00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlexoStripes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,300 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 13:58:02

At 6/1/11 10:25 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I Choose Option #2

Alright. I'm still not convinced, but that's just because of my hard-headed...ness.

Also send me a message if/when you want me to help give this thing some exposure (PM's, newsposts, more PM's, etc...).

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 16:35:12

I'm in for Hardcore or Chill.

Rhythm Bastard Experiment: Alternative Laptop Punk

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 16:39:42

I say go with option #2.

Sure...it would be more work for the judges, but the albums could end up being better than if we went with option #1 seeing as some of the more talented artists could screw up. Plus, this gives everyone a chance to participate regardless of skill level.

Check me out on: Soundcloud l Twitter | Facebook

Newest song: GHOSTS

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 17:00:27

I say #2, it's more work for the artists, but less work for the judges.
Well I've got plenty songs that need only finishing touches, that I've been saving for my own album, but I think I can spare a song :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 17:54:38

I'm in for the Jazz/Classical album, and am in accord with #2.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 18:49:33

I'm def down for the Upbeat album and I vote #2.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 20:33:11

I'm in for the dance/trance album... not that claiming a spot does anything for me :P

The proof is in the pudding... the pudding of my music.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 20:34:50

Option #2; i've been planning to use a new way of composing...

and definitely sign me up for the Classical/Jazz Album.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-01 20:49:46

I don't think number two is entirely that good of an option.

You'd be asking anyone who wishes to be on this album to create a song in its entirety to be judged as per which song goes on the album. That's asking a lot of work from so many people, who will put in all their efforts, and still not get into the final CD to be sold in the store.

I think it was about 2 years ago that it last happened, but there was a 3 party distributor that came along, looking for original songs to be placed on an album for sale from a website other than Newgrounds. They actually did this a few years in a row.

What they asked was for each artist who wanted a chance to be on the track to submit a demo of the song they wished submit to the album. The Demo was between 1:00 and 1:30, and was supposed to be partly mastered, so you had an idea about the quality of the finished version.

I believe 10 or 12 artists/songs were selected, and after they announced the composers who were going to be on the album, they then had about a month to finish the track, and the entire album was then mastered by one person, so each track had a relative feel to it, even though it had 12 or so different artists.

The reason this worked so well, was because plenty of time was given for the people actually chosen to finish their songs, and the people who weren't chosen didn't have the letdown of putting forth all their effort to make a finished song that didn't end up getting chosen.

------------------
Side-note here.

I would absolutely love to see/take part on a "Newgrounds Unplugged" album where the DAWs and VSTs are put down, and those artists willing pick up guitars, pianos, or anything acoustic, and re-record, or even cover other newgrounder's songs, or their own. I think this would be a very tasty, fresh thing to present to fans of the NGAP, and to really press the musical talents of many producers here. Think about it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 01:00:04

Actually Merlin, there wouldn't be any more work with option number two... There would simply be more people working. I think everyone agrees with option 2 because it allows for everyOne to get involved. Not everyones track will be choosen, but everyone will receive critique, have fun, and improve on their skills. It isn't about winning nesceaarily. It's about community.

I think we have had more than enough discussion and feel that option 2 would be the proper option.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 01:33:11

Sorry, when I said I'd join earlier, I forgot to say I'd be up for Classical or Jazz... unless we can have a separate CD for Big Band? I'd compose the shit out of a big band album! :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 01:48:06

Question here...if I make something and its chosen, can I release under the label that I am signed to as well or would you prefer the song to be exclusive to this album?

Check me out on: Soundcloud l Twitter | Facebook

Newest song: GHOSTS

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 02:46:22

Great question! Exclusivity definitely needs to be discussed.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 11:58:04

option #2 makes the most sense.

EP2 out now! Download it for free :).

soundcloud | newgrounds

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 18:30:20

At 6/2/11 01:48 AM, UncleSqueezins wrote: Question here...if I make something and its chosen, can I release under the label that I am signed to as well or would you prefer the song to be exclusive to this album?

You still are under the CC since you aren't actually signing any documents that state we own your music. However, you are giving us the rights to use your music in the commercial world, not minding that the profits go towards charity. You still have the right to do whatever you want with the song, since Newgrounds has the Creative Commons (CC) method with the music posted here.

If you are going to be in this album, we simply ask you, on a personal level, to not distribute it freely.

