00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,305 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-21 22:32:32

At 6/21/11 03:34 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Question: let's say the song I'm working on right now will be on the album, am I then still allowed to upload it to Bandcamp for a (few) dollar(s)?

We would rather prefer you keep the track specific to the album... but you have every right to put it for sale on your bandcamp. I'd recommend selling it for $1, however.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 13:41:41

At 6/21/11 10:32 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: We would rather prefer you keep the track specific to the album... but you have every right to put it for sale on your bandcamp. I'd recommend selling it for $1, however.

I better get on the album itself firstly xD

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 13:45:29

The private server is done thanks to Mich!

NOW lets get this puppy started.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 13:46:32

At 6/23/11 01:45 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The private server is done thanks to Mich!

Link?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 13:49:04

At 6/23/11 01:45 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
The private server is done thanks to Mich!

Tits or gtfo!

On a more serious note, this is already shaping up to be quite an impressive set of albums, with a lot of talent.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 13:54:08

At 6/23/11 01:46 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 6/23/11 01:45 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The private server is done thanks to Mich!

Link?

Slow down there skippy, let me make the signup thread first! :P

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 16:09:55

At 6/21/11 08:08 PM, NimblekidX wrote: I understand the whole private server thing and stuff,and I was wondering if we could also show up our WIPs in that server? it'd be easier and a lot less stressful to have everything myusik inside the album server. thats just my 2 cents though.

Seeing as I programmed the thingie, I'll pop in for some answers. :3
The system is made so everyone gets to make a main post to which they attach an MP3 file with a maximum size of 20MB. The mp3 is uploaded to the server and will show up as a little player in your post, along with the message you're posting. Then, the others can comment on the MP3 posts.

This way it's easy to post up your track or work in progress and have organized discussion about it.
FKWAJP is probably still working on the first post and some more organization, but I'm sure he'll PM the participants the link and password soon, or in whatever way he's setting this up. :)

Glad I could be of help.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 18:15:54

At 6/23/11 04:09 PM, Mich wrote: The system is made so everyone gets to make a main post to which they attach an MP3 file with a maximum size of 20MB. The mp3 is uploaded to the server and will show up as a little player in your post, along with the message you're posting. Then, the others can comment on the MP3 posts.

Stunning work Mich! :D We appreciate the time and effort you are putting in for this. Thanks again!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 18:53:57

Where might 50's rock and/or surf rock go on these CD's? They don't seem to fit in with the rock / metal disc, but then again, they fit even less with any other category...

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 20:20:31

At 6/23/11 06:53 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Where might 50's rock and/or surf rock go on these CD's? They don't seem to fit in with the rock / metal disc, but then again, they fit even less with any other category...

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure alot of the categories aren't properly represented, they shouldn't have genres atributed to them since genres are meant to encolse the style of composition rather than the actual feeling that comes from it.

For example I have NEVER written Jazz that felt chill or relaxed, and am pissed when people assume that's the kind of music I make when I tell them I make Jazz (and I take as an insult the categorising of "easy listening" Jazz is tagged as in the AP).

In your case, surf rock, or Rockabilly, would most likely go under the chill category.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 23:38:17

Im far to lazy to log out of this account, so I will just post with this account...

I am making the sign up thread now!

also this picture is not relevant but im gonna post it anyway because I dont know what else to do with it

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-23 23:39:47

OOooopss... forgot this picture!

ok obviously you guys realize im trying to make a new page now.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 00:38:38

ALRIGHT GUYS.

The signup thread has been made!

If you want to join this project and enter a new song into the album. SIGNUP HERE. Simply make a one line post saying, "YEAH SIGN ME UP DAWG" or whatever and I will post you a link to a private server with a password to that server. The server will include a specefic list of rules with a place to post your song! Don't rush now, you have 4 months to do this! However, we do wish that you go ahead and signup ASAP so we can know just exactly how BIG this project will be.

Good luck everyone! Spread the word, this project has OFFICIALLY STARTED. :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 00:44:51

FFFFFFF

I fail, I used my alt to make two posts thinking it was about to be the start of a new page...

WELL, fuck me. I suck.

ALSO, can people help me out here by spreading the word? Thanks ;)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 08:00:41

I just posted my WIP in the thread, but the music player is acting funky. When I click the play button, it slides out and then goes back in again (must.control.dirty.mind), and I don't hear any music...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 08:23:47

6 pages of signups and 8 CDs?

You're obviously going for quantity, not quality

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 08:31:58

Maybe you can get Tom to front page the contest? That would attract people.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 08:41:43

At 6/24/11 08:23 AM, SBB wrote: 6 pages of signups and 8 CDs?

