00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc12:October: Discussion

6,575 Views | 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-24 22:59:20

The sensation of light tickled my face. The beam felt warm and yellow and I supposed the time to be around six oâEUTMclock.

At 10/24/12 10:51 PM, Roxxar wrote: Wait, is there a writing contest for every month/holiday/event?

If so, if there is another October writing contest NEXT year, will it be horror still?

Ideally, there should be one every month, but the contests run purely on hobbyist effort, so it is difficult for all of us to donate free time. Before, there used to be Newgrounds-sponsored writing contest with cash prizes (for Robot Day, Halloween, Madness Day and Pico Day), and Writing Forum-sponsored writing contests with store-credit prizes (November, January, and March), but those have since been discontinued. Depending on the success of this contest, there may be bi-monthly (every other month) writing contests, or even monthly contests.

And yes, horror always has and always will be the theme of October writing contests.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-24 23:02:25

At 10/24/12 10:59 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: The sensation of light tickled my face. The beam felt warm and yellow and I supposed the time to be around six oâEUTMclock.

Well, gentlemen, you have been treated to a line from my story by accident. Also, WTF!?!?! I turned off AutoCorrect. Don't tell me I'm gonna have to take them all out individually. Argh!!!!!1!!!!!!11

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-25 08:37:07

At 10/24/12 11:02 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 10/24/12 10:59 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: The sensation of light tickled my face. The beam felt warm and yellow and I supposed the time to be around six oÃf¢EUTMclock.
Well, gentlemen, you have been treated to a line from my story by accident. Also, WTF!?!?! I turned off AutoCorrect. Don't tell me I'm gonna have to take them all out individually. Argh!!!!!1!!!!!!11

Curly apostrophe :P Find & Replace.

Also, you're weighing down your metaphor. Take out "The sensation of." I'm sure everyone who would read it knows what you mean. Also, describing the look (yellow) and feel (warm) really close out the metaphor. Pluuuuus, it saves you three words. You're welcome :)

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-25 21:09:56

At 10/25/12 08:37 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
Curly apostrophe :P Find & Replace.

Also, you're weighing down your metaphor. Take out "The sensation of." I'm sure everyone who would read it knows what you mean. Also, describing the look (yellow) and feel (warm) really close out the metaphor. Pluuuuus, it saves you three words. You're welcome :)

I figured it out; you have to disable "Replace as you type." Anyway, I'm actually pretty pleased with the progress of my story. It's about a blind guy. Naturally, I'm having some difficulty because all I know about blindness is what I read on Wikipedia and in a book I got at the library. I do have a lot of suspense in it, and hopefully I can cash it in.

I was playing with the thematic ideas of sensation vs. perception, and light vs. dark. Thanks for the advice, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-26 12:58:17

At 10/25/12 09:09 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I was playing with the thematic ideas of sensation vs. perception, and light vs. dark. Thanks for the advice, though.

I'll be working on mine this weekend. If you're done within the next couple of days, let me know so we can swap. I'd like to get my story in my Monday. Next week is going to be really busy for me. Gotta prepare for NaNoWriMo -___-

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-26 22:36:45

Going along with what the first commenter (Labraxadores) said, I don't want the money if I win. (Which is probably a 1 in 0 chance anyway) Donate it to a cancer research center or something.
Anyway, luck to everyone! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-27 04:29:48

At 10/26/12 10:36 PM, jennaskook wrote: Going along with what the first commenter (Labraxadores) said, I don't want the money if I win. (Which is probably a 1 in 0 chance anyway) Donate it to a cancer research center or something.
Anyway, luck to everyone! :D

That's pretty confident of you to say, because technically, a 1 in 0 chance of winning means your odds of winning are infinitely high :P

At 10/27/12 01:01 AM, Roxxar wrote: Alright, I'm going to drop out of this contest and wait another year. I need to read some stories for experience.

The best experience you can get is by actually trying to write something and getting feedback on it. I have a friend whom I keep asking to write a story, and he always says he's not good enough yet and is afraid he'd look really bad compared to all the other writers. But the trick is you'll never get good if you just keep waiting until you get better, because you won't improve until you write and so on.

This is what Newgrounds is all about. The inspirational thing about Newgrounds is that you could go visit a famous artist's profile and just see how bad their stuff looked when they were first starting out, and how it slowly became better and better. Like, I just came across Monkokio's profile, who is now making frikking awesome games on PS3 with thatgamecompany.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-29 02:01:51

I haven't submitted to an MWC in a long while, but I've enjoying popping into the Writing Forum from time-to-time to read through some contests and work-in-processes.

Anyway, I just submitted my entry - so I hope you guys will check it out and enjoy :)

Also, now that I've submitted, I can finally go read the other stories :D

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-29 12:11:52

At 10/29/12 02:01 AM, RapeMuffin wrote: I haven't submitted to an MWC in a long while, but I've enjoying popping into the Writing Forum from time-to-time to read through some contests and work-in-processes.

Anyway, I just submitted my entry - so I hope you guys will check it out and enjoy :)

Also, now that I've submitted, I can finally go read the other stories :D

Oooh, I'm excited you're in!

Last time I read a horror story you wrote I was scared shitless. It was one about this hacker and his girlfriend that turns out to be a robot..or does she? It was such a mindfuck.

Anyway I'm excited.

but also very scared

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 10:45:17

I may give this a shot. I do have an idea. Although a warning that I'm more of a dark fiction writer than a horror writer (I write bad things happening to people, as opposed to things that may scare or horrify people).

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 15:03:01

At 10/30/12 10:45 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: I may give this a shot. I do have an idea. Although a warning that I'm more of a dark fiction writer than a horror writer (I write bad things happening to people, as opposed to things that may scare or horrify people).

Good luck. Deadline is tomorrow. :)

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 16:23:11

At 10/30/12 03:03 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 10/30/12 10:45 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: I may give this a shot. I do have an idea. Although a warning that I'm more of a dark fiction writer than a horror writer (I write bad things happening to people, as opposed to things that may scare or horrify people).
Good luck. Deadline is tomorrow. :)

I actually didn't get any work in over the weekend. As usual, I will work on it today, tomorrow, and turn it in tomorrow. I have read all of the entries thus far (except RapeMuffin's four-poster).

And again, as usual, I think the best is yet to come (no offense; in previous entries, most of the best usually came near the end, but I was pleasantly surprised by many of the early entries). I think judges should all make time on Thursday and Friday to read and grade all the entries. Also, I think we should meet up on Saturday (via any option--pm if we have to. Any ideas?) . Can anyone not make it? We should have results posted by November 6, which is a Tuesday, by the latest. Of course that is just an ideal time frame.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 16:33:55

Sounds good to me. I've got everything except RapeMuffin read as well. I should be done with mine by tomorrow night and submitted. If you can, let's try to swap stories. I'm shooting for about 6K words. Preferably I'd like to have at least one beta reader before I submit it.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 17:13:26

Posted muh story. Not really 'scary' per se, but I think it would fit in the horror genre.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-30 18:07:44

At 10/29/12 12:11 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Last time I read a horror story you wrote I was scared shitless. It was one about this hacker and his girlfriend that turns out to be a robot..or does she? It was such a mindfuck.

Wow - you remember that? I'm glad you liked it!

Are you working on a submission for this contest, or are you going to be too wrapped up in running it this time around?

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 01:59:45

I still have ways to go, but if you need someone to look at your story, you know where to find me.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 08:52:33

Well, I've been unable to nudge the writer's block off, so I'll likely be unable to submit anything. I might give it a go when it's technically post-midnight GMT, but I get the feeling it'll be a shambles at best and just missed the deadline at worst.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 09:20:05

At 10/30/12 06:07 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: Wow - you remember that? I'm glad you liked it!

Are you working on a submission for this contest, or are you going to be too wrapped up in running it this time around?

I am actually working on a story which I'll try to submit tonight. It's a bit rushed, and I haven't written anything creative since the last MWC, so hopefully it'll get me back in the game even if it's not perfect.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 15:11:50

Welp! I just submitted my story. It's really annoying cuz the story itself doesn't really have any interesting plot or whatnot, but halfway in there I kept getting really good ideas. But meh, maybe next time!

Anyway, even though I'm not officially a judge, I'll be going through, reading all the stories and reviewing them. Sooo keep an eye out for that!

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 20:35:46

At 10/31/12 08:09 PM, Roxxar wrote: I posted my story. Can you guys give me opinions or something? I need some experience, whether my story was horror or not(it didn't feel horror to me)

Never uploaded my file to dropbox... -___-

Procrastination has destroyed me. I'll have to post it late.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 22:31:46

At 10/31/12 09:05 PM, Roxxar wrote:
At 10/31/12 08:35 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 10/31/12 08:09 PM, Roxxar wrote: I posted my story. Can you guys give me opinions or something? I need some experience, whether my story was horror or not(it didn't feel horror to me)
Never uploaded my file to dropbox... -___-

Procrastination has destroyed me. I'll have to post it late.
LOL. Umm...what is dropbox?

No worries you did it right. Dropbox is how I get my files between my office and home. No sync, no access from home.

It works out this way. I can put polish on it and try to submit it somewhere :)

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-10-31 22:39:00

I've read up to 4urentertainment's so far. Got some good stuff in there! I'm writing reviews as I go, I'll post em after I get through em all.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 01:33:42

DeftandEvil, I'd still like to read yours :D.

Looks like we have 12 entries. and about 23k words. This will be quite a bit to read.

Also, to RapeMuffin, Roxxar, Starwarsjunkie, and Depes7448, do you still want to keep your stories untitled?

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 03:35:05

So much wasted opportunity... Whatevs, man. I'm going to bed.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 06:41:06

I'l try to give some reviews soon. For now, the story that I liked more was Starwarsjunkie's ( I can call you SWJ, right?) one. While not being particularly original, it was definitely the most well written.

Don't talk about procrastination. I actually had a much longer plotline for my story, how the man lived that much, why Tommy was alive at the end, why he was burning, what the Klan was up to...
Ah well. I'l try to make something better next year. I'l surely keep the characters though.

Some may never live, but the crazy never die.

- Hunter S. Thompson

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 08:52:19

At 11/1/12 01:33 AM, EKublai wrote: DeftandEvil, I'd still like to read yours :D.

Looks like we have 12 entries. and about 23k words. This will be quite a bit to read.

Also, to RapeMuffin, Roxxar, Starwarsjunkie, and Depes7448, do you still want to keep your stories untitled?

Thinking of a title is always hard for me... but I guess "Reaper". Keep things simple.

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 12:30:32

At 11/1/12 01:33 AM, EKublai wrote: DeftandEvil, I'd still like to read yours :D.

I am just awful at thinking up titles, so I will leave my story untitled (unless someone here can think of an appropriate title?).

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 13:40:17

At 11/1/12 12:30 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: I am just awful at thinking up titles, so I will leave my story untitled (unless someone here can think of an appropriate title?).

What about "Pain Of The Living, Delight Of The Death"? Or something simple like "Infection"?

Some may never live, but the crazy never die.

- Hunter S. Thompson

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 16:30:34

At 11/1/12 06:41 AM, Labraxadores wrote: \

Don't talk about procrastination. I actually had a much longer plotline for my story, how the man lived that much, why Tommy was alive at the end, why he was burning, what the Klan was up to...
Ah well. I'l try to make something better next year. I'l surely keep the characters though.

"Obscured" was my work in progress title, not my final title; I left out the entire exposition for my story--the exposition developed the protagonist's fear of the dark, relationship to his mother, background to his blindness, and the fact that he was actually blind; I left out all references to Halloween except for 2, but those don't really have any significance in the plot line or setting; the final product was an untouched, unedited rough copy and about 500 words short of my original goal; I didn't even get to reedit it or get someone else to look at it (I posted at 11:59 pm).

... so I win. Ha ha! Ha ha. Ha ha...

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc12:October: Discussion 2012-11-01 18:38:57

At 11/1/12 01:40 PM, Labraxadores wrote:
At 11/1/12 12:30 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: I am just awful at thinking up titles, so I will leave my story untitled (unless someone here can think of an appropriate title?).
What about "Pain Of The Living, Delight Of The Death"? Or something simple like "Infection"?

I like keeping it simple - lets go with "Infection".

Thank you! :)

BBS Signature