00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zaetalos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best Games Ever?

1,506 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 11:13:37

If you could list the most important games in history, what would you put? It would be nice if you could explain why you think each game is important.

Also, if you want to troll this thread, please troll it well.

My favorites are:

1. Tennis for Two - First game evar!
2. Pong - First mainstream video game.
3. Donkey Kong - Excellent level design, and a lot of situations with a great risk to reward ratio.
4. Super Mario Bros. - (Pretty much) Started what I think is the most lucrative video game series ever.
5. Everquest - First mainstream MMO, amirite?
6. Halo 3 - Most played online game that isn't an MMO.
7. Half-Life 2, Halo 3 (again), Halo ODST, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Deus Ex - For showing that FPS are more than plotless gore-filled games about shooting demons while traversing through identical rooms, and that an FPS can have a well-thought out story and just be really cerebral.
8. The Sims 2 - For being the best-selling PC game of all time (Expansion Packs included), as well as one of the best PC games of all time. Also, I think it has the most mods/ custom content of any game.
9. Metal Gear Solid - Reinventing the stealth genre.
10. Grand Theft Auto 3 - Proved how to show a living, breathing city in a game. It inspired Oblivion, Mirror's Edge, some Need for Speed games, Mafia and Mafia II, and even Zelda: Twilight Princes and the Wind Waker.

It's okay, bitch about it all you want.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 12:27:13

BioShock for being the first Australian dev'd game that didn't suck

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 12:31:43

Tetris, Super Mario 64, Left 4 Dead 2, Quake III, Halo: Combat Evolved PC, Burnout Revenge, Mario Party 3 and 5 (yeah...), Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie, and Super Smash Bros. Melee are some of my all-time favorites. I consider them "the best." Of course, these are just a few of the titles that I really like.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 12:37:39

Super Mario World was good.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 12:37:40

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 13:12:54

At 4/11/10 12:27 PM, Jesse-Rai wrote: BioShock for being the first Australian dev'd game that didn't suck

It's Australian!? That really blows my mind. It's one of the most American games out there, and it's made by an Aussie team. Whoa.

Similary, I was shocked to find out that GTA was made in Scotland.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 13:39:28

God of war???or Warcraft

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 13:41:16

10.Resident evil for reinventing survival horror
9.Alone in the dark for creating survival horror
8.Dead rising For making fall in love with zombie games agian
7.Fallout 3 just a great game
6.Hitman blood money the best of the series
5.Mass Effect 2 better everything then the frist one
4.The Orange Box Five Games One Box
3.Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas In my opinion the best in the series
2.Super Mario bros if this game never was made i would not be playing video games today
1.Metal Gear soild 3 Troll and Scream at me all you want This game is my favorite Because of the survival,story,combat,cameo,humor and every thing else

I don't hate anybody. even if you occasionally piss me off.

The Man who made my Sig

I am a huge brony.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 13:43:45

lots of great games.. but mines a n awesome 1, bad company.(1) this is becuz yu ca ngo almost anywer on ur own free willl.!!! not blocked in, only by artilery.another reason is how easy to take down tanks.. did u know yu can take down a tank in 10 sec. or less with a power tool. the final reason is that it always keeps up combat and doesnt end it immieditly, forces will keep coming at a realistic rate.

Hey you!!! u can read and uve lost a few seconds of your life.so sorry

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 13:47:12

At 4/11/10 01:12 PM, Vladith wrote:
At 4/11/10 12:27 PM, Jesse-Rai wrote: BioShock for being the first Australian dev'd game that didn't suck
It's Australian!? That really blows my mind. It's one of the most American games out there, and it's made by an Aussie team. Whoa.

Similary, I was shocked to find out that GTA was made in Scotland.

Really? You would think that will all that Austrailia did, it would suck. Maybe they weren't in Austrialia at the time of development. And I am also shocked to hear that GTA is made in scotland. So either Rockstar or Rockstar north is based there.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-11 14:37:16

Mario 64! Mario Galaxy! Burnout 3! Mario bros 3!

GO WEEGEE! :)

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-12 17:17:33

At 4/11/10 01:41 PM, Mrmongooseman wrote: 10.Resident evil for reinventing survival horror
9.Alone in the dark for creating survival horror

Well, actually, Alone in the Dark didn't create survival horror. A Japanese game for the NES, about a woman who killed her daughter, did. Alone in the Dark basically created the common tropes of survival horror, like flashlights and whatnot. Resi did reinvent it, though, you're right.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-12 18:54:31

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Star Fox yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 06:26:21

I agree on GTA3, no doubt. Such a huge step between 2-3, and it led the way to the video game standard we have come to expect.

It's not Truth that matters, but Victory

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 08:03:37

At 4/11/10 12:37 PM, letiger wrote: Super Mario World was good.

I agree, I spent many weeks on that game when I was young and the map was fun to.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 08:11:53

1. Tales of Symphonia - Gamecube
2. Tales of Vesperia - Xbox360
3. Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the new world - Wii
4. Racedriver: Grid
5. Bioshock 2 - Xbox360
6. Bioshock 1 - Xbox360
7. Eternal Sonata - Xbox360
8. Cooking Mama - Wii
9. Any Pokemon gameboy game: best = Yellow version. - Gameboy / Color / Advance / Ds
10. Pokemon Colosseum - Gamecube

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 16:06:20

I see that we have a...
JRPG fan

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 16:22:25

1:super smash bros brawl!
2:sonic the hedgehog(1991)
3:super mario galaxy
4:pokemon
5:sonic unleashed
X out!

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 16:39:00

Wow.....Oblivion is definently NOT an FPS.

Steam: Kman

Sig by YenMuffin

"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 16:49:02

Devil may cry, because it started the hack n slash genre which features the most intense melee fighting action out of any genre of games.

Now we have all these stupid kids thinking that God of war started the genre.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 17:07:58

Megaman 2

/thread

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 19:00:43

Metal Gear Solid, all of them

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 19:37:49

Resident. Evil. one. THE Zombie/demon game!

It's okay... I won't make you lose THE GAME...

(You see whut I did thar? Herp-a-Derp)

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-13 21:49:13

At 4/13/10 04:39 PM, kman355 wrote: Wow.....Oblivion is definently NOT an FPS.

Sorry. A better term would be 'First Person Adventure'.
I've heard that used now, as games like GTA, Gears of War (Both fucking ironic, I know), Call of Duty, and even the original Doom have given first-person games a sort of stigma.
Also, it's a more broad term.

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-14 01:17:05

Top 5 games ever

1.Plumbers dont wear ties
2. Awesome possum
3. Tetris
4. Megaman
5. Wizard of oz

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-14 03:24:08

Here's some picks that don't make me want to curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth. Though I'm probably forgetting a lot.

1. Tie: Super Mario Bros.- It's the first modern video game. It invented much of the basic formal language of the medium that we recognize today, and the methods by which developers relate that language to the player. Not to mention that it single-handedly saved the video game industry from oblivion, legitimized the console market, and was the best-selling game of all time by a large margin for over two decades (fuck you, Wii Sports). Pretty much every game since in a large number of genres can trace some of its roots back to Super Mario Bros. Well, that and/or...

1. Tie: The Legend of Zelda- If Mario revolutionized the "how" of gaming, Zelda revolutionized the "why." It wasn't the first game where the main object was to complete a story as opposed to getting the high score, but it was the first to do so with an appropriate sense of scale. It was an epic adventure. It looked like it, it sounded like it, and most importantly, it played like it. To perhaps an even greater extent than Mario did, this was a game that completely redefined the notion of what a video game could do. Any game that claims to engross the player in an expansive world full of secrets to discover owes something to Zelda. Hell, most games that try to tell any kind of story owe something to Zelda.

2. Super Mario 64- Nobody knew how to make a game work in a three-dimensional space until Super Mario 64 showed them how. Ever manipulated the camera to see where you were going? Ever intuitively landed a jump or some other maneuver in a 3-D space? Ever used a fucking analog stick? You have Super Mario 64 to thank. Not to mention that the game shook up traditional notions of progression structure and level design and was the first game to perfect fluidity of character movement.

3. Pong- You gotta start somewhere. True, it's technically not the first video game ever, but it's certainly the first with any kind of longevity or wide influence. Plus, it took gaming out of the arcade and into the home, birthing the console market. Put simply, there would be no video games without Pong.

4. Tie: Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life- There have basically been two (somewhat opposing) schools of thought in mainstream video game storytelling over the last decade (there's a third, arguably better one that mainstream developers mostly don't utilize, but whatever, that's for another thread), and these two games (released at around the same time...coincidence?) are more or less their founders. In the MGS style, story and gameplay are mostly kept entirely separate from each other, with gameplay switching off the running time with cutscenes that carry most of the weight of conveying the story. In the Half-Life style, the gameplay and the story run parallel to each other, with the player always in control in a story that unfolds at the player's own pace and level of interest in the smaller details. I'll be shocked if you can find me more than one narrative game from a major publisher released in the past ten years that doesn't follow one of these two formats. Like, let's say maybe a game where the gameplay mechanics and the story are actually inherently intertwined with each other. I say "more than one" because...

5. Shadow of the Colossus- ...of this. Oh, how I wish this game could be sitting pretty at #2, The Godfather to Mario and Zelda's Citizen Kane. Unfortunately, the industry hasn't learned nearly as much from this game (and probably Ico, too, for that matter, though I haven't played it yet so I can't make any judgments) as it needs to. Even so, SotC is still the best argument out there for video games as their own legitimate art form, and pretty much the only one on the shortlist to come from a major publisher.

That's all for now, maybe I'll do more if I feel like it. I seem to have incidentally mainly covered importance in the development of games as a storytelling medium above all else for some reason, which leaves out a lot of very important stuff. Oh well.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Best Games Ever? 2010-04-14 04:45:27

My top 10 would be:
1. Half Life 2
2. GTA 3
3. Bioshock
4. Metal Slug
5. Spyro 2
6. Tetris
7. Space Invaders
8. Fallout 3
9. Team Fortress 2