00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Madness Day and NG Status

13,765 Views | 80 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:10:47

The Madness Day 2013 page is now live, with prize information and examples from previous years. Madness Day is Sunday, September 22nd and you can submit movies, games, art or music!

With the announcement of Madness Day 2013 I'll address the same elephant in the room that came up last year - the prize money keeps getting smaller. Here is some good news though:

1) We replaced our load balancer this year, one of our more expensive pieces of hardware.
2) We are about to replace our eight year old storage system, our most expensive piece of hardware.
3) Both of these are being replaced with solutions that don't come with expensive annual service contracts.
4) The cost of our healthcare is going down for the first time in years.
5) We've negotiated a reduced rate for our bandwidth.
6) Thanks to more efficient hardware, we're consolidating our colocation rental from three to two racks.

Special thanks to Brendon for 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6.

In addition to these big things, we've done lots of small cost cutting - switching SSL certification providers, moving domain name registers, etc. The cost cutting will continue through the coming months.

Not only that, but Newgrounds is running great! A lot of things have been tightened up over the spring/summer and even our midnight housekeeping lag is gone.

Supporters can browse NG without page ads and the site should be pretty darn snappy. Our last big speed issue is the Cogent vs Verizon peering dispute which is still ongoing.

Things are looking much more positive for 2014. No big hardware expenses, no big service contracts, lower bills, less expenses overall. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Of course lower expenses don't mean much if NG doesn't continue to improve and grow, so that's in the works too! More on that later though.

Next up: The Best of August!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:13:50

First!

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:15:34

At 9/11/13 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: Stuff

Good news all round, cant wait to see what people create this year!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:16:28

At 9/11/13 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Also clock day winners right =p

I have noticed Newgrounds running better over the past year. So nice and smooth. Good work all around!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:17:19

At 9/11/13 11:16 AM, ForNoReason wrote: Also clock day winners right =p

That's a good question, the clocks pick those!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:30:29

Sounds like great news!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:40:23

Really impressed with how compressed you keep the finances.
I believe when you say that if you controlled finances of YouTube they wouldn't be throwing so much money in the shitter.

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 11:44:44

Ah, gotta love the blood and sweat that the average joe never sees that are put into things like Newgrounds. It looks so simple on the surface, and users can take for granted all of the mind-bending that happens not only for the website, but for content development in general!

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:11:29

So, Pico Day 2014 is still on, right?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:17:55

Oh, how I love good news!

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:27:33

At 9/11/13 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: The Madness Day 2013 page is now live, with prize information and examples from previous years. Madness Day is Sunday, September 22nd and you can submit movies, games, art or music!

Wow. It feels like only yesterday that the last Madness Day was here. How time flies.....

Special thanks to Brendon for 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6.

Whose to thank for 4?

Woo!

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:35:02

Thanks, Bren!

Whose to thank for 4?

The gubberment?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:48:58

At 9/11/13 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: The Madness Day 2013 page is now live, with prize information and examples from previous years. Madness Day is Sunday, September 22nd and you can submit movies, games, art or music!
1) We replaced our load balancer this year, one of our more expensive pieces of hardware.
2) We are about to replace our eight year old storage system, our most expensive piece of hardware.
3) Both of these are being replaced with solutions that don't come with expensive annual service contracts.
4) The cost of our healthcare is going down for the first time in years.
5) We've negotiated a reduced rate for our bandwidth.
6) Thanks to more efficient hardware, we're consolidating our colocation rental from three to two racks.

It's good to hear good news. I don't even comprehend what the 6 listed pieces of good news mean to a user like me, but I know the upcoming Madness Day is the best news of all (even though you can predict it, NG has it every year).

ila

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:49:41

There's no point in rushing a project for Madness Day 2013 now. To make a not crappy game, it should start at least 2 months before Madness Day 2013. Yet every year Newgrounds gets tons of crap.
Let's see what Krinkels has to say about the ongoing celebration.

