00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE!

44,334 Views | 601 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 18:17:46

I can't decide between the two, you all have such amazing and fun ideas! :D

(with the skeletons and graveyard, it's the bottom image of a welcome party rather than the card game, maybe)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 18:18:17

The other image.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 18:56:10

Face is pretty much complete. A lot left to do in a week but this is the most complex part.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 20:16:20

Thinking of doing a fantasy background outside of the shattered wall (which will be colored soon). Option #1 is a castle in the dark that's mysterious yet welcoming. Option #2 is a hobbit like home on a hill in broad daylight Option #3 is an elf city Option #4 is a dragon cave What do u guys think?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 22:31:09

At 11/15/17 12:07 PM, Ratomemes wrote: Ostrich Party. Hope no one drew anything related to this, counting that there are 17 pages of ideias.

Lol I did an idea w/ an ostrich :P It looks so bad I wish I found out you can download special brushes on MediBang before i submitted it ;O;

(Btw my idea was that the ostrich's head is a monster type deal, but the head is always underground so pftt you can't tell)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-15 23:33:13

At 11/15/17 08:16 PM, KnightfallDesigns wrote: Thinking of doing a fantasy background outside of the shattered wall (which will be colored soon). Option #1 is a castle in the dark that's mysterious yet welcoming. Option #2 is a hobbit like home on a hill in broad daylight Option #3 is an elf city Option #4 is a dragon cave What do u guys think?

I really like dragon cave because I personally love dragons, but I'd be curious to see a dark and mysterious castle that's also welcoming. It could be a good challenge

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 00:22:51

Heres a rough sketch of what im gonna go for, so wip I suppose

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 01:32:07

Well, I think I am going to mark this as complete.

A drawing is only a pencil stroke away.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 02:02:32

WIP of my artwork for this cotm! Good luck everyone!

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 02:59:01

My WIP for the COTM :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 04:20:26

im coming to a near finshed piece got some more work done tonight see for yourself.... tommorow i will have it completed and submitted let me know what your think

At 11/16/17 02:02 AM, Julisen3 wrote: WIP of my artwork for this cotm! Good luck everyone!

looking good do you mind if i ask you what brushes you use for inking i love the way you have inked here ;)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 05:10:33

Out of curiosity if I have a piece I did in the past that fits the current theme can I still use it, or does it have to be draw this month?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 09:09:01

I want to enter but I don't know if mines good enough and I'm so nervous about it.......

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 09:30:06

okay, i have an idea but don't know if its suited for this competition.

I've lost my grandfather last month to cancer and i've thought a lot about how my view of him had changed during the last months of his life. I started to see him more as a dying 'patient' instead of my jolly, friendly, kind hearted granddad.

i think that for most people who have been in my situation it's hard to stay positive and remember him for who he was instead of who he had become because of the cancer...

so i thought about having an old, withered, sick man in a hospital bed in the foreground and the most important things in his life in the background to simbolize that.

it's so that you remember that, no matter how grey and grim times get, the happy memories still lie beneath the surface. You’d be surprised how easy this simple fact is to forget. People tend to only see the ‘unfairness’ of the situation when they should be focusing on the fact that, despite appearances, the person you love and have loved is still there underneath all that sadness and that he needs your unwavering support more than ever.

Would this be a valid concept to enter the contest?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 11:09:10

This is my WIP for my first COTM

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 15:46:06

At 11/16/17 09:30 AM, Eurns wrote: okay, i have an idea but don't know if its suited for this competition.

Would this be a valid concept to enter the contest?

Go for it! im new to this too and i dont think i will be able to make an entry this time but it sounds like it would be good :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 17:03:29

Hello, this is my work in progress for the under the surface competition. It doesn't look like much right now, but hopefully it will make sense when it's completed. This is a sketch of the setting my character will be sat in. I found out how difficult it was to draw inside a sphere in 2D.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 17:06:33

To follow up from my previous setting sketch, here is my character sketch.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 18:42:32

This is my first time doing this and it's so fun seeing everyone's drawings. Here is my work-in-progress drawing title "AA Battery (A is for Adorable)." Tell me what you think :)

At 11/15/17 06:03 PM, babiben wrote: Here what I made. Don't know if I had to put some colors on it...
Tell me what you think

Hey, looks really neat! Is it finished? Or is it only a WIP?

If it's the finished product, don't forget to upload it to the Art Portal and then to include some proof you drew it! A picture or video will suffice. Then, include that WIP proof in the the description of the final project. I've included a picture of my description for my submission, which has a link to the WIP, which I also uploaded to the Art Portal.

If it is a WIP, can't wait to see the final result! :)

Sláinte,
-WW

P.S.: Sorry in advance if you tried clicking the picture.

Purveyor of fine/good-enough art

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-16 23:31:19

finally after long hours of hard work i have bought my artwork to a finish now to submit my final

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 03:25:09

Hi!!
Thought I`ll try entering this competition.

This is a WIP picture from a couple days ago.

You can see the finished image here: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/z4kron/hope-they-don-t-notice

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 06:04:29

Open is not for proffessionals it's for artists that have been drawing/practicing for longer than say a few months. Very young kids should go beginner and people who JUST started getting into art. The beginner category is not for people who have been for years, that's an unfair advantage.

Oh well I didn't know that. Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna go change the tag in my submission.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 06:27:09

If I have something I did in the past that fits this theme can I enter it? Or does it have to be from this month?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 09:15:00

I started working on my painting and I completed the background so far. I am however very unhappy with the waves, I made several attempts and watched some YouTube tutorials but I just can't make them look right.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 11:10:55

At 11/17/17 09:15 AM, Broccoli42 wrote: I started working on my painting and I completed the background so far. I am however very unhappy with the waves, I made several attempts and watched some YouTube tutorials but I just can't make them look right.

Cool beans! You might try making the furthest waves fade into the horizon a bit. Look up "aerial perspective" to see what I mean. Possibly also make the tips of the waves "sharper". Those are two ideas I can suggest off the top of my head.

Good luck!
-WW

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 13:48:22

At 11/17/17 11:10 AM, W3R3W00F wrote:
Cool beans! You might try making the furthest waves fade into the horizon a bit. Look up "aerial perspective" to see what I mean. Possibly also make the tips of the waves "sharper". Those are two ideas I can suggest off the top of my head.

Good luck!
-WW

Thank you for your tips, I will try this out

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-17 16:50:35

At 11/16/17 11:31 PM, Kouta99 wrote: finally after long hours of hard work i have bought my artwork to a finish now to submit my final

Looks like you worked hard :) Don't forget to include a link to a WIP picture in your Art Portal submission!

At 11/17/17 04:50 PM, W3R3W00F wrote:
At 11/16/17 11:31 PM, Kouta99 wrote: finally after long hours of hard work i have bought my artwork to a finish now to submit my final
Looks like you worked hard :) Don't forget to include a link to a WIP picture in your Art Portal submission!

I have already submitted to the portal am I able to edit and add a WIP picture to my submission thanks for letting me know

Update added my WIP thread to my submission thanks mate really appreciate it