00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Oatmeal386 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 23:34:44

At 2/5/10 04:22 PM, M-Shack wrote: I'll be posting up an updated version Sunday that will include the working credits and these changes. I've got it laid out so you can view everyones animations at a fairly good size. Does everyone just want their newgrounds names and a link to the NG pages? I know Mathias want's to use his name and I will be using my name too.

I think it would be cool to have names and usernames for everyone. Unless they don't want their name public.

Regarding the menu, it looks cool and I like the lack of text. I think that on the 2nd screen (when choosing b&w/colour) you don't really need the text there.

Just having the word 'choose:' (with the semicolon, maybe) morph in above both screens would be cool.

I'm excited to see the melee.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-06 07:15:07

I would agree that you don't need to have words for colour and black and white and that 'choose' would be good. The order of appearance definitely needs to be clearly stated though - as you have to study the buttons for quite some time in order to get meaning. Also we should probably do something to emphasise the 'one-at-a-time' option, since that will probably be the one that offers the best initial viewing experience. The 'all-at-once' option is just an interesting extra (at least that is how I feel).

And I think that on the credits page, there should be a list of all the animators (and menu/loading bar creators :P) with an image of their animations and a link to their userpages. I don't think that the main animation should have these - I think it would be bad for the aesthetic. There are ways around this, but they involve much more effort.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-06 11:45:48

At 2/6/10 07:15 AM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: I would agree that you don't need to have words for colour and black and white and that 'choose' would be good. The order of appearance definitely needs to be clearly stated though - as you have to study the buttons for quite some time in order to get meaning. Also we should probably do something to emphasise the 'one-at-a-time' option, since that will probably be the one that offers the best initial viewing experience. The 'all-at-once' option is just an interesting extra (at least that is how I feel).

And I think that on the credits page, there should be a list of all the animators (and menu/loading bar creators :P) with an image of their animations and a link to their userpages. I don't think that the main animation should have these - I think it would be bad for the aesthetic. There are ways around this, but they involve much more effort.

Honestly I think that the melee option is the more entertaining one, the one at a time is just if you want to see each one on its on own. But thats why we have 2 options, everyone will have different preferences. And for the credits I have the Username/Name with what they did to help (menu etc.) and then images of their animations. When you roll over them the animation pays. However I am trying like 10 diff layouts because some animations animate in a bigger area and take up more space, so I am trying to find a good way to display all the information easily without some animations bleeding off screen or onto others. I originally had a list of the names and info to the right, but now am working with like 4 ppl per page and kind of gridded. I duno, I guess I'll post which ever one is easiest to see.

So do you think I should use the work Chaos instead of melee?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-06 14:42:58

Well it's just that the melee option will last like 2 seconds, and I'd imagine would only hold the attention briefly and be a bit overwhelming (after all, all of the animations are fairly detailed). I think that the sequential thing to music will provide entertainment for longer, and will allow people to appreciate the detail more. But that might just be me.

I think that 'Chaos' has a bit more personality to it, and conveys the meaning well. I think it's better.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-06 18:33:15

At 2/6/10 02:42 PM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: Well it's just that the melee option will last like 2 seconds, and I'd imagine would only hold the attention briefly and be a bit overwhelming (after all, all of the animations are fairly detailed). I think that the sequential thing to music will provide entertainment for longer, and will allow people to appreciate the detail more. But that might just be me.

I think that 'Chaos' has a bit more personality to it, and conveys the meaning well. I think it's better.

Alright I'll go with Chaos then. Or Chaotic (if it fits). Yeah the thing is that everyone wanted to use different amounts of frames and diff lengths of the screen, so they all play at different speeds which doesn't make them flow so well sequentially. Still is nice to see them all going. The Chaotic version is a loop of each animation playing in a few different spots so you never really know when it ends like this http://presstube.com/project.php?id=223. He only has like 5 or 6 different skulls, but they are similar colors and everything is happening so fast you just keep watching to try and figure out what is what and how it's done.

What about the title? No one's really giving their opinion on any of the suggestions we've had so far.
A Little Bit of the Old In and Out
Going in and Out
Goin' in 'n' Out
Some Old In and Out
In and Out

I like those because of what Boogley said about them being In and Out animations. But which one do you guys think is best? Or another one?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 06:28:31

i prefer " a little bit of the old in and out"
but just in case you want the name of the upload to be the same as in the actuall collab on the title screen i dont think that that would fit in the title box when this gets uploaded
maybe you could shorten it
"a bit of the old in and out"
"some of the old in and out"
i still dont know is either of those would fit
you could always try and do what explosm did with "the man who could sit..."
(full title is the man who could sit anywhere)
so chop some off
to actually go on the title screen thingy i think we should have
"a little bit of the old in and out"

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 08:38:09

when is tha DUE date ?

