• 73 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Hendertaker
Hendertaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator

At what time are they still accepting submissions?

Evilgrapez
Evilgrapez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician

This is what I did for Pixel Day:

• Evilgrapez - Rainbow Resort
    Evilgrapez - Rainbow Resort by Evilgrapez

Song for Pixel Day 2017!

Score
    4.58 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Chipstep
    Popularity

Pixel Day has been awesome so far. Been seeing lots of great art and chiptunes. Haven't had the cahnce to play any games yet but I'm sure there will be some great ones as well. :D

MEGAROBBY
MEGAROBBY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-22 00:50:01 Reply

At 1/20/17 02:34 PM, Wiesi wrote: Fuck Donald Trump!

Amen. I almost had time to have him get his ass kicked again!

Colorflower
Colorflower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-22 03:28:34 Reply

픽셀의 날이 왔다!오니 뉴그라운즈 블로그가 매우 새로워 보인다. 다른 뉴그라운즈 기념일도 뉴그라운즈 블로그를 멋지게 꾸몄으면 좋겠다. 올해의 다짐은 공부를 열심히 하고,뉴그라운즈 와 Devinant art에서 좋아하는 사람이 많이 생기는 것이 내 소원이다.

Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day!

Hi.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-22 07:12:01 Reply

Happy Pixel Day! Stumbled upon some pretty addicting games in the portal yesterday.

Didn't get around to making anything as I had planned, so I'll just do like the back;drop this old thing...

Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day!

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-22 21:19:02 Reply

At 1/21/17 08:31 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/19/17 09:38 PM, squidly wrote: Boy oh boy I can't wait to play Naruto Online!
Do your duty squidly and you better SMILE while you play!

:(

Good.

Wolod
Wolod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer

I promised a rage-causing game. So here it is.

• Minute of Rage
    Minute of Rage by Wolod

Try to survive one minute on the deadly arena.

Score
    3.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

Lophery
Lophery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-23 14:36:46 Reply

I missed the 21st can I still enter

ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician

Okay, super rambly post here, but I promise I do have a point -- and a MMO suggestion as well as a question buried in here. I'm just frazzled from crazy sleep schedule, hahah.

At 1/19/17 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ad rates are notoriously low this time of year so we've been testing increased promotion of MMO games we've partnered with here on NG. If you check out one of our redesigned pages (front page or the game / movie / audio / art / community hubs) and aren't logged in, you will see a 970x90 banner promoting such games. If you ARE logged in, you'll see a promo for the latest supporter. The MMOs require an NG account to play so my hope is they result in more sign-ups, which then result in more supporters down the road.

Ah, yes, I was wondering why I was seeing fewer ads on those pages. I'm happy to see us trying new things, especially with the finger Google has been giving us for a while, forcing us to work with companies who aren't partnered with them, which is hard, since they're a veritable giant in all markets. They've gotten too much power in the past 15 years. Used to be trustworthy. Now instead of galoshes of integrity and neutrality, they've traded for a pair of censorship combat boots.. Oh, and dollar bills. NG is one of the few sites around that isn't all about dollar bills, no matter how many times we ask people for support, and that's something I really appreciate. I don't feel like you're all but reaching in my wallet like YT Red, ya know? (as if Google needs that extra money -- urgh *rageragerage*)

A thought occurred to me. Would it be possible for us to select what kinds of ads we want in the future -- without all that annoying tracking BS, or if we would still like to have ads even as supporters?

The nice thing about both ads is they are static (no CPU drain) and hosted by NG, so they don't hang the page or do any weird user tracking. If this model has enough success during the low ad season, maybe it could go site-wide and continue year-round! I'm looking to make more partnerships with web-based MMOs, so if you have a favorite PLEASE share it with me and I'll reach out to them.

This sounds cool although I do wonder if there's no tracking, are you making money with these ads being on the page for impressions? It doesn't sound like it. Although in low ad season I know impressions are practically worthless. Click-throughs is what everyone cares about, $$$.

That being said, I'm excited for this, as NG is how I discovered Tribal Wars back in '06. That was a wild ride, and I still occasionally play it. They're still around and have Tribal Wars 2 out as well. If you're not partnered with them already, the nerdy crowd that frequents this place might be interested in something like Tribal Wars.

Back to the ads, I'm glad these are static, even if I don't see them -- the video ads in the AP would absolutely hammer my firefox and get my video card running hot. PC barely will keep up with the NG audio player for some reason as it. The constantly refreshing video on the side was making it just about impossible to listen to music on here for a while, and eventually I had to block the worst offenders because my browser just started freezing. I've never had a problem with any other ads on site, just those -- I think they're flash video ads? Granted, I have a pretty aged rig. Interestingly, it runs 1440p video flawlessly, but flash hangs it up big time. Probably all the rendering.

Hope everyone has a great and productive weekend, we have a lot of pixely goodness and new games to look forward to in the coming days!

Great post as always, Tom. Also, by any chance was your speech recorded/uploaded anywhere?

The simplest solution is either right, or dumb af.
AP Flag HowTo - VSTs! - Sig by LexaHergon

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-23 16:16:40 Reply

At 1/23/17 03:23 PM, EDM364 wrote: A thought occurred to me. Would it be possible for us to select what kinds of ads we want in the future -- without all that annoying tracking BS, or if we would still like to have ads even as supporters?

I don't imagine having a variety of ads to choose from, although I would like an option for supporters to at least see the promo that shows who the latest supporter is. I personally like seeing that but it also takes up screen real-estate.

That being said, I'm excited for this, as NG is how I discovered Tribal Wars back in '06. That was a wild ride, and I still occasionally play it. They're still around and have Tribal Wars 2 out as well. If you're not partnered with them already, the nerdy crowd that frequents this place might be interested in something like Tribal Wars.

I've reached out to Innogames so we'll see what happens there!

Great post as always, Tom. Also, by any chance was your speech recorded/uploaded anywhere?

I think I saw at least one person filming but not sure if it will end up on-line. I just did a search and all I found was this.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile

The redesigned pages look nice and sleek and all, but they dont look as interesting. Like, the buttons and headers dont have that gritty background that makes it look all cool and whatnot. It honesly looks more like what you might find for a mobile version of a site. And I know you've been working to make NG work better on mobile Tom, so if this is part of your plan for that, then you did a great job.

Maybe thats just me tho

Psybot
Psybot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-25 07:30:18 Reply

I've got a song named "pixel". I made a while back and not for this purpose, but i think it could be a nice addition to this event. Please check it out :)

I wanna thank Mydnite for creating my awsome sig!

And be sure to check out my music ^^

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-25 17:02:18 Reply

Is there a link to your Keynote speech? @tomfulp

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Richmond, VA GGJ & Pixel Day! 2017-01-25 17:03:20 Reply

At 1/25/17 05:02 PM, deathink wrote: Is there a link to your Keynote speech? @tomfulp

Not that I've seen.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature