00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

namilos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Move Video Games back to General?

1,125 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 17:54:10

Hey, how would you guys feel if this forum was locked and video game conversation was welcomed back in General?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 18:02:43

100% in favor of this. Conversations move so slowly here that it doesn't seem worth it to start them. Plus, I don't think General would be hurt in any real way by some threads talking about Smash Bros. and the new Xbox.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Since the category would be locked, would the Video Games forum threads be intact and not be removed completely?

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 19:10:42

At 10/1/20 06:57 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Since the category would be locked, would the Video Games forum threads be intact and not be removed completely?

I'm assuming it would be like the The Games Factory 2 and Mobile forums, they are locked and hidden away but not completely removed.

But it couldn't hurt moving video games to General.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 20:17:08

I'm down. That would definitely speed up conversations and widen the audience for the conversations.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 21:12:20

I dunno. The people who frequent general seem very different from those who frequent video games. Plus, general forums get off topic very quickly, and i've seen them devolve into essay length flame wars. not sure if that's a good idea for video game discussions.

tired of people who haven't played FE insulting it

i need to go outside more often...

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-01 22:39:30

Iv'e see so many video game threads in general. It would be a perfect idea.

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 08:55:05

At 10/1/20 06:57 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Since the category would be locked, would the Video Games forum threads be intact and not be removed completely?

Correct, it would be essentially archived.

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 09:06:11

At 10/2/20 08:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Correct, it would be essentially archived.

Thank goodness, and thank you.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

I thought other forums were to get away from the shitposting on General. Right now I suppose General has mellowed down a lot so that doesn't apply anymore.

If the forums become active again to the point where meaningful discussion on video games in General can't easily happen, will the VG forum be reopened?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 09:45:15

At 10/2/20 09:30 AM, Gimmick wrote: I thought other forums were to get away from the shitposting on General. Right now I suppose General has mellowed down a lot so that doesn't apply anymore.

If the forums become active again to the point where meaningful discussion on video games in General can't easily happen, will the VG forum be reopened?

If it ever felt truly necessary it could be an option.

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 10:51:12

That would be alright. I think a video forum should remain if there were more incentive to show up, but I don't think anyone should bare the burden of trying to get people interested here if they weren't already.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 11:12:57

iu_175028_8146500.jpg

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Looks like my vote won't matter but I would be against this. Locking this forum I mean, I don't care one way or the other what's allowed in general. This has always been my home on the forums and for many years was the main thing drawing me to NG. There's a totally different set of regulars and to transition to general wouldn't just be the same but more people, it would be the complete death of what we have over here.

Though I have to concede the community landing page has already largely dissolved the divide between forums anyway as well as the need to visit the actual forums at all.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 16:40:29

At 10/2/20 11:51 AM, Jackho wrote: Looks like my vote won't matter but I would be against this. Locking this forum I mean, I don't care one way or the other what's allowed in general. This has always been my home on the forums and for many years was the main thing drawing me to NG. There's a totally different set of regulars and to transition to general wouldn't just be the same but more people, it would be the complete death of what we have over here.

Though I have to concede the community landing page has already largely dissolved the divide between forums anyway as well as the need to visit the actual forums at all.

Yeah, this is what i'm saying: the kind of people and discussions here in video games are really different from general. if it got moved then topics about games would quickly devolve into shitposting or off topic arguements.

tired of people who haven't played FE insulting it

i need to go outside more often...

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 17:13:26

At 10/1/20 05:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hey, how would you guys feel if this forum was locked and video game conversation was welcomed back in General?

I Don't Really Care If It's Back To General

follow me plz

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 19:43:50

It'll be like the old days!

At least I won't have trouble deciding where VG-related character and music threads go.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-02 22:54:33

I am in favor of this. At a time Video Game threads were saturating General. It has died down though.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 02:09:45

Yeah, it's time. It's kind of a meme at this point, people openly talk about how you can only get replies about video games in General.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 03:57:31

It deems strange to archive all of the topics here. I will miss posting here,

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 08:24:28

I think the best thing would be if doing this made general more like a video games / news on the side forum but you can’t predict what will truly happen. Curious how long it’s been since it was this way before?

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 10:23:33

I'm just fine with it, I think it's a great idea, just don't delete this one, so that people don't lose their posts, if that can be done.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 12:43:18

At 10/3/20 08:24 AM, Boss wrote: Curious how long it’s been since it was this way before?

VG forum was introduced in march 2008 (judging by the oldest threads) if that's what you mean.

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 13:10:14

Since the video game forum is gonna be locked, what's to be of its status of its placement on the community page, specifically the jump to forum option? Have it be separated from "Members" and be put under its own section called "Dead Forums" (or whatever would be a good name for that) so that people won't click on it by mistake if they're trying to go onto one of the "Members" forums? Not like everyone uses a forum leisurely at all time as they could be in a hurry to do a quick post for whatever real life reason, so...

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 14:43:58

At 10/3/20 01:10 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Since the video game forum is gonna be locked, what's to be of its status of its placement on the community page, specifically the jump to forum option? Have it be separated from "Members" and be put under its own section called "Dead Forums" (or whatever would be a good name for that) so that people won't click on it by mistake if they're trying to go onto one of the "Members" forums? Not like everyone uses a forum leisurely at all time as they could be in a hurry to do a quick post for whatever real life reason, so...

It would just be hidden from that listing by default, like some previous forums.

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 15:00:12

At 10/3/20 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: It would just be hidden from that listing by default, like some previous forums.

How many/what forums have been hidden?

I didn't realize there was a BBS graveyard hidden from view.

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-03 15:09:01

At 10/3/20 03:00 PM, tarahloveshentai wrote:
At 10/3/20 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: It would just be hidden from that listing by default, like some previous forums.
How many/what forums have been hidden?

I didn't realize there was a BBS graveyard hidden from view.

It's these two:

The Games Factory 2

Mobile

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-04 03:07:48

Do it.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-04 06:51:27

At 10/1/20 05:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hey, how would you guys feel if this forum was locked and video game conversation was welcomed back in General?

makes total sense.

obama

BBS Signature

Response to Move Video Games back to General? 2020-10-04 15:14:05

I think your idea in the other thread about a "General2 - No Shitposting" would be the way to go. You would just need mod(s) that were willing to warn & delete posts that intentionally threaten to derail topics.

I like @neurolich 's idea of having a "Recreational" forum, also.