00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Psych3d3lia just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE!

44,399 Views | 601 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 01:32:22

WIP 3? 4? Idek anymore. The sky didn't turn out very bright, so thinking of going over that area again. Hopefully the paper will survive. I'm also likely gonna go over it with a thicker outline, though I'm not sure if I should bother. Any feedback is appreciated :) The picture is more or less finished now so probably see if there are any details to add. Not too satisfied with the ground, but it's the most I can do so I'm forcing myself to stop lol.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 10:08:34

At 11/7/17 08:15 PM, Kachowga wrote: ok so i think im finished. What do you guys think? as for the evidence and wip im gonna make a slideshow of a bunch of w.i.p images

Pretty neat! I like the purple bird creature. :D

At 11/8/17 12:17 AM, W3R3W00F wrote: There's no age limit, right?

"Narcissus 2"

Wow, you really nailed the lighting there. How did you get that kind of texture in your drawing? Is it a special brush?

my Deviantart: http://agezo.deviantart.com/

Also trying to pick up animation again, but not sure where to start...

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 10:23:27

At 11/8/17 04:31 PM, cosmicmutant wrote: this is WIP part 4

the biggest part are done there are only some small parts left to do (a lot o small parts)
made in sony sketch on my samsung galaxy s7

i hope that you like what i have done so far and that i didnt wast my time on this (cause i have exames and i should be studing instead of drawing xD)

It looks really, really good.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 10:54:12

Well here’s my rough draft for this months competition. I’ve got the idea for a young child looking into the mirror and seeing not him but a big more heroic version of himself. Symbolizing that on the inside he sees himself as a brave hero. Let me know what you all think

At 11/9/17 10:08 AM, Agezo wrote:
At 11/8/17 12:17 AM, W3R3W00F wrote: There's no age limit, right?

"Narcissus 2"
Wow, you really nailed the lighting there. How did you get that kind of texture in your drawing? Is it a special brush?

Thanks! I'm not sure which texture you're referring to, but I'll try to answer as much as I can.

-The canvas texture is from a brush included in KyleBrush's MegaPack, I think, and it's under the FX section. I created one bright-grey layer (some value above #7F7F7F) and then duplicated it, changing it to a dark-grey layer (some value below #7F7F7F). Both layers were set to multiply mode. You can slightly nudge either layer a few pixels over to increase the effect of the canvas, but the contrast between the two greys is what will make the biggest impact (I don't recommend one layer white and one layer black). Both layers were then placed into a group, to which I added a layer mask for the group. This allowed me to erase the canvas effect where I wanted to, in order to simulate thicker applications of "paint" hiding the original texture.
You don't necessarily need Kyle's canvas FX brushes to get the job done, but I totally recommend his stuff nonetheless.

Other texturey stuff I used could be from KyleBrush, or from brush packs found on DeviantART.

Collect a lot of brushes and take them for a spin. Keep what works, ctrl-z what doesn't, repeat. It can be overwhelming at times, but if you need them, they're there. Even for smoother surfaces, I rarely use Photoshop's pud, non-textured brushes, save for the basic soft-round brushes for helping to establishing lighting in beginning stages or for layer effects in which their hideous, non-texturedness is not apparent.
And just because a brush is called something doesn't mean it's only for one thing: I used a foliage brush for the white splash above the surface of the water. ;)

All the best,
-WW

Purveyor of fine/good-enough art

At 11/9/17 12:12 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 11/9/17 10:54 AM, Adrian2124 wrote: I’ve got the idea for a young child looking into the mirror and seeing not him but a big more heroic version of himself. Symbolizing that on the inside he sees himself as a brave hero. Let me know what you all think
Concept is good, buddy however I think you should change the angle.
No offense but the finished piece would look like the boy is giving some strange man in the mirror a blow job.
Have it be side view or at an oblique angle.

yeah please use an other angle because the internet has ruined us and our brain says something else xD
or make it that the face of the boy isnt aligned with the underpart of the big guy

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 12:59:22

Mine is about the drawing process xD

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 13:16:01

Hi!
This is my first time entering the COTM. Here is my WIP, what do you think?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 13:29:51

Okay, so i have made my sketch and i’m happy with it, so this is my art in progress. I wanted to do something weird so yeah

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 13:35:11

So, i wanted to make something different. I’m not sure it is but i feel happy by the sketch

Alright, so i am working on my sketch of it, but I don't have an electronic to take a picture of it for now.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 15:34:36

how does the sydney opera house as fins to a giant underwater sea monster sound?

