00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

extradoodley just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Department of Defense

379,983 Views | 10,534 Replies

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-14 18:32:59

At 5/12/06 11:55 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 5/12/06 03:04 PM, Wylo wrote: What do you think of the idea of closing this thread and
starting a new thread with a proper first post?
A fresh start huh?

Well, this thread does have 380 pages of history dating back to April '04 ... more than 2 years... That's gotta count for something right? A new topic might not be a bad idea though

- perhaps a few NGDD changes are in order - maybe the existing dept. heads can work together to come up with a revised set of rules and requirements for membership - define a purpose and make it all as clear as possible.

A little structure might be a good thing - in addition, maybe a NGDD insignia that each member can place in thier sig-pic. Something small and unobtrusive but still easily recognizable.

I'll come up with a sample or two with a better explanation and a few more ideas as well.

- Look for another post soon.

I'm not sure about closing this thread. It has so much history. The club has evolved over the years and is what it is due to the 380 pages thus far created. Ditching such a lineage would be a crime against humanity.

However re-invention is a very sound idea, and will attract new blood, as well as motivating current members. Also don't forget we have the private board for discussions, here.

Sorry for the prolonged absence, exams, work and women have distracted me, shame on me. I will try to be more active, but i can't promise, one particular woman is taking up a very large amount of my time at the moment.

Keep up the good work people!

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-14 18:36:33

Maybe a better link to the boards would be appropriate, enjoy. Serves me right for making a post while fucked off my face.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-14 23:50:08

At 5/12/06 11:55 PM, LJCoffee wrote: - perhaps a few NGDD changes are in order - maybe the existing dept. heads can work together to come up with a revised set of rules and requirements for membership - define a purpose and make it all as clear as possible.

Should each department set their own rules and requirements?

A little structure might be a good thing - in addition, maybe a NGDD insignia that each member can place in thier sig-pic. Something small and unobtrusive but still easily recognizable.

That sounds good. We just need some to design it and something.

At 5/14/06 06:32 PM, Praporshchik wrote: However re-invention is a very sound idea, and will attract new blood, as well as motivating current members. Also don't forget we have the private board for discussions, here.

Yes for re-invention we could reference this thread as part our history.

Sorry for the prolonged absence, exams, work and women have distracted me, shame on me. I will try to be more active, but i can't promise, one particular woman is taking up a very large amount of my time at the moment.

YAY! He's back!

At 5/14/06 09:54 PM, -Ocelot- wrote: Sure I'll join, but what do we do here? "Protect Newgrounds" as Wylo told me?

Yup, that about sums it up. However, we are currently in some turmoil due to the lack of club activity. But welcome to the club! Now would you like to be in the Department of Internal Affairs, Flash, BBS, or Audio?

I think that creating a new thread with a proper first post would be best for the club. Things that will be included in the post will be the clear statement purpose, a mention of this thread, club structure, the NGDD insignia, and the NG mechandise reward system. Please post anything else you think need to be included.

Subsequent posts will include the member list with the rules and requirements, a gran opening competion, and posts will be made by the department heads summerizing their own departments.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-15 02:09:43

At 5/14/06 11:50 PM, Wylo wrote: I think that creating a new thread with a proper first post would be best for the club. Things that will be included in the post will be the clear statement purpose, a mention of this thread, club structure, the NGDD insignia, and the NG mechandise reward system. Please post anything else you think need to be included.

Subsequent posts will include the member list with the rules and requirements, a gran opening competion, and posts will be made by the department heads summerizing their own departments.

To be honest I agree, the 380 pages is awesome but it might scare off new users. I was looking through all the old comps that happened and I liked the idea of one where you got points for every b/p and review you made that day. Does anyone else like it?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-15 14:33:50

At 5/14/06 11:50 PM, Wylo wrote: I think that creating a new thread with a proper first post would be best for the club. Things that will be included in the post will be the clear statement purpose, a mention of this thread, club structure, the NGDD insignia, and the NG mechandise reward system. Please post anything else you think need to be included.

I have an additional idea that you may want to take into consideration.

One of the main problems with the club is that it evolves and changes over time, and finding out the state of affairs of the club compared to the first posts can be difficult. I think that important information about the club needs to placed on some kind of website that can be updated as the club evolves. The link to the site would be in the first post of the new thread.

This way new members won't have to wade through the entire thread to find out all the important and current information.

What do you guys think?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-15 17:34:18

At 5/15/06 02:09 AM, WastedWizard wrote: To be honest I agree, the 380 pages is awesome but it might scare off new users. I was looking through all the old comps that happened and I liked the idea of one where you got points for every b/p and review you made that day. Does anyone else like it?

Yes I think we'll bring that old system back. But the points will be redeemable for NG merchandise, and/or a promotion in the ranks.

At 5/15/06 02:33 PM, DelboyDylan wrote: I have an additional idea that you may want to take into consideration.

Ok, so in the first post, we will say something like "For more detailed up to-date information about the NGDD including contests, member lists, and activities, please head over to the NGDD board."

