00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackboyy123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

School: Why Bother?

3,383 Views | 49 Replies

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-25 23:49:50

Man, you just made me completely depressed about getting a job in electrical engineering. Oh well, I'm not letting this ruin it for me. I WILL SUCCEED

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-25 23:52:37

At 4/25/11 11:49 PM, mothballs wrote: Man, you just made me completely depressed about getting a job in electrical engineering. Oh well, I'm not letting this ruin it for me. I WILL SUCCEED

You'll get a job as an electrical engineer, there's no oversaturation of them in the market. At the very worst you might have to do it through the military which is still a good life and great money.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-25 23:54:57

At 4/25/11 11:52 PM, ih8dude wrote:
At 4/25/11 11:49 PM, mothballs wrote: Man, you just made me completely depressed about getting a job in electrical engineering. Oh well, I'm not letting this ruin it for me. I WILL SUCCEED
You'll get a job as an electrical engineer, there's no oversaturation of them in the market. At the very worst you might have to do it through the military which is still a good life and great money.

I guess that's true, thanks man. I think it's not nearly as bad as trying to become a teacher, those jobs are almost impossible to get.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-25 23:59:58

At 4/25/11 11:54 PM, mothballs wrote:
At 4/25/11 11:52 PM, ih8dude wrote:
I guess that's true, thanks man. I think it's not nearly as bad as trying to become a teacher, those jobs are almost impossible to get.

Oh for sure, a lot of my friends want to be music teachers. I love them to death but here in Michigan we only had 2 open positions in the state in the last 5 years. Engineering is something you can't do without a degree and truth be told it's hard as balls to get the degree. My sister just finished hers through the Navy and even though it took her 7 years of part time college she was hired almost immediately after her service requiremant was up and makes 6 figures.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 00:06:26

At 4/25/11 10:21 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: SUNY Oneonta upstate.

Both my parents went to SUNY Oneonta! Which leads me to the point of this thread. My mom majored in biology and my dad economics. After college my mom never got a job and started having children, while my dad had the same job he has had since high school.

My dad gradually moved up the company ladder and now has a respectable position. Would he have moved up the company without a college degree? Questionable. Who knows. But it didn't hurt him. And SUNY schools are real cheap so he didn't have that much to pay off.

So are college degrees worth it? Ehhhhhh. If my parents weren't paying for my college I know I wouldn't go because I live in New Jersey. The most expensive state for higher education in the country. One year of school costs over 25,000 without factoring in variable expenses.

I know it's wrong but I'm looking at it as a 4 year party since my parents are paying for it. I'm going to get good grades and all because that's what I gotta do to stay here but I'm not going to stress about the real world while I'm in my college bubble.

It depends on the person I suppose. If you know what you want and need a degree, go for it, but if your in my situation and your parents aren't paying, don't do it.

--------------- "Disrespect women and acquire currency" ---------------

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 00:07:22

My thoughts are that people only go to school for two things: stuff they love and genuinely love and stuff that they think will get them a job. And going to college for the right reasons still won't change the fact that it is a business now. A business that follows the same tricks as most others, preying on the hopes and misguided dreams of naive and trusting people. Every once in a while, you'll find that lucky guy that gets everything he wants, but most of us get screwed in the crossfire navigating from real life to how we want our life to go.

Finally! A Signature That is Not Legally Binding! My Suffering Is Over!

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 00:09:55

At 4/25/11 10:26 PM, Bees wrote:
At 4/25/11 10:25 PM, FrostMonarch wrote: why do these threads pop up every day?

how would you know, dink?

FrostMonarch
Sign-Up: 06/03/07

He's been around longer than you, buddy.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 00:24:05

At 4/26/11 12:07 AM, 1NerdUnderGod wrote: My thoughts are that people only go to school for two things: stuff they love and genuinely love and stuff that they think will get them a job. And going to college for the right reasons still won't change the fact that it is a business now. A business that follows the same tricks as most others, preying on the hopes and misguided dreams of naive and trusting people. Every once in a while, you'll find that lucky guy that gets everything he wants, but most of us get screwed in the crossfire navigating from real life to how we want our life to go.

You're painting with too broad of a brush. If college were a business they wouldn't restrict who gets in. With that said the "schools" you see advertised on most TV channels *cough* University of Phoenix *cough* do exactly what you say and even go a step further since student loan debt can be collected on even beyond bankruptcy. Not all schools are like that. A lot make little to know profit and really it's what you make of it. Nowhere else will you be able to get the internships, certifications, qualifications, and work with professors on ground breaking studies. But, some people have a 4 year beer and end up making a little less than a high school graduate.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 00:26:39

At 4/26/11 12:16 AM, Cootie wrote: School helps make sure that I can get a job that doesn't involve me working my ass off each and every day. And, in some cases such as history I like to gain new knowledge for the sake of having it. I also don't know too many jobs I could making a living off of and enjoy that doesn't involve college.

