00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread

5,420 Views | 100 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:53:32

Ah! You’ve fallen through the vortex and into the Newgrounds Underdogs’ Audio Contest 2018 Final Round thread! :D If this is your first time witnessing the awesome power of the NGUAC, you can find out more about the contest here.

Finals? What else did I miss?

The first two rounds, of course! Anyway, exactly 21 people were accepted into this final round from the infamously harsh Knock-out Round, during which about 80% of the competitors get...well...knocked out!

And speaking of knocking out, it’s time to demolish the listless barriers separating the 4 groups and turn this competition into the ruthless deathmatch that it was always destined to become. Everyone is against everyone else as we decide who makes the top 3 in the next 2 weeks. >:D

And how will you decide that?

The remaining competitors have until Sunday, August 26th at 11:59 pm EDT to submit a completely original track (i.e., made from scratch for the competition) to this thread. That means you couldn’t have started working on your track until right now, as per the rules. Otherwise, all of the rules that applied to last round regarding samples, timing, and originality also apply for this round.

I hear @LunacyEcho drinks wine coolers. Is that true?

Yes, it is, but LE and the other judges (@ADR3-N, @Bosa, @EndKashika, @Frootza, @Jacob, @Kwing, @Midimachine, @Random-Storykeeper, @SleepFacingWest, @Spadezer, and myself) still deserve your utmost respect and patience in the process of providing feedback on your submissions. If you have questions or concerns about the way a judge scored your piece, you can request a review or send a PM, but please do so in a polite, friendly, and non-accusatory manner.

Are you running out of ideas for these sub-headers?

Yes, I am, but I also want to give a HUGE shout-out to @Decky for volunteering his time to make forum signatures for the winners of the contest, and to @ADR3-N for making sure that the winners get front-paged.

Thanks also to @LunacyEcho for being my co-administrator for the competition. He’s helped with a lot of decision-making stuff, saved me some strife, and also taken my jokes about his tastes in alcoholic beverages quite well.

Specific scores will be released momentarily. If you made it, congratulations and good luck in the Finals! If not, getting this far is still a big accomplish, and we sure hope to see you back next year. ^_^

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:53:50

UNDERDOGS
@Dude2312
@Equinaga
@Eviladrianin
@Lukiaffe
@YeahYay

Top-scorer in this group: @Lukiaffe

PROFESSIONAL AMATEURS
@AzulJazz
@ColinMuir
@Denza91
@Icantpronouncethis
@Nikolopoblete
@Xiluminix
Top-scorer in this group: @Icantpronouncethis

ABOVE AVERAGE JOES
@ItzCorkscrew + @Mutty99
@Kurtiskong
@LucasMasoch
@Miston
@Tennon

Top-scorer in this group: @Tennon

ALL-STARS
@350teric
@AleXizGD
@BlueOceans
@Etherealwinds
@Ggaero

Top-scorer in this group: @AleXizGD

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:55:14

UNDERDOGS - specific scores

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:55:38

PROF AMS

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:56:05

AAJs

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:56:36

ALL-STARS

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:57:27

Kinda expected to not make it through lol

Ah well, GG to the people who made it onwards. I see there's also some good friends of mine who fell with me, so hey, I can understand my dropping.

Welp, see you all next year! (or on Chips Compo, if you're cool enough)

hi, I do things that make sounds and put them on this site, you can check out my stuff if you want.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 22:58:55

Oof. It went worse this time. I guess breaking this record might be impossible. Congrats to the survivors, good luck!

~ Jessie

✨ENFP | 🎵 Epic Music Composer for: ACE/Old Chicago/OddTodd |🎬 Film Student | Status : Study Mode!

Visit My Official Portfolio!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:04:01

aw jeez, from number 1 to middle of the road. I kind of figured, I went a riskier route and it ended backfiring *shrugs*

Dang looks like I fell pretty considerably short on making it through. Best of luck to everyone in the final round!

Edit: looking closer at the scores I'm very interested in hearing @bosa 's thoughts on my submission. I know the judges just finished scoring and are probably dead tired, so no rush of course - if you can at your earliest convenience I'd love to hear your thoughts. Additionally, if the other judges have the time I'd love to hear their thoughts on my submission (if they don't have time/don't want to that is also perfectly fine!) I'm always looking to see how I can improve :)

follow me: soundcloud.com/mastinmusic

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:07:20

welp 5.25 is my first loss of this day (which barely started)
Good luck to all the remaining competitors! See you... in... limbo

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:11:17

Don't be so discouraged, everyone! The K.O. Round is a really tough cut. Making it that far at all is an accomplishment. With this forward-thinking approach in mind, I'm currently in the process of posting my reviews.

