00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest

5,887 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-04 11:09:17

Back in May we started a competition with the idea of creating a new newgrounds character base and animation. So far we have held a writing competition in which @Unabated won with their story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice.

We then moved on to an art competition to try and bring on some artists or at the very least some concept art for the animator. We had a ton of great turn outs which you can view on my playlist here, but in the end @Unabated decided that @MrShmoods had the right vision with the following piece.

There were also a lot of honorable mentions there so I highly recommend checking out the playlist mentioned above.

Now we move on to the next steps. The voice acting and theme song sections! Find the voice acting section here. If you're also a voice actor or want to team up with a voice actor feel free to organize that. You can include voice acting in your theme song or music in their voice acting. etc...

Rules:

Only 2 submissions per person.

Nothing really. Just check out the story, the concept art, and what the artist was feeling for the concept art and make something that you think could fit to an introduction or credit scene to this animation. I know it's a bit challenging because you don't have an animation to work off of, but think of it as your contribution will actually help dictate what the final animations will look like!

You can use an older submissions as long as you think they would fit the theme, but we do recommend creating something new. The whole concept is to create an original piece.

Submit to the audio portal and link here by the deadline.

Any other audio rules apply here as well.

Deadline:

11/4/19 - Midnight EST

Prizes:

1st Place: Supporter Status, you get to join the team of judges for the next stages of the competition. Your audio will be used in the animation or you will have the chance to create something new for the animation when the time comes.

2nd Place: Supporter Status

3rd Place: Supporter Status

Other:

Just because you aren't chosen to be the 1st place doesn't mean that you might not get asked to help out with the final product. Perhaps something will fall through or there are different opportunities throughout the process where different audio would be desired.

At the end of the day @Unabated and @MrShmoods have the final say. This is more about community building and coming together to make something original.

Hmm... sounds fun. I have no idea if I understood everything cause the post is kinda vague, but having just 1 character to write a tune for seems pretty limiting. Wait, so... the goal is to make an intro/outro for the story or a theme song for the 'Guy' character? Cause these two options can be approached in two different ways.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-04 12:37:35

At 10/4/19 12:10 PM, CzySzy wrote: Hmm... sounds fun. I have no idea if I understood everything cause the post is kinda vague, but having just 1 character to write a tune for seems pretty limiting. Wait, so... the goal is to make an intro/outro for the story or a theme song for the 'Guy' character? Cause these two options can be approached in two different ways.

Sorry, didn't realize that it was unclear. I can see where it could be unclear though. The idea is to make an intro/outro to this script. Basically a piece of music that could dictate to an animator what their introduction would look like. Instead of making music to an already existing intro to an animation, you're instead making music to shape what an intro to the animation could look like. I hope that kind of makes sense. I might not be wording it the right way.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

The Guy character was just included in the post to give a bit of background on what has been done so far.

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-04 19:44:13

At 10/4/19 07:19 PM, OrangeTheory wrote: Wait, so are participants making a musical piece or voice acting just for that character picture you linked?

I think Fro made it clear now. You gotta make an intro/outro tune for a cartoon based on the winning story. The character is just for inspiration. Am I right?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-05 10:33:31

At 10/4/19 07:44 PM, CzySzy wrote:
At 10/4/19 07:19 PM, OrangeTheory wrote: Wait, so are participants making a musical piece or voice acting just for that character picture you linked?
I think Fro made it clear now. You gotta make an intro/outro tune for a cartoon based on the winning story. The character is just for inspiration. Am I right?

Correct.

The character is just there to show the background of the competition so far. We held a writing competition and then an art competition. Now we are on to the theme song or intro/outro to the script.

I mention the voice acting just because there's another thread in the voice acting forum and thought if someone wanted voices in their theme they could check out that thread and message someone to collaborate. Just a thought. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-05 12:07:01

At 10/5/19 11:36 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/5/19 10:33 AM, Fro wrote:
Correct.

The character is just there to show the background of the competition so far. We held a writing competition and then an art competition. Now we are on to the theme song or intro/outro to the script.

I mention the voice acting just because there's another thread in the voice acting forum and thought if someone wanted voices in their theme they could check out that thread and message someone to collaborate. Just a thought. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
So, we're the ones writing the story, then. That's even better.
In that case, I'm going to write a gangsta story. Because I can. That's why.

Wait how did you get that out of what I said? Its pretty clear in the opening post. There's already a story. There's already art. You're making a theme song based off of these already existing products just like the opening post states. I'm confused at what I said wrong in the opening post to cause so much confusion.

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-05 20:31:12

At 10/5/19 08:10 PM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/5/19 12:07 PM, Fro wrote:
At 10/5/19 11:36 AM, OrangeTheory wrote:
At 10/5/19 10:33 AM, Fro wrote:
Correct.

So, we're the ones writing the story, then. That's even better.
In that case, I'm going to write a gangsta story. Because I can. That's why.
Wait how did you get that out of what I said? Its pretty clear in the opening post. There's already a story. There's already art. You're making a theme song based off of these already existing products just like the opening post states. I'm confused at what I said wrong in the opening post to cause so much confusion.
Oh, fuck...
Oh, duh, what the hell is wrong with me?
I understand now. I pick one of the winning stories or OCs. Music or voice acting based on that.

There's one winning story. The one linked to by @unabated in my original post.

Imagine that winning story is an animation. In this thread create a theme song for that animation.

The the voice acting thread in the voice acting forum is a seperate competition.

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-14 06:44:23

At 10/4/19 11:09 AM, Fro wrote: Back in May we started a competition with the idea of creating a new newgrounds character base and animation. So far we have held a writing competition in which @Unabated won with their story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice.

We then moved on to an art competition to try and bring on some artists or at the very least some concept art for the animator. We had a ton of great turn outs which you can view on my playlist here, but in the end @Unabated decided that @MrShmoods had the right vision with the following piece.

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/mrshmoods/newgrounds-character-contest-guy-sticker

There were also a lot of honorable mentions there so I highly recommend checking out the playlist mentioned above.

Now we move on to the next steps. The voice acting and theme song sections! Find the voice acting section here. If you're also a voice actor or want to team up with a voice actor feel free to organize that. You can include voice acting in your theme song or music in their voice acting. etc...

Rules:

Only 2 submissions per person.

Nothing really. Just check out the story, the concept art, and what the artist was feeling for the concept art and make something that you think could fit to an introduction or credit scene to this animation. I know it's a bit challenging because you don't have an animation to work off of, but think of it as your contribution will actually help dictate what the final animations will look like!

You can use an older submissions as long as you think they would fit the theme, but we do recommend creating something new. The whole concept is to create an original piece.

Submit to the audio portal and link here by the deadline.

Any other audio rules apply here as well.

Deadline:

11/4/19 - Midnight EST

Prizes:

1st Place: Supporter Status, you get to join the team of judges for the next stages of the competition. Your audio will be used in the animation or you will have the chance to create something new for the animation when the time comes.

2nd Place: Supporter Status

3rd Place: Supporter Status

Other:

Just because you aren't chosen to be the 1st place doesn't mean that you might not get asked to help out with the final product. Perhaps something will fall through or there are different opportunities throughout the process where different audio would be desired.

At the end of the day @Unabated and @MrShmoods have the final say. This is more about community building and coming together to make something original.

Sounds interesting but i'm an impersonator so does that help

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-14 15:16:03

If the impersonations you do would fit the character you are trying for. Do your best and we will see. No harm in throwing something in there.

Writer, Unabated

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-14 16:51:00

@K-CoolRGS wrote:

Sounds interesting but i'm an impersonator so does that help

Just note that this thread is for the theme song competition. The voice acting competition is in the voice acting forum.

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-10-24 09:53:51

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-11-03 21:56:33

bursts through the door

WHERE IS HE?! WHERE IS THAT JANITOR?! I'LL BET HE HAS THAT HEART, THAT CRIMI-

...oh, wait, my bad. Wrong room. Eh, well, while I'm here, you guys can take this.

hi, I do things that make sounds and put them on this site, you can check out my stuff if you want.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-11-05 14:43:34

When are you gonna announce that SplatterDash won? xD

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Theme Song Contest 2019-11-20 19:00:11

Because there were so many submissions to strum through.... well... sorry for the wait, but the results are in... You both win! Kind of, there must be a 1st place though. :P

The judges agreed that they thought the following deserved to be the theme.

1st Place: @SplatterDash

So expect a message from me in the next couple of weeks with the next steps.

----------

The very close 2nd: @CzySzy

Comments from the judges:

Both agreed that SplatterDash's entry was a good fit for a theme song, but thought CzySzy's would be great as a backing track.

Perhaps there is room for both of them in the final product.

----------

The next steps will be a competition for an animated intro to the story using the winning theme song, some voices from the voice actors, and concept art that was produced to help the animators envision the characters. I'll be at the drawing board there, but I'm going to attempt to put some money down for the winner of that competition.