00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How come nobody votes?

2,472 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 16:14:19

Seriously, all it takes is one click. I've never understood why people find it so difficult.

uwu

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 16:21:43

Because in the AP, people do not get XP for voting.

I honestly have NO CLUE why they didn't enable this, it surely would boost voting and make the impact of abusive downvotes less noticable.

Imo it would be a nice improvement.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 16:23:56

People vote all the time. Usually it's zeros. :P

X Sentinel & GirlStep - Obelisk <-- please take a listen! :3

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 17:07:38

At 7/17/11 04:21 PM, Kr1z wrote: Because in the AP, people do not get XP for voting.

I honestly have NO CLUE why they didn't enable this, it surely would boost voting and make the impact of abusive downvotes less noticable.

this guy has it pretty much down to a key
if voteing in the ap counted id be 10 lvls higher by now

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 17:09:23

At 7/17/11 04:14 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: Seriously, all it takes is one dick.

Wow I read your first sentence like that^.

...Anyhow, the way I see it, usually the people who vote are either people who liked your track and therefore 5'd it, were 0-bombers and therefore 0'd it, or reviewed it and voted on it fairly, but since you get no experience from voting on Audio submissions, it's really no surprise that Audio submissions get little votes.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 17:17:41

At 7/17/11 04:21 PM, Kr1z wrote: Imo it would be a nice improvement.

maybe it's in the redesign?(i honestly am hoping for it to be in the next few weeks.)

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 18:25:31

At 7/17/11 04:21 PM, Kr1z wrote: Because in the AP, people do not get XP for voting.

Second!
I'd like the exact same system on audio like they made on flash. Including blamming and easier reporting of stolen material.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 18:33:29

I think quite often it can be black and white, other times it's not that simple.

Sometimes if people don't like a track they just move onto the next one, which I think is fair enough because if you don't like something, your vote is already going to be biased and unfair, so having the choice to leave it alone I guess would be the right one.

I think it's better for people to have the choice to walk away without voting, rather than them having to vote and their vote being bias in a bad way. You can't force people to listen to your music after all, and it's up to the listener if they want to vote or not.

I also believe you have to have some degree of interest in a track to be able to vote fairly enough, which again is biased because if you like something you arn't going to vote low on it, unless it's done out of jealousy and spite.

And of course you will always get the people that see a final score and want to alter it, for example if a song has had 50 votes and has a total score of 4.5 and they think it's only worth a 4, the're going to vote zero to make that more of a reality.

If anyone can make sense out of what I just wrote, I salute you!

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 18:49:44

At 7/17/11 05:09 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 7/17/11 04:14 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: Seriously, all it takes is one dick.

Actually, That's also true! Without people voting, all it takes is one dick to change your score from a 4.43 to a 2.3!

uwu

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 19:52:47

Here's a good question:

Why is it that when two Audio artists collab, the only way to credit it is by putting it in the link deccription. Would it really be all that hard to make a Audio submit forum for collabs?

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 20:00:45

At 7/17/11 06:33 PM, Nitrocore wrote: if you don't like something, your vote is already going to be biased and unfair, so having the choice to leave it alone I guess would be the right one.

Voting a 1 on a track that you think deserves a 1 is completely fair. It's biased, but it's a bias that you came up with on your own. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I'd much rather know that what I'm doing is bad than not know. That way, I can improve myself. I do wish that people who vote 2 or lower would leave a review saying why, though.

uwu

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 21:23:52

At 7/17/11 08:00 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: I do wish that people who vote 2 or lower would leave a review saying why, though.

I like this idea a LOT.

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 21:28:08

At 7/17/11 04:14 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: Seriously, all it takes is one click. I've never understood why people find it so difficult.

TL;DR

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 21:29:19

I haven't been here for long, but I did notice that voting was something people stayed away from. I notice, too, that a lot of people give ratings but don't leave reviews. Maybe that ties in with the lack of voting. Like others here said, they'll either leave a 5, a 0, or just move on. But then when you vote, sometimes you feel the obligation to leave a few words in response.

But yeah, if voting could help a user gain XP, it would really be a firestorm of results. A good and somewhat bad thing, ya know?

*insert industrial song about this signature*

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-17 22:24:04

I never vote, I just leave useless reviews, go me!

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 00:30:45

At 7/17/11 09:23 PM, GirlStep wrote:
At 7/17/11 08:00 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: I do wish that people who vote 2 or lower would leave a review saying why, though.
I like this idea a LOT.

