00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ayumi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Underground Collective

24,485 Views | 339 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1405465

Saves you time in case you need a premise, and mine as well cause it's 4 am here.
Excuse any grammar mistake along the way.

I know, I barely get around here to the point I don't even consider myself as a "regular" in the audio boards. The only times I tag along is when some contest comes around the corner or some initiative that catches my interest. I'm no community expert or whatever, I'm just a dude that shares some ideas every once in a while.

Speaking of which, here's one I've been having in my head.

The concept

I've started here on Newgrounds, surprise surprise, ever since 2009. I thought it was the coolest place ever. I could share my music, people would leave some feedback, animators and game designers alike would use my music for their web games or movies, it all sounded very exciting to me at the time. You know, I've always loved that idea of community. A community for creative people, by creative people, sharing their creativity, enabling them to learn and embrace their own potential. That's how I've always viewed Newgrounds in my head. And I'd like to celebrate that idea by putting up a collab album for... well, us, the community and the website for allowing that to happen.

Cause you see, it's only when people gather up that ideas breathe a second life, maybe their true life. It's when possibilities are ultimately multiplied, or in other words, it's when ideas are given a chance to build a bigger reality, new worlds, new perspectives. What better way to celebrate that statement than a collab album? What better way to celebrate the fact that NG is a creative birthplace for many emerging artists and artists to come, inspiring future generations to embrace their talents and build up their own communities? What better way to let ourselves, as Creators, express that powerful message? That we have a voice and ideas worth spreading.

So how do we do that?

Just share your ideas here.

Compose something inspiring, on your own or with the help of someone from NG. In other words, yeah,collabs are more than allowed.

I was thinking we could submit a maximum of 20 tracks, with each track length ranging from 2 to 8 minutes.

Any genre. And I do mean any genre. The goal is to defy the mental slavery of genres and embrace music for what it is. Hell, even just sound per se. Embrace the diversity of sound.

We can figure out together where would we ultimately distribute this album, either Bandcamp or some other place.

Now I'm nearly collapsing on the keyboard, so I'm leaving it to you guys and gals. Suggestions, ideas, comments, rants, feedback... you know what to do. :)

Just PLEASE, keep it civil. Offer criticism, not bickering. In layman's terms, don't be a dick.
Thank you.

//FD

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 00:02:34

I think this is a great idea, and I will give it all I have to try and make something that can change Newgrounds and make it a better place! =D

hi!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 11:54:28

At 2/23/16 12:02 AM, Zechnition wrote: I think this is a great idea, and I will give it all I have to try and make something that can change Newgrounds and make it a better place! =D

Awesome! Glad you like the initiative :)

I just wanted to add there's technically no deadline for submitting your entries as of yet, since we're still trying to determine who's in.

As for the format, just submit your entries here on Newgrounds as regular audio submissions.
If at the end we're gonna release this album in some place like Bandcamp, we might need the lossless versions of each entry.

That's something we can figure out at a later time.

If you got any ideas, feel free to share them over!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 13:01:32

As an emerging artist I would love to submit my most recent piece. Does it matter that it's already made, or not?

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 13:27:15

At 2/23/16 01:01 PM, Gragon73 wrote: As an emerging artist I would love to submit my most recent piece. Does it matter that it's already made, or not?

Feel free, buddy!

At 2/23/16 01:18 PM, Tacticat wrote: Here is my submission.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/672743

Woot! Awesome :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 13:58:11

At 2/23/16 01:56 PM, Lich wrote: Count me in, I have a few evil ideas spinning around in my head.

Welcome on board, Lich ;) Can't wait to see what's in your mind

BBS Signature

Great idea! I support this so much I'll sell one of my fingers for it. A single question, though...
Could I join in? :D

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 15:21:09

At 2/23/16 02:30 PM, Strykur wrote: Great idea! I support this so much I'll sell one of my fingers for it. A single question, though...

Hop on, dude! With all your ten fingers, preferably. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 16:06:07

I'm in, not the typical person around here (some of you can attest to this), got some pieces from before the collective days...

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 16:11:10

At 2/23/16 04:06 PM, Chris354 wrote: I'm in, not the typical person around here (some of you can attest to this), got some pieces from before the collective days...

Sure thing, man. Welcome on board!
Feel free to share your ideas here :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 17:05:53

At 2/23/16 03:21 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
At 2/23/16 02:30 PM, Strykur wrote: Great idea! I support this so much I'll sell one of my fingers for it. A single question, though...
Hop on, dude! With all your ten fingers, preferably. :)

Don't worry, I haven't sold one yet. I'll sell my toe instead :P

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 17:20:19

That's a lot of text in the OP, could you give a TL;DR version?

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 17:35:09

At 2/23/16 05:20 PM, MegaSphere wrote: That's a lot of text in the OP, could you give a TL;DR version?

We're making a collab album to celebrate the fact that we are a community with ideas worth sharing.

If this hits, we might also extend the initiative to other medias such as writing, game design, animation, and what-not.

Interested in the initiative? :)

There's also in haiku form:

A silent whisper
from the roaring underground;
tales of the abyss.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 17:54:06

At 2/23/16 05:47 PM, RealFaction wrote: Haha. I'm trying to determine if I want to put a rock track, a metal track, or an electronic track on the album. Hmmmm......can I make our theme song? XD lol. It's a tricky one. Maybe I should make an overly-passionate Michael Bolton type of comedy rock song where it's about the cause, but it's over-dramatic. Haha yeah, I think I wanna do that. I don't do comedy songs often. So...a rock ballad.

Up to you buddy :P

PS: Wouldn't it be better if the songs were only available and exclusive to the album? I've noticed some people submit their tracks on here. If they're on here there's no real reason for them to get the album lol.

I was kinda thinking about that. I mean, the spirit of the album in the end would be to make something for the initiative.
It's like AIM or any other contest/event here, so I guess it would probably best to compose something from scratch just for the collab effort.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 17:59:59

At 2/23/16 05:56 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 2/23/16 05:54 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
I was kinda thinking about that. I mean, the spirit of the album in the end would be to make something for the initiative.
It's like AIM or any other contest/event here, so I guess it would probably best to compose something from scratch just for the collab effort.
Yeah that's what I'm doing, from scratch. We should definitely do that. Well I guess if anyone posts about it you could message them and say "hey, this is for the album, so is it ok for it to be an album exclusive since we'll want people to get the album?" or something. I'll start working on the song in the near future, I've got a couple clients to finish songs for.

Yeah well, so far we have one submission that is explicitly for the initiative.
@Gragon73 and @Chris354 have expressed interest in submitting something they have already made, so they will now be notified of the change in plans.

Also that's OK, take your time :) I am thinking of composing a couple of tracks, one on my own and the other one would be a surprise.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 18:04:19

At 2/23/16 06:01 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 2/23/16 05:59 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
Yeah well, so far we have one submission that is explicitly for the initiative.
@Gragon73 and @Chris354 have expressed interest in submitting something they have already made, so they will now be notified of the change in plans.

Also that's OK, take your time :) I am thinking of composing a couple of tracks, one on my own and the other one would be a surprise.
Cool! I'm typing this stuff because NG won't let me type one word and keep your quote so I'm just gonna type something random like oh wow how excited I am for this cause and having dinner with my mom in an hour or so.

Alright, haha. Glad to have you on board for this gig!
It starts with audio but it can extend to other medias pretty quickly as well. It'd be cool to do writing collabs with this theme of the creative underground, you know? Also why not, animation collabs, game jams and what-not. They're all possibilities, but in due time. :))

BBS Signature

Personally I dont like the idea beause as a music listener I dont care if the music came from multiple artists or not. the idea of community album means nothing to me - as a listener

the finished result will likely be an incoherent album. People like porter robinson will include songs on an album like Worlds even if he knows they wont be successful for the sake of coherence.

However, as a NG user and an audio submitter the idea is neat, even though you could porbably pull some songs off the "best of month/ year" or whatever and put them on an album and get a better result

If its fun for people its not like im saying dont do it or its a waste of time, im just adding my opinion.

sorry to be that guy

but im totally that guy

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 22:22:22

At 2/23/16 07:46 PM, Rennh wrote: Personally I dont like the idea beause as a music listener I dont care if the music came from multiple artists or not. the idea of community album means nothing to me - as a listener

Then instead of an album, why not just present it as a compilation/bestof?
Listener then has no expectation of coherence.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-23 23:25:57

as an album i don't know if this will work, as someone else pointed out unless it's all one specific genre, there's gonna be a lot of stuff on it that most people just won't personally like.

however, whatever this turns out to be, Ultramartyr will be giving a little something to it, because James and I both support this idea.

(it's gonna be heavy metal)

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

lel

BBS Signature

Well, I think you're all raising some good points.

The idea of the collab is to ultimately bring people together for celebrating what we are as a community. I think it wouldn't make sense to make a "Best of Audio Portal" compilation because it's something that a) is already available on the website (Latest, Greatest, Popular tabs), and b) many other good tracks around the website are not given a chance to even be listened due to how the current system handles the browsing of tracks. It's going to be an album in similar fashion to the A.I.M. past releases, with a different finality but pretty much based on the spirit of community this audio portal has. I think @RealFaction can attest to that.

I think that we could at least give the initiative a try while leaving the benefit of doubt. We, as a community, could ensure that a certain level of quality is maintained throughout the album, but that's what feedback is for. I'm also aware that due to the high number of potential participants there will be a wildly different selection of styles/genres involved, which is why track order comes into view. Tracks will be ordered by trying to maintain a certain flow between each other so that you won't get to a say- chipstep track right after a heavy metal one.

Varying degrees of inconsistencies are sort of expected from an album featuring many artists, each with their own style, but you know that's also what diversity is. I'll just try to minimize the impact of diversity so that it won't sound as off-putting. Then again, from a listener perspective, it's ultimately down to individual taste. If by principle the idea of an album featuring various artists doesn't appeal to you then this album won't appeal to you either.

Thank you all for your input! I'm glad this idea is resonating already.

@sequenced @AcidParadox Hey, that's a cool track! If it's for the collab, could you please say it in the description linking to this post? :) Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 13:37:31

At 2/24/16 09:36 AM, ForgottenDawn wrote: wildly different selection of styles/genres involved

It might be a good idea to touch base on what kind of songs we're all making just to make sure that we are in fact all doing different stuff.
The easiest thing to do would have all of us make songs in genres that we are used to.
That said, I will probably end up submitting a chill DnB track. Others?

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 14:48:12

At 2/24/16 01:37 PM, Gragon73 wrote: It might be a good idea to touch base on what kind of songs we're all making just to make sure that we are in fact all doing different stuff.
The easiest thing to do would have all of us make songs in genres that we are used to.
That said, I will probably end up submitting a chill DnB track. Others?

That actually sounds like a good idea to me. :)

I only encourage everyone to take genres with a grain of salt, as you're absolutely free of experimenting and mix genres in your single entries.

I'm probably gonna do something hybrid/cinematic and electronic/experimental.

I think I could compile a list by now that I'll update every time someone shows interest in the project.

@ForgottenDawn - Hybrid/Cinematic and/or Experimental Electronic
@Tacticat - Hybrid/Cinematic/Misc
@RealFaction - TBD
@sequenced - 8bit/Chiptune-ish
@Gragon73 - Chill/Atmospheric Drum and Bass
@Ultramartyr - Heavy Metal
@Lich - probably Industrial
@Zechnition - TBD
@Strykur - TBD
@Chris354 - TBD

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 14:53:38

I love electronic music. I could do dubstep or techno/dance, since those are my favourite :D

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 15:35:38

At 2/24/16 02:53 PM, Strykur wrote: I love electronic music. I could do dubstep or techno/dance, since those are my favourite :D

Alright!

At 2/24/16 03:12 PM, Lich wrote: Yeah, I'm confirming my role for doing general Electro-Industrial shenanigans or similar in sound, good opportunity to experiment and go crazy haha.

Are we getting an Album Cover sorted for the eventual release?

Awesome, alright!

I was thinking about contacting someone from the Art Portal, but I have no clue about who to contact in particular.
Do you guys have any recommendations?

Here's the updated list meanwhile:

@ForgottenDawn - Hybrid/Cinematic and/or Experimental Electronic
@Tacticat - Hybrid/Cinematic/Misc
@RealFaction - TBD
@sequenced - 8bit/Chiptune-ish
@Gragon73 - Chill/Atmospheric Drum and Bass
@Ultramartyr - Heavy Metal
@Lich - probably Industrial
@Zechnition - TBD
@Strykur - Techno/Dance/Electronic
@Chris354 - TBD

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 16:09:48

At 2/24/16 03:35 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: @Strykur - Techno/Dance/Electronic

I would note that it's dubstep, not electronic, as electronic could also be something completely different like Ambient or Chiptune.

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 17:20:38

"Deadness Of the Arts"

No Audio Just Solem silence,
No Defence just total stillness,
Deadness is Arts is a Result of??
Exploitation!!!
100 Percent Effort
And the "Ignornat"
Are our enemies,
Beauty Greatness Love,
Destroyied By Ugly Money,
If you want change,
Start by changing,
Your standards,
Upgrade your morals,
and your Values,
And it might be worth it.
I feel dead because nothing
reaches out and makes me feel like,
"Yes I want to stay forever"
I reach out but apparently,
she feels that as you all say,
I'm just not kool enough,
so she marries a big man,
because the little guy is week,
but isn't art supposed to be,
the meeksness and humility,
of the little guy,
aperently the big guys,
have take over art,
I'm nothing nothing nothing,
but there is nothing at all.
There's another side to it,
because Jesus say in weeksnees
your made strong,
patheticity can be a good thing,
but apparently yall took the day god died,
and said it didn't make any sence,
if money doesn't change hands,
there is no sence to be made,
I robed rhymes you robed life,
I stole fame, you stole my pretties,
You mean everthing,
everthing means nothing,
I mean nothing, and so dose God,
I close my eyes, I see drak nothing like
little tiny stars,
I see nothing there fore I see God,
Because God is invisible.
and all they can say is don't smoke.

James 4:6 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 17:53:38

Can i join this?

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 17:57:45

At 2/24/16 05:53 PM, AliceMako wrote: Can i join this?

Sure, welcome on board! :) What genre/style do you usually release your own audio, more or less?

BBS Signature

Response to The Underground Collective 2016-02-24 18:24:07

At 2/24/16 05:57 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
At 2/24/16 05:53 PM, AliceMako wrote: Can i join this?
Sure, welcome on board! :) What genre/style do you usually release your own audio, more or less?

I don't know, somebody should tell me what i generally make some time.

Electronica?

BBS Signature