No arguments against gaining knowledge for the sake of having it. I do that all the time--not just in math but in numerous other areas too and that's why I spend a lot of time reading at libraries or in my room.

I already mentioned what I want to do anyway and that doesn't involve college. Also, even without a math degree, I have been successful in making $20/hour when I'm lucky enough. College has only burdened me financially and it's only going to get worse the longer I stay.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 02:44:51

Luckily for me I'm going to avoid the trap of university/college if I can, depends on what I want as a job though.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 02:47:00

At 4/25/11 10:26 PM, Bees wrote:
At 4/25/11 10:25 PM, FrostMonarch wrote: why do these threads pop up every day?

how would you know, dink?

i go to school but have no idea what i want to do with my life. art therapy, therapy, graphic design... im just going with the flow until i can move away.

Post count caring is for faggots go suck your stickam buttbuddies dicks

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 02:54:17

Degrees never got you a job, connections did, and college offers plenty of chances to make those connections with potential employers. Also sociology and math degrees are basically useless unless you are planning on teaching or have gotten a Ph.D in either.

bro at me come

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 03:21:56

At 4/25/11 11:00 PM, ThatShadyBlackGuy wrote: Why would you base someones observation of posts on his post count, you fucking retard?
God damn, this elitism based on post count is fucking retard.

Look at you, the user with 4 posts, obviously posting in a controversial thread, about controversial topics such as discrimination based on post counts; obviously about to start a flame war. Now, if you would still like to redeem yourself while you can, you can start by not supporting that person with 94 posts.
Also, the word retard does not make sense over here; it is more likely to be "retarded".

At 4/25/11 11:00 PM, ThatShadyBlackGuy wrote: Why would you base someones observation of posts on his post count, you fucking retard?
God damn, this elitism based on post count is fucking retarded.

Fixed.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 03:45:32

No you won't, you're bad at elementary math stuff and you struggled with SAT. Comprehending the physics and the mathematics of EE will be about impossible to you. Prepare to flunk out of college.

Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 13:32:38

Haha, who takes a sociology degree with a serious thought of getting a job with it afterwoulds?

At least attempt for a high school diploma, I know the allure of $20/hour seems wonderful now but if in 10 years time you're amounting to just $20/hour, my God, how wrong in life you've gone. I mean, $20/hour seems great for me now as I'm studying, it would keep me afloat. But if you told me I'd be earning that in 10 years time I'd jump off a fucking bridge.

Trust me, if you don't amount to the grades you know you're capable of then you'll regret it later in life.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 13:59:43

I'm starting a £16,000/year job on May 3rd, writing news content to increase Google hits for a variety of websites.

I graduated about 2 years ago with a degree in English Language and Creative Writing. I then shot off a few applications, became a bit disheartened by the lack of responses, and got a job in a bar for a year.

Then I did ANOTHER course, 9:30-5:30, for 20 weeks, and since it was too hard to do the course and continue barwork, my income was only what I could borrow off my parents. Not a penny off the Government or the State and no loans. Since then I've applied for more jobs and had a shit one for a week but now I've got one in the area I want to go in, and I can now progress up the career chain. Therefore, it was worth my while going through the rigmarole of education. And it was also great fun, and I learnt a lot. It also improved my creative writing significantly.

University was absolutely the best time of my life, in terms of freedom and money and spare time. I am, however, really looking forwards to getting my first paycheque, and I can't wait for the financial freedom that will bring, after almost a year of no money at all.

You've got to do a job and we're in a recession. If I didn't have a degree I would've stayed in barwork, which isn't really the most prestigious area and I would've still struggled for cash. Now, I can actually start doing what I want to do, aged 23.

I must say that having parents who could afford to help me go through all this education was also very beneficial. But it's not like my student loan is gaining much interest anyway.

It's also lucky that I went through when I did, because it'll be even more expensive for the next intake.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 14:03:43

At 4/25/11 10:25 PM, FrostMonarch wrote: No idea why we have to take an Algebra/trig class though.

Because its to teach you and then assess how well you can apply your knowledge to problems.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 14:25:56

Well, first of all, I don't think success should be measured only in money, and education shouldn't be measured in degrees. That is why I'm going to join the computer section in the army - you don't get degrees, but expirience, and you don't get paid that much (at least the first 3 years), but it's a really challanging and satisfing job. I know I'm doing something no one else can, and I'm helping my country - the money isn't important!

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 14:56:21

Become auto-didactic, it's fantastic.

Response to School: Why Bother? 2011-04-26 15:58:13

At 4/26/11 10:21 AM, Bees wrote:
At 4/25/11 11:06 PM, ThatShadyBlackGuy wrote: The odd part is
thats great you completely ignored my point you little dumbshit

But you pointed out his post count even though it has nothing to do with the amount of time he spends lurking