This, however, is kind of a strange concept... seeing as you still legally have the right to do whatever the hell you want with your song. I'll discuss this with Tom to see what rights everyone has, but i am assuming it is still under the CC... since the CC suggests people dont have the right to use your music commercially unless stated so under ANOTHER license. I'll do some research. :)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-02 19:08:20

At 6/2/11 06:30 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: You still are under the CC since you aren't actually signing any documents that state we own your music. However, you are giving us the rights to use your music in the commercial world, not minding that the profits go towards charity. You still have the right to do whatever you want with the song, since Newgrounds has the Creative Commons (CC) method with the music posted here.

CC is more of an end-user license, but yeah posting the AP doesn't relinquish your copyright ownership and I'm sure that a NG compilation (for charity, no less) would operate in the same way.

Did I mention that I'm down for chill? Maybe upbeat too. Either/or!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-03 01:34:42

I'm going to go ahead and choose option two, since after much detailed discussion I personal think that is where this needs to be headed, plus the majority seems to agree through a democratic vote.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 06:48:01

Well, helloooo!

Looks good that some progress has made over the past few days.

It also seems that Classical/Jazz has become more so popular already. If it becomes crazily popular FatKidWitAJetPak, it may be beneficial to contemplate a 2CD collection, splitting up the orchestration as some people will be doing Classical but others will be doing more of a filmscore take, then maybe bumping up the price.

Once all the ittynittygritty bits have been decided and the individual threads are made for each album, maybe in there people should state whether they are in or not. As right now, you're going to get loads of people maybe missing this thread, not saying they're in. Also, you should consider the restrictions too. Such as, should people only be allowed one track? If so, is that one track per album? Or one track for all albums? Such as do you really want some people to have their track in 1, 2 or maybe even three albums because there are some guys on here that ARE that good.

As of right now, it looks like option 2 is the more popular choice.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 12:19:31

I'd love to take part in this! I'm currently working on a orchestral/filmscore piece with a hint of rock....

Anyway.... I'd like to try my hand at this! I would probably try for Orchestral/Filmscore....

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 13:37:46

I'm excited to see this thing get rolling! Especially after so much discussion, it's nice to see you made an executive (and democratic) decision.

Hello, from the past!

[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 16:01:22

Hey Peter,

Good thoughts you have there! All of then have crosse my mind at one Point or another. Like you said, there will be loads of People who miss this thread, but in order to bring this massive collaboration to everybodies attention, some users and I will send a mass PM out to every audio artist we can find. This will make sure that we get PLENTY of entries and make it to where many people can improve on heir skills, gain cyber friendships, and get theirselves out there.

If this thing recieves way more people than intended, then we will end up coming back to this thread and discussing how we should make each album contain more discs and what the it's should be. Also, it is better to have ONE contest thread for proper organization... Plus undone want to litter the forums with threads lol. Also, everyone will be able to work at once :)

Thanks again guys for helping make this thing come to life! I feel we Gould let discussion continue for a few more days, then I will start getting judges and volunteers to help me setup everything :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 16:24:59

Thanks again guys for helping make this thing come to life! I feel we Gould let discussion continue for a few more days, then I will start getting judges and volunteers to help me setup everything :D

if any album along experimental borders is confirmed, someone should let me know, i cant make quite as much time for NG as i would like so i cant check up on contests very easily. i would hate to miss out on this.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 17:38:10

At 6/4/11 04:24 PM, SessileNomad wrote:
if any album along experimental borders is confirmed, someone should let me know, i cant make quite as much time for NG as i would like so i cant check up on contests very easily. i would hate to miss out on this.

The experimental will fall under the ambient and misc category album :)

We will pretty much leave room for nearly every genre out there.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 19:32:12

About charity

I dont mind ending up with 10 bucks for condoms. Money is money and it can always come into handy. Well for me, since i dont live by my parents anymore having some more cash wouldnt hurt.

Dont get me wrong im all for charity and help those in need. But dont forget even the people who in the western world also need money to pay bills and junk. Yeah maybe 10 bucks may seem nothing to you but for me it can come in the nick of time and i'll be able to have something to eat for tommorow. ;)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 20:18:16

Hmm... well, I don't think he'll be able to divvy out a proper portion of the CD to you and not to anyone else (I suppose he could, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work and hassle). Most of us that are willing to participate already know that we're not getting money for it, so it hasn't been a problem yet, really.