This, id say the average ng tune would not make the cut on a paid CD. Including most of my stuff.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 09:48:40

Lol, your silly norwigen logic is flawed. Everyone has FOUR MONTHS to work on their best track. That means there will be 8CDs if peoples BEST music. Therefore, we are strongly asking for quality and quanity. In this case, moar music =/= less quality since eery song will be produced with attention to detail and care amongst a four month period.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 09:52:47

At 6/24/11 09:48 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Lol, your silly norwigen logic is flawed.

Can you take a look at my question above. I think it needs fixing...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 09:54:00

At 6/24/11 08:41 AM, jpbear wrote:

This, id say the average ng tune would not make the cut on a paid CD. Including most of my stuff.

Submissions entered into any NG contest are not "your average ng tune". Contests, from what I have seen, can help massively at inspiring artists to create a really fuckinggood track, or at least one that's better than their previous tracks. Most submissions will be handled with care, assumig people try their best. People sometimes try their best in the portal... But ther musi is hidden amongst the everyday crap of "the average ng tune" yor speaking of.

I have every faith in the ng audio communities abilities.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 10:17:19

I think it's a matter of people need to put the work in and if they really really try and don't half ass it, then they have a shot, and the people who get lazy will most likely not make the cut. So if people don't go into the contest knowing that they need to try their absolute best, they shouldn't hope to make it, as Fatkid already made that very clear throughout the process up until now. Also, isn't it better to have more submissions than not enough? Otherwise you have to curve the albums and you would end up with not a lot of songs and some of them aren't that great, or end up with a LOT of songs and some of them aren't great, but at least you have a greater spectrum of choice.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 10:23:39

At 6/24/11 10:17 AM, djInTheDark wrote: I think it's a matter of people need to put the work in and if they really really try and don't half ass it, then they have a shot, and the people who get lazy will most likely not make the cut. So if people don't go into the contest knowing that they need to try their absolute best, they shouldn't hope to make it, as Fatkid already made that very clear throughout the process up until now. Also, isn't it better to have more submissions than not enough? Otherwise you have to curve the albums and you would end up with not a lot of songs and some of them aren't that great, or end up with a LOT of songs and some of them aren't great, but at least you have a greater spectrum of choice.

Well, I still believe we should only allow people to submit one song, so people arent discouraged by others who put in a massive workload and submit two songs. Some would believe that more songs from others would lessen their chances at getting in, even though that isn't true. I also believe that we will have more than enough submissions, and really don't want to jeopardize things by nearly DOUBLING that list. If things fall under, then perhaps letting people making two submissions, and no more, would b the best approach.

OH, and byyy thee waayyy...

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 10:33:29

HEY NEWCOMERS, READ THIS PLEASE BEFORE POSTING! Otherwise you'll just get yelled at ;)

Things that need to be discussed:

1.) What charity organization should we donate to? I say help with the japanese relief by donating to the heifer project. Teach a man to fish, you know that sort of thing.

2.) What should we charge per 2CD pack? *Each pack will include a certain list of genres that go well with eachother. Each pack will contain aprox. 30 songs*

Feel free to bring up NEW points of discussion! Here are the things we have discussed so far:

This list contains everything we have gone over so far. Feel free to discuss it if you disagree with it, bring new points up, or PM me for info / if you want to be a judge or do some other help in promoting this. If you don't want to get involved just yet, that's fine, but please tell us that you are interested so we can send you a nifty PM when its time for you to make music like a boss.

1.)The album should include new songs not available on the portal. There will be a nice and private place to submit your entry. Only people with the password to the private server can access your song. Basically, only the people involved in this project will be able to listen to it, which means you will receive critique on your entry and be able to give critique on all the entries! No outsiders can come in and pirate the music :)

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple themed albums based around certain genres that fit well together. Each album will be sold to the NG store with about 20+ songs on each album.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $10 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- Heartwarming, serious themed album based around the orchestral, folk, jazz, solos, and classical genres."
- Upbeat, dance/grindcore themed album based around Dubstep, Drum N Bass, progressive, and trance."
- Hardcore, brutal themed album based around metal, rock, face melters, and others."
- Chill, visual themed album based around ambient, pop, drone, 8-bit, and experimental/glitch.

5.) I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to the private website where all the music will be posted. This site will contain all the contest Information, rules, and a place for submitting your final amazingly bodacious track. This will allow the audio community to hear and give their opinion on all the music submitted, but NOT allow outsiders to come in and download/steal the music! Since we are making 4 albums, 8CDs, and 120 songs all together... That's a lot of music to steal! Having a private password protected submission page just for us seems to be the right way to go.

HERE IS THE SIGNUP THREAD. <-- POST THERE IF YOU WANT TO JOIN SO I CAN PM YOU

So, all in all we will have two threads:

A signup thread
This thread for discussion

6.) Once the contest is over, a team of judges and I will use a judging sheet to determine which the best tracks are. This "judging sheet" wlll most likely be out of 100 points and will be judged based on Quality, Fit, Originality, e.t.c. Only we judges have to worry about this though! :)

7.) Everyone who doesn't make it in will then be allowed to submit their song on the NG Audio Portal for proper criticism and suggestions. The main reasoning behind letting EVERYONE submit a newly made piece is to give EVERYONE a chance at getting into this. If someone ends up working hard and not making it in, then at least they can say they tried their best and therefore improved!

8.)Each album will be designed by someone over on the art portal.

9.)Each album will be mastered and mixed properly from a professional quality technician over here.

10.) We can promote and sell this album in just more than the NG store! With proper research on security to prevent piracy, we can sell this album in Itunes, ReverbNation, e.t.c. but it will mainly be created for Newgrounds by Newgrounds ro promote the Newgrounds audio community and Newgrounds as a whole... NEWGROUNDS.

11.) It has been decided that everyone will produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album. This way, everyone can get involved, receive critique, and develop online friendships along the way. It will really strengthen the community.

CURRENTLY I NEED VOLUNTEERS THAT WILL:

Help Judge
Help Promote

Thank you for everyone who has helped so far! This is getting some amazing recognition :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 11:53:24

doctors without borders or haiti

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 17:43:46

At 6/24/11 10:33 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: 1.) What charity organization should we donate to? I say help with the japanese relief by donating to the heifer project. Teach a man to fish, you know that sort of thing.

2.) What should we charge per 2CD pack? *Each pack will include a certain list of genres that go well with eachother. Each pack will contain aprox. 30 songs*

It'd be cool if there were multiple charities and people could select which charity their purchase goes to, but I imagine that'd take a lot of extra effort. I don't know a lot about Heifer International, myself and couldn't find anything about them helping Japan, but I'm pretty open-minded as long as it doesn't go to a televangelist's next car purchase or something.

How much would be going to the charity out of each purchase? I could see $20.00 flat plus s/h being fair to pay for a double CD. That'd be $80.00 for all four, though. Maybe ~$5.00 over cost per double CD based on some minimum-tier bulk order so if it does really well it'll raise even more funds for whichever charity

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 17:59:37

We need to be careful how high we go. If people see it really high they wont touch it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 18:48:39

$13.99 for two CD's of awesome music sounds pretty reasonable to me. That's $7 per disc, which is still way cheaper than buying a regular CD from the store.

~$14 for 100-120 minutes of music (since you can fit just over an hour of music onto a single CD) vs. $16 that it costs for 45 minutes of music from an album released by Sony/BMG, UMG, or Warner.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 19:17:38

I could see around $14. That'd be about $60 for all four double CDs with s/h for most places. That seems pretty reasonable, and seems like an amount that would get some real dollars over to a charity. Does NG get any money out of it? What company will be making and distributing the CDs? The talk about bulk orders makes me think NG is going to have to buy bulk orders and then resell them, but there might be better dropshipping per-order options out there that give tier-based bonuses/discounts over time instead of all at once

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 19:20:19

OK listen. Here's how this thing will be priced, at least for the downloadable versions on iTunes, Bandcamp and such (can't do this with the physical copies of course):
Pay what you want, $1-2 minimum per collection. I'm convinced this will be the most successful option, because:

1. It's a hell of a deal, and therefore it is MUCH easier to get good publicity from various blogs and sites all over the internet. Maybe from iTunes itself even, if you give em a proper heads up.
2. The potential publicity for the pay-what-you-want scheme will convince some people to get the physical, more costly version instead.
3. Since this is a 100% charity thing, people will be inclined to pay more. If we're lucky we'll get a few crazy high "donations" too.
4. For every person who's willing to pay $15 for it, there are dozens of people who are willing to pay $1-4 for it. Also, this will help prevent piracy through goodwill.
5. If a person is initially only interested in say 1 or 2 songs on a collection, they might as well pay a buck and get the whole album (rather than just buying the particular song for the same price). After a while they might start getting into a few of the other songs on that album = additional recognition/publicity for the NG artists in question.