00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

a125678298 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day!

15,061 Views | 66 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 15:15:35

There are two big events this weekend, Pixel Day here on NG and the Global Game Jam, happening worldwide! Oh and I think there's a new president or something starting this weekend too.

If you make something for Pixel Day (pixel art, animation, game or chiptune), upload it on Saturday the 21st, tagging it with "pixelday2017" so we find it.

If you make a web game for the Global Game Jam, upload and tag it with "ggj2017" to be included in our collection.

Newgrounds accepts both Flash and HTML5 games. If you make a game with GameMaker or Unity, you can export an HTML5 version and upload a ZIP with your game files to NG. If you have GameMaker but not the HTML5 extension, PM me with a link to your game - I have a few licenses on-hand for the most promising looking games!

If you live in Richmond, Virginia, I'll be giving a GGJ keynote Friday night at 7pm, at the Commonwealth University Arts Depot. My talk is open to the public but if you are under 18 you must attend with a parent or guardian. If you would like to participate and make a game at that location, you must register.

Other News

Ad rates are notoriously low this time of year so we've been testing increased promotion of MMO games we've partnered with here on NG. If you check out one of our redesigned pages (front page or the game / movie / audio / art / community hubs) and aren't logged in, you will see a 970x90 banner promoting such games. If you ARE logged in, you'll see a promo for the latest supporter. The MMOs require an NG account to play so my hope is they result in more sign-ups, which then result in more supporters down the road.

The nice thing about both ads is they are static (no CPU drain) and hosted by NG, so they don't hang the page or do any weird user tracking. If this model has enough success during the low ad season, maybe it could go site-wide and continue year-round! I'm looking to make more partnerships with web-based MMOs, so if you have a favorite PLEASE share it with me and I'll reach out to them.

You can also skip the foreplay and go straight to being a supporter, with no ads and a bunch of perks for just $2.99 per month or $25 for the whole year. We have 1,665 active supporters and it would be great to hit 2,000 before the end of Q1. Your help meeting this goal would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone has a great and productive weekend, we have a lot of pixely goodness and new games to look forward to in the coming days!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 15:44:27

I'm happy to report that:

A: Expect something from me on Pixel Day, and...

B: I just renewed my yearly supporter upgrade!

also, first post

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 15:46:02

At 1/19/17 03:44 PM, ChazDude wrote: I'm happy to report that:

A: Expect something from me on Pixel Day, and...

B: I just renewed my yearly supporter upgrade!

Awesome and THANK YOU!

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 15:53:36

I'm so excited for pixel day. Last year was a lot of fun. I managed to get something prepared just in time, too (it's a song yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay)!

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 16:46:31

At 1/19/17 03:53 PM, Evilgrapez wrote: I'm so excited for pixel day. Last year was a lot of fun. I managed to get something prepared just in time, too (it's a song yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay)!

Thanks for participating! Hoping the turnout will grow each year - would love to see it bring in lots of pixel artists and chiptune musicians who don't normally hang around on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 17:24:23

After a lot of delays, I could finally publish one adventure mini game I made then I saw the pixel day 2017, and thought to delay it again (I with I could work full time on this and not have a day job and other things) so It can particicipate in the Pixel day. Also I have a few chiptunes and some art too for the pixel day.

About the global game jam I saw it but for the time being I'm avoiding all the jams because of the time constrains in my life and my current skill programming. :(

And when I can afford it I'm going to up my suporter donation, I love Newgrounds, ever since I discovered it, this is one of the most open minded (we can talk about and publish almost anything) and at the same time uplifting comunity arround. And I only regret not being a more active member until I started publishing things.

Keep it up Tom!

It's good to learn something new every day!

Trying to develop games, music and art.

Follow my work!

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 17:32:42

I'm uploading my biggest pixel art ever for Pixel Day! (it's not actually that big but still pretty exciting) I've been working on it since December :')
I can't wait to see all of the art and music that gets submitted! Also super pumped that you're coming down to VCU. I'll be sure to stop by and lurk around. The Depot is a really great space, I hope you enjoy your time there.

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 17:37:08

At 1/19/17 05:24 PM, Raeldor wrote: After a lot of delays, I could finally publish one adventure mini game I made then I saw the pixel day 2017, and thought to delay it again (I with I could work full time on this and not have a day job and other things) so It can particicipate in the Pixel day. Also I have a few chiptunes and some art too for the pixel day.

Can't wait to see to see it!

And when I can afford it I'm going to up my suporter donation, I love Newgrounds, ever since I discovered it, this is one of the most open minded (we can talk about and publish almost anything) and at the same time uplifting comunity arround. And I only regret not being a more active member until I started publishing things.

Thank you! And don't worry about giving more than you do, unless of course you have tons of money and want to avoid spending it on a bunch of vices, in which case NG is a good alternative.

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 17:39:50

At 1/19/17 05:32 PM, moawling wrote: I'm uploading my biggest pixel art ever for Pixel Day! (it's not actually that big but still pretty exciting) I've been working on it since December :')
I can't wait to see all of the art and music that gets submitted! Also super pumped that you're coming down to VCU. I'll be sure to stop by and lurk around. The Depot is a really great space, I hope you enjoy your time there.

It should be a nice trip, as long as we survive the drive past DC on Inauguration Day (planning a detour). We're planning to leave super early so if things go REALLY well there's a chance I could catch the live ceremony on TV from the hotel. I'm bringing the whole family although not 100% sure if I'll bring the kids to the talk Friday night. Planning to bring them by Saturday to see what everyone has been making, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 18:31:35

At 1/19/17 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Oh and I think there's a new president or something starting this weekend too.

Make NG great again!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 20:24:39

Was making something for Pixel day but due to an extra busy schedule it might not be ready in time.

Still, looking forward to see all the great pixel art people will upload sat!

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 20:25:15

I'm fairly new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question.
Does it have to be uploaded on the 21st or can it be uploaded anytime around the 21st?

I wish I could see that keynote, Tom!
I'll be part of the staff of a local GGJ on Santiago, which means I won't be making a jam game, but at least I'll be telling the jammers to upload to NG later ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 20:49:00

Woo, 14th! I'm always that guy... ):
Don't expect too much, but I might make something this Pixel Day.

"I was born... out of the greediness of mankind. While men exist, so will I... BLAAAGGHHH!!" - Bacterion

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-19 21:38:00

Boy oh boy I can't wait to play Naruto Online!

Click the Squid -> 🦑

tom do NOT let the user below me purchase newgrounds ... com

BBS Signature

im the boss of newgrounds dot com hi how are ya

BBS Signature

Alright gaylords i'm knocking off this popsicle stand so BACK OFF

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 01:20:29

At 1/20/17 01:19 AM, BasicallyTomFulp wrote:
At 1/20/17 01:15 AM, TehSlapHappy wrote: im the boss of newgrounds dot com hi how are ya
the edit button was a mistake

ur a missed steak im the boss of newgrounds dot com u fuckin idoit YA FIRED!!!~

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 01:23:42

At 1/20/17 01:21 AM, Zachary wrote: If you ARE NOT a supporter... DO NOT EVER TALK TO ME EVER AGAIN!

Don't talk to me or my supporter alt ever again

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 05:28:23

Get ready for my rage-causing game that I made for Pixel Day.

I was hoping to release my first game in 6 years on pixel day, but sadly it will not be ready in time ;( Which is sad for me because I was looking forward to showing off what html5 can do. meh, maybe next year.

Good luck to all the entries! I look forward to judging you :D

At 1/20/17 05:28 AM, Wolod wrote: Get ready for my rage-causing game that I made for Pixel Day.

looking forward to it :D

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 07:59:32

After I upload Newgroundsvania part 2 art I'm going to be staying home all day to browse some awesome Pixel Day submissions.

I wonder if Tom Fulp or any NG users knows Pixel Joint?

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 08:05:57

Sounds great
What will the keynote be about?
Wheres my NG app?

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 11:13:20

So glad you're coming to RVA for GGJ! See ya at the keynote

BBS Signature

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 14:34:09

Fuck Donald Trump!

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-20 22:01:01

Blarrr.... got off to a good start on a pixel day game, then the deadline rushed up... gonna try to get it dunnn, might be later on tomorrow...

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-21 03:02:09

I make chiptunes all the time! I haven't been on Newgrounds in a while, besides checking in every once in a while for flash games. I've created a new account and uploaded some stuff.

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-21 04:35:36

I have a question,Iv uploaded two chiptune songs earlier this month,can those be in the contest?

Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-21 06:46:27

So...what if we made something for Pixel Day, and then uploaded it before today?