00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Static73 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Escapist March Madness

5,213 Views | 70 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 13:33:42

At 4/3/10 01:31 PM, Madnath75 wrote:
At 4/3/10 01:24 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: This isn't about a contest anymore, this is the first large scale internet war between gamers.
The Turbine thing last year was bad, this time it's war!

Also, 3500 to Zynga

Even more news : Zynga votes are dropping due to spamming in the Escapist Forums

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 13:46:09

At 4/3/10 01:39 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Justice, perhaps? Valve may still win if the twitter votes are enough.

15/1 to valve on twitter, but the Zynga votes have gone down by 150 so far...

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 14:47:10

At 4/3/10 08:22 AM, Dark-critical wrote: This is not fucking possible, they beat Rockstar AND Square Enix??!?!
UNITE BROTHERS, VALVE IS THE LAST STRONGHOLD, KEEP UP THE VOTES!!!

we still have bioware or blizzard. (bioware will win)

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 14:48:22

At 4/3/10 02:47 PM, fryman94 wrote: we still have bioware or blizzard. (bioware will win)

I don't see Bioware beating Zynga and if Blizzard is against Zynga, it'll be like Aliens Vs Predator (who ever wins, we all lose).

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 14:53:12

At 4/3/10 02:48 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 4/3/10 02:47 PM, fryman94 wrote: we still have bioware or blizzard. (bioware will win)
I don't see Bioware beating Zynga and if Blizzard is against Zynga, it'll be like Aliens Vs Predator (who ever wins, we all lose).

lol, but still, if zynga wins the battle v.s VALVe, gamers will boycott the ecapist.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:01:08

guys, srly this is the most intelligent words i ever heard in history:
Lost one

Honestly. it's up to the voters. But it doesn't matter. Win or lose, valve is still better than Zynga. Hands down. If Facebookers can't realize that. then it's their loss, not ours.

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showth read.php?t=4621

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:02:09

At 4/3/10 02:53 PM, fryman94 wrote: lol, but still, if zynga wins the battle v.s VALVe, gamers will boycott the ecapist.

And nothing of value was lost

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:13:58

At 4/3/10 02:53 PM, fryman94 wrote:
lol, but still, if zynga wins the battle v.s VALVe, gamers will boycott the ecapist.

Why should these "gamers" boycot the site? Maybe they (the Escapist) made a mistake in their easy account setup through Facebook. Still, punishing the site because of this contest is silly and I doubt many will follow through anyway.

If VALVe loses to Zynga it's unfortunate because VALVe is the superior developer, but it's really just because the people who are voting Zynga are, for the most part, uninitiated with the more "serious" aspects of computer/video games and with what game development really is.

It's like they're asking people who belong to a Vin Diesel forum what is the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time, I don't know what they'd choose, but I do know it's going to be wrong.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:18:15

news guys!!!:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/r ead/532.184375-Poll-Round-5-Field-of-Fou r-7-Zynga-vs-1-Valve?page=426

look erana's post please, it's a resume of the valve works.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:42:14

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUXK zynga won, everyone get your torches and pitchforks ready, we will destroy zynga FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

you'll never be the man your mother was! click this you faggot!

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:43:32

At 4/3/10 03:42 PM, MALICE24 wrote: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUXK zynga won, everyone get your torches and pitchforks ready, we will destroy zynga FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

Sorry, what? It's not ended.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:50:00

At 4/3/10 03:43 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 4/3/10 03:42 PM, MALICE24 wrote: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUXK zynga won, everyone get your torches and pitchforks ready, we will destroy zynga FOR THE MOTHERLAND!
Sorry, what? It's not ended.

we will still storm zyngas castle anyway FOR THE MOTHERLAND AGAIN

you'll never be the man your mother was! click this you faggot!

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 15:54:27

or... vote for bioware for the final round, don't vote for zynga, vote for bioware.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 16:11:25

GUISE!!!!!

the votings not closed!!!!!!!!!!!!, we still have a chance!!!!! (i think)

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 16:16:11

At 4/3/10 04:11 PM, fryman94 wrote: GUISE!!!!!

the votings not closed!!!!!!!!!!!!, we still have a chance!!!!! (i think)

"Spinwhiz:
Sorry about that guys, got my days flipped. Voting open until tomorrow at noon EST.

Continue the voting!"

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-03 23:40:25

At 4/3/10 07:22 AM, Master117chief wrote: I hope Bioware will win!
Vote for Bioware!

Did you just say that? IN A VALVE-PRO THREAD?
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bio-Ware is okay but Vlave has done way more and has better games. It will be be close, but even if they lose to Bioware, they'll get 2nd.

MOSKAU! MOSKAU! I EAT YOUR SANDVICHES! YOU SUCK! HA HA HA HA HA! HEY!

Characters from left to right--

YTR, Reinforcments,Pants Robot,Kerezon,David the Sauce,Semelon and Me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 10:18:07

At 4/3/10 11:40 PM, ShoopDaToaster wrote: Did you just say that? IN A VALVE-PRO THREAD?

...Valve-pro thread? God no. If anything, this is just anti-Zynga, but this is just a general topic for this event, nothing to actually target and support any particular developer in particular.

Besides, Rockstar North has been eliminated so my favourite has gone.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 10:52:51

I'm sad to say that I'm pretty sure Zynga is gonna win... I don't want them to win, I just feel that some where, in the deepest part of the internet, someone is able to get people to vote for it! It's a sad sad day in the video game world.

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 13:58:37

We fucking did it guys. Valve won.

The Escapist March Madness

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 14:00:25

At 4/4/10 10:52 AM, xthesnarfx wrote: I'm sad to say that I'm pretty sure Zynga is gonna win... I don't want them to win, I just feel that some where, in the deepest part of the internet, someone is able to get people to vote for it! It's a sad sad day in the video game world.

last I checked (which was around 11:38 am today), Valve was up by 3,000 votes. I think Valve won

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 15:25:49

At 4/4/10 01:58 PM, Struggle wrote: We fucking did it guys. Valve won.

What a relief. Now let's go spam their comments page on Facebook!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 21:20:09

At 4/4/10 09:16 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Good. I mean, Zynga shouldn't have been close to winning anything really.

It's all a bunch of crappy games a 13 years old (Tom Fulp) could've programmed.

That's what annoyed me the most about it winning the second and third round. Infinity Ward and Rockstar North has achieved so much more than Zynga has, while respecting it's fans and working with them instead of against them.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 21:51:06

Oh cool, double post.

Looks the final is upon us. This will be an interesting and fun match. Valve vs Bioware.

Valve who has advanced the FPS dramatically, reaching out to gamers and giving them huge hugs. They've made their games as mod friendly as possible which has made a very large mod scene, without hurting the possibility of piracy occurring. There's well over a hundred games being actively developed or have been created for games that will only cost you about £20 on Steam. If that isn't a bargain, I don't know what is. They've also been the centre point of competitive and popular gaming, from Counter Strike 1.6 and Source (which I had the opportunity to talk to an all girl Russian Counter Strike 1.6 clan about a month ago) to Team Fortress 2, which they are still adding updates to it. So who knows? Maybe they'll slap some new weapons for some classes on it if they win. Maybe a fucking Engineer weapon at last.

They've also created Steam, a product which allows you to buy cheap (although sometimes more expensive than retail) and convenient games which you likely would of never known of otherwise. Killing Floor? Mount And Blade? Zeno Clash?! I doubt you would of even heard of those games if you don't have Steam. The program allows you to download the games anywhere you want and sometimes even tracks your progress through Steam Cloud (get a weapon on Team Fortress 2 on one computer? Of course you'll still have it on another). They also let you download the source code for games and servers, which makes it an easily accessible point for your modding and server needs.

