00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LeDeter just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Incremental Improvement Club

12,373 Views | 182 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-03-23 13:16:41

Good to hear the trip went well @Jatmoz! All goals or no. Good luck with the new.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-03-29 00:19:59

At 3/20/20 08:19 AM, Ozone wrote:

s) for the month: (Max of 3)

Lose 5 pounds (Currently 196lb)
(4/20/20)

Lost the weight, gained it back lost it again, gained it back, lost it again, currently 189 pounds

Post 8 Art Pieces
(4/20/20)

Didn't post as much art here as I would like. Mostly been focusing on keeping sane in shitty situation. Got animation work done though

Post More Animation tests to NG
What you plan to improve:
Health and Art.

This was going well until I moved here. Things have been really rocky.

Want to get more art done, and since this lock down has been placed on the city it's a good time to control what I do a bit more closely.

Arts been getting better, doing more studies, animating more, my healthy is the shitiests it's ever been in my entire life so just eating healthier in the coming months will improve my life 3 fold.

My goal these next three months are:

Settle into my new job

Finish the animatic.

Start drawing clean character sheets

Regain arm strength.

iu_267004_5077139.gif

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-03-29 05:40:31

At 3/29/21 12:19 AM, Ozone wrote: Regain arm strength.

Wonder what happened to your arm?

Hope you get settled in and things start looking brighter, and holy shit that's a lot of jumping up and down regarding the weight thing! XD Don't seem to ever get it to rise or fall as quickly over here, seems that maybe I eat enough that it's a challenge more so just to keep it level hmm, maybe oughta make diet the big change...

BBS Signature

Soo recap on last month...

At 3/6/21 03:14 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: 1. Cold shower every morning.

Haven't missed a day here, and it really does feel like it sets the tone for the rest of the day too. If you manage that first shower then you can manage anything... sort of. Wonder if I haven't been making them progressively slightly less cold overtime though hmm... shall do something about that.

2. Do at least two real workouts every week and plan them in beforehand.

This went well too. Even if I never seem to be able to schedule in one that lasts as long as I'd like. There's always some meal or work or something coming up at any relevant time of doing. But I have been doing at least a couple every week. Wrote up three per week and occasionally skipped one of them if I really didn't feel up for it, headaches or such, no lack of willpower otherwise.

3. Finish at least one collab.

This one though... no, no collabs this month, been a bit too focused on working and walking pretty much every waking moment instead...

For April:

1. Update all of my minor websites.

2. Do something with a reseller hosting account I bought recently.

3. Finish at least one musical collab.

Shall keep going with the daily showers and weekly work-outs x2 too, and walks, as always, feels like the exercise bit's getting better, better not push that too far too fast.

Coincidentally don't think I've missed a day when it comes to my hundred words or haikus either now, when for the first time I didn't add those to the goals at all...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-04-11 09:45:53

Name: Sobolev

Your main goal(s) for the month: (Max of 3)

Run 5 times a week, 15 minute each day.

Why you joined the club:

I use NG quite a lot and figured it will be convenient way to track my progress. I like the idea of making small goals at a time.

What you plan to improve:

Fitness for the time being.

Feel free to introduce yourself in your first post! (tell us a little about yourself)

Math graduate. Interested in physics/atmospheric science/math. Currently a certified accountant and preparing actuarial exams. Been physically inactive since COVID outbreak.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Ello everyone.

Name's Kraikein, Taco and Jat told me about this club last year and recently reminded me of it, so I figure might as well join it. Figured it might help me track my progress and have actual people hold me accountable for not finishing things

So, my goals for this month are

1. Post more art n animations generally, thinking of posting at least 3 times this month
  2. Clean up a fight scene that Taco's been hassling me to clean up
  3. Starting and finishing a Sonic cartoon inspired by Lupin III.

3rd one might be a bit too much to do in a month, depending on how long it gets, but it's whatever. I wish you all the best of luck!

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-04-13 06:30:22

At 4/12/21 07:49 PM, Kraikein wrote: I wish you all the best of luck!

Ello there/thank you, good luck to you too Kraikein!

And to you too @Sobolev! Ambitious goals both.

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-04-20 22:39:24

April 20th, 2021. checkin' goals time let's see here uhh

1. Finish and upload the "let out and do whatever" project. Don't be a perfectionist, just finish it.

Finished it and uploaded it. It even got me my first frontpage! so I'm happy that I finished it. I wasn't a perfectionist, and because of that I don't feel completely satisfied with it but I feel accomplished nonetheless.

2. Write up three solutions to problems. Also start learning LaTeX. As a test, transcribe all the solutions and problems you've got into a PDF document so it looks pretty.

I only wrote one solution. I didn't do anything with that LaTeX stuff. I feel like I need to change how I approach this math stuff, maybe be more spontaneous instead of setting a rigid list of problems to work on. One of the problems on my list turned out to be genuinely too hard, I couldn't even understand the solution a single bit. I'm gonna try other ways of doing this stuff.

3. Read that calculus book from page 275 to page 306, doing all the worthwhile example problems

Did it. I even got a bit ahead too since the topics that were more interesting were right after these pages.

On the music side of things I feel like I'm starting to decently get the hang of how my inspiration for it works, so I've been able to be more productive with it and I've found a fair bit of ideas I want to work with. But on the maths side I feel like I've lost a lot of steam. I haven't gotten attached to a problem in a while, then again I also feel I'm too rigid sometimes and instead of just going in a direction I'm curious about I just drop it as soon as I write down a solution. I need to ferment that curiosity again. I'm rambling, here's some new goals then:

1. Clean my bedroom, haven't done it in a while.
  2. Start learning LaTeX. As a test, transcribe all the solutions you've got into a PDF document so it looks pretty.
  3. Make a track for _assemblyline_'s next compilation.

hoobooboo byebye then see ya

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-04-21 01:31:22

Heyo, figured since the end of the month is near, I might come and give my pieces to prepare better for next month.

So for the goals, I set last month, they pretty much amounted to, barely any of it was done or worked on.

The first goal was to post more art n animations, I managed to post ONE art piece but I was aiming for 3.

The second was to clean up a fight animation. I didn't even start on, a mix of time, and conflict on what to do. I won't get into specifics, but I don't know whether to finish it or move on to other projects, as I made that animation around a year ago.

The third and final was to start production on a short of Sonic based on the humor of Lupin III and finish it. I did some sketches and planning on making more of a series of shorts rather than just one singular one. I've drawn concept art and got a general idea of how I want the first short to go, but no storyboards or animatics.

Looking at this, it's a mix of things as to why I didn't do well this month. Firstly, my cashier job has gotten me working longer and longer hours, coming home exhausted and by the time I feel re-energized to do anything I have to go to bed and wake up the next day to do it all over again. Second is my time management, the last 2 days I've had off were spent watching the Recobbled Cut, playing Gmod and TF2, sketching concepts, buying a bird feeder and seed, discussing future summer projects in the backyard, etc.

However, this isn't meant to be an excuse for my non-creating in terms of animation and art. More so, an explanation as to get a better idea of what's going on.

Plus it may not have been the best idea to give myself goals for this month in the middle of said month to complete by end of said month, but hey, live and learn.

SO. Goals for May are:

1. Make more stuff, even posting loose sketches or something if that can be done.
  2. Actually get started on doing storyboards for my Sonic project and some animation
  3. Do an animation of Tsuyu from MHA doing a head turn for a style test on Taco's project

Apologies for the inactivity and noncreation on my part, I wish you all the best for next month!

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-04-21 09:48:27

At 4/21/21 01:31 AM, Kraikein wrote: However, this isn't meant to be an excuse for my non-creating in terms of animation and art. More so, an explanation as to get a better idea of what's going on.

Sound similar to my own issues, a combination of at times bad priorities and tiredness, which I think are pretty interlinked. It's harder to motivate when tired. Easier to consume than create. And whenever a project seems if even just a little daunting it's then easier to distract yourself from it than actually push through... understanding seems like the first step to accomplishment anyhow. When you know your weakness you can strengthen.

Good luck with the new ones though and

Apologies for the inactivity and noncreation on my part, I wish you all the best for next month!

...thank you!

At 4/20/21 10:39 PM, Jatmoz wrote: hoobooboo byebye then see ya

byebye Jatmoz. :)

Inspiring deliverability with these goals too. Feeling like another one of my problems in accomplishing things is probably:a somewhat burdening ambition that doesn't really sync with incremental ideals. You make it seem so easy though!

Shall wisen up next month.

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-05 21:31:40

So I didn't get a lot of my goals completed I've been very scatter brain and just going through the motions the last couple of months. Very much becoming more the norm more than I'd like so hopefully I can break that pattern.

I'm going to focus on what I have achieved in the last 2 months first and then go into how I plan on improving on it and what I will aim for in the month of May

What I achieved in April:

1 - I started being more physically active, I think that's largely what I owe my current ability to post this to. I think my mental health has suffered more than I realized recently and this acted as a very good 'circuit breaker' to help me cope with my feeling of isolation. It's very difficult having a lot of close friends on the otherside of the world lol. The approach has been gamification and the 'ringfit' game has helped a lot with me just doing the basic habit building necessary for me to drag myself out of this. The repetition is helping me get some discipline and also improving my energy throughout the day.

Very much hoping I can maintain that for this month so I will update on how I go. Coming for you mr dragon hunk! >:)

2 - I have started the process of buying a house. This feels like a pretty big step for me and has been a large reason for my lack of activity online as i've thrown myself into my work in order to get better results to help me feel more confident about this decision. Hopefully isn't over sharing but at this current point im conditionally approved. Once settlement is completed (if it does that is) I think i can finally go from being a stressed mess to extremely elated at the accomplishment but until then this is a very stressful weight on me. Hoping to be mindful and patient with myself as a response.

3 - I've started a new longer form project. I have mixed feelings about this as starting is something natural where as finishing seems to be something im adverse to. I think thats what has very much influenced my sometimes unrealistic goals. Im constantly trying to prove to myself that I can do great things and in the process sabotaging myself from just doing ....ANYTHING. lol. Definitely been hel[ful collaborating from the get go on this one. I did a random elevator pitch to some friends and they liked it to the point where they asked me about it months after the fact. I think that's really given me the motivation to be regimented and make progress on it. If they believe in the idea I want to make them proud and I want to prove to myself I am capable of finishing things.

iu_297814_5944885.png

iu_297815_5944885.webp

Been working on character designs and production document stuff. At this point a script is finished and we have some scratch audio im powering through the storyboards now :)

Leads me into my goals for May:

1 - I want to maintain my current streak of exercising every day, I think this and a good nights sleep are very integral to me achieving any other goals, so although simple I think it's imperative I list it so I may succeed.

2 - I want to reach settlement, obviously the house situation is weighing on me and I will need to do whatever is in my power to action it. Once this is done it will free me up to focus on more and return to being active online.

3 - My goals for this project mentioned I will include in one, i'm ambitious with it like I usually am but it definitely feels different this time and I feel a lot more organized.

3A - complete storyboards

3B - complete character designs

3C - complete production document

I will need to work with friends on timing sheets and layouts and I think these will take a lot of time, so although I will aim to complete them I do not see it being completed this month.

Im not so good at being disciplined during the week and coming home from work to draw but hopefully with the exercise I can find the extra energy I've lost to being so sedentary (idk if thats how you spell it but hey)

Anyways cheers for reading see you all next month :P

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-06 13:50:50

At 5/5/21 09:31 PM, Tacopug wrote: Anyways cheers for reading see you all next month :P

Even if you're not accomplishing all according to plan it seems you're on an ambitious track though! Nice updates, and the house, woo! Big step there.

I actually attended my first ever executive property auction (property that's been taken into possession to clear out debts etc) this past month, hoping to maybe get myself a place too, but unfortunately the pandemic's affecting the market the wrong way over here. People are moving away from the cities, or getting additional summerhouses; even property that would've gone cheap a few years back is now in high demand... but if there is an opportunity to get something at a tolerable price that seems like the best possible option here. Hope to attend some more of those. Was a learning experience this time.

Regarding my own goals this April... didn't go so well either. Not one accomplished.

Around this time of year everything starts amounting though. Need to start planting crops; get in better shape for all outdoor work; finish ongoing projects at work before vacation kicks in, not to mention any personal projects... think this would be the right time to take a break from these incremental improvements for a while. Gonna focus on essentials for a few months. Finish up as much as possible before I leave, leave the digital realm for a bit and get back to this when it's possible to start working out routines again; hopefully build some good ones for next winter.

Hope y'all have a good summer; good luck with all goals these next few months!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-21 12:29:06

I've done two of the three goals I've set for myself this month. I'm gonna give myself until the next month to get the last one done, it's likely also more convenient to have goals synced with the end of each month instead of in the middle. So, 11 days from now, see ya then.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-27 23:56:33

Hey, Hey, Hey, how's it going today? Figure since it's about the end of the month I figure I give progress on my goals, as well as my next goals

Make more stuff, even posting loose sketches or something if that can be done.

Well I have done more sketches but technically haven't posted here, but I did do an animation of Sonic on my page so that's something at least

Actually get started on doing storyboards for my Sonic project and some animation

Well, I just started on the storyboards, so... win? Meh, it's somewhere, better than last time

Do an animation of Tsuyu from MHA doing a head turn for a style test on Taco's project

Done and done, you can also see that on my page, Taco helped make it much smoother by cutting frames.

Been somewhat busy with work but I see now I gotta be more firm with talking to them about moving departments, rather not sound like a baby but every time I start a cashier shift, all the life is sucked out of me and I feel absolutely miserable. If that doesn't work I'll find a new job. Ideally still trying to find animation work, but hopefully I can find work that isn't retail. If it is, hopefully, it isn't cashiering lol.

Had me 21st Birthday on the 14th and reaffirmed my distaste and hatred of alcohol, probably better for me in the long run.

Aight aight, so here's my goals for the next month.

1. Improve my job or find a new job, depending on the circumstances
  2. Make more art n stuff, post more to NG both in creation and news posts. Experiment a bit more with animations and art, hell maybe post some NSFW art, who knows??
  3. Try to be more active. In the Sonic Project, socially, physically, etc. Head out some more, try to hang out with friends, maybe tidy up around the house, maybe meet a someone someone, lose some weight/gain some muscle, etc.

Aight, cheers everyone! I wish you all the best of luck and excited to hear how your goals are going/your new goals!

At 5/27/21 11:56 PM, Kraikein wrote: Had me 21st Birthday on the 14th and reaffirmed my distaste and hatred of alcohol, probably better for me in the long run.

That sounds like a rare but positive trait indeed!

Happy 21st, and sounds like you're progressing with the increementals too!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-30 00:56:17

At 5/29/21 02:59 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/27/21 11:56 PM, Kraikein wrote: Had me 21st Birthday on the 14th and reaffirmed my distaste and hatred of alcohol, probably better for me in the long run.
That sounds like a rare but positive trait indeed!

Happy 21st, and sounds like you're progressing with the increementals too!

Thanks dude! Trying to get off me arse and do more, plus I'm fat so I'd rather not add alcohol to the mix of unhealthiness.

At 5/30/21 12:56 AM, Kraikein wrote: Thanks dude! Trying to get off me arse and do more, plus I'm fat so I'd rather not add alcohol to the mix of unhealthiness.

For sure, anything that helps with weight control's handy. I started with cold showers and coffee in part hoping it might help out with that too. Better blood circulation = better metabolism. If those elements do help they're not particularly noticeable though... still gotta manage to get out more and move. Or just move more often when sitting still, apparently just a few minutes now and then might be worth as much as a full workout.

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-30 11:43:28

My mind is set on doing 2 things right now and they both revolve around my October competition.

Add 5 pounds to my max log press every month and press 250-260 in competition.

Add 10 pounds to my wagon wheel deadlift every month and deadlift 575 to 600 in competition.

It's a really cool event that's run world wide. Compared to last year's numbers if I can put these numbers up I'll be somewhere in the top 30 in my weight class in the world!

Everything I'm doing in training really revolves around those two things. Even though I have another competition before that, this is the one I'm prepping for.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-05-30 14:53:52

At 5/30/21 11:43 AM, Fro wrote: Everything I'm doing in training really revolves around those two things. Even though I have another competition before that, this is the one I'm prepping for.

Really seems like you have the iron discipline you need for something like this! Hyped to see how it goes, if it's anywhere near as good as the recent one...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-01 11:44:10

At 5/30/21 02:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/30/21 11:43 AM, Fro wrote: Everything I'm doing in training really revolves around those two things. Even though I have another competition before that, this is the one I'm prepping for.
Really seems like you have the iron discipline you need for something like this! Hyped to see how it goes, if it's anywhere near as good as the recent one...

I also realized that I'm only about 35 pounds away from my State bench press record. (Not exactly as it's actually done in kg, but I'm just not used to using that cause murica, proper numbers listed down below)

Well one of the records. There's a ton of divisions based on body weight and even other factors such as 'tested" or "non tested" divisions. (non tested would be a division where people using steroids can compete)

So for my body weight, the 90kg class. I'm 15kg away from holding my state's "raw" (no equipment like elbow sleeves) tested division (no steroid usage) bench press record. I should definitely go for it as I think it'll just naturally come with my already used progression for lifting in the next 6 to 12 months.

Just got to see if it's worth paying $200 to have my name on a certificate that says I'm the top 90kg raw tested bench presser in the state of California lol.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-01 12:40:39

At 6/1/21 11:44 AM, Fro wrote:
At 5/30/21 02:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
I also realized that I'm only about 35 pounds away from my State bench press record. (Not exactly as it's actually done in kg, but I'm just not used to using that cause murica, proper numbers listed down below)

Well one of the records. There's a ton of divisions based on body weight and even other factors such as 'tested" or "non tested" divisions. (non tested would be a division where people using steroids can compete)

So for my body weight, the 90kg class. I'm 15kg away from holding my state's "raw" (no equipment like elbow sleeves) tested division (no steroid usage) bench press record. I should definitely go for it as I think it'll just naturally come with my already used progression for lifting in the next 6 to 12 months.

Just got to see if it's worth paying $200 to have my name on a certificate that says I'm the top 90kg raw tested bench presser in the state of California lol.

Ah man those costs! XD Sounded so good up till that bit! Though maybe worth it after all hmm.

Interesting to know there's actually a division intended for steroid users too, didn't think that was anything they'd want to support. Seems like maybe the one sport with an exception for it.

Hype hype! Hope the plan goes as planned here.

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-01 12:42:54

At 6/1/21 11:46 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: My goals:

Myself being famous
Making audios
Playing Geometry Dash and other games

Also I will study if exams are close

Nice goals. If you want to split those goals into more specific; manageable and incremental steps this is the perfect place for it too. ;)

Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-01 18:26:45

Right, now to revise my goals.

1. Clean my bedroom, haven't done it in a while.

Did it, looks so friggin' better now.

2. Start learning LaTeX. As a test, transcribe all the solutions you've got into a PDF document so it looks pretty.

Did it. This was the one I got delayed until now, laziness kicked in and I kept wondering why I wanted to learn it in the first place but I remember now, oh my goodness gracious it is so much easier to write in here than by hand and it looks so pretty too jesus christ. It's nice.

