi back at my house is often way too spotty for consistent streaming. Especially in my room which is in the farthest possible point from the router. Sometimes Netflix only gets a crisp 144p.

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 02:45:33

At 2/14/21 11:07 PM, DamnWei wrote:
At 2/14/21 09:34 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: Occasionally I do, but not so much anymore. Sometimes DVD is the only legal means you have of watching something because streaming services all have very spotty catalogs with rights that rotate. The last time I went to my local library not long ago, I still saw people checking out stacks of DVDs. Pretty much every other store I go to still carries cheap DVDs at the very least. The format is doing okay.

Though if I'll be honest, I do think DVD should retire into the sunset and just get replaced by blu-ray altogether. Blu-ray players are fairly cheap now
Not where i'm at. They still cost like twice as much as DVDs. My main concern with Blurays is the DRM and region-locking.
At least with DVDs, SOME movies/concert videos are region-free now.

Pretty much this. This is why Blu-Ray sucks. Also Blu-Ray can at any time introduce new encoding in some newer Blu-Ray video that older Blu-Ray players can't play, thus forcing you to constantly upgrade your Blu-Ray player indefinitely or at least until they stop doing that nonsense.

DVDs all have the same encoding standards. This doesn't mean all DVDs play in all DVD players (they don't), but certainly the compatibility is better, at least assuming everything purchased in the same region. But yes sometimes some DVD won't play correctly on certain low-end DVD players but will play correctly on better DVD players. And then sometimes it's just a bad DVD altogether.

Where Blu-Ray has the advantage is the discs are harder to scratch than DVDs are. Also it can store more data than DVDs.

Also it's a lot easier to come by DVD drives on a PC than it is Blu-Ray drives, whether these are simply read-only drives, burnable drives, read/writeable, etc...

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 03:23:13

I buy Blu-Rays. I hate that I'm so stingy for quality that I'll refuse DVDs unless it's the only option. I prefer owning physical copies either way.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 03:53:59

My physical media collection is very small. I wish I had more, but I already have all of my favorite movies on DVD/Blu-ray so I never expand.

If I really like a movie or if I can't find it anywhere online then yeah, I don't mind getting a DVD. Streaming confuses the hell outta me anyway. I feel like an old grandpa.

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 07:35:45

At 2/14/21 09:04 PM, Chiliomb wrote: I know that things like Netflix and Hulu are the streaming services that everybody uses now and some people buy movies and shows digitally, but does anyone here use DVDs like... at all anymore?

Yes, because of international shitty region locking, I can't get Hulu here, nor can I get a range of shows I want to watch, so I am stuck between either getting a DVD, or piracy. While piracy is a service problem, and there is a lack of said service here, I avoid it because I am an honest, upstanding citizen, grinding out my social credit score!

Also because of licences, there is often a lack of the correct region DVD, so I get one from the region the show came from, so the US, and my DVD players are all region free.

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 07:55:25

Mostly blu-ray, the odd 4K, but yes, I still use DVDs.

For anything shot on video (i.e. tons and tons of TV shows) it's the best they're going to look anyway, and I watch a lot of stuff that doesn't make it to streaming platforms.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 09:02:22

I still use DVD's and Blu-Ray, but forget Netflix or Hulu, Use Crunchyroll. We still haven't forgotten about VHS after Blockbuster is dead.

♡︎Married To Boomhauer and Rusty Shackleford♡︎

🪶🧡🐈‍⬛Cherokee/Apache Princess and Queen Of Egypt🧡🪶🐈‍⬛

Redcornpilled🌽💖Professional Yandere 🔪🫀🩸💕💋

BBS Signature

DVDs are nice and convenient, but I also use Laserdiscs.

I am the ultra hipster.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 17:44:04

At 2/14/21 09:04 PM, Chiliomb wrote: I know that things like Netflix and Hulu are the streaming services that everybody uses now and some people buy movies and shows digitally, but does anyone here use DVDs like... at all anymore?

Yes, because it's always better to buy than to lease.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-15 19:23:45

Blurays for movies or series that I love or aren't available to stream, otherwise, not really.

They're too expensive and create clutter for something that you'll likely only use a few times.

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-18 01:41:52

Pssshhh that's poser hipster real hipsters use betamax.

Roma est mater omnium nostrum

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-18 11:59:58

At 2/18/21 01:41 AM, SuperiorGhostgamer wrote:
Pssshhh that's poser hipster real hipsters use betamax.

this is absolutely correct

Notorious internet cunt

She/Her

BBS Signature

At 2/18/21 12:12 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote: The real question is does anyone watch home movies made on a mini DV videotape cassette anymore.

MiniDV, D8, Hi8, 8mm VHS, VHS-C, I got them all :P

Heck I even have some Beta and Betacam tapes lying aroudn somewhere...

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-18 12:55:52

I brought an Alien Nine dvd last year and now starting collect CDs like Daft Punk Discovery album as a hobby.

BBS Signature

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-18 13:08:07

Whenever I move to new place they have a DVD player but not a blu-ray player, and my wifi hates me, so I have many DVDs

Response to Do people still use DVDs? 2021-02-18 17:25:53

I gave them away awhile ago to reduce clutter bc I stopped buying them and never watched them. I still have a DVD player though

BBS Signature