00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,249 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 19:33:41

At 6/24/11 07:20 PM, SBB wrote: OK listen. Here's how this thing will be priced, at least for the downloadable versions on iTunes, Bandcamp and such (can't do this with the physical copies of course):
Pay what you want, $1-2 minimum per collection. I'm convinced this will be the most successful option, because:

LOL, at first glance I thought you said maximum and I was like uhhhhhh... But yeah I like this idea. It widens the buyer spectrum and allows more wiggle room for the customer.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 19:35:43

At 6/24/11 07:20 PM, SBB wrote: OK listen. Here's how this thing will be priced, at least for the downloadable versions on iTunes, Bandcamp and such (can't do this with the physical copies of course):
Pay what you want, $1-2 minimum per collection. I'm convinced this will be the most successful option, because:

1. It's a hell of a deal, and therefore it is MUCH easier to get good publicity from various blogs and sites all over the internet. Maybe from iTunes itself even, if you give em a proper heads up.
2. The potential publicity for the pay-what-you-want scheme will convince some people to get the physical, more costly version instead.
3. Since this is a 100% charity thing, people will be inclined to pay more. If we're lucky we'll get a few crazy high "donations" too.
4. For every person who's willing to pay $15 for it, there are dozens of people who are willing to pay $1-4 for it. Also, this will help prevent piracy through goodwill.
5. If a person is initially only interested in say 1 or 2 songs on a collection, they might as well pay a buck and get the whole album (rather than just buying the particular song for the same price). After a while they might start getting into a few of the other songs on that album = additional recognition/publicity for the NG artists in question.

I like your ideas, here, SBB. You got a good head on your shoulders.

Now that this has progressed to this point and all of this has been laid out before me, in a way I can understand: I really like what's going on. The whole charity thing is pretty inspiring, it'll make me happy if we reach the goals of the project. I'd be honored to be a judge for it, but as I too am entering a submission, plus the fact that I try not to be too nice with my critiques, I don't think I'd be a fair judge. I'm not saying I'm not honest, I'm just saying that I have a disposition that makes me seem bitter.

The only thing I'd like to add is that, instead of 1-2 USD as a minimum for the online copy, I'd charge 3 USD as a minimum, because that is the lowest we ever go on physical albums or demos made by local bands in PA. (Well, unless you really click with the band and they give you free copies, which has happened to me several times.) To me, it just makes more sense, but that's just me.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 19:53:56

The pay-what-you-want for the download version is awesome, I could see anywhere from 1-3 as the minimum, or even more, but the two prices mentioned (1-2 and 3) seem really good.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 20:09:24

Pay-what-you-want sounds good. Also, for a charity... The Asia Foundation

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 22:44:57

i am very interested in contributing to this but i didn't see what the time restrictions were on the songs? i'm assuming there only to be around 2 minutes long

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 22:46:41

At 6/24/11 10:44 PM, Streez wrote: i am very interested in contributing to this but i didn't see what the time restrictions were on the songs? i'm assuming there only to be around 2 minutes long

Anything up to 8 minutes long. Obviously, if everyone submits 8 minute songs, well, that's not really gonna fit on the CD.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 23:03:55

At 6/24/11 10:46 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Anything up to 8 minutes long. Obviously, if everyone submits 8 minute songs, well, that's not really gonna fit on the CD.

Sweet. I've been meaning to put some effort into making a wonderful,thought-out jazz piece. 6/8 time sig,anyone?

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-24 23:33:42

So excited for this! I signed up.
Would the contributors get a free copy or no? I'm cool with paying, but it'd be neat.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 00:55:09

At 6/24/11 11:33 PM, WalkingShrub wrote: So excited for this! I signed up.
Would the contributors get a free copy or no? I'm cool with paying, but it'd be neat.

Maybe contributors should get a free copy of their choice of two of the albums, but they have to buy the other ones?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 02:01:52

i just noticed im going to be going up against BEASTS such as petersatera. -facepalm-

let me just shut up and try my best,for if i want to get into the CD,im going to need ALOT of hard work.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 08:27:48

I'm just gonna try again: the player that shows up when you post a song in the submission server doesn't work. I've posted my WIP there and when I play it nothing happens.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 08:34:00

At 6/25/11 08:27 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm just gonna try again: the player that shows up when you post a song in the submission server doesn't work. I've posted my WIP there and when I play it nothing happens.