GAME JAM 7

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 16:43:12

Here we go. Let me know what you guys think, and SC, feel free to hand draw; Sequential, Chatoc, and all the names if you'd like. And what determines if some of the things wiggle and don't? Some of the text moves, and some doesn't, even though they are on the same layer. I Didn't do that yet and just wanted to get this up for you guys to see today.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/72a9 02e440c83502afbf289a87f86e42

I removed that mask thing you spoke about because it still doesn't make sense to me. It makes it look like the object is leaving the stage then is just cut out. It doesn't look like it's morphing because it doesn't change shape, it just gets masked out. If you wanted it to look like it was becoming a part of the stage, then a completely new animation would be needed for that. But as of right now, the stage is just whiteness, it isn't meant to be related to any of the morphs besides allowing us to view them on top of it. When I suggested that, I think I was talking about your in and out animation because it was touching the edge of the stage and none of these animations are suppose to do that.

Anyways I had tried so many different Credits layouts, but this one seemed to work best to display everyone's info and animations fairly. They are not placed on a grid of any sort because they all take up different amounts of space for their animation and to make them all the same size would make some HUGE and some too tiny.

So any feedback or bugs wold be nice. No suggestions to redo the entire layout unless it is just one small thing getting moved or fixed. If you want your name displayed differently or have a personal site, let me know.

The title will be chosen soon, I'm going to wait for some more people to give opinions or just choose one.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 17:21:39

Love the music you picked ^^

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 17:29:20

and how about this name Morphing sex partY :P

GAME JAM 7

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 19:03:59

I really like how this is coming along. I really like what you've done with the layout of the credits screen. A few things to potentially work on:

Credits button is not completely gone at the end of the transition.
'Chaotic' and 'Sequential' might look better above/below the bubbles, rather than cluttered and inside them.
Credits button should more quickly animate from the centre of the screen to be enlarged. It shouldn't pause, but perhaps just ease it a bit. Also, it jerks briefly, so make sure that each instance of the credits are the same size/position.
I would also suggest that you double frame the profile buttons, and potentially try a shape tween between each frame, just to slow it down and be more in keeping with the 'bubble aesthetic'. If that fails, just manually insert some inbetweens to smooth it out.

But yeah, it's looking really good!

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 19:26:08

At 2/7/10 05:21 PM, Magical-Arts wrote: Love the music you picked ^^

I know right? it's such a sick beat

At 2/7/10 07:03 PM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: I really like how this is coming along. I really like what you've done with the layout of the credits screen. A few things to potentially work on:

Credits button is not completely gone at the end of the transition.
'Chaotic' and 'Sequential' might look better above/below the bubbles, rather than cluttered and inside them.
Credits button should more quickly animate from the centre of the screen to be enlarged. It shouldn't pause, but perhaps just ease it a bit. Also, it jerks briefly, so make sure that each instance of the credits are the same size/position.
I would also suggest that you double frame the profile buttons, and potentially try a shape tween between each frame, just to slow it down and be more in keeping with the 'bubble aesthetic'. If that fails, just manually insert some inbetweens to smooth it out.

But yeah, it's looking really good!

great glad u like it. I'll make some of those fixes. do you wam to rewrite the words or should I just use the font I used for the credits? and why does some of the text jigle and some don't?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 20:21:20

its sunday today so i guess im not in, sorry guys i didnt have much time... :(

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-07 21:16:18

At 2/7/10 08:21 PM, Javacke wrote: its sunday today so i guess im not in, sorry guys i didnt have much time... :(

do u have anything?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 00:23:58

I think the music works well, it really flows from the menu to when you press play. As for the title I have been trying to come up with one of my own with no luck. So my vote would go to either "A Little Bit of the Old In and Out", or "Some Old In and Out". The menu looks great by the way, did you think about what the background should be? One of us might be able to make a background, but then it might look bad when all the animations are playing on only one.

Also, just a thought but maybe when you click the back button the play button can come back from where it left and then have the credits drop down again. It's just a thought so don't do it if you think it's not necessary.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 00:34:58

At 2/8/10 12:23 AM, LostPencil wrote: I think the music works well, it really flows from the menu to when you press play. As for the title I have been trying to come up with one of my own with no luck. So my vote would go to either "A Little Bit of the Old In and Out", or "Some Old In and Out". The menu looks great by the way, did you think about what the background should be? One of us might be able to make a background, but then it might look bad when all the animations are playing on only one.

Also, just a thought but maybe when you click the back button the play button can come back from where it left and then have the credits drop down again. It's just a thought so don't do it if you think it's not necessary.

thank Sacred Crap. He did a loader and i told him a basic design and he made it. I used his menu stuff to create the credits. Yeah the music just happens to sync up with some of the button presses haha. I was thinking about adding more transitions between going back and stuff, but it's too much work. It's not really about the layout and design of the menu, just needed something that flows with the project. It's no biggy, not like were being paid for this haha. And no there will be no background, it will distract from the animations going on. I just want to try and get this done and in the portal soon before it becomes one of those long on going projects that never gets completed cuz of constant revisions and changes, Thanks for the input tho.

