00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What animation programs do you use?

10,536 Views | 117 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-14 18:14:10

Macromedia flash for the animation itself, Firealpaca for more detailed shots and certain backgrounds and then I stitch it all together with vegas pro, might add a on purpose shitty greenscreen effect.

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-25 21:25:32

At 4/25/18 06:45 AM, Alone-Saul wrote: Hey i use macromedia flash professional 8 you can get this version for free ! (legally)
i invite you to a discord server where you can get some help too ! https://discord.gg/uf8ncmQ

is this server down or something the link doesnt seem to work and I also need some help getting flash.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-26 13:26:38

I do love me some Animate CC but I am starting to like Clip Studio for painting and drawing more. I might try it out and see if its works

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-30 15:38:44

yea ... add me Hasum#5866

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-01 15:31:39

Well i dont use excacly a animation program i use MediBang paint and movie maker

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-03 08:04:25

I use a combination of Autodesk Sketchbook. While it is a bit limited as an animation software because it limits you to two layers the actual process of drawing feels really great on this software and I like the line quality I get with it. I also use Penil2d if I need to do some rough animations that require multiple layers and animating to audio/ lip sync. The third software I use is OpenToonz. Mostly to put things together. All three software are completely free so thats a huge bonus as far as Im concerned.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-03 20:00:28

At 4/21/18 08:47 PM, SketchyAnt wrote:
I remember when I was using this site years ago most videos were made with Flash. It also made me curious; do people post videos on here that have been used by other programs like Toon Boom or TVPaint or any other animation program?

I work with Tvpaint to make the rough, sometimes i export it as png and clean it up in Paintool sai, or just add details, and then re arrange the thing again in tvpaint. The only Issue I have is tvpaint work with bitmaps, Does anyone know an animation program that isn't flash that works with vectors?

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-03 22:26:51

At 6/3/18 08:00 PM, nitelini wrote:
At 4/21/18 08:47 PM, SketchyAnt wrote:
I remember when I was using this site years ago most videos were made with Flash. It also made me curious; do people post videos on here that have been used by other programs like Toon Boom or TVPaint or any other animation program?
I work with Tvpaint to make the rough, sometimes i export it as png and clean it up in Paintool sai, or just add details, and then re arrange the thing again in tvpaint. The only Issue I have is tvpaint work with bitmaps, Does anyone know an animation program that isn't flash that works with vectors?

Toon Boom is a vector animation software but it is pricey. If cost isn't a big issue I would go for that, it's great.
I used to use TVPaint as well, but it just wasn't really my style for an animation program.

Shamelessly promoting our new upcoming work because why not?

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-04 02:35:35

At 6/3/18 08:00 PM, nitelini wrote: I work with Tvpaint to make the rough, sometimes i export it as png and clean it up in Paintool sai, or just add details, and then re arrange the thing again in tvpaint. The only Issue I have is tvpaint work with bitmaps, Does anyone know an animation program that isn't flash that works with vectors?

OpenToonz works with a vector workflow, and arguably does a much better job than Flash/AnimateCC.

Get the latest releases here: https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz_nightlies/releases
And OT has an excellent bitmap to vector tracer built-in (for black and white line art).

ClipStudio EX also works with vectors for animation. CS has some of the best drawing "feel" in the business. I don't even notice I am drawing vectors in CS - it feels completely natural.

It outputs directly to OpenToonz nowadays too. The strokes can then be converted to perfect vector artwork in OpenToonz and coloured. And thickness of vector strokes in both OT and CS is a parameter, thus can be completely controlled with one or two tools. The two make for an excellent combo for any indie animator.

This workflow is also used for feature animation work in a number of big Japanese animation studios.

Compared to Toonboom it is WAY more affordable, and more powerful in key areas as well. I always found drawing in Toonboom to be okayish, but certainly not ideal. I prefer Clipstudio all day long compared. Combine it with OT, and you'll fly.

PS avoid Toonboom Essentials. Waste of money: too limited.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-06-04 02:43:22

I almost forgot: Moho (pro) is a pure vector animation tool as well, but focuses primarily on cut-out IK based rigged characters. Very powerful in this area, and arguably more powerful and much easier to use for this type of work than Harmony Premium (which is a pain in the butt for more complex cut-out IK based character work unless you really know your way around scripting).

Anyway, OT, Moho Pro, and ClipStudio EX cost WAY less than even the Advanced version of Harmony, let alone the Premium version. And gets you "better" tools. At the expense of having to learn three apps, and pay more attention to the overall workflow.

I use Macromedia flash 8

Ps I actually paid for it

What animation programs do you use?

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-02 22:12:15

When I was animating, I made everything with MS Paint and Movie Maker.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-04 20:32:45

I'm using Animate CC 2017, but I'm thinking of learning Toon Boom however I don't know anything about that software exept that, apparently it has a better brush than Animate

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-10 13:12:17

Toonboom harmony. Better than "Pencil". Pencil is free but compared to actually paying for useful programs, it's a cheap way to start.

