00:00
00:00

MWC19 - May - Original NG Character

2,272 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to May 2019's Monthly Writing Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - MWC19 - Original NG Character - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm slightly behind, but let's keep these going! I've taken in a foster child and my schedule has been hectic. Let's make it even more hectic by creating a new and exciting writing prompt that perhaps could be turned into an animation at the end result!

• THEME:

I want you to create a completely original character and write a script out for a pilot episode. (I'll post an example of an older submission of my own down below so you can have a general idea of the style that I'm talking about.)

The idea is to create an original character and for us to take the winners month by month through a process to have it developed into an animation posted on Newgrounds.

The first step will be you're submission, then we can go to the art forum and get some concept art/character design. After that, off to the audio forum to get some theme music. The next step will be to the voice acting forum to find the voice of our winning characters. Finally, we will take the last month and run an animation competition for the winners.

Each part of the step will be it's own competition and the winners will be included in the judging process for the rest of the interaction with this so they always have a say in what the final product sounds and looks like.

• RESTRICTIONS:

1. Word Count Minimum: N/A
  2. Word Count Maximum: N/A

(Instead of a word count min/max, try and keep the writing in a manageable first episode timeline. Nothing too long that would make it too hard to get animated)

1. Story must be include original characters created by you.
  2. Story must be submitted by the deadline below

• Deadline:

June 10th 2019: Midnight EST (A little extra time because this one should be for fun!)

• Prizes:

1st Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated

2nd Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated

3rd Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated

• SUBMITTING

1. Post your stories in this thread.
  2. Do not post revisions in this thread. They will be deleted.
  3. You may submit one story only, one time.
  4. Only submit stories that you've written for this competition. I don't want stories that you've written in the past. The point is to write something new and to challenge yourself. If your story shows up as plagarized (aka, found anywhere else on the internet, even if written by you) it will be disqualified.

• Judges:

1. Fro

(I will look for some more judges. Hopefully ones that can help with the entirety of this process)

Response to MWC19 - May - Original NG Character 2019-05-01 14:45:57

I'm not entering the competition. Just giving an example below.

----------

Untitled

Characters:

Victor (trying to rise back to the top)

Fetti Cinni (Victor's side kick)

Norm Hick (kid)

The Don (Not all there)

Cathy Hick (the mother)

Hobo (not all there)

Scene 1

(Dons Office)

The Don - (Inaudible talking)

(Body guard 1 enters)

Body Guard 1 - Don, McDonalds hasn't been paying their protection.

The Don - I'm with somebody talk to Tony

(Victor Enters)

Victor - You wanted to see me?

The Don - We have a slight problem, there's no mayonnaise on this sandwich.

Body Guard 1 - Sir, your condition...

The Don - I would shoot you now, but I'm running out of family. As I was saying you're out of the family business, Victor. Apparently, that incident with chicken feathers at the family's annual party didn't go over too well.

Victor - I thought this was about mayonnaise.

The Don - Don't change the subject. You're out, but you'll still have work. (Don hands Victor paper) Cathy Hick...

Victor (interrupts) - You want me to whack her?

The Don - Do not discuss your personal desires with me. She has a kid. You get to play nanny. Call the number and shell give you the time and place. Get out.

(Victor leaves)

(Don takes bite of sandwich)

Scene 2 (Next day)

(In city)

(Victor walking down sidewalk encounters a hobo)

Hobo - four times fifteen pieces is not...

Victor - What the hell did you say..?

Hobo - No I didn't!! Leprechaun! (Points at a dancing leprechaun)(Hobo laughs hysterically)

(Victor looks but there isn't anything there)

(Victor keeps walking to pay phone)

(Victor looks at paper)

Victor - Damn long distance..

Hobo -(passes by) Armageddon!!

(Victor dials number)

Cathy Hick - Put the hose down! Hello?

Victor - You have a job for me? You need a babysitter right?