When do you guys think I should submit this? Obviously after I get the remaining few animations from some people, but the portal resets on Wednesdays right? So submitting on Thursday would get us the most exposure right?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 07:28:02

At 2/8/10 12:34 AM, M-Shack wrote:
I was thinking about adding more transitions between going back and stuff, but it's too much work. It's not really about the layout and design of the menu, just needed something that flows with the project. It's no biggy, not like were being paid for this haha. And no there will be no background, it will distract from the animations going on. I just want to try and get this done and in the portal soon before it becomes one of those long on going projects that never gets completed cuz of constant revisions and changes, Thanks for the input tho.

Ok, I was wondering if it might be too much, just thought I should throw some suggestions out.

When do you guys think I should submit this? Obviously after I get the remaining few animations from some people, but the portal resets on Wednesdays right? So submitting on Thursday would get us the most exposure right?

Thursday sounds good to me. If you need any help getting things together, just ask.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 08:24:40

why ur not replyin ! me !

GAME JAM 7

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 11:24:41

At 2/8/10 08:24 AM, Icandraw wrote: why ur not replyin ! me !

Cuz you ask the same questions over and over. I already said the due date isnt set in stone and I am trying to get everything done as soon as possible, but need the animations from like 2 more people.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 11:50:30

i didnt mean the due date i said a name and also one thing u made my parts all wrong in credits
1 my heart and burger starts from middle
2 my heart has got an arrow normally

GAME JAM 7

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 13:54:24

At 2/8/10 11:50 AM, Icandraw wrote: i didnt mean the due date i said a name and also one thing u made my parts all wrong in credits

they start in the middle to show the design you made. That was intentional, it will run in a loop or "chaotic" when people play the actual collab as a whole.

I love the way everything is looking, going to make sure you get it tonight or tomorrow!

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 13:56:23

At 2/8/10 11:50 AM, Icandraw wrote: i didnt mean the due date i said a name and also one thing u made my parts all wrong in credits

Relax man. That is why I said if anything is wrong, let me know and I will fix it. I will go and look at your files again, They way you set it up made it difficult for me to move because you didn't make then Graphics like I asked. I'll double check what you sent me and fix it.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 13:58:13

At 2/8/10 01:54 PM, animatorjones wrote:
they start in the middle to show the design you made. That was intentional, it will run in a loop or "chaotic" when people play the actual collab as a whole.

I love the way everything is looking, going to make sure you get it tonight or tomorrow!

and yes, this is why it starts in the middle, ALL of them look like this for the credits. They will not look like this in the actual movie. So please relax Icandraw. And for the name we are going to try and use something with In and Out.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 15:00:18

Ok, a few ideas on the name:
I think "A Bit Of The Old In And Out" is good, or "A Bit Of In and Out". The 'bit' word is somewhat important I think. 'some' doesn't carry the same sorta weight.
We could do something different again, like "In and Out - a love story" or just "In and Out" or maybe "Ease in, Ease out - no animation involved" or (and this one is definitely the best - "In and Out - it's a metaphor for sex".

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 15:30:56

Morphing sex party :P

GAME JAM 7

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 16:50:04

Ha, a metaphor for sex is kind of funny. I was thinking of keeping with just In and Out then a subtitle, that way if we do make more things like this in the future, they can just be part of an in and out series with new subtitles.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 17:56:28

Or alternatively: "In and Out - it's an innuendo, get it?"

Response to Moarph 2010-02-08 19:37:35

or we could do the other way around and have.

"moarphs" or Morphs" as the title with subtitle "In and Out" because if we were to do another, morphing as a guideline gives more options for alternatives than straight up in and out. But i like the ideas

Response to Moarph 2010-02-09 15:00:37

Alright guys, it's lookin good so far. I am most likely going to go with "In and Out- it's a metaphor for sex", but only include In and Out in the actual Flash. I just finished organizing the Sequential versions and made the fixes from before. So I just gotta get the chaotic versions together and we are pretty much set to submit this baby. I won't be posting anymore updates of the menu cuz the file is getting kinda big now with all the animations in it and coding, and i don't want to ruin the surprise for you guys :)

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-09 15:08:35

Well that name doesnt fit :/ 25 character max. So what about just "In and Out". Or to keep up with the sex thing "In and Out... Sex?"

Or we can just go with Morphs: In and Out, like what Jones mentioned. If there is a 2nd version of this it will be transforming (think of transformers or boogleys robo duck).

BBS Signature