00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Moving to Japan?

5,712 Views | 91 Replies

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 01:07:26

At 10/27/12 01:03 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: your obsession with guns is irrelevant to any and all serious problems facing our country and is a huge joke like you

you brought up gun toting first my friend, I just obliged with a response and it is a factor facing our country. now why don't you take your Ad Hominem attacks somewhere else.

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 01:10:42

At 10/27/12 01:09 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: this isn't an argument I am just insulting you

well its derailing the thread.

anyways Rum and Whiskey are my poisons of choice who is with me?

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 05:35:15

At 10/26/12 10:55 PM, Tarah wrote:
Also also, there's curfews and restrictions.

Relax, they're only for the kiddies.

Also, if you're going to Okinawa, keep in mind that, despite being Japan, they have A LOT of American brands shops down there outside the base. Like, say, Dunkin' Donuts & Wendys.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Japanese are as interested in our culture as we are on their culture. They listen to Taylor Swift so much, her CD's sell more there than in the U.S..

Fun to play with, even better to eat.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 06:01:04

u go to Japan and maek him sum sandwiches BITCH.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 06:43:58

At 10/27/12 06:01 AM, Slint wrote: u go to Japan and maek him sum sandwiches BITCH.

wow i should have thought of this because i esteem myself as the highest in quality of badly spelled nonsensical posts + tarah would have been able to tell that i was joking but you thought of it so i award you this nomination for man who wins my heart 2011

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 07:08:49

At 10/27/12 06:43 AM, Boss wrote:
At 10/27/12 06:01 AM, Slint wrote:
wow i should have thought of this because i esteem myself as the highest in quality of badly spelled nonsensical posts + tarah would have been able to tell that i was joking but you thought of it so i award you this nomination for man who wins my heart 2011

I'll never be able to spell as badly good as you can.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 07:17:10

At 10/27/12 07:08 AM, Slint wrote:
I'll never be able to spell as badly good as you can.

im hronousrd

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 08:41:27

At 10/27/12 01:00 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: at least I know how to defend myself exercising my 2nd amendment unlike alot of people who think the police can protect them when we're in a country were pizza gets delivered faster than a cop shows up on a 911 call. and your thinking of the south I live in the Upper Midwest with a job paying my taxes.

lol what an absolute tool.

Implying the pizzaman ia always busy and has to respond to crimes 24/7 and stay at them
Implying the 2nd amendment is a holy scripture and must be followed no matter what
Implying anyone cares that you have a job and pay taxes when you are obviously an entitled middle class twat

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-27 08:42:30

At 10/26/12 10:43 PM, Tarah wrote: What do?

Be happy that you are able to go to Japan. I would love to go there. I doubt I will unless I save up a shitload of money.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:39:43

At 10/26/12 10:55 PM, II2none wrote: My "Obvious Troll-dar" is off the charts!

That's cute you tried to call my a troll, you must be new here.

I've tried to do the whole pros and cons thing with the whole Okinawa issue. Holy fuck is it not worth it.

Cons:
-Far away from family friends
-Plane tickets cost $2k+ round trip per person so if we ever wanted to go home, it'd cost a fortune
-Okinawa is an americanized island full of nothing but military and their whore wives with their faggy children
-Japanese hate the Okinawa base and have been trying to get it shut down for years
-Japanese are extremely hateful towards military and their familes
-From what I'm told, they also hate white people
-It's expensive as fuck over there so if you want to shop outside the base, you'll not only get ripped off for being white/military but you'll spend way too much
-Curfews
-Costs a shit ton of money to have your vehicle(s) shipped there
-No raves, drugs
-Miss tons of events back home like EDC, Comic Con, E3, etc.
-4 whole years in Japan

Pros:
-Sushi, sushi everywhere
-I actually love Japanese food
-The experience of living in another country

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:43:06

At 10/26/12 10:55 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: I'm one of those people that only likes to stay where I'm from, and you're probably the same way. Traveling to Japan for anywhere between days to weeks would be fine, but living there for the long term? Hell no. If I were in a situation as close to yours as I could get, even with a loyal and loving wife, I would still stay behind because there really is no place like home. In the end, this is really your call to make. Don't take it lightly.

You know me too well, Gory. I love living in a bubble and I don't care for "experiencing" new things/places. I already left my bubble when I moved out here, 3 hours away from friends and family to where I only see them every other couple weeks.

I'd feel like a cunt sending him there on his own but he already doesn't want to go to Japan, if I'd go, he says he'd go. But I honestly can't imagine it. We only have 3 options right now and they all suck.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:47:48

Japan won't be that bad, I mean, you get to watch the latest anime and read the latest manga, right? Just import food etc from the country you live in now to when you're in Japan so you won't get homesick.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:49:24

Awesome car culture, awesome historical sites, awesome food, gorgeous cities, and it's on the other side of the fucking world.

Stop being a brat.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:54:37

At 10/30/12 12:47 AM, Shauna wrote: All of the cons you've listed are false except one. I can find plane tickets if you go for the right time of year for only 1000 bucks r/t

I have 5 friends stationed in Japan right now. 3 are single Marines, 2 are married. I've also been dicking around reading wife accounts of living in Japan and just Military guys in general. The Okinawa base has the highest suicide rate of any base in the world because it's so shitty and isolated. I got all this information from them. I've seen them have to buy $4,000 round trip plane tickets back home.

Plus, the time of year I'd want to go back home if I moved to Japan would be expensive as fuck.

Also, I don't know how has the cash to spend a grand on a plane ticket. I can barely fathom spending $400 but then again, I never travel because I hate it.

At 10/30/12 12:49 AM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: Stop being a brat.

Fucking lmao

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:56:00

At 10/30/12 12:47 AM, Shauna wrote: All of the cons you've listed are false except one. I can find plane tickets if you go for the right time of year for only 1000 bucks r/t

bullshit the flights alone are killer, cost to ship vehicles are mad, right about the wives part, right about okinawans right now there is a whole rape thing going on and okinawa is in a shit storm with more anti-american sentiment feelings than usual. in foreign bases for civillian family members there are curfews. no comic con or other things.

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 00:56:37

Are the conditions really that shitty? I thought they would've placed the base closer to a population center.

If you CAN somehow get towards a major city, Japan would be a fucking blast. I'm actually a bit jealous that you're heading there all expenses paid (right?)

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:00:41

At 10/30/12 12:43 AM, Tarah wrote: You know me too well, Gory. I love living in a bubble and I don't care for "experiencing" new things/places. I already left my bubble when I moved out here, 3 hours away from friends and family to where I only see them every other couple weeks.

Damn. I've really never stayed more than an hour and a half away from where I'm originally from for significant periods of time (at least several months).

I'd feel like a cunt sending him there on his own but he already doesn't want to go to Japan, if I'd go, he says he'd go. But I honestly can't imagine it. We only have 3 options right now and they all suck.

Sadly. If you two go, all you two have are each other, and that's really it. The good stuff mostly ends there. You've done a pretty good job pointing the downsides of you going earlier (especially with regards to how many Japanese people view members of the US military), and 4 years is an absurdly lengthy period of time to have to stay there. Yeah, I strongly advise against going with him. You'll likely get such a bad case of homesickness that could take years to recover from, if you manage to recover at all. Still, I imagine you'll continue to be able to contact him from afar and have friends and family members keep you occupied while you remain home.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:01:47

At 10/30/12 12:56 AM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: Are the conditions really that shitty? I thought they would've placed the base closer to a population center.

Yes. There's two bases in Japan. Okinawa and Guam. Both are far from the mainland and are completely Americanized and populated by nothing but military/families.

If you CAN somehow get towards a major city, Japan would be a fucking blast. I'm actually a bit jealous that you're heading there all expenses paid (right?)

Ahahahaa, no. You have to pay your way over there as well as your pets, furniture, belongings, and vehicles. Everything comes out of our wallet.

From what I'm told, they have guided tours if you want to visit the mainland or major cities but otherwise you're apparently not allowed to go out by yourself and if you are, you have a curfew.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:03:19

That actually sounds pretty god damn awful.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:47:26

Living in japan would kick ass. I would love to live there for a couple years.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:50:48

At 10/30/12 12:39 AM, Tarah wrote:
At 10/26/12 10:55 PM, II2none wrote:
I've tried to do the whole pros and cons thing with the whole Okinawa issue. Holy fuck is it not worth it.

That is a lot of cons but can you really be way from your significant other for that long as well? I know there is technology but four years is a long time to be away from someone.

I lived in Misawa Air Base on the mainland as a kid and it was a pretty unique experience. You won't be alone there since there are tons of military families living there as well as other bases in the region but it certainly a different view of the world.

And you are right about the native Okinawans not liking the presence of Americans there. The native Japanese on the main islands are more tolerant and friendly to American personnel.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 01:57:26

Yeah the fact that your on the base and kind of have to deal with their restrictions is a major bummer, I'd like to think the land of the free's base was setting an example by letting it's residents roam more freely but what you described sounds like some kind of boarding school =(

What are the alternatives? Could he possibly, IDK, be stationed somewhere in SD? Or IDK, get a job in SD that doesn't require him to travel? Remember this isn't necessarily about either one of you more then it's about the both of you. I understand you don't want to go and he does, perhaps both of you will have to sacrifice somehow wether it be you going, him not going and finding a job down here or something else I'm not thinking of.

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 02:05:39

At 10/27/12 08:20 AM, Rummy0 wrote: U wono mov there cause ur a weebu uw finks Japon is kowai.

Plus they have good noodles there. :3

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 02:05:42

At 10/30/12 01:47 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Living in japan would kick ass. I would love to live there for a couple years.

weeaboo

cUNT DESTROYER

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 02:09:30

At 10/30/12 02:07 AM, Weeaboo wrote:
At 10/30/12 02:05 AM, Synde wrote:
At 10/30/12 01:47 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Living in japan would kick ass. I would love to live there for a couple years.
weeaboo
illegal text.

ew lol one of them

anime is shit loser get a clue ur parents should disown you for chronic retardation syndrome

cUNT DESTROYER

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 02:12:36

At 10/30/12 01:35 AM, Shauna wrote: In general, all army forces have high suicide rates. The ones forced to a place they don't understand, like Japan, of course have depression issues. Going home during the holidays will obviously be expensive, go experience a different country for a few years, YOU WILL NEVER GET TO EVER DO IT AGAIN. EVER. It's a once in a lifetime experience. GO DO IT. You're not trapped there, worst comes to worse, you fly home and never look back. Go.

I think you missed the part where I hate traveling, see no point in visiting in other countries, and I love living in a bubble. It's expensive as fuck other there so there's really no point in trying to "explore/experience" the surrounding area. I don't care if I'll never get this chance again, I don't like anything about Japan except the food and I could get the white washed version here.

I also hate military wives. They're all whore or nothing but baby factories. I've lived at the base I live at now for a whole year now and I've heard 15 different stories of wives cheating, husbands cheating, every other wife getting pregnant, or they're super religious. I've tried my hardest to make friends out here but it's impossible. I don't tolerate cheaters or catty cunts.

Moving to a base that is basically like this one expect across a fucking ocean and instead of 3 hours away from my family/friends, I'm now a 12 hour plane ride that costs $2,000.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 02:16:58

At 10/30/12 01:50 AM, reverend wrote: That is a lot of cons but can you really be way from your significant other for that long as well? I know there is technology but four years is a long time to be away from someone.

My husband basically said if I don't go, he won't go. I don't think either of us could do a long distance relationship for 4 years or spending $2k every year just to see each other for a little bit.

At 10/30/12 01:57 AM, DarkMatter wrote: What are the alternatives? Could he possibly, IDK, be stationed somewhere in SD? Or IDK, get a job in SD that doesn't require him to travel? Remember this isn't necessarily about either one of you more then it's about the both of you. I understand you don't want to go and he does, perhaps both of you will have to sacrifice somehow wether it be you going, him not going and finding a job down here or something else I'm not thinking of.

Our options right now are that he denies orders and gets new ones which his high ups basically said would fuck us even harder and probably put us somewhere shitty. We were originally trying to stay in San Diego but supposedly all the 3 bases in SD county are "full".

So the other three options are either he changes jobs, goes back to school, and gets randomly placed at a station (another risk), he changes to the Navy/Air Force/Army but can get randomly stationed, or he gets out of the military all together. No matter what, it's really difficult and hard for us. :/

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 03:15:04

At 10/30/12 02:22 AM, Shauna wrote: If that's what your husband wants, you shouldn't stop him from his dreams. Give him a chance to do what he wants.

You didn't read the thread did you? He doesn't want to go either. He wants to re-enlist, but he doesn't want to spend 4 years in Japan. He's had friends get stationed there and kill themselves. Plus, he's been told what I've been told by Marines he's known for years and that have been stationed there so everything I stated isn't false.

People don't like change, I call those people ignorant. There's more to life than what you know, and yes, the bases are full of liars and cheaters, I simply just didn't talk to them. That's all I gotta say. Don't be so pessimistic, he will do things for you in return when you need it most.

I've left my bubble to live out here, I've traveled to different states, and I've gives certain things chances. I don't understand how if I tried it and hated it that makes me ignorant. My husband also likes our bubble, and he's been to Afghanistan and all over the world and he hates it.

BBS Signature

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 08:49:52

I wouldn't pass up the chance to live in another country for a while. There's nothing particularly bad about Japan either.

Response to Moving to Japan? 2012-10-30 08:59:34

At 10/30/12 08:49 AM, Jackho wrote: I wouldn't pass up the chance to live in another country for a while. There's nothing particularly bad about Japan either.

Disregard that, I suck cocks. The whole thing sounds pretty rubbish actually. You'll find racism everywhere so I wouldn't be bothered by that but paying out the ass for something you'll both hate is hardly worth it. Why is he even considering it if it'll be that shitty?