3. Make a track for _assemblyline_'s next compilation.

Did it, although the version I sent them felt unfinished (or was but don't tell them that) so I revised it when uploading it here. The version over there seems to be doing alright nonetheless though. Still, it's all aboUT PUMPING SHIT OUT, I'm one track away from matching the amount of songs I did in both 2018 and 2019 and we'RE ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH THE YEAR HELL YEAH.

Now, new freakin' goals let's see here...

1. Finish that "feelin' some complex electro" project, and send it in for _assemblyline_'s next compilation.
  2. Solve at least 12 out of the 27 problems in pages 37 to 39 of that Art and Craft of Problem Solving book.
  3. Try learning Clair De Lune on piano. If it's too hard and you can't learn it by next month, do two or three of the rest of the excercises of that last Czerny paper the teacher gave you.

That'll do it. I'm feeling demanding this month. See ya in 30 days.

At 3/29/21 12:19 AM, Ozone wrote: My goal these next three months are:
Settle into my new job

Settled in finally. Kinda a rough transition

Finish the animatic.

Currently working on that now

Start drawing clean character sheets

Started doing those as well almost done

Regain arm strength.

Arms still like fucking noodles. Legs are fucking rock hard thanks to leg weights training on hikes. Need to do more arm exercises so I got a kettle bell recently.

3 months from now:

1. I'm still gonna be working here.
  2. Better cardiovascular health.
  3. Get my animatic done for realsies.
  4. Weight is all kinds of fucked atm due my shitty diet so any weight loss atm is bad hoping to maintain 190 until then.

iu_326199_5077139.png

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-09 12:34:42

At 5/30/21 11:43 AM, Fro wrote: My mind is set on doing 2 things right now and they both revolve around my October competition.

Add 10 pounds to my wagon wheel deadlift every month and deadlift 575 to 600 in competition.

It's a really cool event that's run world wide. Compared to last year's numbers if I can put these numbers up I'll be somewhere in the top 30 in my weight class in the world!

Everything I'm doing in training really revolves around those two things. Even though I have another competition before that, this is the one I'm prepping for.

I have successfully added 5 pounds to my log press so far, 235 x 1 is now my new personal best. Looking to add 15 more pounds.

Cool video of the log lift

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-09 16:07:14

At 6/9/21 12:34 PM, Fro wrote: Cool video of the log lift

That was a pretty cool video!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-09 21:05:01

At 6/9/21 12:34 PM, Fro wrote:
At 5/30/21 11:43 AM, Fro wrote: My mind is set on doing 2 things right now and they both revolve around my October competition.

I have successfully added 5 pounds to my log press so far, 235 x 1 is now my new personal best. Looking to add 15 more pounds.

Cool video of the log lift

Damn Fro! That video was awesome! It's really cool to see tangible signs of people hitting their goals, maybe we should encourage more people to add videos if they are relevant.

Also on a side note you are now my hero that look superhuman to me.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-10 16:59:59

You know I always wrote off the crews and clubs forum but this thread is maybe making me rethink that assessment, its nice to see different people on the forum rooting for improvement in each other. I wish we had more of this over in the art forum.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 6/10/21 04:59 PM, Template88 wrote: You know I always wrote off the crews and clubs forum but this thread is maybe making me rethink that assessment, its nice to see different people on the forum rooting for improvement in each other. I wish we had more of this over in the art forum.

Nice to hear that; nice to see you here too Template88!

Maybe every category of creation needs its own incremental improvement implementing and facilitating gathering hmm...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-06-14 15:13:58

Yo so im new to newgrounds and if you see my profile pic then yes i like fnf but anyways, since i dream of becoming a professional gamer as well to fight my laziness here are my goals

-Become better at fnf

-read at least one book each day at 5:00 pm

-Become better at Dragon Ball Fighterz

Why i joined: Seeing people make progress towards their goals motivates me to do the same

Why i wanted to improve: I decided to do something about my laziness and become who i wanted to be