00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GhostiePlus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving one of my pieces.

89,449 Views | 813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-07 16:43:46

At 6/7/10 04:38 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 6/7/10 04:34 PM, Mabelma wrote: I am being original, please post something about the art. Not the idea.
I think he's referring to the fact that you're using a Sock Boy template and just designing a character, that's also based off another character, Iron man.

It's for a contest, it's supposed to follow the template

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-07 16:45:47

At 6/7/10 04:34 PM, Mabelma wrote: I am being original, please post something about the art. Not the idea.

actually, the majority of your thread is fanart, so no your not, he means original characters, your own ideas

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-07 17:13:46

First off, it's going to be made as a 3d model of a sackboy so this guys first need to look like sackboys so the 3d looks like sackboy. This is not fan-art because I'm not making it as fan-art, this is a proposal for Media Molecule.

Second, I only have like 5 or 6 fan arts in here te rest is all OC count them corectly Ash.

Third I did not make ironman nor did I make sackboy but I'm making a sackboy costume from Ironman which in my head looks a little original.

Again, don't critic the idea. The thread is for improving ny art, not my ideas. I can make original stuff but I choose this project and I think it's only fair I finish it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-09 20:09:48

Just chilling, you?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 13:52:22

Back here, looking for comments. So let's get this started once more.
Remember that tattoo design, well it got done.

1/7

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 13:53:55

do not critic the tattoo as it wasn't done by me, I did the design.

Next we have some concept art for a little project that's going back and forth on my mind

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 13:55:17

At 6/22/10 01:52 PM, Mabelma wrote: Remember that tattoo design, well it got done.

Well, I'm glad he liked it.
Personally, it's not the kind of design I'd get permanently inked on my skin.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 13:56:28

Some more concept art.
This is a link because the actual image is a .png
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/draw/7857 11173aef16e771701ebe14e19309.jpg
but here's something to actually look at, the main character's almost done model sheet. below the turnarounds I'll put some in-pose poses

4/7

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 13:59:48

At 6/22/10 01:55 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, I'm glad he liked it.
Personally, it's not the kind of design I'd get permanently inked on my skin.

Neither would I, but it's cool he also got my signature in with it.

Some more IronSack imagery
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l463ar RVMn1qcqas5o1_500.png

FatBatman
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4dp89 88BJ1qcqas5o1_500.png

and my first entry for the gotta hatch em all collab

7/7

That's all for now.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 14:41:11

I tried to stop myself from saying anything...really I did...but I just couldn't do it.

First off:
"Iron Sack" - This isn't bad design work, as far as LBP goes, but being interested in this game, I did some research...and this contest was over and done with in 2008, before LBP was released.
There is no current contest that is similar for LBP 2, so it kind of seems pointless to do this, unless it's just for fun.
From your comments about it, though, I would assume that's not the case...so I am kinda confused.
The comments about originality, while maybe being a bit harsh, are kind of on point since there IS no contest and you're posting someone else's template with minimal design work laid on top.
Also, to be honest...I've seen about a hundred "Iron Man" Sackboys...and some of them were better designed...plus they were designed IN-GAME, which IMO is way harder to do than just drawing on a template.
(shrug)
If it turns out I'm wrong, please feel free to post the contest link so that others may enjoy it...but I'm rarely wrong when it comes to finding stuff on the Net.

The Tattoo - It's great that you have a friend who wants your art on their skin...and more power to you for it...BUT...the tattoo itself is unprofessional and sketchy.
The lines aren't consistent, the color is splotchy and the overall fee of it is just...amateur.
Maybe that's how the person getting it wanted it...maybe he doesn't care...but YOU should, because it's your art...and any person who PERFORMS or HAS high-quality ink is going to look at this and smirk a bit.
I know that none of that is your fault and you have no control over it...I'm just sayin'.

Now if you have made it thru all that without getting pissed enough to want to kill me...I DO have good things to say too...
I really like all your cartoon-style work.
It's bright and stark and usually very well composed and laid out.
Even your fan art in most cases goes above and beyond, I think because of the settings you put them in.
Your concept drawings seem very solid, and when you finish them up, they are always clean and fun to view.
I love the obvious progression of your talent from the beginning of the thread to the most recent.
Finally, speaking of the most recent...I REALLY like the creature you did for the Egg Collab.
It fits perfectly with the egg that inspired it and I love the whole "potato-bat" thing...THAT is originality.
About the only somewhat negative thing I could say about it is all the glowing lines...which seems to be a trendy little novelty around here.
I think they are slightly overdone in this case, like, they could be softer and "glowier"...but ehh, whatever...it's still awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-22 15:09:32

At 6/22/10 02:41 PM, antiandy wrote: First off:
"Iron Sack" - This isn't bad design work, as far as LBP goes, but being interested in this game, I did some research...and this contest was over and done with in 2008, before LBP was released.
There is no current contest that is similar for LBP 2, so it kind of seems pointless to do this, unless it's just for fun.
From your comments about it, though, I would assume that's not the case...so I am kinda confused.
The comments about originality, while maybe being a bit harsh, are kind of on point since there IS no contest and you're posting someone else's template with minimal design work laid on top.
Also, to be honest...I've seen about a hundred "Iron Man" Sackboys...and some of them were better designed...plus they were designed IN-GAME, which IMO is way harder to do than just drawing on a template.

It's not for a contest but a proposition to Media Modecule to see if by any chance they would like to use my design and possibly make it a reality. Making costumes in-game ain't that difficult when you like at you're just placing stickers over a let's say "template" cause in any case the in-game sack boy would be a template but thanks for that comment, it's greatly appreaciated.

If it turns out I'm wrong, please feel free to post the contest link so that others may enjoy it...but I'm rarely wrong when it comes to finding stuff on the Net.

The Tattoo - It's great that you have a friend who wants your art on their skin...and more power to you for it...BUT...the tattoo itself is unprofessional and sketchy.
The lines aren't consistent, the color is splotchy and the overall fee of it is just...amateur.
Maybe that's how the person getting it wanted it...maybe he doesn't care...but YOU should, because it's your art...and any person who PERFORMS or HAS high-quality ink is going to look at this and smirk a bit.
I know that none of that is your fault and you have no control over it...I'm just sayin'.

Yeah it surely has several flaws and a few of them could possibly have been my fault and if I could truly fix all the flaws in the tattoo I would but I had no actual saying when it came to the tattoo artist that preformed it seeing as the requester wasn't really a close friend or someone I even knew, I just did a favor over the internet and got a tattoo in return.

Now if you have made it thru all that without getting pissed enough to want to kill me...I DO have good things to say too...

I came here for critics not for any actual praise, so thank you for all that. It's greatly appreaciated.

I really like all your cartoon-style work.

Thanks, I myself find that's my best area when it comes to art.

It's bright and stark and usually very well composed and laid out.

I had no idea but I'm glad you think that way.

Even your fan art in most cases goes above and beyond, I think because of the settings you put them in.

I could think the same, the only fan-art I'm not actually proud of would be the Calico Electronico one, just looking at it now makes me want to vomit.

Your concept drawings seem very solid, and when you finish them up, they are always clean and fun to view.

Thank you, I was trying to keep it as solid and original as possible and I guess it payed out but I'm still far from done so expect more from that character and a bunch more as I'm planning on turning it all into an animated series some time in the future so sating that means that it would possibly be a sub-world in my imagination composed of 20-30 character all interacting with each other.

I love the obvious progression of your talent from the beginning of the thread to the most recent.

Thank you, I had several questions when it came to the issue of improvement and I'm glad to hear I'm actually improving.

Finally, speaking of the most recent...I REALLY like the creature you did for the Egg Collab.

Thanks, I had several other designs in my head but that was the best one out the bunch.

It fits perfectly with the egg that inspired it and I love the whole "potato-bat" thing...THAT is originality.

Originally it was going to be an egg with wings but seeing some of the coloring on the egg I just went and made it a potato bat.

About the only somewhat negative thing I could say about it is all the glowing lines...which seems to be a trendy little novelty around here.
I think they are slightly overdone in this case, like, they could be softer and "glowier"...but ehh, whatever...it's still awesome.

I myself don't like the glowing lines at all but I had to obligatory incorporate them one way or another seeing as the actual egg made by Joberston had those glowing lines all around it.

Thank you so much for all the comments and the feedback. It's all greatly appreciated. I would love to hear what others had to say about the new images.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-24 11:39:44

Happy FatBatman Appreciation Day
The goal of this new holiday is to draw a FatBatman and post it on your thread. If you want I can make new thread and everyone can post it there.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-24 13:59:43

Respect the Squirtle!!!

just a sketch for now, probably going to ink it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-24 14:47:52

FatBatman for the win!!!
; 1/2

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-24 14:50:03

Banjo Playing pig on top a banjo

2/2

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-24 15:11:58

Sumo FatBatman!!!

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-25 15:56:49

A Group Shot I did for another forum I frequent, yes I am forum whoring. Don't get mad at me. I will do one for all the coolest members here I just need time to gather some refs. Hope you like. This may be inked and colored in the near future.

To big for NG.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-25 15:59:10

That link doesn't work, here you go guys/gals.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4088/
tsrgroupshotsketchfinal.jpg

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-25 16:00:54

spriters resource? really, how come we never see any pixel work here then ey?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-25 16:34:36

Yeah Brookie, well you see. I do have sprites and I do make sprites but I'm not very proud of them besides that well my sprites are usually saved as png so I can't upload them I need to go back and turn them into jpgs but since you want to see them, here you go. Enjoy.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-29 19:33:25

AS many of you may know, I have a blog and well I've been saying on the blog that once I get to 25 followers I will send out some thank you gifts (one of a kind inked image that will probably be framed) but I don't really know what else to add to the gift, should I put my business card? A thank you letter? Anything else you might be thinking? I have already sketched out 6 of the gifts seeing as I'm already on the 13-14 followers mark but I won't show you that because seeing as the world is just too small there's a slim chance one of my followers will see thread and see the gift before time so instead, I'll show you Link in my own style. Right now that's only he's front view and he seems lifeless because that's part of a turn-around that I still haven't gotten time to finish but once I do he won't see so lifeless. Enjoy.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-30 06:42:34

At 6/29/10 07:33 PM, Mabelma wrote: I'll show you Link in my own style.

He looks cool, seems a bit different from your other work; in a good way.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-30 10:36:32

In a sense, yes but it's still the same style. I'm planning tondo more of him as soon as I can find a good pose to out him in, I'm glad you like it. I prepared a businness card to ship with the gifts, I'll show it to you guys as soon as I get on a computer.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-06-30 21:16:49

The 25 followers mark keeps getting closer and closer. I'm already at 16 followers and guess what, It's great. Well I think I know what to include in the little package. The package will probably include;

- The one of a kind, fully inked custom image that will probably be framed (still need to check the frames prices)
- 4 Mab's Art World Businnes Card ((image below)printed by Moo)
- 1 pack of Pillo Locon Expression Chart (I will pick out the best image from the expression char a few post back(Pillo Locon's expression chart)(Printed by Moo)
- Personal thank you letter (with probably a sketch on it somewhere or maybe on the back or something)

What do you guys think? Is a good thank you gift? Below is my business card design, hope you like it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-07-26 16:36:11

Inspired by Gumby!!!

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-07-31 14:47:28

I might as well update this crummy thread. Here's my madness collab entry:

I love this piece out of pretty much everything else I have done but I know the hair looks like a piece of shit, once I learn how to properly shade hair I'll go back to it and refine it.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-08-02 18:01:50

Some new stuff I've been working on. Any kind of comments are welcomed.

1/5

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-08-02 18:03:23

Fully quoted message

2/5

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-08-02 18:06:02

Inception!!!

3/5

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-08-02 18:07:58

Metroid!!!!!!!!