Cathy - You have my address... pick him up at 7 P.M. And try to avoid where I work the corner of 5th and Maple. Oh, by the way, it's his birthday today so give him a good time. And don't forget to give him his pills he tends to get light headed every now and then. Later.

(Victor hangs up. He turns to exit phone booth.)

Hobo - (pushing his face against glass door) Bwahh... Zombies, they got me... Go on I'll be infected soon. (Hobo falls on sidewalk and spasms.)

(Victor takes alcohol bottle out of hobo's pocket. Takes a swig, looks at his watch and walks away. )

Scene 3

(Shows Fetti watching TV in recliner. Reaches down and starches his ass. He passes out. Surrounded by beer and cheese)

Scene 4

7:00 p.m. (in front of Cathys)

Victor pulls up on moped, gets off. Walks up to door and rings doorbell.

Cathy - You must be the guy.

Victor - That's me.

Norm - (walks into door) Mom where's my Mr. Robo Guy?

(Flashes back to Cathy cramming Mr. Robo Guy down toilet.)

Cathy (in flash back) - Goddamnit flush!!

Cathy - (present) I don't know Honey.. I gotta go

Norm - (excited and energetic) Oh my god oh my god! Do you know what today is?

(looking at calendar which reads "Tuesday the 25th", takes out liquor bottle) Uh.. Friday?

Norm - NO NO NO NO NO! It's my birthday! I have a cake! My mommy made it!

(both go into kitchen, cake is sitting on table. Camera cuts to cake, which has hair and cigarette butts in it)

Norm - My mommy said it was ber-bun flavored. And she said if I don't eat it then she'll have to give it to Sparkles.

(Camera cuts to reveal a three-legged dog with no tail.)

Victor - Cute dog kid. (Pulls out a cigarette) where's a lighter?

Norm - They're up in the no-no door. Mommy said that I can't have the lighter because what happened to the wooden man last time.

(flashback to living room. Shows a man with a wooden aesthetic leg talking to Cathy. Norm has a lighter.)

Cathy (flash back)- Yea, it'll be 70 bucks after we're through. Any requests during will cost extra.

(Norm crawls up to "wooden man" and lights his leg on fire)

Norm - (present) Wanna pet my chipmunk? (holds up a rat) I found him in my sheets this morning. Mommy says he's a gift from god.

Victor - Your mom says a lot huh kid?

Norm - Yea, especially when she drinks a guy named Mr. Daniels, he lives in a bottle.

Norm - I want my cake. I'm hungry and it's my birthday. (Sets his rat on table) Cake Cake Cake Cake!

Victor - Okay, kid. Calm down. Where is the no no door so I can get a lighter? (Victor and Norm exit

dining room into kitchen. Rat knocks a nearby bottle of Mr. Daniels liquor onto cake.)

(cuts to kitchen with Norm and Victor)

Norm - (pointing) It's way up there. Mommy says there's a magical lock on it so I can't get into it while she was working or upstairs watching horror movies.

Victor - Horror movies?

Norm - yeah, she usually has a man over and they go upstairs. See she doesn't tell me that they watch horror movies but I know, because I can hear them scream.

Victor - Hmph...

(removes magic lock (twisty tie) from the cupboard door handles) (Inside cupboard is a wad of money, some nose hair clippers, and a Mr. Happy Face lighter)

Victor - Here we god.

(Takes lighter into dining room... removes bottle from the cake. Norm sits in chair in front of cake. Victor lights candles on cake)

(Cell phone rings)

(Victor turns away from cake and Norm, who has a big smile on his face)

Fetti Cinni - Vick? Fetti. Hey man, I need your help. I got my hand stuck in my ass again.

(meanwhile candle falls into cake and sets it ablaze. Norm goes cross-eyed and passes out into the fire)

Victor - Oh c'mon man I'm busy... How'd you do it this time.

Fetti - I dunno man! I woke up, and it was in there and in there good. I mean like, I'm playing tug-o-war with my colon right now.

