00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team

25,994 Views | 353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 00:44:23

Hi, it looks like I'll be joining on as the music composer. Glad to be a part of this, SNES Super Metroid was (and still is) one of my favorite games of all time.

-Tyler

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 03:49:27

At 3 hours ago, tylerjohnson wrote: Hi, it looks like I'll be joining on as the music composer. Glad to be a part of this, SNES Super Metroid was (and still is) one of my favorite games of all time.

-Tyler

Hi, cool beans. Im Raz, one of the designers, I am designing the Samus-ness.. at the moment..

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 11:52:52

Here is a font I made, as discussed with DW..

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bfe5d9948154d4fdb6cc1544 8dc03966

If you want to use it, it doesnt have to be like the normal alphabet, you can swizzle the letters around or whatever you like. Chozo text anyone??

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 12:58:48

bye

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 13:11:04

At 1 hour ago, Raziel236 wrote: Here is a font I made, as discussed with DW..

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bfe5d9948154d4fdb6cc1544 8dc03966

If you want to use it, it doesnt have to be like the normal alphabet, you can swizzle the letters around or whatever you like. Chozo text anyone??

hmm when you said that it was an alien font i thought that it was like... alien style letters... because i need letters and numbers and these symbols we cannot understand and read, but we can find another use to them... send me the file when you get it ready.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-18 13:32:38

Well they kind of are.. like I said you can rotate the letters or whatever, and use them in a different order from the real words, to make the text unrecognisable. Im sure not all the letters and the other characters are not too obvious. But whatever man, I mean you dont need to use it at all. But if you still want the font I will send it to you via email yes.

hmm when you said that it was an alien font i thought that it was like... alien style letters... because i need letters and numbers and these symbols we cannot understand and read, but we can find another use to them... send me the file when you get it ready.

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-19 06:58:21

Hey guys, check a new news post I just made on my profile, regarding this project. Comment! DW feel free to contradict anything I said on there.. also, Ive started making videos about the project on my youtube, I hope you dont mind? Ive only uploaded the intro I made so far, and I was going to make a vid just explaining about the project. I thought maybe I could give people sneak peaks of different aspects of the work later on. Get in touch about it.

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-19 22:24:40

At 15 hours ago, Raziel236 wrote: Hey guys, check a new news post I just made on my profile, regarding this project. Comment! DW feel free to contradict anything I said on there.. also, Ive started making videos about the project on my youtube, I hope you dont mind? Ive only uploaded the intro I made so far, and I was going to make a vid just explaining about the project. I thought maybe I could give people sneak peaks of different aspects of the work later on. Get in touch about it.

Hey Raz i already commented and i dont contradict anything from there, i agree with you. About the youtube videos, could you send me the link to them ? i didn't plan to release any video about the game right now, but i dont mind you already made it, good work man. I think we might release our first demo in a few time(some months) when the first environment is ready and some monsters finished as well as the two suits. You could upload the video on your youtube profile. I will ask tyler to make a mighty music for the demo, the guy is fast and realy good at composing as you guys have already noticed. Also if any of you guys know anyone who can make good SFX sound effects and is interested to work with us you can tell me about. I will check if Tyler or Android-Music can do the sound effects, but i think Adroid-Music already got enough tasks by now ( he is making the scenario and the monsters) so i think he is busy a lot.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 00:24:35

Hey Raz i already commented and i dont contradict anything from there, i agree with you. About the youtube videos, could you send me the link to them ? i didn't plan to release any video about the game right now, but i dont mind you already made it, good work man. I think we might release our first demo in a few time(some months) when the first environment is ready and some monsters finished as well as the two suits. You could upload the video on your youtube profile. I will ask tyler to make a mighty music for the demo, the guy is fast and realy good at composing as you guys have already noticed. Also if any of you guys know anyone who can make good SFX sound effects and is interested to work with us you can tell me about. I will check if Tyler or Android-Music can do the sound effects, but i think Adroid-Music already got enough tasks by now ( he is making the scenario and the monsters) so i think he is busy a lot.

Cool thanks. Yes of course, like I said I have only uploaded the one so far, the intro. I didnt want to make many more yet or give away much, and I wanted to discuss it with you throughout. Like I said also I am pretty sure my mate can make sfx, I just need to get in touch with him, so bare with me.. So Adroid has taken over from BM? Also, I might as well tell you this now, it takes a while to make substantial progress for me to show you, as I am working on multiple and intricate things, and I am not always working on them. Just be assured that I am doing it and I will show you things when I can.. Anyway, here is the link to the vid I have so far.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhkOWQlMN8&feature=player_pr ofilepage although you have seen it already.

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 03:34:58

Hey man, I do sprites and tiles for 8 and 16bit games and I'm a massive fan of Metroid, so if you'd want me to do the scenery and help write scenarios I'd be more than happy, I'd also love to do the new Samus model and maybe some concept art for enemies! I've even attatched a (mainly unfinished) tileset, if you'd like the images seperately you'll have to PM me and I'll add you on skype! I also do many other art styles too so if you're wanting more cartoony or just something more similar to a specific Metroid just ask! Hope I can help! :D

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 09:38:29

At 5 hours ago, BraveWorks wrote: Hey man, I do sprites and tiles for 8 and 16bit games and I'm a massive fan of Metroid, so if you'd want me to do the scenery and help write scenarios I'd be more than happy, I'd also love to do the new Samus model and maybe some concept art for enemies! I've even attatched a (mainly unfinished) tileset, if you'd like the images seperately you'll have to PM me and I'll add you on skype! I also do many other art styles too so if you're wanting more cartoony or just something more similar to a specific Metroid just ask! Hope I can help! :D

hmm... sorry man, but we have these roles already filled. I liked your motivation but this game is more than 16bits and as i said there is no vacancy for many of these roles, Unless you want to make just concept art. I am not sure right now if i can or not put you in the Team, i also have to see what you can do and see a lot more of your work.

Raziel, Android has replaced BM, he is now making the scenarios and monsters.... About your friend as i already said you could send me his skype or facebook. I saw the video, i remembered that you already made one like this and in my opinion the Red "Unleashed" logo is better than orange, but we can discuss it and ask the opinion of the guys.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 12:26:34

Raziel, Android has replaced BM, he is now making the scenarios and monsters.... About your friend as i already said you could send me his skype or facebook. I saw the video, i remembered that you already made one like this and in my opinion the Red "Unleashed" logo is better than orange, but we can discuss it and ask the opinion of the guys.

Ok cool. Yeh im trying to get in touch with him.. Orange?? I never made an orange one..but its too late to change it now anyway.. I will upload Varia Suit V1 later on...

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 12:58:14

At 28 minutes ago, Raziel236 wrote:
Ok cool. Yeh im trying to get in touch with him.. Orange?? I never made an orange one..but its too late to change it now anyway.. I will upload Varia Suit V1 later on...

I think that color is orange... but anyway if you like it just let it be as it is, good. Oh yeah man i am anxious to see it xD. I am working on the game right now.... i woke up today and played a little of God of War to relax my mind and then i am programing since 11AM .

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 13:46:50

Good stuff.

Here is the Varia suit prelim design. I just went mad on this one and really used my imagination which was really fun, and I am pleased with the result. I may change some things myself though, and of course feel free to ask for changes yourself or whatever.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a76c0b7d4e4325673309b50f c14c3dbf

Cheers

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 14:07:29

At 15 minutes ago, Raziel236 wrote: Good stuff.

Here is the Varia suit prelim design. I just went mad on this one and really used my imagination which was really fun, and I am pleased with the result. I may change some things myself though, and of course feel free to ask for changes yourself or whatever.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a76c0b7d4e4325673309b50f c14c3dbf

Cheers

Man, i realy liked the suit (the colors not) i realy liked the armcannon, but... You know, the fusion suit you did is a little different from the original, but this Varia suit is too different. I will prepare some intructions file to ya using this suit you did as a reference.... you will have to modify 90% of it, sorry. you know that i dont like to anooy you asking for you to modify and make changes and the stuff, but it is needed...so forgive me.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-20 17:11:08

Hey guys, i got an idea to improve the game, but i want your opinion about it. My idea is that we could make some parts of the game more zoomed and others distanced.... i saw this feature on some games here on newgrounds, i think that madness accelerant has it. what you guys think about it ? is it good or not ?

