00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonMugen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Give the Gift of Supporter!

13,740 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Gifting Supporter

‘Tis the season of giving! We just pushed a few updates to our Supporter upgrade. When you visit a user page, if the user doesn’t have a Supporter logo next to their name you will now see a gift icon in its place - click this to gift them Supporter status!

@BrandyBuizel already tried it with @SouljaBoy:

iu_78967_1.jpg

Gifting has always been an option but traditionally required manual name entry on the Supporter purchase form, vs a convenient link that encourages gifting. 

We’ve also introduced a checkbox that lets you control whether your gift is anonymous. Gifting was previously anonymous; now you can make your gift known and see your name on the Wall of Honor

You can edit the private / public status of your gifts via your Supporter history page, which we plan to tidy up a bit.

If you aren’t familiar with our Supporter upgrade, it’s $3 per month or $25 for the year with the option to pay more if you’d like to give additional support. Supporters browse NG ad-free with a variety of perks. 

Long-term we’d like for NG to be entirely funded by supporters, with enough surplus to establish a new rev-share system that isn’t based on ads (think of it as Spotify or Netflix for indie web content but free for people who can’t pay). We’re making gradual progress towards this goal each year and your support is greatly appreciated!

On the topic of funding, we’ll likely be running a video ad campaign for the last few weeks of 2019 to help cover some expenses from the year. We plan for the ads to only show for unregistered users and no more than 2-3 ads per day.

Collabinator

Last week we updated The Collabinator, introducing new categories for those seeking paid work and those looking to hire, in addition to the existing category for people who just want to make stuff with other talented individuals.

We added tags with tag search and copied the existing “Open for Commissions” blog posts into the “Open for Paid Work” category. We’ll be adding ratings filters and have a big list of improvements we hope to make in this space, while also promoting it more around the site.

Newgrounds OC Animation Competition

What started as a writing competition, followed by an art and voice acting competition, has now moved on to the final segment: the Animation Competition! Utilizing the script, character designs and voice demos, create a trailer or teaser for what an actual episode might look like!

Ruffle - In Browser Flash Emulation

If you missed it, Ruffle now has a sponsor page on GitHub! Ruffle is a project created by @Mike to create an open-source Flash emulator. We’ll soon be using Ruffle on NG to emulate Flash in-browser for most of the existing animation and some of the games. The goal for Ruffle is to support every SWF (Flash file) but it will need a lot of time, effort and ongoing support from Flash enthusiasts!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

wait didnt @ninjamuffin99 do that first

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:03:13

At 12/17/19 04:00 PM, Snackers wrote:

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:04:54

At 12/17/19 04:03 PM, TomFulp wrote:

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

NO. THATS NOT TRUE, IT CANT BE, HE'S A FAKE GAMER??????????

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:12:45

At 12/17/19 04:04 PM, Snackers wrote:

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

Soulja's got champagne for his real friends, real pain for his sham friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:12:59

kek

Would love to support ruffle if github accepted paypal balance

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:14:42

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

Brandy gotta keep up, I did this shit last December. With new update I can also see EVERYONE i've ever gifted supporter status to. Man im so generous and humble this list sure is big this screenshot is just a sliver of it

https://twitter.com/ninja_muffin99/status/1073037798561636353

iu_78763_5520715.png

iu_78764_5520715.png

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:15:48

At 12/17/19 04:14 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

Brandy gotta keep up, I did this shit last December. With new update I can also see EVERYONE i've ever gifted supporter status to. Man im so generous and humble this list sure is big this screenshot is just a sliver of it

It's true, he actually inspired me to continue the giving

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

Oh wow, once you have the option to make all those public you might top the inevitable Gifter Leaderboard.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:26:48

Awesome, I noticed the gift icon. I'll be using that in the future for sure.

Also, can we get a plug for the OC competition?

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 16:32:13

At 12/17/19 04:26 PM, CoachFro wrote:Awesome, I noticed the gift icon. I'll be using that in the future for sure.

Also, can we get a plug for the OC competition?

Oh good call, meant to plug that this week! Updating post now.

BBS Signature

At 12/17/19 04:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

Oh wow, once you have the option to make all those public you might top the inevitable Gifter Leaderboard.

Even when I am dirt poor I still scramble paypal money together to gift Newgrounds supporter status. A true king serves his people before he rules.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-17 17:23:55

I'm up to twenty-one gifted year badges so far, but it took four years to reach that. Someday, I hope to make it to fifty, but my job doesn't really pay all that well, so I don't know. Maybe within another four years?

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-18 09:22:56

So this is what you were talking about @EvilAntonioUTTP! Hmm why not. This Christmas spirit's becoming pretty competitive, and there is that somewhat competetive thing about competition...

Good to see the Collabinator page got pretty streamlined too, guide and all. 2019 seems to be ending with pretty awesome progress; great things lined up for 2020! The dystopian Flash death looming no longer seems as much of an obstacle. More like a small compatability roadbump.

Awesome everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-18 12:53:32

Well that's a nice feature to add, I was thinking for the supporter gift, when Christmas is over, maybe change the support icon's color into orange or silhouette the supporter badge/gear, that might look appealing at any day of the year. (Not that it could work, but it's something.)

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

At 12/18/19 12:53 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote:Well that's a nice feature to add, I was thinking for the supporter gift, when Christmas is over, maybe change the support icon's color into orange or silhouette the supporter badge/gear, that might look appealing at any day of the year. (Not that it could work, but it's something.)

Sounds like a great idea. Feels like Christmas makes it all the more special, but as long as it's still more special when it's Christmas, why not have something there the entire year...

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-18 22:38:17

At 12/18/19 05:42 PM, NekoMika wrote:Thanks a bunch for the Supporter status @TomFulp! I truly appreciate it.

If Mr. Fulp gifted one today, then I guess I will, too. Merry Newgrounds, whomever I choose!

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 01:13:54

At 12/17/19 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:Gifting Supporter

‘Tis the season of giving! When you visit a user page, if the user doesn’t have a Supporter logo next to their name you will now see a gift icon in its place - click this to gift them Supporter status!

It would be awesome to be a supporter. I have never been one before. Its a brave new world.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 01:30:36

Ah shit here we go again its almost time for my biannual supporter status upgrade.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 04:33:50

Did some santa work yesterday think i gifted like 4 different artists i like a subscription, merry crimbis everybody, what a wonderful feature!

At 12/17/19 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:Gifting Supporter

‘Tis the season of giving! We just pushed a few updates to our Supporter upgrade. When you visit a user page, if the user doesn’t have a Supporter logo next to their name you will now see a gift icon in its place - click this to gift them Supporter status!

Gifting has always been an option but traditionally required manual name entry on the Supporter purchase form, vs a convenient link that encourages gifting. 

We’ve also introduced a checkbox that lets you control whether your gift is anonymous. Gifting was previously anonymous; now you can make your gift known and see your name on the Wall of Honor. 

You can edit the private / public status of your gifts via your Supporter history page, which we plan to tidy up a bit.

If you aren’t familiar with our Supporter upgrade, it’s $3 per month or $25 for the year with the option to pay more if you’d like to give additional support. Supporters browse NG ad-free with a variety of perks. 

Long-term we’d like for NG to be entirely funded by supporters, with enough surplus to establish a new rev-share system that isn’t based on ads (think of it as Spotify or Netflix for indie web content but free for people who can’t pay). We’re making gradual progress towards this goal each year and your support is greatly appreciated!

On the topic of funding, we’ll likely be running a video ad campaign for the last few weeks of 2019 to help cover some expenses from the year. We plan for the ads to only show for unregistered users and no more than 2-3 ads per day.

Collabinator

Last week we updated The Collabinator, introducing new categories for those seeking paid work and those looking to hire, in addition to the existing category for people who just want to make stuff with other talented individuals.

We added tags with tag search and copied the existing “Open for Commissions” blog posts into the “Open for Paid Work” category. We’ll be adding ratings filters and have a big list of improvements we hope to make in this space, while also promoting it more around the site.

Newgrounds OC Animation Competition

What started as a writing competition, followed by an art and voice acting competition, has now moved on to the final segment: the Animation Competition! Utilizing the script, character designs and voice demos, create a trailer or teaser for what an actual episode might look like!

Ruffle - In Browser Flash Emulation

If you missed it, Ruffle now has a sponsor page on GitHub! Ruffle is a project created by @Mike to create an open-source Flash emulator. We’ll soon be using Ruffle on NG to emulate Flash in-browser for most of the existing animation and some of the games. The goal for Ruffle is to support every SWF (Flash file) but it will need a lot of time, effort and ongoing support from Flash enthusiasts!

hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 04:35:32

Is this rapper bragging now

HE WAS JUST PRETENDING!

hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 17:23:15

I was hoping that it would also have a random option, like I could give Supporter status to a random user.

This is still nice, tho

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-19 19:03:35

At 12/19/19 05:23 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:I was hoping that it would also have a random option, like I could give Supporter status to a random user.

This is still nice, tho

That would be neat, hey @TomFulp, can you make a random subscriber gift!

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-20 06:04:40

At 12/19/19 07:03 PM, Little-Rena wrote:
At 12/19/19 05:23 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote:I was hoping that it would also have a random option, like I could give Supporter status to a random user.

This is still nice, tho

Thirding! That would be pretty cool.

Props on ways to also somewhat refine the randomization process, say maybe: users who've been here x years, or have never had a supporter badge before, or have contributed content, or have been active the last x days... or maybe this is all just complicating things unnecessarily. Maybe simply a random but active user.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-20 11:31:35

At 12/20/19 06:04 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

This is still nice, tho

Props on ways to also somewhat refine the randomization process, say maybe: users who've been here x years, or have never had a supporter badge before, or have contributed content, or have been active the last x days... or maybe this is all just complicating things unnecessarily. Maybe simply a random but active user.

Random, but active user who doesn't currently have a supporter status. That would be pretty cool.

At 12/20/19 11:31 AM, CoachFro wrote:
At 12/20/19 06:04 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

This is still nice, tho

Random, but active user who doesn't currently have a supporter status. That would be pretty cool.

Sounds about perfect! I could go for that. Maybe just a toggle for people who currently don't have the status and people who have never had it, to really bring in some new and possibly very poor and/or appreciative peeps there.

Probably overcomplicating things again hmm... any kind of random toggle: I'm happy.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-21 01:24:12

nice

How to see how gave the gift?

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-21 14:23:34

At 12/21/19 02:21 PM, GameBalance wrote:How to see how gave the gift?

I gifted you that one via our admin tool so it shows as "awarded" instead of as a gift.

BBS Signature

Response to Give the Gift of Supporter! 2019-12-21 14:24:56

At 12/21/19 02:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/21/19 02:21 PM, GameBalance wrote:How to see how gave the gift?

I gifted you that one via our admin tool so it shows as "awarded" instead of as a gift.

Oh wows

BBS Signature