It works fine for me in Firefox on Ubuntu, but apparently not in Chrome. in Chrome I just get a split second of the start and then it stops playing.

I've used a pretty common flash mp3 player, but I guess I could switch it to another one if that works better.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 11:01:43

When do we get the password to the private site? I signed up a few days ago but haven't got it yet.

Check me out on: Soundcloud l Twitter | Facebook

Newest song: GHOSTS

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-25 12:33:47

At 6/25/11 11:01 AM, UncleSqueezins wrote: When do we get the password to the private site? I signed up a few days ago but haven't got it yet.

I update the list every three days or so :)

Everyone who signuped so far should receive a pm today.

I need to think more about the price for each album... I was thinking letting people pay $8 per 2CD collection and pay $30 for all 4 together. I was also thinking of puttin out a special collectors addition for those who feel like naming their price above $35. I need to think about it more, although SBBs idea does seem pretty good.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 01:03:05

At 6/25/11 12:33 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I was also thinking of puttin out a special collectors addition for those who feel like naming their price above $35.

I believe the collector's edition should have all 8 CD's,a special front cover(like maybe a fusion of all four album covers put together?) and ONE single extra track that maybe you yourself could make and place into the 2nd CD of the genre it fits in.

just a couple ideas for your thought.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 05:54:19

At 6/25/11 02:01 AM, NimblekidX wrote: i just noticed im going to be going up against BEASTS such as petersatera. -facepalm-

Listen my appearance has nothing to do with this! :P There's plenty of space for loads of people on here! All we can do is our best and have fun with it. From what I heard on the forums, we all have to upstep our game! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 09:13:41

It seems that everybody on the server can hear each others songs except for me. I tried it with IE9 and Chrome, and I can't hear anything when I press play. And with Firefox (3.6.12) I can't even see the damn player! Any help?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 09:39:41

Try updating to firefox 5, with the player being dependant on flash, its best to use the new flash with the new firefox. It's much nicer than 3 aswell and saves space!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 10:27:33

At 6/27/11 09:39 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Try updating to firefox 5, with the player being dependant on flash, its best to use the new flash with the new firefox. It's much nicer than 3 aswell and saves space!

I installed Firefox 5, but that didn't work either. :(

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 10:36:52

Chrome for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Safari for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Firefox for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Chrome for Windows - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Safari for Windows - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Internet Explorer for Windows - player is replaced by a red x.
Firefox for Windows - thankfully, this one works properly.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 10:42:44

At 6/27/11 10:36 AM, SBB wrote: Chrome for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Safari for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Firefox for Mac - player snaps back to original position, no sound.

Don't have a Mac, but I guess.

Chrome for Windows - player snaps back to original position, no sound.
Safari for Windows - player snaps back to original position, no sound.

True.

Internet Explorer for Windows - player is replaced by a red x.

For me, it does the same as Chrome and Safari.

Firefox for Windows - thankfully, this one works properly.

Doesn't work for me! There's no player! D:

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 11:01:25

Player issue

You'd expect that a terribly generic and common player would work just fine. Guess not. I'll try some things later.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 11:04:35

I just noticed that the same player did work on another site. Strange...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 12:48:11

Mich is fixing the issue now! No worries. Just repost your post if you want and I will delete your previous one.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 12:51:07

HEY NEWCOMERS, READ THIS PLEASE BEFORE POSTING! Otherwise you'll just get yelled at ;)

Things that need to be discussed:

1.) What charity organization should we donate to? I say help with the japanese relief by donating to the heifer project. Teach a man to fish, you know that sort of thing.

2.) What should we charge per 2CD pack? *Each pack will include a certain list of genres that go well with eachother. Each pack will contain aprox. 30 songs*

Feel free to bring up NEW points of discussion! Here are the things we have discussed so far:

This list contains everything we have gone over so far. Feel free to discuss it if you disagree with it, bring new points up, or PM me for info / if you want to be a judge or do some other help in promoting this. If you don't want to get involved just yet, that's fine, but please tell us that you are interested so we can send you a nifty PM when its time for you to make music like a boss.

