00:00
00:00

MWC19 - January - Discussion

369 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-21 10:56:37


Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the January Writing Competition in this thread.


DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-21 12:05:34


Aye! Let's get this... started :D

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-21 12:32:01


So good to see this is actually happening! I have some work to do...


"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-21 12:40:25


I'm also hoping to write something that I will post in the thread, but I won't be eligible for any prizes. Due to the fact that I created the prompt and knew it well ahead of time it would be extremely unfair.


It's just been several years since I've wrote and I'd like to get started again.


BBS Signature

HELL YEAH IM IN


LITERALLY ALL THE FORUM THREADS I'VE MADE!!!(last updated December 10th 2017)

Have you ever fallen asleep watching a documentary about insomnia?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-22 04:46:19


I'll give this a whirl!

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-22 10:54:32


Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-22 13:27:26


At 12/22/18 10:54 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?


You can submit your story when you're ready. Just make sure you are really ready because once it's submitted no edits will be allowed.


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-22 15:31:01


At 12/22/18 01:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 12/22/18 10:54 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?
You can submit your story when you're ready. Just make sure you are really ready because once it's submitted no edits will be allowed.


Yep! Thanks for the speedy reply.


Does it have to be about New Years? Or could it be about something new, like brand new.


You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-22 21:44:58


At 12/22/18 09:28 PM, Zophar wrote: Does it have to be about New Years? Or could it be about something new, like brand new.


As long as it follows the theme of new beginnings. It doesn't need to have anything to do with new years.


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-23 01:35:23


As a cancer Survivor who was diagnosed only a couple months before the character in your story was diagnosed, I absolutely loved reading your story, @ChronoNomad I’m writing something myself that seems to be almost overdosed on tragedy as well, but when it comes to the end game, and I know it’s early to tell, but I think you’ll easily take the cake home for first.


LITERALLY ALL THE FORUM THREADS I'VE MADE!!!(last updated December 10th 2017)

Have you ever fallen asleep watching a documentary about insomnia?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-23 09:36:33


At 12/23/18 01:35 AM, HomeOfTheBray wrote: As a cancer Survivor who was diagnosed only a couple months before the character in your story was diagnosed, I absolutely loved reading your story, @ChronoNomad I’m writing something myself that seems to be almost overdosed on tragedy as well, but when it comes to the end game, and I know it’s early to tell, but I think you’ll easily take the cake home for first.


Wow, thanks a lot for your kind words, and congratulations on beating the crap out of cancer! My stepfather is actually a cancer survivor, as well. Esophageal cancer has a pretty low survival rate, so my mom and I are pretty lucky to still have him around.


The Winter Journals riffs a little off my own life experiences, but it's generally a work of (hopefully) very relatable fiction. Without the rough stuff, there can't really be any kind of new beginning, so I'm guessing that there will be quite a few tragic tales woven throughout the contest.


Best of luck with your entry, which I look forward to reading!

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-23 17:01:24


Prize update:


Thanks to @Zhon, one of the winners will be picked at random to have a segment of their writing turned into an animation.


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-27 11:04:12


At 12/21/18 10:56 AM, Fro wrote: Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the January Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD


--- I have written a first draft. Now it will get the long drawn-out process of editing. I enjoyed doing some astronomy research on Wikipedia and Space.com...


... Watch me get carried away and forget the deadline !


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-27 11:06:26


At 12/22/18 03:31 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/22/18 01:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 12/22/18 10:54 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?
You can submit your story when you're ready. Just make sure you are really ready because once it's submitted no edits will be allowed.
Yep! Thanks for the speedy reply.


Congratulations on your story, Chrono- you have given us a challenge to try and beat- an emotional story that deserves telling.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-27 14:38:37


At 12/27/18 11:06 AM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 12/22/18 03:31 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/22/18 01:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 12/22/18 10:54 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?
You can submit your story when you're ready. Just make sure you are really ready because once it's submitted no edits will be allowed.
Yep! Thanks for the speedy reply.
Congratulations on your story, Chrono- you have given us a challenge to try and beat- an emotional story that deserves telling.


Aw, thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinds of different ideas are inspired by the theme.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-27 19:03:46


At 12/27/18 02:38 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/27/18 11:06 AM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 12/22/18 03:31 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/22/18 01:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 12/22/18 10:54 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: Do we have to wait until January to enter, or can we submit our stories in December if they're complete?
You can submit your story when you're ready. Just make sure you are really ready because once it's submitted no edits will be allowed.
Yep! Thanks for the speedy reply.
Congratulations on your story, Chrono- you have given us a challenge to try and beat- an emotional story that deserves telling.
Aw, thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinds of different ideas are inspired by the theme.


I am, of course, setting out to win myself, but I don't know if I can match the emotion in yours.


We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

At 12/27/18 07:03 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I am, of course, setting out to win myself, but I don't know if I can match the emotion in yours.

Of course! I would expect nothing less.


@HomeOfTheBray, I just finished reading your story. Very nicely written! Definitely a more tragic sort of new beginning, but hey—no one ever said that every story needed to have a happy ending. That wouldn't be very realistic, anyway. Good stuff, man.


Fun factoid: I used to live in Maine.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-31 02:15:31


At 12/29/18 01:50 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/27/18 07:03 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I am, of course, setting out to win myself, but I don't know if I can match the emotion in yours.
Of course! I would expect nothing less.

@HomeOfTheBray, I just finished reading your story. Very nicely written! Definitely a more tragic sort of new beginning, but hey—no one ever said that every story needed to have a happy ending. That wouldn't be very realistic, anyway. Good stuff, man.

Fun factoid: I used to live in Maine.


Thank you for reading. Did you live around the Portland area, out of curiosity? (And no, I’m not about to “shock” with some random bullshit on how one of my family members lives there)


LITERALLY ALL THE FORUM THREADS I'VE MADE!!!(last updated December 10th 2017)

Have you ever fallen asleep watching a documentary about insomnia?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-31 06:08:26


At 12/31/18 02:15 AM, HomeOfTheBray wrote:
At 12/29/18 01:50 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 12/27/18 07:03 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I am, of course, setting out to win myself, but I don't know if I can match the emotion in yours.
Of course! I would expect nothing less.

@HomeOfTheBray, I just finished reading your story. Very nicely written! Definitely a more tragic sort of new beginning, but hey—no one ever said that every story needed to have a happy ending. That wouldn't be very realistic, anyway. Good stuff, man.

Fun factoid: I used to live in Maine.
Thank you for reading. Did you live around the Portland area, out of curiosity? (And no, I’m not about to “shock” with some random bullshit on how one of my family members lives there)


I lived in both Portland and South Portland, with a side of Cape Elizabeth. Was up in Maine for almost 10 years, all told.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2018-12-31 18:31:39


Really hope it's clear how my story relates to the theme. D: Wrote it for a contest through a tumblr site a few years ago. Based it a little on some personal experience.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-01 14:37:53


At 12/31/18 06:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: Really hope it's clear how my story relates to the theme. D: Wrote it for a contest through a tumblr site a few years ago. Based it a little on some personal experience.


Yeah, I'd say you're good to go. A rather intriguing premise.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-02 10:35:47


At 12/31/18 06:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: Really hope it's clear how my story relates to the theme. D: Wrote it for a contest through a tumblr site a few years ago. Based it a little on some personal experience.


"Please write original works. Don't pull up something you wrote years ago that may fit this theme, the point is to write something new and to challenge yourself."


I'll let it go since it's the first competition, but in the future please write something new. In the future competitions it'll be disqualified. The main reason, other than what's stated in the quoted text above, is that work that's been posted on the internet before comes up when I do a plagiarizing check. If they pop up on that they won't count.


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-02 11:45:18


At 1/2/19 10:35 AM, Fro wrote:
At 12/31/18 06:31 PM, Abbyka wrote: Really hope it's clear how my story relates to the theme. D: Wrote it for a contest through a tumblr site a few years ago. Based it a little on some personal experience.
"Please write original works. Don't pull up something you wrote years ago that may fit this theme, the point is to write something new and to challenge yourself."

I'll let it go since it's the first competition, but in the future please write something new. In the future competitions it'll be disqualified. The main reason, other than what's stated in the quoted text above, is that work that's been posted on the internet before comes up when I do a plagiarizing check. If they pop up on that they won't count.


Sorry I got so excited to participate that I skimmed the rules. D: I'll remember this in the future.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-03 12:00:42


@Abbyka Dude, you should be writing novels.


LITERALLY ALL THE FORUM THREADS I'VE MADE!!!(last updated December 10th 2017)

Have you ever fallen asleep watching a documentary about insomnia?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-03 12:54:33


At 1/3/19 12:00 PM, HomeOfTheBray wrote: @Abbyka Dude, you should be writing novels.


Thank you. :) I tried getting something published a while back but I never got a response back from the publisher. Can't afford to now. I believe it costs money up front or something?

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-09 09:07:28


At 12/21/18 12:40 PM, Fro wrote: I'm also hoping to write something that I will post in the thread, but I won't be eligible for any prizes. Due to the fact that I created the prompt and knew it well ahead of time it would be extremely unfair.

It's just been several years since I've wrote and I'd like to get started again.


I would too, and I'm also fine with being disqualified if need be. (Am I helping judge this one? I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING!!!!)

I just enjoy writing.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-09 09:35:48


At 1/9/19 09:07 AM, SevenSeize wrote:
At 12/21/18 12:40 PM, Fro wrote: I'm also hoping to write something that I will post in the thread, but I won't be eligible for any prizes. Due to the fact that I created the prompt and knew it well ahead of time it would be extremely unfair.

It's just been several years since I've wrote and I'd like to get started again.
I would too, and I'm also fine with being disqualified if need be. (Am I helping judge this one? I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING!!!!)
I just enjoy writing.


I never asked you to judge this time around..


I was just planning on telling you when your results were due. Nothing like catching someone off guard!


BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-01-09 10:08:42


At 1/9/19 09:35 AM, Fro wrote:
At 1/9/19 09:07 AM, SevenSeize wrote:
At 12/21/18 12:40 PM, Fro wrote: I'm also hoping to write something that I will post in the thread, but I won't be eligible for any prizes. Due to the fact that I created the prompt and knew it well ahead of time it would be extremely unfair.

It's just been several years since I've wrote and I'd like to get started again.
I would too, and I'm also fine with being disqualified if need be. (Am I helping judge this one? I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING!!!!)
I just enjoy writing.
I never asked you to judge this time around..

I was just planning on telling you when your results were due. Nothing like catching someone off guard!


Lol!!!!


I have too much going on! I couldn't remember!


I'm always here if you need me. It's nice that you are taking the time to do the MWC.


I can just bake you cookies if that would help.