00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TuffzNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why are people so critical here

6,569 Views | 89 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 10:26:30

Before I start I want people to know I'm not salty or anything my content isn't the best hell not even close everything I'm on this site to practice and upload funny shit. Now to my main point I can't help but feel like a lot of people are waaaay too critical of other people's work I've seen really great content get ripped apart by people for the most nitpicky shit imaginable most of the harshest critics aren't even animators at that. What happened to just uploading fun content and people being supportive for a change I've had good luck in that regard but some people who make truly great stuff can't catch a break. I think the problem is people's standards are too fucking high they want everything to look professional and seem to forget people have to start somewhere not to mention the portal gives some a god complexe. I love this place but I can see why YouTube is destroying it people don't have to go through that damn portal and actually get encouragement to improve and don't have to deal with people with these insane standards most of which can't make a sick man animation. I just wish people didn't take things so seriously it's particularly bad with animations just a bunch of assholes with nothing better to do than hate on people's work. Also shoutouts to constructive critics who have helped me improve you guys are the reason I became a supporter.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:08:26

do you know what a run on sentence is

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:16:45

At 1/14/17 11:08 AM, Spedmallet wrote: do you know what a run on sentence is

Just the kind of response I was expecting.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:22:14

At 1/14/17 11:16 AM, Supahninja wrote:

but like

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:28:48

At 1/14/17 11:22 AM, Spedmallet wrote:
At 1/14/17 11:16 AM, Supahninja wrote:
but like

This is the bullshit that's killed this site.

When posing an argument or a question its important to phrase it in a way that doesn't immediately undermine your integrity as a person. That's why Spedmallet remarked that way and continues to do so, he is not being unreasonable in his comment, your OP looks ridiculous and I dont want to read it because of the way you typed it and im interested in knowing what it says. (run on sentence) What about the people that arent? Just something to think about next time you make a thread.

advocatus diaboli

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:43:30

At 1/14/17 11:30 AM, Template88 wrote: When posing an argument or a question its important to phrase it in a way that doesn't immediately undermine your integrity as a person. That's why Spedmallet remarked that way and continues to do so, he is not being unreasonable in his comment, your OP looks ridiculous and I dont want to read it because of the way you typed it and im interested in knowing what it says. (run on sentence) What about the people that arent? Just something to think about next time you make a thread.

I mentioned the people who provide constructive criticism, They're the reason I'm still on here but most people that write reviews are overly critical assholes. Also that guy was being an annoying prick.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:50:21

I gotta say, I'm not impressed with your comment here. In this whole paragraph you only used seven periods and no commas at all, not very professional. Your whole point doesn't seem very clear either, you are not expressing yourself with the clarity and verbose needed to present an argument to a forum as respectable as this one. Your choice of emote is subpar too, "slightly concerned yellow face" will always be inferior to "concerned yellow face". Overall this whole comment only gets a 2/5 from me, it just doesn't cut it.

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:50:47

Here's my two-cents on this matter.

There will always be critics, and there will always be opinions, and they will not always be animators commenting your stuff.

In fact, it is better to get opinions on a general audience rather than a specific audience. I mean, take a look at IMDB; there's some good films get ripped apart by harsh comments, but are they filmmakers? No; they're just a general audience like you and me. And bad comment or not, it is still a legit comment.

But my point is that criticism exists for two reasons (in my opinion) -- to help us improve on the next project we face, and to build up our tolerance so words can't break us. Even as a beginner, we still learn from our critics and turn it as a reminder not to make that mistake again.

I remembered just animating a bouncing ball and get pulled apart with a couple mistakes, but do I let it stop me? No, I continue on forward and take that criticism to a grain of salt.

Animation is not, and should never be, considered as a hobby -- it is a hard-working job and a very competitive one too. Regardless if it is for a professional studio or for casual purposes like gathering fans or entertaining people, there will always be competition to grab the appeal from the general audience. And if the majority of the audience don't like it and pull it apart, that's a wake-up call needed to be heard.

If we can't handle those comments and let it break us, then why bother continue animating? It's gonna get worse down the road.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 11:57:16

At 1/14/17 11:28 AM, Supahninja wrote: This is the bullshit that's killed this site.

are you sure about that

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:04:48

I guess my main point is that people here seem to forget animation is supposed to be fun my main thing is game development, it's the people who say "This is shit" and give someone's content 1 star with constructive to say that piss me off. I appreciate your comment :)

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:05:51

XD

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:06:57

At 1/14/17 11:57 AM, Spedmallet wrote:
At 1/14/17 11:28 AM, Supahninja wrote: This is the bullshit that's killed this site.
are you sure about that

Well I run into a lot less people like you on YouTube soooo

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:09:45

At 1/14/17 12:06 PM, Supahninja wrote:
are you sure about that
on YouTube

Are you sure about that

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:18:48

At 1/14/17 12:09 PM, Spedmallet wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:06 PM, Supahninja wrote:
are you sure about that
on YouTube
Are you sure about that

I went to check out your work you drew a girl with a dick.......

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:22:36

At 1/14/17 12:18 PM, Supahninja wrote:
Are you sure about that

do you find that to be in poor taste?

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:24:47

At 1/14/17 12:22 PM, Sicsophor wrote: I only think of animation as a hobby, even though it is my job. If I treated it as such I wouldn't want to keep doing it everyday.

True.

But if this is something I want to keep doing for a long period of time, I'd rather take it seriously than lightly.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:28:39

At 1/14/17 12:22 PM, Spedmallet wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:18 PM, Supahninja wrote:
Are you sure about that
do you find that to be in poor taste?

It's not my thing but I don't criticize other people's art if you draw dick girls then you have no right to judge others. Much like I have no right to judge someone which I dont.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:30:51

At 1/14/17 12:28 PM, Supahninja wrote:
It's not my thing but I don't criticize other people's art if you draw dick girls then you have no right to judge others. Much like I have no right to judge someone which I dont.

are you sure about that

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:32:59

At 1/14/17 12:30 PM, Spedmallet wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:28 PM, Supahninja wrote:
are you sure about that

Pretty sure, It's not my place to judge someone's fetish don't be a hypocrite.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:34:53

sperg

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:56:01

At 1/14/17 12:39 PM, Sicsophor wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:24 PM, ValterValyun wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:22 PM, Sicsophor wrote:

I checked out your stuff it's awesome

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 12:56:31

At 1/14/17 12:24 PM, ValterValyun wrote:
At 1/14/17 12:22 PM, Sicsophor wrote: I only think of animation as a hobby, even though it is my job. If I treated it as such I wouldn't want to keep doing it everyday.
True.

But if this is something I want to keep doing for a long period of time, I'd rather take it seriously than lightly.

You've got some sweet content

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 17:44:52

At 1/14/17 11:43 AM, Supahninja wrote:
I mentioned the people who provide constructive criticism, They're the reason I'm still on here but most people that write reviews are overly critical assholes. Also that guy was being an annoying prick.

If they write reviews that aren't helpful, then ignore it. It's not like it changes depending on the site you're on- there's always going to be people like that. It's the internet.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 22:28:52

At 1/14/17 05:44 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 1/14/17 11:43 AM, Supahninja wrote:

If they write reviews that aren't helpful, then ignore it. It's not like it changes depending on the site you're on- there's always going to be people like that. It's the internet.

Very true it's the fact thatit affects your score that's annoying. But you gotta point

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-14 23:12:08

a question that being asked a lot and yet the answer is so simple:
"WELCOME TO THE INTERENT!"

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-15 02:26:35

If people say something thats negative but true then its fair criticism you can learn from it because all criticism is constructive unless you want to be amateur all your life.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-15 02:29:58

The reviewer base is a lot different from the forum base, so it's not really pragmatic to ask here. I think most content browsers tend to be on the younger side, compare your work to the best the site has to offer, and if they aren't animators (as you noted) they either don't know what to look for or otherwise don't understand how much work goes into a portal submission.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-15 02:37:21

Its not about effort its quality.

Response to Why are people so critical here 2017-01-15 09:57:54

I don't know, like

I'm not even trying to be funny or ironic

I seriously want to know if this guy is legitimately autistic

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature