00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best single player game ever played

6,458 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 20:54:07

PS2

Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3/4
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Shadow of the Colossus
The Thing
XIII

7th Gen(?)

Alan Wake
Batman: Arkham Asylum / Arkham City
Bioshock
The Darkness (sequel out soon)
Dead Space 1 & 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge

go, rejoice and revel in the goodness.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 20:56:46

At 1/19/12 08:18 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 1/19/12 10:49 AM, kiljoy96 wrote:
At 1/19/12 10:42 AM, Rallard wrote:
At 1/19/12 10:31 AM, kiljoy96 wrote: Assassin's Creed II is one of the best games I've ever played. If you don't have that, I very strongly recommend it.
OH GOD WHAT.

TODAY'S GENERATION I SWEAR. IM OUT PEACE
Alright, have fun playing games that you can't see are shitty because you're blinded by nostalgia.
What the hell happened to you? I swear you were anti everything modern a week ago.

I'm not just anti modern, I'm anti everything.
The majority of all games, modern and old, suck. The difference is that while people are generally accepting of new games sucking, they think old games that suck are actually great just because they grew up with them.
Or, you know, they are severely overrated.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 20:57:01

I doubt he would enjoy Dark Souls.

As fucking amazing as the game is, it requires the deft hands of a certain... breed of gamer to appreciate it's splendour.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 21:00:37

At 1/19/12 08:50 PM, Travis wrote:
At 1/19/12 08:04 PM, Freddythealien wrote:
At 1/19/12 12:47 PM, illuminate wrote: I can't believe I'll be the first to mention Final Fantasy 7.
THANK YOU!!!!
That's not answering the question though... (As much as I agree with FF7 being the best game ever)

The question was to list some good singleplayer games for Xbox 360.

Oh sorry.... Um, Bioshock? I liked it. especially the setting, But you have all heard this before havent you?

I Hereby post the blame on You

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 21:24:17

prolly conkers bad fur day

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 21:25:02

Resident Evil series( RE4 most notable )
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Fallout 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-19 21:41:41

oh wait Perfect dark is on 360...

And I forgot, another good single player was Borderlands.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 03:09:44

One of my all-time favorite single player games is an old PC game called Grim Fandango. It is a reasonably simple point-and-click neo-noir adventure game set in the Land of the Dead. The played character is Manuel "Manny" Calavera, a man stuck in a deadend job (pun intended) at the underworld travel agency, the DOD (Dead On Delivery).

If you're too young to play games with blood and gore, don't worry about it, most of the characters don't have flesh or skin.

Bad Wolf

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 08:57:04

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. Hands down... best game ever.
Well.. It's only good on the PC. The Xbox and PS2 ports sucked because they weren't made by the same company.

Other great single players are:
LA Noire
Final Fantasy 7
Fallout 3
The Godfather 1
Golden Eye 007
Metal Gear Solid series

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 09:28:41

Would either have to be Fallout 3 or Half Life.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 10:44:20

At 1/20/12 03:09 AM, Askling wrote: One of my all-time favorite single player games is an old PC game called Grim Fandango.

Oh yeah that's a classic game right there :D

Also sorry OP I didn't read thoroughly and notice you asked for 360 games. Back when I had a 360 I always use to play Skate. I spent many hours just goofing around in that game, so give it a shot if you haven't.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 11:02:22

I'm not just anti modern, I'm anti everything.
The majority of all games, modern and old, suck. The difference is that while people are generally accepting of new games sucking, they think old games that suck are actually great just because they grew up with them.
Or, you know, they are severely overrated.
You give no evidence to back up any of your claims.

To be honest, I think Killjoy is right in some way.. Zelda Oot. Not completely right though, I agree with Travis.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 14:50:10

Wasteland by EA for the Commodore C64. Best RPG ever made. Too bad it was never made into a regular PC game.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 15:52:46

At 1/20/12 11:02 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote: To be honest, I think Killjoy is right in some way.. Zelda Oot. Not completely right though, I agree with Travis.

Everyone rages on about Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I tried it, and quit 5 minutes later. Boring, with no atmosphere or excitement.

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 17:04:27

Well some of my favorite of this generation that are for the Xbox (I play PS3)

Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Batman Arkham Asylum
Portal 2
Borderlands (though it's best while playing co-op)
Mirrors Edge
Brutal Legend
Ghostbusters Video Game
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

All the mentioned games are farily outdated (except Skyrim) and easy to find for a nice price

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 17:07:11

At 1/20/12 03:52 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 1/20/12 11:02 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote: To be honest, I think Killjoy is right in some way.. Zelda Oot. Not completely right though, I agree with Travis.
Everyone rages on about Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I tried it, and quit 5 minutes later. Boring, with no atmosphere or excitement.

I'm not a fan of Zelda and didn't like OoT to be honest but you quit way too early, 5 minutes would barely even get you to the Deku tree, that's like playing Resident Evil 4 and quitting before you reach the village. Ocarina is one of those games that really does get better the more you play. You need to at the very least become adult Link before you can judge the game. Keep in mind that it's an old game though, and many love it out of pure nostalgia, don't expect it to literally be the best game you've ever played. Not even close.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 17:18:36

Sonic Adventure

Sonic generations

Mass effect 1 and 2

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 18:06:58

Its called GRAND THEFT AUTO !!

Are you blind ?

-

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 18:11:29

HALF LIFE!!!
AWESOME!!

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 18:13:47

At 1/20/12 10:40 AM, Travis wrote: I wish you were anti-forums so you would leave here already. You give no evidence to back up any of your claims and you really add nothing to any of the discussion... at all, other than being all bitter and annoying about everything. There were many great old games and a testament to that is the fact that they are still easy to pick up and play today. There are also many great games today, they are just overshadowed. Do us all a favor and grow up. (I expect some childish insult that I can ignore because you have no real points to defend yourself with)

This is the single most immature post I've read all day. Why do you follow me around and make crude insults? Does it give you some sort of joy in your psychotic mind to think that you have bested a 15 year old boy in the form of debate?

Where are your facts to back up your claims? You say there are many great old games and many great games today, yet you give no examples. Why is that, exactly?

You tell me to grow up, yet you are the first to throw insults. Could you tell me, Mr. Travis, why that is? Surely a mature adult, such as yourself, would think it to be childish of himself to be condescending and berating to one that is younger than he.

Now, Travis, would you like my points as to why I think the majority of games suck, or were you just using that as an excuse to be unnecessarily rude?

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 18:28:50

At 1/20/12 06:11 PM, naronic wrote: HALF LIFE!!!
AWESOME!!

A game from 1995 ??? lolllll

-

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 18:30:20

AWESOME!!

I sorta agree. I can see why it's revolutionary.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-20 22:52:12

At 1/20/12 06:28 PM, Sepultura123 wrote:
AWESOME!!
A game from 1995 ??? lolllll

Through_the_facepalm.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-22 07:22:54

Its too hard to decide my absolute favorite but here are ones I enjoyed in no particular order:

Half Life 1 and 2 - I can't describe why I like the Half Life games, they are just really fun I guess. The level designs and gameplay is just so right and despite not having realistic graphics or shooting it still beats any COD game in my opinion (I'm not anti-COD by the way.)

KOTOR - Granted its beginning to age the storyline of this game was excellent and the game was pretty great in nearly every area.

Planescape: Torment - Granted the game has aged a lot and the gameplay and combat is pretty shoddy the storyline, dialog, characters and universe is just excellent.

Without spoiling anything I'll just say its one of those games that the ending feels genuinely epic and once you've finished it you have a lot to think about and you actually feel sad that its over.

Dragon Age: Origins - Most aspects of the game were really great. I really enjoyed DA:O and I especially like how for the type of Rpg it is it still had satisfying and strategic combat unlike a lot of its predecessors.

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 16:17:46

At 1/20/12 05:24 PM, Travis wrote:
At 1/20/12 05:18 PM, II2none wrote: Sonic Adventure

Sonic generations
I knew you were going to say this as soon as I saw your username.

Don't ever try to deny that you are a Sonic fanboy ever again.

We must have different definitions for what a "fanboy" is. The way I see it a fanboy is someone who treats they're opinion as fact in terms of game quality always being perfect. Also excuse me for being infatuated with a franchise you hate.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 19:38:44

Well, a lot of my favorite multiplayer games also have my favorite solo campaigns, so I'll just list games that are solo only with one exception cuz of lackluster multiplayer in one case, despite awesome solo mode.

Dragon's Lair (1983)
the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Escape From Monkey Island
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
God of War
God of War 2
Half Life 2 (I don't have Steam and I've never played multiplayer, so I'm counting it)
Heart of Darkness
the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
the Mark of Kri
Mischief Makers
Psychonauts
Red Dead Redemption (I don't have live so I'm counting it)
Rise of the Kasai
Saints Row: the Third (again, no Live, also it's better than any GTA game that's been made)
Shinobi 3
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (this is the exception)

At 1/20/12 06:28 PM, Sepultura123 wrote: A game from 1995 ??? lolllll

'cause old automatically equals bad. Some of the best games came from the '90s.

At 1/24/12 04:17 PM, II2none wrote: We must have different definitions for what a "fanboy" is.

Have you played that fan-made HD remake of Sonic 2? It looks sick, but I don't know how to get a copy. It looks way better than the HD remake for the XBL marketplace. all kinds of stuff going on in the background.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 21:56:48

At 1/24/12 07:38 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

At 1/24/12 04:17 PM, II2none wrote: We must have different definitions for what a "fanboy" is.
Have you played that fan-made HD remake of Sonic 2? It looks sick, but I don't know how to get a copy. It looks way better than the HD remake for the XBL marketplace. all kinds of stuff going on in the background.

No and according to the you tube comments it hasn't even been released yet. It does look cool though.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 23:42:48

Baldurs Gate II.

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 23:46:05

Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

If that doesn't count, I loved the Legend of Spyro trilogy.

Does flaming still exist? If so, I've activated my flame shield.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Best single player game ever played 2012-01-24 23:57:44

At 1/24/12 11:46 PM, Chdonga wrote: Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

If that doesn't count, I loved the Legend of Spyro trilogy.

Does flaming still exist? If so, I've activated my flame shield.

I loved the first two the third one was so half assed and stale. I beat it but it was such a chore unlike the first two. Then Activision makes this Skylanders bullshit and completely destroy classic spyro's image.....I'm not judging I'm just being somewhat of a nostalgia whore

QOTW:

BBS Signature