00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join!

43,248 Views | 692 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-29 18:14:14

At 6/29/11 05:52 PM, charlie-sheening wrote: I sincerely doubt most people would go to the trouble involved of ripping 120 NG songs rom YT.. just a thought.. just saying, it could actually work to our advantage.

You'd be surprised. And it's not about worrying that someone is going to round up all the songs and throw them in a torrent, it's about isolated incidents. Someone copies one song here, someone records a different one there. At first it doesn't seem like a big problem, people taking just the one or two songs that they like... but it adds up rather quickly. Imagine then if 10 people did it, then 50, then a 100, up and up. Soon you've had several hundred different cases of minor pirating, but it would equal out to dozens of albums being stolen. All of which could be used to give back to charity. It isn't worth the risk.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-29 22:45:50

Also, the music would technically be out there for free... and that would plumit sales.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-29 23:08:35

At 6/29/11 03:44 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: People who make it into the album may do whatever they won't with their song since thy are still under the CC Liscense on Newgrounds, but the audio community encourages you NOT to post the song up kn YouTube, soundcloud, or any other free audio hosting site because it is very easy to get the mp3 data and pirate it, even if there is no download button.

Actually, since the music is not being uploaded to NewGrounds, it is not registered under the Creative Commons license. Everyone retains full copyright ownership and exclusive rights to their tracks -- by signing up, it's assumed that you're giving a non-exclusive permission for your song to be sold on the album.

I apologize for switching into law student mode on you guys here, but in the interest of avoiding any potential issues in the future, everything really needs to be carefully worded.

@FatKid - I'm sending you a private message shortly to help you with the boring-but-necessary legal stuff.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-29 23:38:57

The CC, Creative Commons, gives everyone the full rights to their track, doesn't it? If so, that's what everyone is licensed under since I can't legally license them under anything else without going through some law mumbo jumbo, which I don't feel like doing anyway.

It is only right to still give everyone the CC, in my opinion.

However, that Pm would be great so I can further understand what needs to be done law wise. Although, Tom and I are going over that anyway.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 00:25:57

At 6/29/11 11:38 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The CC, Creative Commons, gives everyone the full rights to their track, doesn't it? If so, that's what everyone is licensed under since I can't legally license them under anything else without going through some law mumbo jumbo, which I don't feel like doing anyway.

The problem with the Creative Commons license is that it is an Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license: you would still have to arrange for a separate license to get permission from the artist to sell the song.

Additionally, 99% of the time, when people see a CC license, they associate it with 'free' -- indeed, they can use it however however they want (noncommercially) if they give attribution.

Finally, a CC license technically waives certain exclusive rights of the author: namely, it becomes that anyone can reproduce and distribute the song noncommercially. Which means that people won't buy the album, they'll just wait for a torrent and, having been organized under CC, you have very little legal power to stop it. Also, under the CC license you allow people to create derivative works -- someone can take a song from the album, remix it or add it to a nonprofit film, and again, neither you nor the author can prevent it.

In a situation like this, it really is best just to let everyone keep their full exclusive rights, especially if the authors are allowed to sell their songs separately later on -- using CC may seem like the easy option now, but believe me when I say it can really lead to a whole mess of trouble later on.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 03:59:00

I suppose it does leave the artist completely open. But we've gotta be realistic. Whats the chances of Newgrounds go after people who torrent it. If the govenment find it near impossible, then we cant really help it. People aren't going to be suaded not to download it off a torrent by full copyright, and then use it on YT. It happens anyway, copyright or no copyright.

lets not get so bombarded with the legalities. For those are are intently making this a career the profit is having your name in there. The same reason artists do freebies to start with. For others it's for fun and a chance to give to a charity through an alternative method.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 09:49:42

I highly doubt the legalities would be all that operant... And I'm almost positive that if anyone were sued, it would have to be every single person working on the project... And there wouldn't be any reason dthe law would sue us... And the only law thing that might occur would happen solely with single users and their song because they did some weirdrjing that has nothing to do with this project.

I appreciate your concern an all, but I just don't think anything should be signed by anyone. I will read in more detail , however, and get back to you in a pm.

I

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 10:30:44

I have a lot of faith in people that the ratio of piracy to legitimately purchased downloads won't be something to worry about with the whole thing being for charity, as long as the pricing is realistic and fair and somehow competitive with for-profit industry standards. "Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon.. I think most people would see and appreciate that it isn't some kind of get-someone-else-rich scheme or anything and that the funds were going to a good cause.. I can see people wanting to discuss it, though. I'm good with whatever you all decide, don't think many people will mind, either, seems like the type of thing that most artists would just be glad to help with and not worry over whether its CC or non-exclusive

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 20:02:32

This is a grand idea. As long as the music featured isn't already freely listenable then it would definitely work. You can most certainly sign me up in the dubstep category. I would be more than happy to create something original just for this project

Nihilism will weaken all but the strong

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-06-30 23:43:54

At 6/30/11 08:02 PM, NeuroDougal wrote: This is a grand idea. As long as the music featured isn't already freely listenable then it would definitely work. You can most certainly sign me up in the dubstep category. I would be more than happy to create something original just for this project

Signup in the signup thread! :)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 00:06:48

So what's the ETA on something like this?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 01:20:17

At 6/30/11 11:43 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
Signup in the signup thread! :)

So now I have to "sign up" again?

End the madness!

Why can't we just keep it to one single nice little thread?

This is driving me nuts. I've already stated that I want to participate in this project in THIS thread. Why do you insist we state so in yet again another thread?

P.S. I'm drunk as I type this, so perhpas it speaks volumes...

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 01:52:50

LOL maybe if you weren't drunk you'd undertstand there is only one signup thread. All you do is signup, work on your song, and submit it to the private submission server thing I pm you after I see that you signed up.

I'm not sure what you mean by another sign up thread, but everything is fairly simPle to join this contest xD

Everything you need to know is in the signup thread. Link above DJ bates post.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 01:55:07

At 7/1/11 12:06 AM, dj-Nate wrote: So what's the ETA on something like this?

What's eta?

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 02:03:32

At 7/1/11 01:55 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 7/1/11 12:06 AM, dj-Nate wrote: So what's the ETA on something like this?
What's eta?

Estimated Time Arrival

DERP

jeez....

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-01 03:43:37

DKGNDFGK]

Since the deadline for this album is in the middle of October, which is about 4 months from now, this album should be sorted out sometime in the end of September, or even sooner assuming that the judges and I get everything sorted out quick enough... but then there is a lot of details that need to be taken care of. Not many, but enough that will delay it for a bit.

Most likely, it will come out to online stores September.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-03 16:04:09

Bump, because I feel like it. How's everybody doing?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-05 10:11:59

At 7/3/11 04:04 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Bump, because I feel like it. How's everybody doing?

Well, I DJed my first Rave yesterday and got hired to be a part of a paid lineup sometime next week. I also met some professional DJs and we exchanged music. They were like, "WOH AMBIENT MUSIC HOLY BALLS"

This was probably the best 4th of July that I have ever had.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-05 23:23:18

MILESTONE REACHED!

We officially have 90 entries!

This means each album can have twenty songs!

Our next goal is to get 120! CAN WE DO IT?

Ps, should each album have 20 songs each, or 30 songs? Personally I think it all depend on the punt of quality submissions we receive, but if we for some reason do not receive as many as we thought, I say we narrow each album down to 20 songs instead of 30. We can also do this for albums that do not receive that many sumissions.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 01:07:16

Mmmmetling pot

So this album is for charity? That's for the best...avoid the arrogant artist that wants his fair share, fiasco.

I like the non-profit aspect. If you're putting *fully mastered* songs online that can be downloaded for free, then expect nothing less. I have a dream, wherein I retain all of my master tracks.

Maybe I will throw something at that thread if there's any room...

*huh?*

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 09:42:35

I'm nit sure if you understand the rules or not ryeguy. Remember, we are making NEW songs for this project. They will not be available online for free, but there will be a demo track of each album when this is all said and done.

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 10:47:18

I was curious do all we give you a charity we would like a portion to go to or are we deciding on specific charity?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 11:38:29

At 7/6/11 10:47 AM, joekuli wrote: I was curious do all we give you a charity we would like a portion to go to or are we deciding on specific charity?

No and Yes. We suggest charities we want the revenue to go to, and then when everyone has decided who they want to see get the money, a charity is chosen based on who wants said charity to receive it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 12:06:37

HEY NEWCOMERS, READ THIS PLEASE BEFORE POSTING! Otherwise you'll just get yelled at ;)

Things that need to be discussed:

1.) What charity organization should we donate to? I say help with the japanese relief by donating to the heifer project. Teach a man to fish, you know that sort of thing.

2.) What should we charge per 2CD pack? *Each pack will include a certain list of genres that go well with eachother. Each pack will contain aprox. 30 songs*

3.) How many licks does it REALLY take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

Feel free to bring up NEW points of discussion! Here are the things we have discussed so far:
This list contains everything we have gone over so far. Feel free to discuss it if you disagree with it, bring new points up, or PM me for info / if you want to be a judge or do some other help in promoting this. If you don't want to get involved just yet, that's fine, but please tell us that you are interested so we can send you a nifty PM when its time for you to make music like a boss.

