00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ruthless3r just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

19,836 Views | 234 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-20 10:24:41

Quick portraits.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-20 20:32:08

random colour practice, no reference.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-21 02:37:34

At 7/20/10 08:32 PM, Ne7ers wrote: random colour practice, no reference.

You make such nice faces; their expressions seem so real; do you use a reference for your portraits? or are they based on poeple you know?.
anyways; this last one is an odd one; she seemed to be smile when I first looked at her... but now she appears to be close to tears... :(

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-21 21:58:35

Thanks J-qb, in reply to your question, for the last batch of portraits i did use reference. I decided i drew too much from my head and wasnt taking in any new information so i jumped on Facebook and ended up drawing friends and randoms for a few hours! The colour render was me pretty much winging it on top of the lineart and altering small bits as my imagination saw fit.

I keep posting these studies and i hope im not starting to bore people, heres another random page from today. Mostly poses from my head, a couple loosely taking ref from a couple of my fave artists on various art forums.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-21 22:17:27

trust me your book is far from boring

i check it daily now and its always reminding me to take time to study :D

and hopefully one day my studies can come out half as nice

BBS Signature

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-22 09:00:50

At 7/21/10 10:17 PM, theWesley wrote: trust me your book is far from boring

i check it daily now and its always reminding me to take time to study :D

and hopefully one day my studies can come out half as nice

Thanks wesley, Ive already checked out your thread, you work hard man! I hope we can both keep up this crazy pace.

Ive been on posemaniacs for a while now, but only started doing the 30 second studies at silly hours of the morning for a couple of days, i can honestly say its helped, Ive learnt to look at the human figure more as a set of shapes than a full on anatomical study.

These were another set of 30 second sketches, but somehow the lines faded so i quickly went over and re worked some of the lines without reference.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-22 20:04:27

Its been an absolutely RUBBISH day for drawing today, started with a colour self portrait which i rendered so badly i havent even checked if ive saved it. More dodgy anatomy and just general dicking around. I still dont know what sort of style i want to render my work in, i love actual paint but really need to gather more patience to learn more brush and colour techniques.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-22 20:24:32

Dicking around.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-22 22:07:02

Woah your sketches are very impressive, makes me wanna crack open my sketchbook and go back into anatomy practice....infact that is what i will do.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-22 22:54:10

If you made a zine, i would definitely buy one...
js.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-24 21:35:41

Thanks very much guys, I hope to make a zine sometime when im back in my third year at Uni. I had nothing to post yesterday because i was busy sorting out stuff for my trip to America, started doodling today and also studying up on my rendering.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-24 21:37:13

No ref doodles.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-26 20:27:08

Had a browse around trying to get some inspiration, I decided to leave the anatomy studies for a bit of style exploration. I wasnt focusing on any sort of correct proportion, just random shapes and lines, some worked and some didnt.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-26 20:28:38

More style exploration.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-28 22:34:17

Painting with real paint again! I really am trying to reduce my pallette. I need to get some new brushes as well, either that or my brush technique sucks balls.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-29 16:20:00

Oils pt. 2

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-31 21:21:43

I havent been too active on these forums for the past few days, been doing a bit more work on style, its something that should come naturally but seems to be easily lost when i focus my work back on anatomy. Its been fun so far!

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-31 21:23:32

Working on style pt.2

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-31 21:26:56

Been following this thread for a long while, and am always impressed with what I see. Any tips for a beginner?

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-07-31 21:41:03

Thanks again Democracy, I dont really know what words of wisdom i should be giving, if you wanted to know anything in particular i would be happy to answer.

Ill start with a few things that I've only recently picked up...

The one thing i have lived by since University is that you always get out what you put in. I would say the few years slaving over anatomy and rendering are essential for my improvement, but the most improtant thing is to just draw how you want to draw, stay origional and hopefully it will all pay off!

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-02 20:15:16

Colour doodle. I was laying down some ideas for an Oil painting an got a bit carried away, ill probably still get out the oils. So many colours!

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-05 15:08:39

Started laying down some colours with oils today, Amongst doing other little moleskine sketches.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-05 15:10:36

Moleskine book update, Im getting to the end of this book really fast, all of my little ideas and brainstorms and dreams go into this book.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-05 16:23:03

Laid over some of my old linework in photoshop, i really like it but i dont know whether or not to take that leap in the real life painting, theres no going back once i do. Im quite liking this style of working, its nice to know i can switch back and forth between real life materials and digital painting.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-05 17:49:34

At 8/5/10 04:23 PM, Ne7ers wrote: Laid over some of my old linework in photoshop, i really like it but i dont know whether or not to take that leap in the real life painting, theres no going back once i do.

yeah It definitely looks very cool. not too fond of the linework on that hair though... bit messy.

Im quite liking this style of working, its nice to know i can switch back and forth between real life materials and digital painting.

I can imagine that is quite handy

BBS Signature

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-05 21:34:58

At 8/5/10 05:49 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 8/5/10 04:23 PM, Ne7ers wrote: Laid over some of my old linework in photoshop, i really like it but i dont know whether or not to take that leap in the real life painting, theres no going back once i do.
yeah It definitely looks very cool. not too fond of the linework on that hair though... bit messy.
Im quite liking this style of working, its nice to know i can switch back and forth between real life materials and digital painting.
I can imagine that is quite handy

Thanks for the feedback J-qb, Ill try a few things out and see how it comes together. Im currently working on about 10 different things at once so it should give me a bit of time to think it over!

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-26 14:36:33

Hey everyone, im back for a little while, Ive been busy building my website and getting all of that up and running before i go back to uni. Ive got a few things to show but to be honest ive not really been producing as much work as id have hoped. Ah well its always good to have a break every now and then. Ill make sure to get some stuff on here before i go away to America.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-30 20:51:21

Small update. Ive been through about 3 sketchbooks working on line weight, i also bought myself some graphite powder and been messing around with that. My figures have turned more into shapes rather than being totally anatomically correct. Also my website is now 100% up after faffing around with my host so check that out!

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-30 20:52:52

More stuff.

Ne7ers Sketchbooks.

Response to Ne7ers Sketchbooks. 2010-08-31 05:27:42

At 8/30/10 08:51 PM, Ne7ers wrote: My figures have turned more into shapes rather than being totally anatomically correct.

Thats cool, I have always, but especially recently, preferred (slightly) abstrahised work over photorealism.

Also my website is now 100% up after faffing around with my host so check that out!

link plz?

BBS Signature