00:00
00:00

MWC19 - January - Discussion

1,403 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-06 16:26:07

At 2/6/19 04:07 PM, Fro wrote:
At 2/6/19 03:37 PM, Kpeterson88 wrote: Hows the judging going
If everything stays on pace well I will be done in 2 days.

I've ran everything through a plagiarizing check and need to judge about 10 more entries. After that I just need to make sure everything follows word count guidelines. (In hindsight I should have started there. :P)

Sounds cool

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-06 19:09:51

At 2/4/19 10:34 AM, Fro wrote: We had one entry sneak in after the deadline, but I hadn't had the time to get the thread locked up this weekend because of some personal business.

Is everyone ok with this entry being allowed in?

I'm fine, so long as they don't win !

No seriously, its fine this one time, but given that you specified the actual time-zone time etc...

you really won't want people pushing their luck again and again.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

At 2/6/19 04:07 PM, Fro wrote: If everything stays on pace well I will be done in 2 days.

Since that would have been two days ago, I take it the pace has indeed slowed somewhat. May we have an updated ETA?

Incidentally, while I'm honestly of two minds about it, I'd say go ahead and accept that late entry. Just this once. I mean, my goodness, it's not like there wasn't a ton of time allotted for submissions. But yes, there's always at least one or two folks who are perplexed by time zones and whatnot. C'est la vie.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-10 22:46:06

At 2/10/19 02:00 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 2/6/19 04:07 PM, Fro wrote: If everything stays on pace well I will be done in 2 days.
Since that would have been two days ago, I take it the pace has indeed slowed somewhat. May we have an updated ETA?

As of this exact moment I'm stuck at 1st place. I have two first place contenders that I'm going to have to pull in a 2nd judge to help me with. I'm about to ask them if they have time to weigh in soon. If not I'll be picking from a hat.

Incidentally, while I'm honestly of two minds about it, I'd say go ahead and accept that late entry. Just this once. I mean, my goodness, it's not like there wasn't a ton of time allotted for submissions. But yes, there's always at least one or two folks who are perplexed by time zones and whatnot. C'est la vie.

This will all be avoided starting with me. I've been overwhelmed recently and if I where to have the thread locked like I had planned it wouldnt have even been up for discussion.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 00:15:23

I have the top three entries. It wasn't easy! (In a good way) I'll make a post tomorrow and update Tom with the winners.

I had to pull in my spouse, a published writer and academic to help narrow the choices down.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 11:03:07

@ChronoNomad @HomeOfTheBray @Abbyka @NyanaCreation @south88 @TopazAzul @IceDragon64 @Alias @Kpeterson88 @LiamRomK @Dranj @TheInnerScience @ZetoSoul

After much debate and discussion I've picked my top three entries. It wasn't easy to do and there were a ton of equally good entries that made the narrowing down process difficult. Not only was I unsure on which one to pick for 1st place, but I had found at least 4 entries to be worthy of 3rd place.

To add to this, I apologize for the wait. I know I promised this a bit ago. Not trying to go into excuses because I didn't do an amazing job managing this competition from the start, but I've had weeks of extreme back, neck, and hip pain coupled with depressive states that combined has made every day life difficult let alone anything extra like judging a writing competition. Nonetheless, where we are with results that I'm confident in.

As mentioned in an earlier post I had to bring my spouse in to help me narrow down the entries. She's a published academic writer and has read 1,000's of more books than I can ever imagine reading. Here we go.. no specific review or great detail unless you ask me personally. Just remember I probably haven't taken extremely in depth notes. I can give you very basic recommendations as I just don't have time to properly review every submission. And please be patient if you ask for what I thought about your submission. A lot of times they all come in at once and it can be quite the task to get to them all in a timely manner.

1st place (winner of a month's supporter status): TheInnerScience - A post apocalyptic world of ashes, ruins, and death. I'll say no more, you'll have to read it yourself.

2nd place: Dranj - The Gatecrasher - Reminded me of the Great Gatsby setting, but with a much darker background and story. It was almost an equal to 1st place.

3rd place: LiamRomK - A really cool setting involving a fascist government, hidden truths of history, and time travel.

While I'm on the list of winners there was an extra prize given by @Zhon. He has offered to have a random winner get a scene from the writing animated. As I type this I'm crumbling up three post it notes with the winners and picking them random from a hat.

The winner of having a section of their piece animated is @LiamRomK. Congrats!