1.)The album should include new songs not available on the portal. There will be a nice and private place to submit your entry. Only people with the password to the private server can access your song. Basically, only the people involved in this project will be able to listen to it, which means you will receive critique on your entry and be able to give critique on all the entries! No outsiders can come in and pirate the music :)

2.) Due to the inability to determine if people will enjoy the fact that the album has multiple genres on it, we should instead develop multiple themed albums based around certain genres that fit well together. Each album will be sold to the NG store with about 20+ songs on each album.

3.) Since there are so many people that will be put on the albums, we should donate all funds towards charity. Otherwise, everyone would get only $10 or so for condoms and electricity bills.

4.) The list of genres for each album can include:

- Heartwarming, serious themed album based around the orchestral, folk, jazz, solos, and classical genres."
- Upbeat, dance/grindcore themed album based around Dubstep, Drum N Bass, progressive, and trance."
- Hardcore, brutal themed album based around metal, rock, face melters, and others."
- Chill, visual themed album based around ambient, pop, drone, 8-bit, and experimental/glitch.

5.) I am making a sign up thread to sign up in. Basically, this sign up thread will replace the originally intended contest thread. "signing up" means that you get a PM with a password to the private website where all the music will be posted. This site will contain all the contest Information, rules, and a place for submitting your final amazingly bodacious track. This will allow the audio community to hear and give their opinion on all the music submitted, but NOT allow outsiders to come in and download/steal the music! Since we are making 4 albums, 8CDs, and 120 songs all together... That's a lot of music to steal! Having a private password protected submission page just for us seems to be the right way to go.

HERE IS THE SIGNUP THREAD. <-- POST THERE IF YOU WANT TO JOIN SO I CAN PM YOU

So, all in all we will have two threads:

A signup thread
This thread for discussion

6.) Once the contest is over, a team of judges and I will use a judging sheet to determine which the best tracks are. This "judging sheet" wlll most likely be out of 100 points and will be judged based on Quality, Fit, Originality, e.t.c. Only we judges have to worry about this though! :)

7.) Everyone who doesn't make it in will then be allowed to submit their song on the NG Audio Portal for proper criticism and suggestions. The main reasoning behind letting EVERYONE submit a newly made piece is to give EVERYONE a chance at getting into this. If someone ends up working hard and not making it in, then at least they can say they tried their best and therefore improved!

8.)Each album will be designed by someone over on the art portal.

9.)Each album will be mastered and mixed properly from a professional quality technician over here.

10.) We can promote and sell this album in just more than the NG store! With proper research on security to prevent piracy, we can sell this album in Itunes, ReverbNation, e.t.c. but it will mainly be created for Newgrounds by Newgrounds ro promote the Newgrounds audio community and Newgrounds as a whole... NEWGROUNDS.

11.) It has been decided that everyone will produce a new track for the album and choose the best tracks made to put on the album. This way, everyone can get involved, receive critique, and develop online friendships along the way. It will really strengthen the community.

CURRENTLY I NEED VOLUNTEERS THAT WILL:

Help Judge
Help Promote

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-06 12:29:06

At 7/6/11 11:38 AM, djInTheDark wrote:
At 7/6/11 10:47 AM, joekuli wrote: I was curious do all we give you a charity we would like a portion to go to or are we deciding on specific charity?
No and Yes. We suggest charities we want the revenue to go to, and then when everyone has decided who they want to see get the money, a charity is chosen based on who wants said charity to receive it.

so should we start suggestioning or when we post our stuff on the private sever leave the charity we want in the description, if theres a description section for it.

also FKWAJP are you going to send out pm's to us any time soon....I signed up in the thread yesterday....just wondering.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-07 00:31:57

At 7/6/11 12:29 PM, joekuli wrote: so should we start suggestioning or when we post our stuff on the private sever leave the charity we want in the description, if theres a description section for it.

Right now - in this thread - is the time to propose charities.

At 7/5/11 11:23 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: MILESTONE REACHED!

Don't forget to account for all of the potential dropouts that may occur in the coming months as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-07 00:50:55

also FKWAJP are you going to send out pm's to us any time soon....I signed up in the thread yesterday....just wondering.

I send out PMs once every week or so :)

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-10 13:01:49

bump so people can see this and blah.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-10 13:19:16

I'll get back to this when i finish my zombie entry. :P Since it has to be in first.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd Featuring Ng Musicians! Join! 2011-07-10 23:26:25

I'm going to go ahead and start give comments on WIPs!

Sorry if I dont comment on EVERYONES. Keep in mind that there is an ass load of work I have to do here lmao.