00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What animation programs do you use?

10,529 Views | 117 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi!
Sort of new here. I used to be on this site years ago under a different name and since I have started work on a new project I thought I would come back to this website.

Coming back made me curious though because in the last year I have changed the animation program that I use. I used to use Flash/Animate but have moved to Toon Boom and am loving it so far.
So I guess my question is what animation programs do you use? Do most people here only use Flash or is there a wide variety of animation programs used by the users on this site?

I remember when I was using this site years ago most videos were made with Flash. It also made me curious; do people post videos on here that have been used by other programs like Toon Boom or TVPaint or any other animation program?

Shamelessly promoting our new upcoming work because why not?

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-25 06:45:01

Hey i use macromedia flash professional 8 you can get this version for free ! (legally)
i invite you to a discord server where you can get some help too ! https://discord.gg/uf8ncmQ

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 02:02:28

At 4/25/18 06:45 AM, Alone-Saul wrote: Hey i use macromedia flash professional 8 you can get this version for free ! (legally)
i invite you to a discord server where you can get some help too ! https://discord.gg/uf8ncmQ

Haha it's okay, I know how to animate, thank you though!

I was just curious to know what programs people generally use that are on this site

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 04:27:55

Flash MX2004 for the small ones, Flash CS4 for the big ones.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 04:49:09

i uses krita
because..
i am unprofessional like that XD

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 12:34:16

At 4/25/18 06:45 AM, Alone-Saul wrote: Hey i use macromedia flash professional 8 you can get this version for free ! (legally)

I didn't know it was free now. That's amazing!

RIP Macromedia

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 14:54:51

At 4/26/18 12:34 PM, Kwing wrote:
I didn't know it was free now. That's amazing!

RIP Macromedia

They died out around 2011 to 2012. My teachers were the last in the animation streak of communications. I wonder if they shut down their field or if something else happened that saved the field.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 15:13:37

Haha, I use MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-26 17:58:52

I use pencil 2d.

Round and Round goes the Merry-go-Round!

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-04-30 07:04:40

I use Adobe Animate CC! I really like the intuitive design. It's a great way to learning animation.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-04 23:19:04

At 4/26/18 04:49 AM, Comet-Comics wrote: i uses krita
because..

I use Krita too! I've used a bunch and it's definitely my favorite.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-06 12:41:43

I've been using Flash CS3 for awhile and thinking of making a jump to Animate since I'm running into too many limitations and bugs. I gave ToonBoom a try but I ran into a problem where it would throw off my pen calibration because I was using multiple monitors(SAI does the same thing). Not sure if it was the version I was using or it's been fixed already but for now Flash is my comfort zone.

8======D:

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-06 21:20:42

At 5/6/18 12:41 PM, ducciboi wrote: I've been using Flash CS3 for awhile and thinking of making a jump to Animate since I'm running into too many limitations and bugs. I gave ToonBoom a try but I ran into a problem where it would throw off my pen calibration because I was using multiple monitors(SAI does the same thing). Not sure if it was the version I was using or it's been fixed already but for now Flash is my comfort zone.

That's interesting that Toon Boom does that. Do you have something like a wacom tablet or is the second monitor something like a cintiq where you can draw straight onto it?

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-07 03:05:07

I use Flash CS6 for both drawing and animating. I got some extensions for it which add more tools.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-07 08:45:53

ToonBoom, baby

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-07 08:46:04

ToonBoom, baby

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-07 08:46:59

At 5/6/18 09:20 PM, SketchyAnt wrote:
That's interesting that Toon Boom does that. Do you have something like a wacom tablet or is the second monitor something like a cintiq where you can draw straight onto it?

Yeah I use a Yiynova 19" tablet

8======D:

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-07 14:09:15

Aseprite is good for pixel animations

That's probably not too useful for you tho, hopefully someone else gets something out of this post

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-08 06:13:33

At 5/7/18 08:46 AM, xDeadBoii wrote: ToonBoom, baby

Yeess, my boy!

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-09 16:21:48

At 4/26/18 04:49 AM, Comet-Comics wrote: i uses krita
because..