I believe I left a post in the "zerovoting and exposure" thread. it was a suggestion that people who vote 0-2 should be forced to review saying what they think is wrong with the song, otherwise the vote would not count. Anyone wants to read? Here be the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9199 86/23
The post should be down the bottom unless someone wants to bump the topic.

- If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot.

- Being organised is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 01:26:55

At 7/18/11 01:25 AM, Chemich wrote: Figured this out one time when I submitted a song during peak time and one of my songs had 0 votes one minute, and over 50 0 votes the next.

Maybe people just *really* hate your music :P

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 01:45:34

At 7/17/11 05:09 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:

a side effect of Newgrounds.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 02:23:26

well since the self-voting was enabled with the famous redesign, whole vote system lost it's point... all you can find as highest rated songs in genres are self-whored... I mean self-voted songs that usually are very shitty and it's very hard to find really good songs under this big pile of shit... I still support the idea of disabling the 0-5 voting system and base score of songs only by 0-10 score in reviews, but more likely, I lost my energy to give a f*** completely...

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 02:51:33

At 7/18/11 01:57 AM, gobamnit wrote:
At 7/17/11 04:14 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: Seriously, all it takes is one click. I've never understood why people find it so difficult.
Right? When I first started posting here reviews and votes were a lot more plentiful... I vote, and review occasionally but not enough to expect others to vote/review my tracks. I've been trying to set aside time to do just that- but I'm lazy and workillsoul and all that jazz.

What's with all the dl's though? Download's outnumber votes on a lot of the tracks here.

Its probably people with iPhones. You can browse the AP with an iPhone, but you have to click on Download to do it. I wish people knew that the iphone has no bass, which can make a mediocre song horrible.

uwu

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 04:10:41

I don't vote because I don't wanna ruin your already shitty ratio xD no hard feelings

BBS Signature

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 05:04:41

I think they should have a list on the side and whenever someone votes their name comes up on the side and showing what they voted, then if someone keeps 0 bombing then you can report them for zero bombing :D It'd save my life, i get 0 bombed ALLL the fucking time! It's the most depressing thing to see a song you worked so hard on go from 4.5 to 3 in no time at all, it's just not fair! And Tom needs to do something about it

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 06:25:44

I think it would be simpler to incorperate the voting and reviewing system into one single thing. When you leave a review, the average star rating is what determines the score. This would force more people to write reviews, and limit the ability to 0-bomb and 5-bomb (at least without some effort.)

I know some people will say "This will only lead to more people leaving poor quality, one word reviews, or using the review area to spam while just voting 0 or 5." To you people I remind you that simple reviews are generally frowned upon or dismissed under the current system anyway, and spamming is why there the "Abusive Review" button was implemented.

bork bork bork

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 06:37:22

Hm, well I read through this thread and can see now that it's not as simple as I thought. My first reaction was "do it like in flash portal". But that might make people who don't like the style they hear instantly hit the zero. I read here that you can't judge a genre you don't like, which I find true to a certain point. If I hear a hip hop song (don't like it) which has a decent beat and a good voice (can't judge rapping, rhymes or flow or whatever), I don't vote on it, but if it sounds like crap, it sounds like crap and it gets a low score! No matter if I like hip hop or not.

I don't like the idea to show folks' usernames with what they voted, that seems kind of undemocratic. Also, users should not be allowed to vote on their own songs. If I see a new entry with 2 listens and a 5 score that just pisses me off and I have to force myself not to click on 0 right away.

I think it's a not too bad idea two force people with a 0-2 score to a review. But then: Sometimes I really hate a song, but don't exactly know why. I'm pretty sure, you know what I mean. I only write reviews if I have something to say about what I hear, I don't want to be forced to do so.

So the last option: Only reviews, no votes. I think this might be the best solution. Now the downside is that audio would get even less voted than it is by now, but maybe that could be contered by giving special benefits to users who write lots of "helpful" reviews. Their score could have a greater impact on the total outcome.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 07:59:43

At 7/18/11 06:37 AM, JPRixdorfer wrote: So the last option: Only reviews, no votes. I think this might be the best solution. Now the downside is that audio would get even less voted than it is by now, but maybe that could be contered by giving special benefits to users who write lots of "helpful" reviews. Their score could have a greater impact on the total outcome.

No, definetly don't do that, I think that the most obvious, basic thing to do would be to give XP for voting on audio submissions, that way, 0 bombers won't have as big as an impact, and more people would go onto the audio portal, because I don't understand how the flash portal can have movies with 10,000,000+ views and the audio portal can only get 5,000 listens! This website has the potential to be massive with music, but because everything on the homepage is flooded with flash portal shit and audio only get's 4 songs put on the homepage, which IMO is stupid. Another annoying ass thing is that people can get away with stealing songs on newgrounds because of how unpopular the audio portal is! Basically the voting in the audio portal sucks dick, it needs more attention & should advertised WAY more on the home page, home page should be half audio & half flash, and of course the art, but I don't really look at the art.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 08:35:35

At 7/18/11 07:59 AM, DJHeat wrote:
No, definetly don't do that, I think that the most obvious, basic thing to do would be to give XP for voting on audio submissions, that way, 0 bombers won't have as big as an impact, and more people would go onto the audio portal, because I don't understand how the flash portal can have movies with 10,000,000+ views and the audio portal can only get 5,000 listens! This website has the potential to be massive with music, but because everything on the homepage is flooded with flash portal shit and audio only get's 4 songs put on the homepage, which IMO is stupid. Another annoying ass thing is that people can get away with stealing songs on newgrounds because of how unpopular the audio portal is! Basically the voting in the audio portal sucks dick, it needs more attention & should advertised WAY more on the home page, home page should be half audio & half flash, and of course the art, but I don't really look at the art.

So what you're saying is that my first thought was the best one? Well, fine by me! I just looked at the newgrounds mainpage, which I hardly ever did before and have to agree that audio is really underrepresented. This could indeed be an awesome place for music seeing that everything submitted is automatically with a CC license. But you have to search to even find it on the mainpage. Even art is easier to find.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 08:50:33

At 7/18/11 08:35 AM, JPRixdorfer wrote: So what you're saying is that my first thought was the best one? Well, fine by me! I just looked at the newgrounds mainpage, which I hardly ever did before and have to agree that audio is really underrepresented. This could indeed be an awesome place for music seeing that everything submitted is automatically with a CC license. But you have to search to even find it on the mainpage. Even art is easier to find.

Also another thing I hate is the first time you post a song onto newgrounds, it gives a description of why music is important and it says "Flash authors are always on the look out for new music to use in their games and movies" and that pisses me off so much, I didn't join newgrounds to get my song on a shitty game or movie, i joined to get known, get signed! I thought this would be a great place to advertise my music but now i'm contemplating whether it was such a good idea, I already know 1 person that was about to give up because of the amount of 0 bombers, he is GrayZ and he makes amazing music, but 0 bombers go on his page SOOOO MUCH! (Mind you they go on mine to) and he even made a song called "My last song ever", I think that if we don't do something to stop zero bombers everyone is fucked unless you're like xKore or NIGHTkilla and are so famous that 0 bombers don't make an impact!

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 08:56:14

At 7/18/11 08:50 AM, DJHeat wrote: I didn't join newgrounds to get my song on a shitty game or movie, i joined to get known, get signed! I thought this would be a great place to advertise my music but now i'm contemplating whether it was such a good idea,

Fame is the last reason you should partake in the audio section of Newgrounds, and is definetly the last place fame is recognized by labels/world. All you should seek here is feedback from some honest people, and even that is hard to come by lol. Yes the system doesnt work, but you are expecting too much from it either way.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 09:00:19

At 7/18/11 08:56 AM, jpbear wrote:
At 7/18/11 08:50 AM, DJHeat wrote: I didn't join newgrounds to get my song on a shitty game or movie, i joined to get known, get signed! I thought this would be a great place to advertise my music but now i'm contemplating whether it was such a good idea,
Fame is the last reason you should partake in the audio section of Newgrounds, and is definetly the last place fame is recognized by labels/world. All you should seek here is feedback from some honest people, and even that is hard to come by lol. Yes the system doesnt work, but you are expecting too much from it either way.

That's exactly why i've started posting on the forums and getting involved with the newgrounds community, I know I realised I was expecting too much after a month of bieng on NG.

Response to How come nobody votes? 2011-07-18 09:03:13

I know what you mean. Most of my songs' voting history goes something like 4.00 / 4.57 / 4.31 / 2,64 - WTF?! But I don't take this too seriously. I think you just have to stay active to get peoples' attention. If you're good it will pay of. If it won't pay off submitting here, I'll just leave this place, but without making too big a commotion. I'll just be gone.
I can say that this account brought me some youtube subscriptions, despite the low scorings of my music. Plus i can put direct download links for the mp3s into my youtube video descriptions.
I know there are other ways to do that. It's just that this site here ist the first one I uploaded my stuff at apart from youtube.
But when I say that I don't take it too seriously it doesn't mean, I wouldn't want to have it improved. More votes and more attention would be great!