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-15 17:35:52

I would like to join please. As a member of the Elite Guard Barracks and I have been here for a few months, I would love to join.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-15 17:43:11

At 5/15/06 05:34 PM, Wylo wrote:

5/15/06 02:33 PM, DelboyDylan wrote:

I have an additional idea that you may want to take into consideration.
Ok, so in the first post, we will say something like "For more detailed up to-date information about the NGDD including contests, member lists, and activities, please head over to the NGDD board."

That would work, but you don't neccessarily have to link to the board. Everytime a board has been set up for the NGDD it is busy for a few weeks to a couple of months, but then people stop using it. That may be because people forget it's there, or it could be people think that we don't need one.

I think a poll is in order. Do you guys think we need an external board like this one, or do you think a plain website will do the job?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-16 12:28:38

At 5/15/06 05:43 PM, DelboyDylan wrote:
That would work, but you don't neccessarily have to link to the board. Everytime a board has been set up for the NGDD it is busy for a few weeks to a couple of months, but then people stop using it. That may be because people forget it's there, or it could be people think that we don't need one.

I think a poll is in order. Do you guys think we need an external board like this one, or do you think a plain website will do the job?

A forum has more interactive elements and as long as it is edited well I think it would be great.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-16 13:16:56

At 5/15/06 02:09 AM, WastedWizard wrote: To be honest I agree, the 380 pages is awesome but it might scare off new users. I was looking through all the old comps that happened and I liked the idea of one where you got points for every b/p and review you made that day. Does anyone else like it?

Yeah i wish that would actually happen. But by the looks of things its not going to happen anytime soon.

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-16 13:28:32

At 5/16/06 01:16 PM, broncofan144 wrote: Yeah i wish that would actually happen. But by the looks of things its not going to happen anytime soon.

Don't be so sure if the club starts up again we could get a lot of new members.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-16 13:37:57

At 5/16/06 01:28 PM, WastedWizard wrote: Don't be so sure if the club starts up again we could get a lot of new members.

Yeah i know it could. But i was talking about getting exp points every time you wrote a revies or you got a b/p point. But hey i hope this club starts up again.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-17 09:55:07

Don't start a new thread. :((((((((((((((((

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-17 19:30:34

At 5/17/06 09:55 AM, dave wrote: Don't start a new thread. :((((((((((((((((

Why?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 09:48:54

At 5/17/06 07:30 PM, Wylo wrote:
At 5/17/06 09:55 AM, dave wrote: Don't start a new thread. :((((((((((((((((
Why?

Too much history. A new thread would be the same way after 380 pages anyway. We want to see the thread get bigger and older. Well, I do.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 18:18:24

At 5/18/06 09:48 AM, Look_At_Sign_Up_Date wrote: Too much history. A new thread would be the same way after 380 pages anyway. We want to see the thread get bigger and older. Well, I do.

The main reaseon that I want to start a new thread is to have a proper first page. Something that doesn't just say that we are a bunch of people and that muffins are good and that clocks are bad (which is still true).

Like I said, we can still provide a link back to this thread, showing that we are one of the oldest clubs on NG and we have 380 pages under our belt. There's no real point to continuing this thread if we can't grow it at least one page in a week.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 20:17:41

Yeah but hey if alot of new members knew of this club then they would probably join and it would become popular again.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 20:21:23

At 5/18/06 08:17 PM, broncofan144 wrote: Yeah but hey if alot of new members knew of this club then they would probably join and it would become popular again.

In that case, i guess i'll join.

Btw Bronco, this is Ed.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 20:37:35

At 5/18/06 08:21 PM, X-Box_Killer wrote: Yeah but hey if alot of new members knew of this club then they would probably join and it would become popular again.

Yeah i know its you ed. I could tell that by your sig. Well anyway welcome to the NGDD.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 21:01:13

At 5/18/06 08:37 PM, broncofan144 wrote: Yeah i know its you ed. I could tell that by your sig. Well anyway welcome to the NGDD.

Thanks for the welcome. So, what's been going on in here lately?

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-18 22:37:06

At 5/18/06 08:17 PM, broncofan144 wrote: Yeah but hey if alot of new members knew of this club then they would probably join and it would become popular again.

I would like to join as well, if it would be possible.

Also, if I am allowed to join, than I agree with Wylo's idea of a new thread. The first page kept me from joining until I saw the recent posts.

Also, I take it the main idea from the first post changed over the years, what exactly do we do here now?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-19 00:49:31

I'm game to join. I've been around NG for a lilttle whille now, but have never been active with posting much of anything. I read the first page about muffins and clocks and the last page about regrouping. If you're looking for new blood, I'm interested...just not good with computers.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-19 09:50:21

At 5/18/06 10:37 PM, Agak wrote

I would like to join as well, if it would be possible.

Cool we have three department's flash, audio and BBS to choose from.

Also, if I am allowed to join, than I agree with Wylo's idea of a new thread. The first page kept me from joining until I saw the recent posts.

Ok thanks for your input

Also, I take it the main idea from the first post changed over the years, what exactly do we do here now?

Well we ar4e going through a period of change at the moment so its sketchy at the moment.