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:55:22

At 9/11/13 11:13 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: First!

...to fail at life.

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 12:59:38

Egad... To the madness... er... the insanity... uh... to 2014! And thanks for being u Tom; well played and explained.:D

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:13:19

Sounds like Bren was a good hire.

Are the savings enough to start sponsoring (more) games AND increase prize pools, or just the latter?

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:30:12

Sweet that is good news. It's sad that NG had to shrink for a while buy hopefully this helps streamline the company for the long-haul and enables it to be super nimble and competitive in the future! Wee.

Good werk guys

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:44:46

At 9/11/13 12:11 PM, ZJ wrote: So, Pico Day 2014 is still on, right?

We'll still have the event day on NG. We will likely still have an event at the office although I also plan to sell the office. I'll make the call in Dec-Jan if I think that would actually happen before Pico Day.

I love the office, it has been inspirational to lots of people who have visited over the years and aspirational for NG as a company, but the reality is that it's a giant place for a small number of remaining people. I want to rewind things back to the whole "NG Haus" concept. Moving to a house would bring us lower property taxes, lower utility expenses, lower maintenance expenses, etc... Better for the long-term NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:45:10

I just blew my load balancer all over my pants.

also first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:48:34

At 9/11/13 01:45 PM, Luis wrote: I just blew my load balancer all over my pants.

also first post

No first post for YOU!

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:54:56

At 9/11/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: We'll still have the event day on NG. We will likely still have an event at the office although I also plan to sell the office.

But where will I be able to watch the Eagles on a ridiculously large projection screen now? D:

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 13:58:51

At 9/11/13 01:54 PM, Timmy wrote:
At 9/11/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: We'll still have the event day on NG. We will likely still have an event at the office although I also plan to sell the office.
But where will I be able to watch the Eagles on a ridiculously large projection screen now? D:

These are the sacrifices we all must make.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:01:26

At 9/11/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/11/13 12:11 PM, ZJ wrote: So, Pico Day 2014 is still on, right?
We'll still have the event day on NG. We will likely still have an event at the office although I also plan to sell the office.

Things are that bad huh?

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:10:36

Awh I was looking forward to visiting the office some time :(

Hope this newgrounds recession hits a boom again! I'm sure it will, you're making so many improvements each week which is great to see.
:D

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:16:05

At 9/11/13 01:58 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/11/13 01:54 PM, Timmy wrote:
These are the sacrifices we all must make.

You just don't understand, Tom.

All newgrounds is losing is a permanent base of operations that was able to contain and comfortably house artists from all over the country and world who wanted to spend a few days, weeks or even months working with the staff and other local users, collaborating face-to-face on games and movies in a functional and inspiring environment.

But me? I'm losing a place to watch football once a week for 16 weeks out of the year on a big screen...a BIG SCREEN, Thomas!

I can't help but feel this is personal.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:17:06

I'm glad to know the site is still trucking along.

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:18:54

At 9/11/13 02:01 PM, simon wrote: Things are that bad huh?

We could keep the office but it feels wasteful to have something so big nowadays, when there are better ways the money could be spent. One motivation to hold on to it is that property values might finally start going up, after eight years of stagnation. They would need to outpace the ongoing building expenses though.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:20:46

At 9/11/13 02:16 PM, Timmy wrote: All newgrounds is losing is a permanent base of operations that was able to contain and comfortably house artists from all over the country and world who wanted to spend a few days, weeks or even months working with the staff and other local users, collaborating face-to-face on games and movies in a functional and inspiring environment.

But me? I'm losing a place to watch football once a week for 16 weeks out of the year on a big screen...a BIG SCREEN, Thomas!

I can't help but feel this is personal.

OK I'll admit it! Selling the office is really just a passive aggressive way of not hanging out with you anymore!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness Day and NG Status 2013-09-11 14:30:46

Welp, I guess I am going t have to take another trip down to Philly pretty soon. SLUMBER PARTY AT NG HQ!!!

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar