00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Almost-Ichabod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters.

93,232 Views | 1,523 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

iu_83599_725545.jpg

Also. Lemon/vodka/mint sorbet. This shouldn't be too hard to make at home either...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-06 12:58:33

At 12/28/19 03:29 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/28/19 02:28 PM, CoachFro wrote: I enjoy many breads, but sourdough is probably my least favorite. Its huge here where I live too. If you just ordered bread with a meal your actually asking for sourdough as the default/regular/normal bread.

I much rather rye bread.
I like rye too, but sourdough is just a whole other level man! Have you eaten it a lot? Tried different types? Real sourdough, not just the cheaper kinds with just a little extract to give it that taste?

I'm from an area that's supposed to have some of the best sourdough in the world. Like I said, you'd have to go out of your way to get normal bread at a location, sourdough is the "normal" bread here. I've had cheap stuff, expensive stuff, and "gourmet" stuff at some fancy restaurants/local bakeries. I just don't like it.

I feel like some things, in particular things that are generally healthier for you, take some time to acquire a taste for. Sour things, fermented things, strange vegetables and fruits... coffee. Maybe the brain eventually starts to respond differently to certain tastes depending on the health affect it relates with those ingredients, so if you keep eating them your psyche starts rewarding you for it. Just gotta get over that initial doorstep of dislike!

I tend to like everything that I eat so it's actually a bit odd that I would dislike something. Virtually any fruit, vegetable, meat whether cooked or raw, etc... I never shy away from eating something and enjoy almost everything. There's just something about it that I dislike. It's overpowering in sour flavor. I tend to like some sour things, but actually can't stomach "sour" beers either.

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-06 13:03:13

At 1/6/20 12:58 PM, Fro wrote: I'm from an area that's supposed to have some of the best sourdough in the world. Like I said, you'd have to go out of your way to get normal bread at a location, sourdough is the "normal" bread here. I've had cheap stuff, expensive stuff, and "gourmet" stuff at some fancy restaurants/local bakeries. I just don't like it.

Ooh, I should visit some time... any renowned brands/bakeries I could Google?

Tastes do differ huh.

I tend to like everything that I eat so it's actually a bit odd that I would dislike something. Virtually any fruit, vegetable, meat whether cooked or raw, etc... I never shy away from eating something and enjoy almost everything. There's just something about it that I dislike. It's overpowering in sour flavor. I tend to like some sour things, but actually can't stomach "sour" beers either.

Interesting. How about sour cream? Fermented foods? Lemon beer?

I'm not a fan of beer overall but I love the latter. Quite different from the kind of sour in that dough though.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-07 20:57:49

I just made some salmon fillet, roasted peppers and fries onions about an hour and a half ago. I did not put salt on the salmon even though I could have. No infusions this time either. Again, only posting because I was exchanging recipes with a longtime friend.iu_84031_675845.jpg

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

At 1/7/20 08:57 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I just made some salmon fillet, roasted peppers and fries onions about an hour and a half ago. I did not put salt on the salmon even though I could have. No infusions this time either. Again, only posting because I was exchanging recipes with a longtime friend.

Aaa that looks nice. Not all charred either, perfect texture and everything. ;)

Are those bell peppers? Cooked or raw?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-08 07:15:12

At 1/8/20 06:11 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Are those bell peppers? Cooked or raw?

Yes. Boiled and salted.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-08 08:58:50

At 1/8/20 07:15 AM, GoryBlizzard wrote:
At 1/8/20 06:11 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Are those bell peppers? Cooked or raw?
Yes. Boiled and salted.

Nice. don't think I've ever tried them that way. At least not whole.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-08 20:07:47

At 12/14/19 04:12 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/14/19 03:08 AM, Kiwi wrote: Christmas themed trailmix for a Christmas party later today
This looks addicting...

but is it gluten free @Cyberdevil

At 12/22/19 05:39 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Christmas dinner at work this year. Italian cuisine. Need to try something like this some time...

That's tuna btw.

looks good, not a fan of tuna, but I've only had the shredded processed stuff that comes in cans, a fresh fillet is probably as appetizing as it looks

At 1/6/20 04:58 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Inspiration... salmon with roasted vegetables, rice and lemon sauce.

based and fishpilled. You should try Dr. Sumir Thripi Chandra's Mango-Salsa Salmon sometime, a culinary classic!

At 1/8/20 06:11 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/7/20 08:57 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I just made some salmon fillet, roasted peppers and fries onions about an hour and a half ago. I did not put salt on the salmon even though I could have. No infusions this time either. Again, only posting because I was exchanging recipes with a longtime friend.
Aaa that looks nice. Not all charred either, perfect texture and everything. ;)

Are those bell peppers? Cooked or raw?

Not just any type of bell peppers, but sweet mini bell peppers. About 3-5x more flavorful than normal bell peppers.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-08 21:46:09

@prinzy2

This turned out really good. Instead of marinating the chicken I just added all of the marinade ingredients into the sauce ingredients. I made the chicken in an instapot and then cubed it up into the butter sauce to simmer.

Could use a bit more spice, but overall one of the better ones I've made.

https://www.recipetineats.com/butter-chicken/

At 1/8/20 08:07 PM, S3C wrote: but is it gluten free @Cyberdevil

Probably no. :/

looks good, not a fan of tuna, but I've only had the shredded processed stuff that comes in cans, a fresh fillet is probably as appetizing as it looks

Yeah the real thing is surprisingly different. They don't cook it all the way either, and they serve it entirely raw in salads for example. If you cook it to the point of conservation it's just dry and chunky. Though I like that too...

But the real thing's way better. Also feels super nutritious.

based and fishpilled. You should try Dr. Sumir Thripi Chandra's Mango-Salsa Salmon sometime, a culinary classic!

If you provide a recipe or image to go by I shall so do. ;) Sounds nice.

Had some palak paneer yesterday btw, really good. Assuming it wasn't near as spicy as the real Indian version would be though.

Not just any type of bell peppers, but sweet mini bell peppers. About 3-5x more flavorful than normal bell peppers.

You know your bell peppers! As expected of Dr. Sumir Thripi Chandra.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-19 18:38:26

Who all has experience using Dutch ovens?

Made a pot roast yesterday, and while it tasted good, the meat didn't fall apart like some of the great pot roasts I've had. Anyone have tips or tricks, or other things they do with dutch ovens?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-20 05:51:04

At 1/19/20 06:38 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Who all has experience using Dutch ovens?

Made a pot roast yesterday, and while it tasted good, the meat didn't fall apart like some of the great pot roasts I've had. Anyone have tips or tricks, or other things they do with dutch ovens?

Ooh, cast iron cooking pots... didn't know that term for it.

We do have a similar pot, but pretty much only for popcorn and stews so far. Usually leave them to simmer a long time. Tomato brings out a little iron flavor from the pot... no idea what to recommend for pot roast in particular though, maybe length of cooking could be key here too. Takes some time to warm up.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-20 15:15:36

At 1/20/20 05:51 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Ooh, cast iron cooking pots... didn't know that term for it.

We do have a similar pot, but pretty much only for popcorn and stews so far. Usually leave them to simmer a long time. Tomato brings out a little iron flavor from the pot... no idea what to recommend for pot roast in particular though, maybe length of cooking could be key here too. Takes some time to warm up.

I asked my mom her secret, she said she cooks it all day and uses very little liquid. I had it 5 hours in the oven and had liquid half way up.

Mine in particular was better the next day after I sliced it up, pan fried it, put it on some raisin bread with goat cheese and raspberry jam. Weird I know, but so good.

BBS Signature

At 1/20/20 03:15 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: I asked my mom her secret, she said she cooks it all day and uses very little liquid. I had it 5 hours in the oven and had liquid half way up.

I say long cooking time but don't think we've ever tried anything above 1-2 hours! That's impressive... we open the lid to get rid of excess liquid though.

Mine in particular was better the next day after I sliced it up, pan fried it, put it on some raisin bread with goat cheese and raspberry jam. Weird I know, but so good.

That raspberry jam seems like the one real surprise combo addition... you've got all the essential tastes too, sweet sour salt and spicy. Doesn't seem like a bad combo.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-21 13:06:06

At 1/21/20 12:44 PM, Quisty wrote: I'm a mom now, so my culinary expertise has been reduced to making purees of different kinds of vegetables and sometimes meat. It's actually kind of interesting making up purees for a baby

Simple but nutritious foods. :) What do you usually mix for those? New combinations all the time?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-21 22:23:26

Kiwi-san, what is your favorite thing to make for dinner? I will make it and post pictures here.

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-21 23:20:49

At 1/21/20 12:44 PM, Quisty wrote: I'm a mom now, so my culinary expertise has been reduced to making purees of different kinds of vegetables and sometimes meat. It's actually kind of interesting making up purees for a baby

You're making me hungry for apple sauce. But not regular apple sauce, the apple sauce I make from boiling apples, pears, cinnamon sticks, and a touch of maple syrup, making apple cider. Then blending the apples and pears into apple sauce.

Less sweet than store bought apple sauce, plus delicious apple cider.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 00:43:05

At 1/21/20 10:23 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: Kiwi-san, what is your favorite thing to make for dinner? I will make it and post pictures here.

My favorite meal is spaghetti, but my favorite thing to cook with is chicken and potatoes because of all the different varieties/spices you can implement. ☺️

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 00:53:05

At 1/23/20 12:43 AM, Kiwi wrote:
At 1/21/20 10:23 PM, ZetoSoul wrote: Kiwi-san, what is your favorite thing to make for dinner? I will make it and post pictures here.
My favorite meal is spaghetti, but my favorite thing to cook with is chicken and potatoes because of all the different varieties/spices you can implement. ☺️

Do you have any good recipes for chicken and potatoes? I will make it look yummy I promise.

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 08:01:40

At 1/21/20 11:20 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: You're making me hungry for apple sauce. But not regular apple sauce, the apple sauce I make from boiling apples, pears, cinnamon sticks, and a touch of maple syrup, making apple cider. Then blending the apples and pears into apple sauce.

That sounds amazing.

Less sweet than store bought apple sauce, plus delicious apple cider.

How do you separate the cider I wonder? Do you leave it to ferment after that? How long does it take?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 11:16:24

At 1/23/20 12:53 AM, ZetoSoul wrote:
At 1/23/20 12:43 AM, Kiwi wrote:
Do you have any good recipes for chicken and potatoes? I will make it look yummy I promise.

Easy ones are "one pan sheet meals" what where you cook chicken, green beans, and potatoes on a sheet pan and sprinkle seasoning (I like Italian) over top. It tastes delicious. Give "one pan chicken sheet meals" a Google :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 15:56:51

At 1/23/20 08:01 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

:: store bought apple sauce, plus delicious apple cider.

How do you separate the cider I wonder? Do you leave it to ferment after that? How long does it take?

Just the hot non-alcoholic cider, but I do add spiced rum to it.

I leave the apples and pears in half, and use whole cinnamon sticks. Then you can either take them out with a slotted spoon or use a colander. Just remember to put a container underneath to catch the hot cider. XD

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-23 16:45:34

At 1/23/20 03:56 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Just the hot non-alcoholic cider, but I do add spiced rum to it.

I leave the apples and pears in half, and use whole cinnamon sticks. Then you can either take them out with a slotted spoon or use a colander. Just remember to put a container underneath to catch the hot cider. XD

Ah not too complicated after all. Was thinking maybe you need to get rid of all bigger particles before fermentation so it doesn't go bad. But you can make cider like this too hmm... I'll definitely give this a try.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-24 18:49:03

iu_88009_5867179.jpgGot a box of spices for Christmas and I've been implementing them into my meals!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-24 18:49:54

iu_88010_5867179.jpgbreakfast for dinner; scrambled eggs, bacon, fried breakfast potatoes + ketchup. 🤪

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-24 18:53:40

At 1/24/20 06:49 PM, Kiwi wrote: Got a box of spices for Christmas and I've been implementing them into my meals!

Why do you have poison in your spice cabinet?

iu_88011_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-26 09:55:39

At 1/24/20 06:53 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
At 1/24/20 06:49 PM, Kiwi wrote: Got a box of spices for Christmas and I've been implementing them into my meals!

Ahahaha you can't hang w cilantro boo?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-01-26 18:33:53

At 1/26/20 09:55 AM, Kiwi wrote:
At 1/24/20 06:53 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
Ahahaha you can't hang w cilantro boo?

It's just the worst.

Those other spice mixtures look badass though.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-02-08 21:12:09

I currently have a man-sore throat. Similar to the sore throat women get, only a billion times worse. Regular tea with lemon and honey, and salt water gargling are only offering short temporary relief. So I've boiled some fresh ginger, lemon, apple, honey, and Irish whiskey.

What do you girls and guys do for sore throats?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Club for Cooks, Bakers & Eaters. 2020-02-08 22:43:08

At 2/8/20 09:12 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: I currently have a man-sore throat. Similar to the sore throat women get, only a billion times worse. Regular tea with lemon and honey, and salt water gargling are only offering short temporary relief. So I've boiled some fresh ginger, lemon, apple, honey, and Irish whiskey.

What do you girls and guys do for sore throats?

Gargle warm water w/ salt sprinkled into it 😵

BBS Signature