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-14 14:37:23

That sounds pretty coll, I like doing animations myself too.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-23 06:17:22

I use Microsoft Powerpoint. I do all the animations in 2003 version because I am super comfortable with its interface which makes me able to create lengthy shows. After I'm finished with the animation I save it as video in Powerpoint 2010 or above. Then I do all the audio/video editing in Audio Premiere.

This has been the way I've been making animations since 2012. And I love doing it.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-26 16:23:40

I use animation desk. I suck at animating. Mine always get blammed.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-08-27 13:45:08

I use flash, but I once used Toon boom. I didn't really like it.
It's ok if you do

nothing here tho.

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-11 16:22:35

At 4/21/18 08:47 PM, SketchyAnt wrote: Hi!
Sort of new here. I used to be on this site years ago under a different name and since I have started work on a new project I thought I would come back to this website.

Coming back made me curious though because in the last year I have changed the animation program that I use. I used to use Flash/Animate but have moved to Toon Boom and am loving it so far.
So I guess my question is what animation programs do you use? Do most people here only use Flash or is there a wide variety of animation programs used by the users on this site?

Photoshop currently. Yeah I know it's the Amstrad of Animation systems, but good enough to work high-end .psd files on basic stop-motion animation.

I really need to get into the next level stuff though.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-14 15:36:22

i use piskel to make my animations

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-23 17:47:02

At 5/13/18 04:09 AM, hvanderwegen wrote:
At 5/12/18 06:56 AM, Alone-Saul wrote: you realise that adobe gave out free keys with unlimited uses right?
...to license holders of CS2 and CS1 only, yes.

Adobe shut down the CS2 license servers a couple of years ago, and decided to operate under the honour system: only those users who owned a valid license of either CS1 or CS2 are legally allowed to make use of those keys. Adobe made that abundantly clear on their website.

Many people still misunderstood, and still misunderstand this crucial bit of information. If you don't own a license, you're not supposed to use those keys. If you DO decide to download the apps and use the keys DESPITE not owning a license, you are breaking the law. It's really very simple.

Why do you suppose Adobe switched to a different approach last year when they turned off the old CS3 license servers? They didn't want a repeat situation. Now CS3 owners must contact Adobe personally to receive a new unlimited license key. An honour system just doesn't work with most people. It was quite amazing to see Adobe giving users the benefit of the doubt. But it failed: most people are greedy little buggers.

Anyway, it's your choice to self-justify the use of unlicensed software. But don't delude yourself or others: Adobe never gave away Flash 8 or CS2 for free.

You know you're breaking the law by speaking about Adobe software without the consent of Adobe itself. They made it very clear on their website that only people who are authorised Adobe trained teachers are allowed to talk on behalf of Adobe and Adobe related products. You can face serious repercussions by not following Adobe's clear cut rules. I myself am a trained official Adobe consultant and we will be monitoring your behaviour.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-23 21:56:09

People use a lot of different animation programs!
I was expecting most people here to use Flash, that's what I started out with when I first began animating years ago.

I guess it's a good thing that there are so many different programs and ways to animate. It lets you choose what program fits best for your animation style.

Shamelessly promoting our new upcoming work because why not?

BBS Signature

At 9/23/18 05:47 PM, Soupcat wrote:
You know you're breaking the law by speaking about Adobe software without the consent of Adobe itself. They made it very clear on their website that only people who are authorised Adobe trained teachers are allowed to talk on behalf of Adobe and Adobe related products. You can face serious repercussions by not following Adobe's clear cut rules. I myself am a trained official Adobe consultant and we will be monitoring your behaviour.

Lucky me then that I am indeed an ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) for all these older versions. ;-) :P

Of course, there's also something called "free speech".

Anyway, no need to hack old licensed software nowadays if you want to use high-quality animation software legally for free. There are options like OpenToonz, Krita and Blender, and more if you look around.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-28 23:34:50

<---- Uses Moho Pro

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-09-30 12:11:04

I use Flash MX 2004. It's not the best, but it gets the job done and it's free

okay, mainly because it's the best free animation stuffs for me

You can do anything, as long as it's cool i guess

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-10-02 20:29:36

i use vectorian giotto because its free

lol

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-10-09 15:24:14

I use Flash Cs6, Clip Studio Paint, Krita, and i would like to get into using Opentoonz, but it has a bit of a steep learning curve to start our with that i haven't had the motivation to get over yet.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-10-09 20:45:15

Toonboom Harmony, After Effects and occasionally Flash for animatics

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-10-27 19:17:55

I havent ever animated but I wanna I do draw though I use photoshop sc at school and use microsoft paint at home. In my opinion photoshop sc works better.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-11-02 17:12:38

I've got a sort of old school meets new school process where I animate with pencil and paper, scan it to my computer, then ink and color it digitally using Krita.
It's pretty much just the old cel animation technique except, you know, way cheaper.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.