I've been thinking of using Krita for animation while Blender is still preparing their Grease pencil update. Is there anyway to insert audio at different places? If not, is there a method you have found for adding in audio at just the right spot? And how does Krita treat you with animation? It slows down my computer. >.<

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

I've been thinking of using Krita for animation while Blender is still preparing their Grease pencil update. Is there anyway to insert audio at different places? If not, is there a method you have found for adding in audio at just the right spot? And how does Krita treat you with animation? It slows down my computer. >.<

my friend, there is no hope.
I edit and merge my audios together into one audio (works if you know what to do) but then, krita freezes/shutdowns every 5 minutes and i cant get no stuff done.
i need something new too :(

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-10 11:14:41

Flash CS3 is my baby!!!

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-10 18:48:25

OpenToonz and ClipStudio, without a question. I also use Krita, Moho Pro and Blender for animation.

Blender's new 2d animation tools are becoming quite interesting as well.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmSdY56VtY

PS anyone telling you that Flash 8 is "free" (or any other version, for that matter): not true. Adobe acquired Macromedia years and years ago, and also gained possession over all its software. Which means you're still breaking the law if you download and use Flash 8 without a proper license that you purchased. And it cannot be purchased anymore, so...

Of course, whether Adobe cares? Who knows? But your "free" Flash 8 is still unlicensed and illegal.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-10 20:34:47

At 5/10/18 06:48 PM, hvanderwegen wrote: OpenToonz and ClipStudio, without a question. I also use Krita, Moho Pro and Blender for animation.

Blender's new 2d animation tools are becoming quite interesting as well.

I'm getting excited for it! Blender should be ready by the end of the summer for it and I'm hoping to use Blender for all animations there forward.

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-11 19:55:06

Yes! It is acctualy legal to get it! i already have it for 6 months and it is pretty good!

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-12 02:48:00

At 5/11/18 07:55 PM, CroDavid wrote:
Yes! It is acctualy legal to get it! i already have it for 6 months and it is pretty good!

Saying it is legal and downloading and installing Flash 8 without owning a proper license doesn't actually make it legal to do so, unfortunately.

Flash 8 is owned by Adobe, and wasn't released in the public domain. It is old (ancient) software, and Adobe probably couldn't care less about people using Flash 8 for "free", but that still doesn't make it legal. Adobe is the legal owner of all Macromedia software.

Simply stated, if you are using Flash 8 without a legally purchased license, you are breaking the law. You may not care, but it is what it is.

Btw, just setting the record straight here. This "free and legal Flash 8" myth has been doing the rounds on Youtube and other channels, and it simply isn't true. Same holds true for "CS2 is free" - it is not either.

Whether you care? Well, that's up to you, and your sense of responsibility.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-12 06:56:40

you realise that adobe gave out free keys with unlimited uses right?

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-12 07:26:43

Well, I am a Stop Motion Animator so it's Stop Motion Studio.

12gauge

BBS Signature

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-13 04:09:41

At 5/12/18 06:56 AM, Alone-Saul wrote: you realise that adobe gave out free keys with unlimited uses right?

...to license holders of CS2 and CS1 only, yes.

Adobe shut down the CS2 license servers a couple of years ago, and decided to operate under the honour system: only those users who owned a valid license of either CS1 or CS2 are legally allowed to make use of those keys. Adobe made that abundantly clear on their website.

Many people still misunderstood, and still misunderstand this crucial bit of information. If you don't own a license, you're not supposed to use those keys. If you DO decide to download the apps and use the keys DESPITE not owning a license, you are breaking the law. It's really very simple.

Why do you suppose Adobe switched to a different approach last year when they turned off the old CS3 license servers? They didn't want a repeat situation. Now CS3 owners must contact Adobe personally to receive a new unlimited license key. An honour system just doesn't work with most people. It was quite amazing to see Adobe giving users the benefit of the doubt. But it failed: most people are greedy little buggers.

Anyway, it's your choice to self-justify the use of unlicensed software. But don't delude yourself or others: Adobe never gave away Flash 8 or CS2 for free.

Response to What animation programs do you use? 2018-05-13 12:49:04

i dont know