On the other hand, you have Bioware. They have revolutionised RPG games. They started out of Baulder's Gate, a game that prided it's self on holding D&D rules true to computer games. However, they spun off into Neverwinter Nights, a game with a ton of depth and still holding very true to D&D rules. Not afraid at all that the rules may be seen as too complex to most gamers. They then created Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, a game some gamers still play today. This was followed by a simple game which was seen as hit-or-miss, Jade Empire. Sure it wasn't well loved, but it was Bioware's attempt to run with simplicity and try to get to the mainstream. They then reclaimed their crown as a heavy weight again with Mass Effect, a very well created game that created controversy after taking their depth a bit too far, in some people's eyes of course. To others, well, good masturbation material I guess.

Since then, they not only created a sequel of the game which I've heard is very good (I've got the game, just need to recomplete Mass Effect so I can have a good character to continue with), but created Dragon Age: Origins. This was a game that surprised a lot of people. It at least surprised me when I made a rogue elf playing through the beginning. I doubt many people expected how dark the game was generally. Most fantasy games have been viewed as being optimistic and predictable in their story from beginning to end and the game play. Sure the game has been simplified to the basic three classes, but this only served to create a tree system. Not to mention, who the fuck expects to watch the humans waltz their way into your little under-city, disrupt your wedding, steal your bride so they can rape her and fuck back off, especially since the humans were part of the government of the city.

It'll be a close match personally, it's more of a clash between FPS and RPG, which couldn't be more of a violent clash if they tried. Especially if you boil it down to the stereotypical Ritalin-popping, unintelligent, ignorant, loud, ego-maniacal FPS shooter vs the nerdy, unsocial, pathetic, polar-weighing (either really thin or really fat), weak, unhealthy, D&D obsessed RPG player. Hell, I can't help but imagine the time when a guy who I know is very into Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare series called World Of Warcraft players unsocial husks (obviously not his words) who claimed "if you asked a World Of Warcraft player if they want to go to town, they'll just stare at you blankly and then go back to their game". As tempting as it was to try to match him at making over-the-top stereotypes, I figured him being a chav who was deeply racist and supports the BNP was a good enough statement and to use him as an example of the typical Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare player was a nice enough stereotype.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 22:10:59

At 4/4/10 09:51 PM, Lost-Chances wrote: post

Well, I enjoyed Bioware's games more (Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2), but VALVe's games lasted (and still last) much longer...I really don't know, they're two of my five favorite devs...gonna have to think about it.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-04 22:22:08

I've got the same problem as Heavytank, I mean, I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, but frankly I've played almost 500 hours of tf2 and really enjoyed Portal, as well as Valve inspiring Gmod (Another 220 hours).

The question is whether I go for something I'll remember (Plot of Mass Effect games) Or something which lasted a long time (Team fortress 2, Steam).

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-05 19:33:26

Valve 50.4% (4502)
BioWare 49.6% (4437)
As expected, it's super-close.
By the way, I voted VALVe after a long session of deep thinking.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-05 21:41:06

After a rather short thought, I'm throwing my vote to Valve. I feel they've done more to not only create games, but advance gaming society as a whole. From making games with constant updates, to creating a very nice game program/shop to aiding with mod development by allowing Source to not only be a free engine, but an easy to use one as well.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-05 21:53:11

Its down to bioware vs. valve
as of right now:

valve: 52%

bioware: 48%

good thing valve has the steam community on their side.

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-05 21:55:46

ugg, Bioware vs Valve. I wished it wouldn't come to this. I love both companies so much. I play fps and rpg's all the time they are my 2 most played genres. I'm leaning on biowares side due to how amazing mass effect 2 is, but then again, valve has the awesomeness that is the Gmod

Gamertag: Catspirit123

home forum

BBS Signature

Response to The Escapist March Madness 2010-04-05 23:07:32

Flipped a coin, came up tails = Bioware.
Was a tough choice, though Bioware is in it's prime right now and Valve has had their time to shine so I guess I can know that either way I'm still voting for a good developer.