1.)The album should include new songs not available on the portal. There will be a nice and private place to submit your entry. Only people with the password to the private server can access your song. Basically, only the people involved in this project will be able to listen to it, which means you will receive critique on your entry and be able to give critique on all the entries! No outsiders can come in and pirate the music :)

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple themed albums based around certain genres that fit well together. Each album will be sold to the NG store with about 20+ songs on each album.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $10 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- Heartwarming, serious themed album based around the orchestral, folk, jazz, solos, and classical genres."
- Upbeat, dance/grindcore themed album based around Dubstep, Drum N Bass, progressive, and trance."
- Hardcore, brutal themed album based around metal, rock, face melters, and others."
- Chill, visual themed album based around ambient, pop, drone, 8-bit, and experimental/glitch.

5.) I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to the private website where all the music will be posted. This site will contain all the contest Information, rules, and a place for submitting your final amazingly bodacious track. This will allow the audio community to hear and give their opinion on all the music submitted, but NOT allow outsiders to come in and download/steal the music! Since we are making 4 albums, 8CDs, and 120 songs all together... That's a lot of music to steal! Having a private password protected submission page just for us seems to be the right way to go.

HERE IS THE SIGNUP THREAD. <-- POST THERE IF YOU WANT TO JOIN SO I CAN PM YOU

So, all in all we will have two threads:

A signup thread
This thread for discussion

6.) Once the contest is over, a team of judges and I will use a judging sheet to determine which the best tracks are. This "judging sheet" wlll most likely be out of 100 points and will be judged based on Quality, Fit, Originality, e.t.c. Only we judges have to worry about this though! :)

7.) Everyone who doesn't make it in will then be allowed to submit their song on the NG Audio Portal for proper criticism and suggestions. The main reasoning behind letting EVERYONE submit a newly made piece is to give EVERYONE a chance at getting into this. If someone ends up working hard and not making it in, then at least they can say they tried their best and therefore improved!

8.)Each album will be designed by someone over on the art portal.

9.)Each album will be mastered and mixed properly from a professional quality technician over here.

10.) We can promote and sell this album in just more than the NG store! With proper research on security to prevent piracy, we can sell this album in Itunes, ReverbNation, e.t.c. but it will mainly be created for Newgrounds by Newgrounds ro promote the Newgrounds audio community and Newgrounds as a whole... NEWGROUNDS.

11.) It has been decided that everyone will produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album. This way, everyone can get involved, receive critique, and develop online friendships along the way. It will really strengthen the community.

CURRENTLY I NEED VOLUNTEERS THAT WILL:

Help Judge
Help Promote

Thank you for everyone who has helped so far! This is getting some amazing recognition :D

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 13:32:55

It works fine on Ubuntu in Firefox for me, but not Chrome. Haven't tried anything else. I didn't see anything that just stuck out in the code, either, from what I could see. The player itself tries to buffer just fine even in Chrome for me, it's when the player has a player id and file associated for some reason that it seems to get screwy. Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to password protect the mp3s/ folder, currently you can get in without a password and just yank whatever. Thanks for all the hard work on it, hope the kinks aren't so bad once you spot what the problem is

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 14:02:25

At 6/27/11 12:51 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Things that need to be discussed:

1.) What charity organization should we donate to? I say help with the japanese relief by donating to the heifer project. Teach a man to fish, you know that sort of thing.

It might be a better idea to leave this as to be announced, the end project won't be for quite some time and a lot of disasters could happen between then and now. There might be something at a later date more obvious to donate to.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 14:14:07

At 6/27/11 02:02 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: It might be a better idea to leave this as to be announced, the end project won't be for quite some time and a lot of disasters could happen between then and now. There might be something at a later date more obvious to donate to.

Lol, let's hope not though.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 17:37:47

Well, we can go ahead and discuss charity. If we get it over with now I can talk directly to an organization and get things settled.

Currently, I am talking to Tom Fulp about the details on the store.

We still need to decide how much the CDs will cost. Perhaps we should let people name their own price past $10 per album? *so all four albums together would cost $40 or above*

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-27 17:51:34

At 6/27/11 05:37 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: We still need to decide how much the CDs will cost. Perhaps we should let people name their own price past $10 per album? *so all four albums together would cost $40 or above*

Then you might as well just set the price at $10. "Name your own price" isn't a very compelling deal if you're obliged to pay at least the cost of a normal CD, is it?

Believe me, for every person who is willing to pay $10 for that album, there are hundreds of people who will pay $1 for it. I still believe 'name your price past $1' will be the most "profitable" deal if we market it properly, and it will also be the most effective counteraction against piracy, for reasons I've stated in a previous post.

Or are you just talking about physical CDs now?