At 5/19/06 12:49 AM, arianna1 wrote: I'm game to join. I've been around NG for a lilttle whille now, but have never been active with posting much of anything. I read the first page about muffins and clocks and the last page about regrouping. If you're looking for new blood, I'm interested...just not good with computers.

You don't need to know computers just answer a question, which department, Flash, Audo or BBS?

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-19 16:13:25

Gee, thanks for accepting me. Well, I'd probobly go under the portal department, so what exactly do we do in the departments. Sorry if I sound like a noob :(

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-19 19:51:19

Cool! Then I would go for Portal, although I'm not real sure what exactly the question is. I have never listened to any of the audio files. Since I don't do flash myself, I've not had a need to go search for audio. As this is my third post to the BBS, I am a total noob here. I go to the Portal every day, however and watch as much as I have time for.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-20 02:40:07

Welcome to all the newcomers. If you didn't already know, we are currently re-organizing the club - most likely creating a new thread for a fresh start.

Here's what I have so far for the first post of the new thread, comments and thoughts on it would be appreciated. Things in italics are things that I would like the most to have input on.

The Newgrounds Department of Defense

Welcome to the NGDD! Our purpose is to band together to serve Newgrounds. We have had a long history of 380 pages and are one of the oldest

surviving clubs/crews on NG. We have decided to start and continue using this thread as our active thread to create

more interest in the NGDD and to clarify what our purpose and activities consist of in the first page.

Activities
The NGDD will have many competitions, b/p, Flash, audio, review, random quizzes, etc. When you participate in a

competition, you will earn a certain amount of points depending on your performance in the competition. These

points will be able to be redeemed for Newgrounds merchandise

or a promotion within the club. Other ways to earn points is to do various things for the NGDD, such as running a

competition.

Club Structure
There are four main departments: The Department of Flash, The Department of BBS, The Department of Audio, and the

Department of Internal Affairs. A member of the NGDD will be able to join any one of the departments. Each

department is headed by a leader (already selected from the previous thread) and after this post each leader will

post what their departments purposes are (and the expected duties of their members). There are no

requirements to join the NGDD, but you will be automatically dishonourably discharged and lose all lost if a post is

not made in two weeks without prior notice. Also, all new members will be ranked as Privates for fifteen days after

which, they will be promoted by their Department leader to what they deem fit.

For up-to-date news on activities, member lists, the point system, and much more, please visit our private forum(website?).

We hope you enjoy your stay at the Newgrounds Department of Defense!
[insert our slogan here]

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-20 02:43:04

Eh, I guess something went wrong when I copied it over. I'll try it again.

The Newgrounds Department of Defense

Welcome to the NGDD! Our purpose is to band together to serve Newgrounds. We have had a long history of 380 pages and are one of the oldest surviving clubs/crews on NG. We have decided to start and continue using this thread as our active thread to create more interest in the NGDD and to clarify what our purpose and activities consist of in the first page.

Activities
The NGDD will have many competitions, b/p, Flash, audio, review, random quizzes, etc. When you participate in a competition, you will earn a certain amount of points depending on your performance in the competition. These points will be able to be redeemed for Newgrounds merchandise or a promotion within the club. Other ways to earn points is to do various things for the NGDD, such as running a competition.

Club Structure
There are four main departments: The Department of Flash, The Department of BBS, The Department of Audio, and the Department of Internal Affairs. A member of the NGDD will be able to join any one of the departments. Each department is headed by a leader (already selected from the previous thread) and after this post each leader will post what their departments purposes are (and the expected duties of their members). There are no requirements to join the NGDD, but you will be automatically dishonourably discharged and lose all lost if a post is not made in two weeks without prior notice. Also, all new members will be ranked as Privates for fifteen days after which, they will be promoted by their Department leader to what they deem fit.

For up-to-date news on activities, member lists, the point system, and much more, please visit our private forum(website?).

We hope you enjoy your stay at the Newgrounds Department of Defense!
[insert our slogan here]

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-21 00:44:17

The competitions sound like fun and also a good way to see more of NG. I am prime example of one who has been in NG for about a year and a half and am only now venturing much beyond the portal. Heck, it took me weeks to realize one could *vote* on entries and how to do that.
It would be lovely to see the department descriptions and expectations/duties for each before deciding which to join.
If I am not online everyday, it means I am either deathly ill or my computer has died. Given that I live in PA, it could also mean we are in the midst of another lengthy (read 'days-long') power failure. This happens quite a bit in the summer.

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-21 00:49:31

Hey guys! Could I join? I tried to join earlier, but was looked over. This place seems like a great club.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to NG Department of Defense 2006-05-21 13:35:44

At 5/21/06 12:49 AM, -MetalDart- wrote: Hey guys! Could I join? I tried to join earlier, but was looked over. This place seems like a great club.

Ok just choose a department, BBS, Flash or Audio.

Anyway just a couple of questions, when do you want the department purpose done for? and also I had an idea. I understand the departments have to be freinds but how about some competition between the departments in these comps?

Everything else in that report sounded great.