Victor - Okay, I'll be taking this kid to the batting cages around nine. Meet me there.

Fetti - But I don't know where the - (Victor hangs up phone) (Victor turns and faces Norm, who is on fire)

Victor - Damn!

(Hobo looks in window)

Hobo - AHHHH! (Hobo's right eye droops, hobo falls over)

(victor picks Norm's head up out of flaming cake, slams head against table to extinguish the flames)

(After flames are put out, Victor searches for Cathy's cell phone number. Finds it underneath rat, rat droppings are scattered about)

(Dials number)

Random male voice over phone - Oh, you like dat?

Cathy - (in bored voice) - Oh yea.. that's great...

(inaudible male voice being heard throughout call)

Victor - Uh, Cathy? You busy?

Cathy - oh, no. He's keeping himself entertained pretty well.

Victor - Hey, uh, Norm.. passed out on the.. uh.. couch, Um, what do I need to do to wake him up?

Cathy - Have you tried slapping him a bit?

(flashback to Victor banging Norm's head off table to put out flames)

Victor - Uh, yeah I'm pretty sure that's not gonna do it.

Cathy - Just ring the bell on the table twice then.

(Voice turns away from phone)

Cathy - You wanna play rough?!

Random male - Oh god! No! Nooooo!

(Victor hangs up)

(walk over to table and rings bell twice)

(Sparkles walks over to Norm and licks face)

Norm - AHHHHHHH!

(grab's dog's leg and rips it off"

(Hobo in window)

Hobo - Ahhhhh! (Left eye looks up while right is still looking down)(Falls over again)

(Dog is expressionless and tips over)

(Hobo running around with a cape and boxers on)

Scene 5

(Batting Cages)

(Norm has bandages on his head)

Norm - I'm bored, bored, bored, bored, borrreeeddd!

Victor - Go cut some paper or something. I'll be back.

(Victor goes to the paying booth, Hobo is in it)

Response to MWC19 - May - Original NG Character 2019-05-01 14:47:12

Untitled Part 2

Victor - Her can I get some uh, tok-uh, what are you doing?

Hobo - Dinner Dinner Dinner good chicken

(hobo is cooking a boot over a fire on the counter, flips the boot.. )(Token laying next to a gas can)

(victor takes)

(Victor returns to Norm whos hand is impaled by scissors. Threes no paper anywhere)

Scene 6

(Inside Batting cages)

(Norms hand is bandaged with scissors still inside it)

Victor - Lets see if I still got it from high school load up that mutha.

(Norms loads pitching machine, hand with scissors get caught in launch tube)

Norm - Ahhhh!!!

(Hand gets pitched, Victor hits it with bat. Hand hits Norm in face)

(Breaks glasses), (Norm falls asleep)

Victor - Yeah! Home Run!

(Cuts to Hobo eating boot, drinking a canister of gasoline)

Hobo - Dancing Pineapples!

(Shows booth exploding)

(Cuts back to batting cages. Fetti is there he is wearing a cheese hat)

Fetti - You ready to take care of my problem?

(Norm is still sleeping)

(Victor and Fetti go to the car, Vic ties Fetti's submerged hand to cars muffler)

(Victor starts up car and pulls hand out of ass)

(Fetti is grasping the remote)

Fetti - Hmm.. I guess it would have been easier if I would have let go

Victor - Yeaaa...

(Victor heads back to get Norm, Norm is gone, hand is still laying there)

(Victor looks around and spots Norm in the distance)

(Norm is scared by a shadow and runs towards hobo thinking it's his mom)

Norm - Mommy!

Hobo - Grandpa!

Victor - Nooooooooooooo!

Fetti - What?

Victor - ..Nothing

Response to MWC19 - May - Original NG Character 2019-05-08 11:00:35

At 5/1/19 02:33 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: ++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to May 2019's Monthly Writing Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - MWC19 - Original NG Character - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm slightly behind, but let's keep these going! I've taken in a foster child and my schedule has been hectic. Let's make it even more hectic by creating a new and exciting writing prompt that perhaps could be turned into an animation at the end result!