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:15:18

At 8/12/18 10:53 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I hear @LunacyEcho drinks wine coolers. Is that true?

Yes, it is, but LE and the other judges (@ADR3-N, @Bosa, @EndKashika, @Frootza, @Jacob, @Kwing, @Midimachine, @Random-Storykeeper, @SleepFacingWest, @Spadezer, and myself) still deserve your utmost respect and patience in the process of providing feedback on your submissions.

Speaking of feedback, if somehow I have neglected to review your submission -- whether you were in a different category or not, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:20:49

So excited to have made it to the final round :D Looking forward to making something great for this one!

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:25:46

Congrats to everyone who made it through! I didn't make it, as I suspected, but I'm glad to see I at least made a score of 7.35. That's quite an improvement over the 5.83 that barely got me into the contest.

Well, it's back to Chips Compo for me. @SplatterDash, @AlbeGian, and @BlueOceans, I hope to see you all there! I'll be back to NGUAC next year, assuming I do not succumb to 'the endless struggle' of life before then, lol.

And congrats, @BlueOceans, I'm rooting for you to make it to the top 3. Good Luck! ;)

Cinnabons here I come...

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:44:19

At 8/12/18 11:11 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Don't be so discouraged, everyone! The K.O. Round is a really tough cut. Making it that far at all is an accomplishment. With this forward-thinking approach in mind, I'm currently in the process of posting my reviews.

It was a pleasure :) See you next time guys!

We are a marvel...

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-12 23:45:41

At 8/12/18 11:25 PM, FateModified wrote: Congrats to everyone who made it through! I didn't make it, as I suspected, but I'm glad to see I at least made a score of 7.35. That's quite an improvement over the 5.83 that barely got me into the contest.

Well, it's back to Chips Compo for me. @SplatterDash, @AlbeGian, and @BlueOceans, I hope to see you all there! I'll be back to NGUAC next year, assuming I do not succumb to 'the endless struggle' of life before then, lol.

And congrats, @BlueOceans, I'm rooting for you to make it to the top 3. Good Luck! ;)

Cinnabons here I come...

Thanks! I think your music is already quite good, from what I heard :)

Congrats to everyone who made it to the next round!

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 00:18:40

Wow, I finally made the cut. So excited, let's go finalists! :)

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 00:50:40

I'm glad I didn't pass, because I do not have it in me to make another one, plus I just figured out how inconveniently scheduled this competition is for me for the past two years.
My college Fall semester usually starts before the final round begins, and that leaves no time for me to make another by its due date.

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 01:27:05

I am genuinely surprised that I got a top-score in my group. First time I entered was last year and I was out on the first round. Even making it to the second round is an accomplishment for me. Alright gotta give it my best till the end. Good luck everyone. Two weeks to make it a new track... what should I make this time...

Every year I get shafted by one single judge that doesnt enjoy my music, every single year on every single round. So infuriating, specially when it,s a 0.05 score difference after every other judge gave me a +8 score. Bs.

For the record @Frootza I formally request a public feedback post on my track to see why you considered a score of 6.2 appropiate. Specially since I know your production values.

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 02:00:16

I didnt make it,but im still happy cos i got a pretty good score.

Goodluck to the finalists !

BBS Signature

At 8/13/18 01:32 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: For the record @Frootza I formally request a public feedback post on my track to see why you considered a score of 6.2 appropriate. Specially since I know your production values.

(As I have already messaged) Same here. I would like to ask the appropriate review related to the 4.7 score that I have received.

~ Jessie

✨ENFP | 🎵 Epic Music Composer for: ACE/Old Chicago/OddTodd |🎬 Film Student | Status : Study Mode!

Visit My Official Portfolio!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 02:48:38

At 8/12/18 10:56 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: ALL-STARS

Ohh, I was close. I knew that I couldn't beat this round, and even less if I had known that only 20 people can pass to the next round. But I had a lot of fun, because I have never participate in a contest and I was a little nervous. Good luck to the people that have passed! See you all the next time! :D

ⁿº·

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 02:56:41

Well I didn't pass. But I don't mind too much, my schedule will be pretty busy even without the final round :P

Congrats to all who made it!