----------

If you didn't take a place don't be upset. There were a ton of great stories and entries. The amount of space between what I would consider 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc... were so minimal that I had a very difficult time choosing which one should have been 3rd. Everyone made it difficult and let's all celebrate by reading the stories if you already haven't.

You'll discover a universe of alchemy, one of the struggles of a society on a different planet, spirits and the supernatural. You'll be put through the emotional roller coaster of death and the aftermath that it creates for the ones who keep on living. Give everyone a read, comment on something if you'd like, and support your fellow writers.

---------

Is there anybody who would like to take February off from writing and help judge?

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 13:07:52

Tom decided that we should give all three places the supporter status. Congrats again everyone.

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 14:21:18

Awesome! Thanks very much. Congratz also to @Dranj and @TheInnerScience. Excited to see Zhon's animation.

When do we get supporter status?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 14:28:04

At 2/11/19 02:21 PM, LiamRomK wrote: Awesome! Thanks very much. Congratz also to @Dranj and @TheInnerScience. Excited to see Zhon's animation.

You already do! Check by your name. Also, if you search through the forums you'll now have access to the supporter forum as well.

iu_7040_808532.jpg

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 14:29:10

You already do! Check by your name. Also, if you search through the forums you'll now have access to the supporter forum as well.

Oh woops! Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-11 20:07:44

At 2/11/19 11:03 AM, Fro wrote: @ChronoNomad @HomeOfTheBray @Abbyka @NyanaCreation @south88 @TopazAzul @IceDragon64 @Alias @Kpeterson88 @LiamRomK @Dranj @TheInnerScience @ZetoSoul

After much debate and discussion I've picked my top three entries. It wasn't easy to do and there were a ton of equally good entries that made the narrowing down process difficult. Not only was I unsure on which one to pick for 1st place, but I had found at least 4 entries to be worthy of 3rd place.

To add to this, I apologize for the wait. I know I promised this a bit ago. Not trying to go into excuses because I didn't do an amazing job managing this competition from the start, but I've had weeks of extreme back, neck, and hip pain coupled with depressive states that combined has made every day life difficult let alone anything extra like judging a writing competition. Nonetheless, where we are with results that I'm confident in.

As mentioned in an earlier post I had to bring my spouse in to help me narrow down the entries. She's a published academic writer and has read 1,000's of more books than I can ever imagine reading. Here we go.. no specific review or great detail unless you ask me personally. Just remember I probably haven't taken extremely in depth notes. I can give you very basic recommendations as I just don't have time to properly review every submission. And please be patient if you ask for what I thought about your submission. A lot of times they all come in at once and it can be quite the task to get to them all in a timely manner.

1st place (winner of a month's supporter status): TheInnerScience - A post apocalyptic world of ashes, ruins, and death. I'll say no more, you'll have to read it yourself.

2nd place: Dranj - The Gatecrasher - Reminded me of the Great Gatsby setting, but with a much darker background and story. It was almost an equal to 1st place.

3rd place: LiamRomK - A really cool setting involving a fascist government, hidden truths of history, and time travel.

While I'm on the list of winners there was an extra prize given by @Zhon. He has offered to have a random winner get a scene from the writing animated. As I type this I'm crumbling up three post it notes with the winners and picking them random from a hat.

The winner of having a section of their piece animated is @LiamRomK. Congrats!

----------

If you didn't take a place don't be upset. There were a ton of great stories and entries. The amount of space between what I would consider 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc... were so minimal that I had a very difficult time choosing which one should have been 3rd. Everyone made it difficult and let's all celebrate by reading the stories if you already haven't.

You'll discover a universe of alchemy, one of the struggles of a society on a different planet, spirits and the supernatural. You'll be put through the emotional roller coaster of death and the aftermath that it creates for the ones who keep on living. Give everyone a read, comment on something if you'd like, and support your fellow writers.

---------

Is there anybody who would like to take February off from writing and help judge?

Congratulations to the winners.

No, I'm not taking February off because I'm getting right back in there with an entry. I just have to read it through without making any changes- it could be a while yet!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - January - Discussion 2019-02-13 00:04:39

At 2/11/19 02:21 PM, LiamRomK wrote: Awesome! Thanks very much. Congratz also to @Dranj and @TheInnerScience. Excited to see Zhon's animation.

Well this worked out better than I could have hoped. Your piece should fit right in to what I have planned. I'll pm you some info tomorrow.

Congrats to all the winners and yay Tom for being rad as always!