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 05:51:44

At 12 hours ago, DarkWalkerUnleashed wrote: Hey guys, i got an idea to improve the game, but i want your opinion about it. My idea is that we could make some parts of the game more zoomed and others distanced.... i saw this feature on some games here on newgrounds, i think that madness accelerant has it. what you guys think about it ? is it good or not ?

I think it would be easy to overdo this effect and make it rubbish. I think it could be a good idea though. Maybe just for dramatic moments, such as important parts of dialogue, or boss entrances etc... I dunno, how about a small zoom when you charge up a charge shot?? hmm..

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 09:13:28

At 3 hours ago, Raziel236 wrote:
At 12 hours ago, DarkWalkerUnleashed wrote: Hey guys, i got an idea to improve the game, but i want your opinion about it. My idea is that we could make some parts of the game more zoomed and others distanced.... i saw this feature on some games here on newgrounds, i think that madness accelerant has it. what you guys think about it ? is it good or not ?
I think it would be easy to overdo this effect and make it rubbish. I think it could be a good idea though. Maybe just for dramatic moments, such as important parts of dialogue, or boss entrances etc... I dunno, how about a small zoom when you charge up a charge shot?? hmm..

Yeah, it is a good idea xD. But what i have in mind is to make this zoom feature for some especific areas when the strategy of the player must be different. But your idea is realy good.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 12:09:44

Hey guys, I've been told to do the skree as a tester for my future inclusion of this awesome project, so here it is, it's only 32 by 32 (pixels )so I'll probably have to do a 64 by 64 (pixels) if it's not upto standards and I'm up for any criticism and up for any ideas for the colour scheme and such, cheers! :D

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 16:16:02

At 4 hours ago, BraveWorks wrote: Hey guys, I've been told to do the skree as a tester for my future inclusion of this awesome project, so here it is, it's only 32 by 32 (pixels )so I'll probably have to do a 64 by 64 (pixels) if it's not upto standards and I'm up for any criticism and up for any ideas for the colour scheme and such, cheers! :D

Im pretty sure just by looking at it thats not 32 by 32, unless theres some hideous optical illusion there.. I would suggest doing a bigger one now, and put some shading on it. But I dont think anyones counting pixels.. twice the size maybe should do..

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 18:01:22

At 1 hour ago, Raziel236 wrote:
At 4 hours ago, BraveWorks wrote: Hey guys, I've been told to do the skree as a tester for my future inclusion of this awesome project, so here it is, it's only 32 by 32 (pixels )so I'll probably have to do a 64 by 64 (pixels) if it's not upto standards and I'm up for any criticism and up for any ideas for the colour scheme and such, cheers! :D
Im pretty sure just by looking at it thats not 32 by 32, unless theres some hideous optical illusion there.. I would suggest doing a bigger one now, and put some shading on it. But I dont think anyones counting pixels.. twice the size maybe should do..

As Raziel said you will have to do it much better and nobody is counting pixels here. Also in my opinion i think you should at least triple the pixels, add more details and shading. if you wanna a way to guide yourself better just give a look at the Fusion suit that Raziel did. Here is the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4a2ed28e1af90b92762cdcaa f9559853

Also, try on doing the enhanced Metal armored Skrees, their name is Skree, the green one is named Shrikebat.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-21 23:10:13

Hey guys, im making many progress, i have already adjusted and improved many codes. I gave myself a dealine to give you guys a demo but maybe i wont be able to finish it tomorrow. I was making adjustments on the Run feature and the SpeedBooster feature, i improved the ground again, improved camera codes (though the second room has bad vertical cameras because i got lazy to adjust that but in the real game it will be perfect) I finished the third room today. I would like to add torizo to the game but that is not needed, not needed to program it now unless we are going to have Torizos in thee game and the redesigned Torizo, we already have missiles! xD working cool but i will give some final touches on it tomorrow... i mean... today because here on my time is already "tomorrow" 00:06 AM. I think the game will be a lot different from the last Demo i showed you guys. As requested from Android-Music i will raise the PFS but not on this demo because when i make this i will have to re adjust many things, but i have already attempted for one of his askings, i decreased the spot sigh of the monsters. I will let BlackMist's designs on the game until the new version is made ( Side Hooper and Sciser). I will sleep now

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-22 07:20:55

Good stuff.

I dont know about the other guys, but a demo right now is not important to me, we all have our own stuff to do and i think we should concentrate on the bigger picture. Besides, if the demo wont even represent the final product, whats the point?..

If you are raising the FPS, doesnt that mean you will need more frames in the cycles?...

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-22 09:15:59

At 1 hour ago, Raziel236 wrote: Good stuff.

I dont know about the other guys, but a demo right now is not important to me, we all have our own stuff to do and i think we should concentrate on the bigger picture. Besides, if the demo wont even represent the final product, whats the point?..

If you are raising the FPS, doesnt that mean you will need more frames in the cycles?...

The demo is just for you guys to see, nobody out of the Team will see it. I want to show you guys my progress as i like to see your progress, i would also like to receive your opinion about it, and i promised to Android-Music i would show him a Demo. And no it wont be needed to change the frames in cycles because i can make with the frames what i did with many in this game, i doubled or tripled each frame in the cycle to make it fit the correct time on the animation. The game will get more accurate by rasing the FPS and i will be able to make a better SpeedBooster animation cause the current SpeedBooster animation is just the colors, the animation is the same as the walking animation but the problem is that they have the same speed to play and i must make the walking slow and the SpeedBooster fast.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-22 09:18:33

As i said, Raziel, we will keep using the same number of frames in the cycles as the cycles of Super Metroid. I think i sent you a sprite sheet as reference for each positon of the cycles and their respective number of frames, right ?

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-23 21:24:29

So guys, here is the Demo: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b01a347b0f59423d23f5efcc d390b93f
Press SHIFT to activate the missiles when you get it.

I didn't have much time to improve things... i wanted you guys to see it already.... There are many bugs to fix and improvements to do, on the cameras too.... I Hope you guys still like it. As i said to Raziel i had to remake many codes so thats why it looks that much things didn't change from the last demo. Comments please xD. Also, make sure that there are no enemies around or near you before taking an Item or the game will crash. Download the game to play it and use full screen.

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-23 22:26:33

Awesome, it's coming along nicely! I'm working on some original music for the game as well as some remixed classics from the original SNES version, can't wait to see this project come into bloom!

-Tyler

At 1 hour ago, DarkWalkerUnleashed wrote: So guys, here is the Demo: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b01a347b0f59423d23f5efcc d390b93f
Press SHIFT to activate the missiles when you get it.

I didn't have much time to improve things... i wanted you guys to see it already.... There are many bugs to fix and improvements to do, on the cameras too.... I Hope you guys still like it. As i said to Raziel i had to remake many codes so thats why it looks that much things didn't change from the last demo. Comments please xD. Also, make sure that there are no enemies around or near you before taking an Item or the game will crash. Download the game to play it and use full screen.

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-24 03:20:58

DarkWalker, the demo is nice! I'll not talk about things you need to improve cause you know those bugs better, only thing I can suggest you right now is to google "flash vcam as 2.0" , that will ease your pain with cameras a bit.
Awesome job! ;)

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-24 12:04:30

Thank you guys! xD . Okay Tyler. Thanks for the hint Android, i forget that it existed, i will sure google it and learn how to use... i the time i was learning AS2 i saw about it but i got lazy to learn how to use it. I will google and see what i can do. Though those cameras are realy hard to handle... they are based on Samus's "Speed" "Falling" and "Jump" variables ...

Lets Rock!

Response to Metroid Unleashed - Join the Team 2012-02-24 12:26:55

At 8 hours ago, Android-Music wrote: DarkWalker, the demo is nice! I'll not talk about things you need to improve cause you know those bugs better, only thing I can suggest you right now is to google "flash vcam as 2.0" , that will ease your pain with cameras a bit.
Awesome job! ;)

As you suggested, i googled it and it is realy a good way to make it, however it is always seeking the Player... i figured it out the same time i saw it, good idea who has ever thought it.... If you Play Super Metroid the camera is not always following the player, mostly on closed rooms, so i will have to make some improvements on the original Vcam Codes xD. Thank you man.
I had improved the Hud Codes to stay stablished at one position of the screen... i will have to change it in order to work with the new camera engine.

Lets Rock!