At 8/13/18 01:32 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: Every year I get shafted by one single judge that doesnt enjoy my music, every single year on every single round. So infuriating, specially when it,s a 0.05 score difference after every other judge gave me a +8 score. Bs.

This is why I appreciated not being able to see other judges scores during judging -- couldn't influence my opinion one way or the other if I had the lowest or highest score in category. Also why I bothered to review every single track I scored, because numbers are so easy to write off as malice.

For the record @Frootza I formally request a public feedback post on my track to see why you considered a score of 6.2 appropiate. Specially since I know your production values.

There were larger discrepancies in the competition. Speak plainly. Are you implying Frootza knocked you out on purpose? If you are, the score board was arranged by average after all the judges were finished, so Frootza couldn't have known his score would contribute to you being knocked out, not with as little as a .05 difference in mean score, and like I mentioned, most of us blacked out our scores until results were final.

I suppose my question is, do you want an actual review? Will you really listen, or are you out to publicly lynch Frootza because you assume someone is out to get you, you felt this way the last few competitions and no one made it better, and you want some kind of vindication? I'm genuinely curious.

If you really want a review, hell, I'll give you one too. I am aware not all the judges went through and left reviews due to time constraint.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 02:58:57

Well onto the finals then :)
Particularly happy about seeing you there @blueoceans!

BBS Signature

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 03:23:24

At 8/13/18 02:58 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 8/13/18 01:32 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: Every year I get shafted by one single judge that doesnt enjoy my music, every single year on every single round. So infuriating, specially when it,s a 0.05 score difference after every other judge gave me a +8 score. Bs.
This is why I appreciated not being able to see other judges scores during judging -- couldn't influence my opinion one way or the other if I had the lowest or highest score in category. Also why I bothered to review every single track I scored, because numbers are so easy to write off as malice.

There were larger discrepancies in the competition. Speak plainly. Are you implying Frootza knocked you out on purpose? If you are, the score board was arranged by average after all the judges were finished, so Frootza couldn't have known his score would contribute to you being knocked out, not with as little as a .05 difference in mean score, and like I mentioned, most of us blacked out our scores until results were final.

I suppose my question is, do you want an actual review? Will you really listen, or are you out to publicly lynch Frootza because you assume someone is out to get you, you felt this way the last few competitions and no one made it better, and you want some kind of vindication? I'm genuinely curious.

If you really want a review, hell, I'll give you one too. I am aware not all the judges went through and left reviews due to time constraint.

Yes,I want an actual reasoning, I know very well my production and composition levels. If you wanted to stirr drama with that answer, then I will be 100% honest. I didnt come here to lose my time, its the same callout I made to Bosa last round, judging should be based on a series of metrics instead of coming out of your ass, personal taste should not influence whatever is being judged. On previous years every judge submitted a review so at least you can see what they thought about a piece. Thats why I am formally requesting a review, because I firmly believe a 6.2 score for what I submitted is extremely punishing and undeserving.

Also, a 0.05 score difference is literally a 0.2 difference between a single vote. Some judges is grading system didnt even have 0 2 jumps!

Response to N G U A C 2018 Final Round Thread 2018-08-13 03:53:02

At 8/13/18 03:23 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: Yes,I want an actual reasoning, I know very well my production and composition levels.

Awesome. It would be bs if you were really implying anyone here was out to screw you when plenty of other people had bigger discrepancies in their scores.

If you wanted to stirr drama

Actually the way you came off initially, I was concerned it may have been your intent.

its the same callout I made to Bosa last round, judging should be based on a series of metrics instead of coming out of your ass, personal taste should not influence whatever is being judged.

On that, we agree.

On previous years every judge submitted a review so at least you can see what they thought about a piece. Thats why I am formally requesting a review

And I hope you get one you find satisfying. If you want a second opinion, I'm also game to add it to my list.

I firmly believe a 6.2 score for what I submitted is extremely punishing and undeserving.

Let's be honest. Competitions are punishing affairs. Asking for a review is your right, probably one of the reasons most of us come to these events, but there's no reason to call the whole shebang bullshit and accuse people of shafting you intentionally or otherwise when the most, if not all of us could not even see each others scores until they were final.

Also, a 0.05 score difference is literally a 0.2 difference between a single vote. Some judges is grading system didnt even have 0 2 jumps!

It's a mean score. Would you have preferred we use the median score?

BBS Signature