00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boochingi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Crappy "Modern Art"

5,619 Views | 63 Replies

Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:20:22

What is this? Did someone actual get a degree in art to do this?

Call it abstract, call it surreal, say I don't understand it, whatever. But I'm pretty sure this is just paint-splattered crap.

I'm okay with abstract art. I'm even okay with art that doesn't resemble much of anything. But this takes no talent, no coodination, no nothing. What kind of talents went into making this? A little blending? Drawing that leaf?

I can't believe people buy these things and put them on display. Post your thoughts on this "modern art" fad.

Crappy

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:24:34

As if you could put anything in a museum.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:24:55

Picasso was amazing, this just embarrassing.

Become my fan and friend! I am elusive :p

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:26:44

At 2/4/13 04:24 PM, Boomstick wrote: As if you could put anything in a museum.

I don't have a PhD.

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:28:50

The painting/picture/whatever depicted in your post is a space filler to tie a room together and keep the wall from looking empty, not a piece of art to be looked at and appreciated. It's bland and neutral enough to fit in with many different casual home decor styles. I wouldn't call it modern art, or even art at all, since it was probably designed specifically to be sold on store shelves.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:36:02

At 2/4/13 04:28 PM, Tremulos wrote: The painting/picture/whatever depicted in your post is a space filler to tie a room together and keep the wall from looking empty, not a piece of art to be looked at and appreciated. It's bland and neutral enough to fit in with many different casual home decor styles.

I think this is a much more accurate answer as to what this piece of art is.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:36:07

I went to a museum once where they had a showcase of modern art.

One of them was just a huge piece of checkered red and white table cloth.

Pointless.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:51:12

At 2/4/13 04:28 PM, Tremulos wrote: The painting/picture/whatever depicted in your post is a space filler to tie a room together and keep the wall from looking empty, not a piece of art to be looked at and appreciated. It's bland and neutral enough to fit in with many different casual home decor styles. I wouldn't call it modern art, or even art at all, since it was probably designed specifically to be sold on store shelves.

Exactly.

Clearly it wasn't really made for the purpose of being something deep, meaningful and moving. It's more something made to blend in with modernly designed living rooms and I think it looks decent in that regard. Furthermore, I'm not sure if they really hire top class artists to do jobs like this.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:51:33

At 2/4/13 04:40 PM, daethdrain wrote: real art

Ringo.

Stop it, you're not a painter.

You can't paint, Ringo.

You're a drummer, Ringo

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 16:58:30

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:10:35

At 2/4/13 04:20 PM, T3XT wrote: What is this?

You need to turn it by 90 degrees to fully appreciate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:13:46

OP is a pleb

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:15:18

Are we debating over subjectivity again? Good night, guys...

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:17:07

At 2/4/13 04:38 PM, daethdrain wrote: > mfw doesn't appreciate tru art

That almost looks like that tabecloth I mentioned...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:29:43

The day you can understand a single stroke in that painting is the day you can start judging, but only that paint stroke.

It's 2deep4u, deal with it.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 17:38:04

i like it fuck you and your ignorance.

Eternal bliss

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 19:20:32

That looks more like typical bland dentist waiting room-type decoration than the kind of actually thought-out abstract "modern art" willfully ignorant people like to complain about.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 19:22:30

At 2/4/13 05:58 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Anything is art if the artist has declared it art.

Actually, dadaism is anti-art.

which is inherently hypocritical and why the movement collapsed
brought to you by your art teacher 2013

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 19:37:24

Art is pretty much useless. It's all 2deep4u shit now. You can jerk off onto a buddah statue you bought at Family Dollar and it counts as art.

Crappy

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 19:38:30

At 2/4/13 04:20 PM, T3XT wrote: Post your thoughts on this "modern art" fad.

What a twat you are.

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 19:45:53

At 2/4/13 04:20 PM, T3XT wrote: What is this? Did someone actual get a degree in art to do this?

I dunno, beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 20:37:11

At 2/4/13 07:37 PM, LocoJoe wrote: Art is pretty much useless.

I raged pretty hard right here.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 23:10:52

Relevant

Crappy

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 23:41:15

At 2/4/13 05:13 PM, BumFodder wrote: OP is a pleb

Oh well clearly!

BBS Signature

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 23:56:24

It's kinda weird, I'll give it that, but there are bigger things from modern art to rage about.
At least, this took some effort, some people just do practically nothing and call it art, like the guy who shat and pissed on a crucifix.
Andy Worhol did some pretty stuff.

I'll admit, this is really lame, but there are bigger piles of shit in museums.

Speaking of piles of shit, I once saw a piece called "captain shit and the legend of the seven stars".

When I think of modern art, I think of something weird or something random, that takes talent and effort to make.

I'm Del Rio

I like to draw comics and stuff

My Art Thread

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 23:57:26

At 2/4/13 05:58 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Anything is art if the artist has declared it art.

You do understand why this piece of art in particular is so important and revolutionary to the world of art, right ? OP is judging but without proper knowledge of art. And I'm not talking master degree in art history here, just... basic knowledge. There is a strong critic of rationality in a lot of modern art, so looking for easy aesthetics, obvious message or anything that you MTV era kids look for when looking at a painting or a picture, is just retarded.

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-04 23:58:42

At 2/4/13 11:56 PM, DelRio1991 wrote: It's kinda weird, I'll give it that, but there are bigger things from modern art to rage about.
At least, this took some effort, some people just do practically nothing and call it art, like the guy who shat and pissed on a crucifix.
Andy Worhol did some pretty stuff.

*Andy Warhol did some pretty lame stuff

damnit

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-05 00:03:24

You do understand why this piece of art in particular is so important and revolutionary to the world of art, right ? OP is judging but without proper knowledge of art. And I'm not talking master degree in art history here, just... basic knowledge. There is a strong critic of rationality in a lot of modern art, so looking for easy aesthetics, obvious message or anything that you MTV era kids look for when looking at a painting or a picture, is just retarded.

If a baseball player is playing exceptionally poorly, even someone who has never played baseball in their live can tell that it's terrible.
Not all modern art is bad, true, but there are many pieces which are much to be desired. As someone who spends a lot of time drawing and creating, it pains me to just a blot of ink on a canvas selling for thousands of dollars, when the newest issue of Deadpool took more effort to do.

Also, it's kind of a weak argument to say that someone cannot judge something because they are young or from a certain 'era'. OP has a valid point.

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-05 00:03:56

At 2/5/13 12:02 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/4/13 11:57 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: you MTV era kids
oh my god

I was not talking to "you", but rather to people like the original poster. There is a lot to abstract art, and obviously, some people are stuck up with the idea that art has to be beautiful, and really just beautiful in a 1st degree kind of way.

Response to Crappy "Modern Art" 2013-02-05 00:05:37

At 2/5/13 12:03 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/5/13 12:02 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/4/13 11:57 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: you MTV era kids
oh my god
I was not talking to "you", but rather to people like the original poster. There is a lot to abstract art, and obviously, some people are stuck up with the idea that art has to be beautiful, and really just beautiful in a 1st degree kind of way.

Yes and I'm sure that someone who sits and plays call of duty all day has more of a say as to what art is than someone who has actually ventured into a museum?

I'm Del Rio

My Art Thread