00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

liazx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE!

44,141 Views | 601 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 12:08:43

At 11/6/17 06:33 AM, alexbondhtc wrote: here's my WIP, any feedback? :)

I had to download it to turn up the contrast, but it looks good! I like hungry looks of the monsters. Just make sure the photo of your final submission is clear :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 12:28:43

WIP 3
I decided that the solitary image didn't quite solidify the theme; other devils looking down on the main subject seemed to do the trick...

Thoughts?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 12:58:02

At 11/6/17 12:45 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 11/6/17 12:28 PM, Nexiras wrote:
Thoughts?
Image itself is good however I can't see the "Under the Surface" here.

It's basically that the devil in the bottom left is ashamed of her being a devil (tear running down her cheek), hence "under the surface" she is an angel (or at least not a devil). It's kinda about how people are often stereotyped or forced into roles they don't like. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll think of a way to make the message clearer... :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 13:32:27

At 11/6/17 01:19 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 11/6/17 12:58 PM, Nexiras wrote:
It's basically that the devil in the bottom left is ashamed of her being a devil (tear running down her cheek), hence "under the surface" she is an angel (or at least not a devil). It's kinda about how people are often stereotyped or forced into roles they don't like. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll think of a way to make the message clearer... :)
I see. Well maybe have that characteristic manifest more physically since the tears are a bit too subtle.
Give her a tiny Halo or hiding a small pile of feathers (from wings) or something

A halo is a good idea, I think I'll go with that! I also put a flower in her hair, but it isn't very noticeable. Changing it to a bow might help; less lines to interfere...

My WIP of my entry. for my piece I decided to twist the topic a little bi, as in whats under the surface of what people say, so in this case the girl is saying that shes ok but she is actually broken inside.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 14:07:37

Mostly complete with the main subject portion of the painting. Still figuring out adding other elements to incorporate to the composition.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 14:19:05

At 11/6/17 01:51 PM, BabySafari wrote: My WIP of my entry. for my piece I decided to twist the topic a little bi, as in whats under the surface of what people say, so in this case the girl is saying that shes ok but she is actually broken inside.

I like the way you did it, but i was gonna draw the same thing, cause its not an original idea. Im not sure if you copied or not, but an artist whos name i do not know has already drawn that same image ( a bit differently). people will realise and youll be diqualified. Im just passing on info because a few people have told me the same thing so ive already decided to draw something original.

At 11/6/17 01:51 PM, BabySafari wrote: My WIP of my entry. for my piece I decided to twist the topic a little bi, as in whats under the surface of what people say, so in this case the girl is saying that shes ok but she is actually broken inside.

i think you saw the piece made by destinyblue and wanted to make something similar
its a really good idea but its not really yours so atleast mention the original creator so that people dont think that you stole it
as long as its not exacly the same i ok i guess
i dropped the original below

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 15:47:58

This is my first draft of my entry into under the surface, it seems a bit busy at the moment but now on to colour.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 15:52:05

I didn't realise someone else had done that (a professional artist as it seems) but it wasn't my intention to steal or anything as the idea just came to me. If I put the name of the person who did it first in the description do you think it will be alright?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 15:54:44

At 11/6/17 03:19 PM, cosmicmutant wrote:
i think you saw the piece made by destinyblue and wanted to make something similar
its a really good idea but its not really yours so atleast mention the original creator so that people dont think that you stole it

you probably won't believe me but I haven't actually seen that picture before, well I might of in the past and that's how I thought of it but if I put the name of that artist in the description do you think it will be fie?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:02:12

Man, there are some really cool drawings in this thread. Especially the underground giant who was holding a flower was amazing!

Anyway, I'm finally done. It more or less turned out like I wanted, which is a miracle in itself. :P I have probably drawn every pixel at least 3 times because I messed up the layers and ended up working in a single layer. >_>

my Deviantart: http://agezo.deviantart.com/

Also trying to pick up animation again, but not sure where to start...

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:12:09

At 11/6/17 03:54 PM, BabySafari wrote:
At 11/6/17 03:19 PM, cosmicmutant wrote:
you probably won't believe me but I haven't actually seen that picture before, well I might of in the past and that's how I thought of it but if I put the name of that artist in the description do you think it will be fie?

there is a good chance that it will be fine and i have it somethimes as well that i thinks of something good ant it seems that it alreasy exists but it shouldnt stop you from trying to make your own version so i would just continue your drawing and put your story about how you came up with the idea without having seen the picture before
the scetch looked nice tho

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:12:56

At 11/6/17 06:33 AM, alexbondhtc wrote: here's my WIP, any feedback? :)

I wold suggest changing it up a bit and adding more of your imagination into it ... don’t want to be rude or anything but it looks to much like the original image

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:16:08

So, I got 2 options on what I could do but I’m still not completely certain that they go with the theme, please let me know what you think and which is your favourite? Thank you :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:17:22

At 11/6/17 04:12 PM,

there is a good chance that it will be fine and i have it somethimes as well that i thinks of something good ant it seems that it alreasy exists but it shouldnt stop you from trying to make your own version so i would just continue your drawing and put your story about how you came up with the idea without having seen the picture before
the scetch looked nice tho

Thanks, I finished it and put the artist who came up with it first in the description so I hope it will be fine.
I put an image of my finished piece:

At 11/6/17 04:16 PM, Zoe-H wrote: So, I got 2 options on what I could do but I’m still not completely certain that they go with the theme, please let me know what you think and which is your favourite? Thank you :)

(The bottom one has pumpkins in the tentacles because I was going to do it Halloween themed but since Halloween is gone now so I might change it to something different..)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:35:25

At 11/6/17 04:02 PM, Agezo wrote: Man, there are some really cool drawings in this thread. Especially the underground giant who was holding a flower was amazing!

Anyway, I'm finally done. It more or less turned out like I wanted, which is a miracle in itself. :P I have probably drawn every pixel at least 3 times because I messed up the layers and ended up working in a single layer. >_>

Incredible! I love the sense of detail and the bright colours contrasting against the dark

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:42:47

Here is my WIP

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 16:56:42

At 11/6/17 04:02 PM, Agezo wrote: Anyway, I'm finally done. It more or less turned out like I wanted, which is a miracle in itself. :P I have probably drawn every pixel at least 3 times because I messed up the layers and ended up working in a single layer. >_>

It's beautiful! Love it :D

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 17:15:52

At 11/6/17 04:42 PM, BaptisteDufour wrote: Here is my WIP

Wow, I love this. It’s so beautiful and well thought out

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 17:36:26

At 11/6/17 05:15 PM, Zoe-H wrote:

Thank you I almost finished it but I don't know if people will understand that the blue things are roots :')

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 18:08:38

At 11/6/17 05:36 PM, BaptisteDufour wrote:
Thank you I almost finished it but I don't know if people will understand that the blue things are roots :')

I really like this one :)

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 18:22:36

2nd wip the under the surface is the fairys having fun and emmursing with the wild for now there are 2 fairys one tampering with the lock in the back ground and one riding the bird, more to come later.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 19:05:20

At 11/6/17 05:36 PM, BaptisteDufour wrote:

Hmm.. maybe make them look like normal roots (instead of cut) but pull them back so the woman is still the main attraction. Maybe make them curl up at the ends to make them look more magical?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 19:30:36

Hey Guys, I need a good opinion on something!
Thought the best people to ask would be fellow artists.

I've drawn a couple sketches of what I could do, and I ended up deciding on what I wanted to do.
So, I have my idea, and I have decided I also want to do this traditionally, mostly because I am relatively new to digital art, so I don't think I have enough experience to do this art piece digitally.
But this leaves me with the question of what medium I should do this art piece in...

I've always bee found of water coloring and acrylic painting. However, I also work well with Copics, or even just doing this work in only pen, with no color.
I could use some second opinions on this subject matter...

So you guys can see my work before in these mediums, here is my Deviantart: https://marshmallows98.deviantart.com/ (You don't need to follow me if you would not like to, this is just to show you what I have been able to do in the past)

If you'd like to see my sketch, I can post that too.

Thanks so much guys! ^w^

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 19:38:22

this is my 3th wip update
can you give me some advise on what i should improve and is the message clear
some of the colours are not what they should have been but thats due to my phone making colours not show like they really are
i drew this in sony sketch on a samsung galaxy s7
please let me know what you think

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 19:40:31

drew up and played with textures happy with how it came out so far what do ypu think next i will add some shading then move on to her live human body

At 11/6/17 09:13 PM, godzillachild wrote: Can we do licensed characters (as in, do fanart and stuff) or does it need to be original content only? I have a pretty sweet idea using a Batman villain but I'm not gonna do it unless it's not against the rules...

It has to be a original creation check back on the rules and and Jazzas video ... just a quick update you can take your idea and turn that into a original perspective

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-06 22:05:12

At 11/6/17 04:02 PM, Agezo wrote: Anyway, I'm finally done. It more or less turned out like I wanted, which is a miracle in itself. :P I have probably drawn every pixel at least 3 times because I messed up the layers and ended up working in a single layer. >_>

I really like how it has like a glowy effect, good job :)