At 11/9/17 03:34 PM, JingerPi wrote: how does the sydney opera house as fins to a giant underwater sea monster sound?

here is a sketch i made any early feedback?

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-09 19:53:34

Here's my work in progress based on the game Portal 2!

here is a sketch i made any early feedback?

That, actually looks pretty cool! the mouth looks kind of weird though, don't really know what I see wrong in it exactly though...

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 01:37:28

B-UNDERTHESURFACE

https://instagram.com/p/BbTgI1jh52H/#B-UNDERTHESURFACE

#B-UNDERTHESURFACE

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 03:33:11

Mmmmm Looks like a WIP piece of arts to me :P

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 08:00:27

At 11/2/17 07:45 PM, Sugicake wrote: just made my little sketch.. i hope this counts :3
its a natural Hot tub xD and the bubbles and heat are made of secret captured fire creatures =v=

its beautiful, i wish i had so much creativity

Going to start again. Trying to think about how I can use a card like element to the design

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 10:47:02

At 11/4/17 01:36 PM, Xandercashaw09 wrote:
At 11/3/17 05:35 PM, lilyhosegood wrote: Hey guys, heres my WIP. been a while since I've done a jazza comp so I'm pretty exited to dig in :) the character is dark souls inspired and I hope to render it out with some Frazetta-like elements. Give it a sort of classic fantasy feel. Any advice would be much appreciated :) Hopefully I'll be able to give more info on the story behind the piece soon. still working on it but the title will be something along the lines of 'Tortured soul'
That looks a lot like the faaram armour and the one on the bottom or top is from the case on dark souls 2 but just flipped so I guess it’s original

yeah the piece is dark souls inspired but It's just not working for me. I'm going to start again and try for something with a bit more personality and character. i don't think i tried hard enough with this sketch. Should have worked up a ton of design iterations first, which is what I'm going to do next time around. Thanks for your input.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 11:32:21

All set on the original post.

Thanks for the reminder!

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 11:40:05

At 11/2/17 07:25 PM, caroline-can-draw wrote: Quick question: I'm 13 years old and I've been drawing seriously for about 2ish years. Do you guys think I should enter the open or beginner category? I feel like I'm pretty young compared to most of the artists in the open category, and most of those artists have been drawing for much longer than I have, so I think I should enter the beginner category. Thoughts?

I'd say o for the Beginner category. I'm 15 and i've been trying to art for about four years but I still believe the Ope category is for actual professionals so I'll submit to beginner. If you wanna challenge yourself though, go for it :)

B-underthesurface wip linkimg-20171104-12305.jpg if link doesn't work then next comment has wip
(Its a hill! With a face...

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 12:55:03

This was my wip

Righto. Heres the new sketch. You guys got any advice? I'm hoping it still hits the theme. The under the surface part is more metaphorical in my piece. It's more about the emotions we hide. A hero who puts on a brave face and keeps fighting despite what he's lost.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 15:48:26

At 11/10/17 02:39 PM, lilyhosegood wrote: Righto. Heres the new sketch. You guys got any advice? I'm hoping it still hits the theme. The under the surface part is more metaphorical in my piece. It's more about the emotions we hide. A hero who puts on a brave face and keeps fighting despite what he's lost.

Blocking in some clipping masks.

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 15:51:49

hi, here are my sketches, what do you think? my idea is to have a girl sitting in a hill in a grey world, but under the hill, there is a hidden world full of colors and characters

im sorry for the poor quality of the pictures

Response to Nov COTM: UNDER THE SURFACE! 2017-11-10 16:13:38

I finally decided what I'm going to paint, I want to show Jesus who seems to be walking on water, but he is actually standing on the back of a whale.