I want you to create a completely original character and write a script out for a pilot episode. (I'll post an example of an older submission of my own down below so you can have a general idea of the style that I'm talking about.)

The idea is to create an original character and for us to take the winners month by month through a process to have it developed into an animation posted on Newgrounds.

The first step will be you're submission, then we can go to the art forum and get some concept art/character design. After that, off to the audio forum to get some theme music. The next step will be to the voice acting forum to find the voice of our winning characters. Finally, we will take the last month and run an animation competition for the winners.

Each part of the step will be it's own competition and the winners will be included in the judging process for the rest of the interaction with this so they always have a say in what the final product sounds and looks like.

(Instead of a word count min/max, try and keep the writing in a manageable first episode timeline. Nothing too long that would make it too hard to get animated)

June 10th 2019: Midnight EST (A little extra time because this one should be for fun!)

1st Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated
2nd Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated
3rd Place: Supporter Status/Moves on to next steps of getting animated

(I will look for some more judges. Hopefully ones that can help with the entirety of this process)

Here's a pilot I wrote a year ago. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lcAi8x7yDUn5Qn6E8tDG655iWkos0oSS/view?usp=sharing

Response to MWC19 - May - Original NG Character 2019-05-12 11:54:00

Characters:

Billy: Regular built male character

Janis: Beautiful young, female character

Bird: Small bird like a cockatiel

Fades in:

Billy is standing outside house, knocking on door.

Billy, yelling and knocking on door,

"Come on Janis we're going to be late"

Janis sticks her head out of door, yelling back,

"Hold on I have one more thing to do..."

Billy roles his eyes,

"FINE! Ill wait!"

Meanwhile the bird flies up and lands next to Billy.

The camera goes back and forth showing Billy and the bird just staring at each other.

A few seconds pass with just Billy and the bird just staring.

Bird,

"SQUAK!"

Billy jumps back a little and raises an eyebrow.

Bird,

"SQUAK, *whistle*, SQUAK!"

The bird then hops over to Billy's leg and pecks his ankle.

Billy,

"OW! You little piece of crap!"

Billy then proceeds to kick the bird.

The bird flies back and begins to stare at Billy.

Bird,

"SQUAK!"

Billy starts to knock on door again and yell to Janis,

Billy,

"Janis come on... its starting to become a bad Hitchcock film out here."

Janis, from inside,

"Just one damn minute!"

During this time the bird returns to Billy's leg and continues to peck...

Billy,

"Ok! That's it!"

Billy reaches down, grabs the bird, and breaks its neck.

Janis comes outside the door.

Billy is startled so he shoves the bird into his coat pocket.

Billy to Janis,

"What took so long?"

Janis,

"I was trying to find Betty."

Billy,

"Who?"

Janis,

"Betty! She is my super special friend… I guess you’ll have to meet her later… Let’s get going to dinner…”

Billy looks confused and “side eyes” Janis as she walks by him to the car.

Fade out and Fade in to fancy restaurant where the happy couple is eating dinner.

Janis is talking a lot and Billy looks slightly bored / uninterested.

Janis,

“Dinner was so good! I can’t wait to get home so you can Betty… She is my super special friend!”

Billy,

“Yeah… you mentioned that… I’m going to hit the restroom before we get out of here."

Bathroom scene:

Billy is finishing up and washing his hands at the sink. Suddenly, Billy hears a strange rustling noise. Thinking the noise is his phone he reaches his hand into his pocket and is immediately bitten hard by the bird. Billy curses and the bird flees from Billy’s pocket. Random slap stick comedy fun times happen in the restroom between Billy and bird. After a few moments of shenanigans, the bird suddenly disappears and Billy looks around confused and scared. Billy runs out of the bathroom beaten and bruised.

Fade out and fade in to outside of Janis’ home.

Janis

“What a lovely night”

Billy

“Yeah… it was interesting”

Janis

“Well….why don’t you come in side?” (In a seductive voice) “So you can meet Betty.”

Billy

“Oooooh… so it was a euphemism…” Billy starts too slowly and half heartedly laugh to himself as he walks into Janis’s home.

The laughing stops abruptly when Billy notices the all the pictures of the same bird on the wall. The bird is Betty and it is the same bird he has been fighting with.

Make this a big reveal like a Shyamalan twist or something.

As the room/Betty shrine swirls around Billy he starts to get in a cold sweat. At that moment the broken necked, dead body of Betty falls out of his pocket. Billy and Janis awkwardly stare at each other.

End

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - May - Original NG Character 2019-05-19 04:45:39

The Fifth commandment

Characters:

Charles Davenport (Human boy in purgatory)

Smith (Angel)

Devil (Demon that confronted Charles on scene 1)

Demon Soldier (a demon in a swarm of devils from scene 4)

Scene 1:

(Level one of purgatory, kind of like the foot of a mountain)

Charles: (wakes up from his unconscious state in the ground) “Where am I?”

(Camera pans to surrounding area)

Charles: “What is this place?” (Puts his hand on pocket) “No phone? Jeez, I must've been pretty drunk last night.”

(The distant flapping of wings was heard. Charles decided to walk a trail leading to the mountains)

Charles: “So what kind of party would I be in that would result to me getting stranded in the middle of nowhere?”

(Camera focuses on the red eyes staring from the bushes. Charles glances at the bush, but the eyes were gone).

Charles: (Walking towards the bush) Hello? (rummages through bush, finding nothing) Stalker.

(Charles walks back just when a devil crosses his path)

Devil: Are you Charles Davenport?

Charles: (Puts hand over head) Woah. I wasn't drunk. I was high... I AM high!

Devil: Answer my question!

Charles: Sorry, man. Can't talk. The marijuana is still in effect.

(Flames burst at the hands of the devil. Puts his hands near Charles's face. Charles started sweating)

Charles: Ah, shit. You're an actual devil, aren't you?

Devil: As real as your fucking head when I dunk it through the nine rings of hell. (flames extinguish from his hands) That is, if you really are Charles Davenport.

Charles: Huh? But you're the devil, right?

Devil: Granted, yes. But we ain't sending some goody two shoes to the nether realm. We are more like cops, to be honest.

Charles: Except all of you are bad cops?

Devil: Yeah, that's the way it is (flames scorch in his hands) Now tell me if you're Charles davenport or not!

Charles: (Taking time to think) …no.

Devil: Oh really? (Extinguishes flames from his hands) “Well, ain't that swell! Good luck on your journey through purgatory!

Charles: Purgatory....?

(Angel appears with sword ready)

Smith: Stop hurting that soul, you demon!

Devil: (Looks at the angel) Archangel Smith!? Well, don't worry. I was about to let go of him, anyways.

Smith: (Puts sword back on his belt) Oh, really? Well, my work here is done. Come, Charles. I will escort you to your first trial.

Devil: Wait. Charles? Do you mean Charles Davenport? (Glances back at Charles) You-you lied to me! Mr. Davenport, you're coming with...

(Smith stabs the demon at the heart. Demon disappears after a puff of smoke).

Smith: (Looks at Charles) Do you have any questions on what you should do?

Charles: (Looking at the remaining traces of smoke) Yeah... I have many.

Scene 2:

(The trail)

(Charles and Smith are walking)

Smith: If you didn't know, you died on earth. When you died, you have sins that were left unresolved. All you had to do was go to confession, but I guess you were lazy.

Charles: ...or an atheist. Ever thought of that?

Smith: (Looks angrily at Charles) However, Father must've thought that you were not a lost cause. So what he did was put you in purgatory, where your soul gets purified of all the things you did wrong during your life.

Charles: ...And in order to do that, I need to roll a boulder into a certain location that would open up a door?

Smith: That's just the first of your trials. You need to conquer four more trials after that. (Pulling up four fingers on his right hand as he says the previous sentence) The following three is the first thing that comes into your mind when you think of temporary punishment. The last, however, is said to be one that's unlike the others.

Charles: (looks angrily at him) I don't like vague details. Please explain what this last trial is.

Smith: I actually don't know. Only souls are allowed to enter that trial. Angels are only here to guide the humans into heaven.

Charles: (Looks around) So where are the souls? (He opens his arms and does a twist) This seems to be a deserted place.

Smith: (Puts up his index finger) Well, the lowest level is reserved for those that committed sins graver than the others. People who start at the top commit mistakes rather than sins, and you get now the souls that start at the very bottom. So. (He stops walking) What did you do, Charles?

Charles: (Glances at Smith) Me? Well, I don't know.

Smith: Did you kill someone?

Charles: (chuckles) What? No, of course not! (pauses, then looks down) Of course not... (a long pause, then glances back up, caught sight of a devil wing for just a second)

Smith: (pulls up his sword) These devils, though. Thinking that they are the ones that understands moral judgement... (Looks at Charles) Don't worry. Once we've crossed the door to the next trial, the devils will not be able to reach us.

(They walk over to a boulder)

Smith: So what are you waiting for? Get rolling!

(Montage then plays of Charles rolling the boulder over a steep incline)

Scene 3:

(Steep trail)

Charles: (Struggling to make the boulder move) Are you going to help me?

Smith: Nope. This is your trial, not mine.

Charles: Damn it (muttering under his breath)

(Montage continues)

Scene 4:

(Entrance on the peak of the mountain)

Charles: (Looking over the boulder and noticing a stone plate right at the side of a large grey door with inscriptions on its side) So is this the place?

Smith: Yes, it is.

Charles: Oh, thank God.

(The distant flapping of wings were heard. Smith notices, and took his sword)

Smith: The devils are here.

Charles: (Makes a face that expresses fear) Okay. (Goes back to pushing boulder in desperation)

Smith: (Walking around and looking)

(Devil soldier charges over to Charles)

Smith: (Kicks the devil away) Get away from him! (Looks back at Charles) Charles, hurry up!

Charles: I'm going! I'm going!

(Smith looks up. Camera then pans to a swarm of devils coming towards their location).

(Smith flies towards them and starts swinging his sword at the demons)

Devil soldier: Don't mind him! Go after Davenport!

(Demons passes through Smith)

Smith: Charles!

Charles: (Pushes boulder onto the plate). Finished!

(The doors opened. Charles makes a sprint over to the door. Smith follows behind.)

Smith: Charles! The lever!

Charles: (Notices a lever at the other side of the door. He cranks it).

(the door slowly closes. Before it fully closes, a demon's hand reaches through the tiny space in between the two doors.

Devil Soldier: You are not going anywhere, Charles! We know... we ALL know... that you deserve to be casted into hell! (The door cuts the demon's hand away from its arm) God will never accept you!

Charles: (Looking at the hand on the floor with a terrified look on his face)

Smith: (Standing at the foot of a long staircase) Charles...

Charles: (Glances back at Smith) Yes?

Smith: (Points a finger over to the staircase) Let's go.

(Camera pans over to a light at the top of a very long staircase.

(Credits roll)

Scene 5:

(Staircase)

(Charles and Smith walking together)

Smith: Hey, Charles.

Charles: Yes?

Smith: You never told me what you did wrong.

Charles: (chuckles) Yeah. To be honest, I do not really know.

Smith: So... you didn't kill anyone?

Charles: (watching his step) What's with you and assuming that I was a murderer?

(Long pause)

Charles: But to answer your question, yes. I did technically kill someone. (Making air quotes with his hands as he says technically).

Smith: (looks up at Charles) Oh, you did? Who did you kill?

(pause)

Charles: (Makes a stern face). Myself.

End.