Likely, you'll just need to accept that you won't get money for this particular track, and if you don't want to give one song away then feel free not to participate.

That being said, has there been any word on the sort of charity that we're going to donate to? Being willing to work for a charity is one thing, but you never know what some people will absolutely not want to support. It'd be kind of unfair to say you're donating to charity when you're donating to a charity that's pushing, say, a pro-choice movement, or something, when pro-lifers wouldn't normally want to support that sort of thing. I'm not assuming anything here, and feel free to donate to whomever, but you might want to let us know before we get started on writing our tracks. It'll save quite a bit of grief, in the long run.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 21:16:55

The above post pretty much covers why we are giving to charity. I just think we could help out others more than we could ourselves when it comes to money. When it ones to general payment, technical we all get paid by gettin ourselves out there and having one hell of a fun time doing it, recieving critique along the way.

I have been thinking about which charity organization we shod give money to... And I was thinking about either helping the Japanese relief program a hand or the heifer project. The heifer project basically gives animals to many struggling families across the world. They belevr jn the whole "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat everyday" they give cows, chickens, etc. He'll, we could even give it to the heifer Japanese relief program and combine the two ideas.

Any other charity ideas?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-04 23:19:32

At 6/4/11 09:16 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The above post pretty much covers why we are giving to charity. I just think we could help out others more than we could ourselves when it comes to money. When it ones to general payment, technical we all get paid by gettin ourselves out there and having one hell of a fun time doing it, recieving critique along the way.

I have been thinking about which charity organization we shod give money to... And I was thinking about either helping the Japanese relief program a hand.

Well that would be perfect for the song I'll be submitting, having started it a while ago when the news were fresh!

Also, I agree with Peter, adding that Jazz doesn't really fit with classical, though the main reason that it's fused with another genre is probably that besides Sorohan (assuming he'd post in the jazz category) and me, I haven't actually seen constant jazz posters in the latter years...

I also agree with the statement that we should be allowed to post more than one song, given that the constraints to submit only newly made songs will prevent a massive flow of submitions from the same artist.

P.S. 100th post, have I really posted this much already, I feel like I rarely ever post...

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-05 01:10:59

So... when do we submit stuff?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-05 08:05:57

At 6/4/11 09:16 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

:The heifer project basically gives animals to many struggling families across the world. They believe jn the whole "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat everyday" they give cows, chickens, etc. He'll, we could even give it to the heifer Japanese relief program and combine the two ideas.

I actually love the idea of giving to them. The japanese could do with support, but i also believe their civilisation is a strong one, one that can recover from such tragedy. Even a japanese dude said it on tele. Anywho, definetly with the Heifer prject, as it gives a means for someone to fend for themselves, there's honor in it...u'know.

At 6/5/11 01:10 AM, Twone wrote: So... when do we submit stuff?

Not yet, you mean's well give it a start if you want, but the genres havent been certified. At this point in time we're discussing approaches and trying to iron out any possible upcoming kinks. Such as methods of judging and submission.

We should really round up the first discussion (options 1 n 2) and get onto further things, such as should we be allowed to submit to more than one category, if not it could make the selection of artists much wider, how many artists to a cd, are we clamping a time limit to divide those artists by? What will be the organisation of this all be when coming to the seperation of it, and who will be involved in judging. So far, I think this has been an excellent process and has really made a difference already to the success of the cd's proposed.

Tis awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-05 09:29:43

Please dont misunderstand me. I am still planning to enter, but also understand the position im in. Maybe im the only one saying this because maybe others are just too shy to say anything or dont want to come off as a money hungry evil man. :P

This is not really a issue but i still feel like we should discuss this. Also in my defence i have only but give away free music for the last 3 years. So that is not the problem. But having some change in your pocket for doing what you love, in this case make music could never hurt you.

But if where going to give charity, give to Haiti. Japan is already a well developed country they can pretty much patch themself back together. Haiti on the other hand is still one of the most poorest countries out there. And its still having trouble recovering from the last earthquick.

Maybe i have a soft spot for Haiti since its my birthplace. It hurts me that i dont have enough money to help my relatives there since im still a student. But you have to admit i have a valid reason to support this thought.