00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RevelNeko just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 12:11:50

i'm sure it got lost on the other thread, but here is my face. Let me know what you guys think. It seems a little fast or like too much going on so I was going to shorten the distance the goo stuff actually travels so it seems slower.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 14:09:23

At 1/31/10 01:27 AM, LostPencil wrote: Made a new one too, tell me what you think.

I like how the rain is quite graphi-design-y in its simplicity and smooth curves.

I think you should use self-coloured lines though - instead of black, use a dark greenish blue - and maybe thicken them slightly. Also, I think the cloud could be redrawn to fit the style better - maybe avoid lines that 'enter' the shape - just using an outline - and maybe make the 'ellipses' of the rain cloud a bit more even to match what's going on with the rain.

At 1/31/10 06:10 AM, TheBoogley wrote: morphs three and four
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/225c 55e98e5de71e26fe21843c9c6c06

I love how the roboduck emerges in a sorta 'robotic' way. And the ghost is just brilliant character animation. I have real trouble getting things constant when they're going through perspectives.

Is the 2nd half of the duck the same as the 1st? Not that I'm criticising - just wondering.

At 1/31/10 04:13 AM, TheBoogley wrote: Bezman, that final looks fantastic, I think the spiral kind of takes charge anyway when you're glancing at it so it's not so overwhelming that so much is going on, and the arc on the jaw coming round looks fantastic.

:-) I made the teeth lengthen because of your post about overlapping shapes in movement. Thanks again for the old tips.

At 1/31/10 11:26 AM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: Tell me what you think!

It's thematically appropriate and well made so far. I was gonna say that the start is a bit slow - but then realised that's the preloader! (I think?)

Sometimes the text pops in a bit much (like 'play'). Maybe have the text morph in for a couple of frames?

At 1/31/10 11:58 AM, M-Shack wrote: Yes try to keep it under 60

I have a confession - at the end of my animation, I realised I needed 3 more frames of particles to 'sell' the 'morph-out'. I meant to tell you at the time but was too tired. I promise not to make it a habit though.

At 1/30/10 11:01 PM, Bezman wrote: I've finished the colour version. Added scribbly shading.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6069 0ed96acd81a940a28ac72375604e
Great job. I was commenting on the first one you posted, but this came out really well. I had afeeling when you colored teh whole thing it would become easier to see. If you did nwat to add frames, I would remove a couple inbetweens in the beginning and end to allow space in the middle. It works tho, I want to keep watching it over and over haha. Don't worry, there will be a few ways to view this, one will aloow people to watch one multiple times. BnW will be on white background. I was thinking of doing a few diff color choices, but I don't want to make the viewer have to click hundreds of diff options. Maybe If people really would like to see diff bgs, then we could try a 2nd one sometime in the future and add more options.

Thanks! I don't think I'll change it (unless you need me to remove 3 frames).

I wanted to know the bg so I could decide what shade to make the teeth and such.

So... is everyone just going over the old frames and using the paint-bucket tool frame by frame? Is there an easier way to recolour the disconnected lines?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing some 1337 shortcut or time-saving strategy.

At 1/31/10 12:11 PM, M-Shack wrote: i'm sure it got lost on the other thread, but here is my face. Let me know what you guys think. It seems a little fast or like too much going on so I was going to shorten the distance the goo stuff actually travels so it seems slower.

I think maybe as the 'splash' becomes the hair, a few particles could fall off of the back? Maybe the head could sink lower too? I dunno - it's really slick and lovely as is.

I love how the 2nd ball is the skin - really clever and makes me appreciate watching repeatedly.

Is it the full 60 frames? If not, maybe a few inbetweens where the splash becomes the 2 balls?

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 16:49:25

Right, well I made it a little less messy and easier for you to implement and added the splitting effect, as well as testing out a fairly subtle effect that means that the things don't just disappear.

Here it is.

The main things left to do are the 'All at Once' or 'One at a time' text, then a menu button for the credits. I'll probably also change the split effect a bit.

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 18:10:57

At 1/31/10 02:09 PM, Bezman wrote:: I think maybe as the 'splash' becomes the hair, a few particles could fall off of the back? Maybe the head could sink lower too? I dunno - it's really slick and lovely as is.

I love how the 2nd ball is the skin - really clever and makes me appreciate watching repeatedly.

Is it the full 60 frames? If not, maybe a few inbetweens where the splash becomes the 2 balls?

Thanks, yeah it's only like in the 40's (i think). I can def smooth out all of my animations since I kept them all pretty low. I'll go over it again and try some of what you said. Thanks for the advice. And don't worry about the frames, yours came out great, I just didnt want people thinking they had 100 frames to work with, I wanted people to start low and add frames as they needed to smooth things out.

At 1/31/10 04:49 PM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: Right, well I made it a little less messy and easier for you to implement and added the splitting effect, as well as testing out a fairly subtle effect that means that the things don't just disappear.

Here it is.

The main things left to do are the 'All at Once' or 'One at a time' text, then a menu button for the credits. I'll probably also change the split effect a bit.

Cool, Yeah I still need to figure out how to display the title and what not. It's looking good tho, so just send it to me whenever your done. You did a good job man.

I'm sure everyone has more ideas and is having fun, so hold on to those ideas or bust em out quick! If this comes out as I imagine and we get really good feedback we can def make a second one later using a similar idea!

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 20:51:11

A new name idea if you want to go down the "sex sells" style name path;

A Bit of the Old In and Out

hmm? I was just trying to describe this morphing style and called them In and Out loops, and it came to me like a slap in the face from a sea hag with an atlantic salmon.

I'll colour the new ones in and get them to you later today, which I guess is in the middle of the night for you :)

The Throwback Collab, get on it!

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-01-31 23:08:27

ha yeah I'll prolly be getting ready for bed. in and out sounds nice and sexual but I think I might have an idea that flows with this collab. Primordial Ooze(or Goo(s)). What do u guys think?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 11:11:49

I kinda like Boogley's idea: certainly more than Moarph. However, it might be a bit long for a title. I still like my 'Liquivocation' and 'Phormation' but maybe that's because I like making up words. Also, what music are we going to use?

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 11:25:39

I kinda liked this song

It's seems like good music to chill too and is at a good pace for the animations. I think It would flow nicely as a loop to just listen to while you watch. If you guys have any other songs in mind let me know and maybe i'll give like 3 songs to choose from.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 11:27:30

Sorry I've been lagging. I've been dealing with the client from hell. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 15:37:24

bit late
one more suggestion for the menu
back buttons ( in case people watch credits first or click b+w and change thier mind)
other than that the menu looks awsome

also wanted to ask you a favour .. could you put that menu thing in the dumping grounds or pm to me because i really want a custom preloader but im absoloutely terrible at AS2 and AS3

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 16:24:31

At 2/1/10 11:25 AM, M-Shack wrote: I kinda liked this song

It's a bit slow in starting but it's great when it gets going

I've coloured the new ones;
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4afd 9a466bb74cb09b87fe39284a05ca

I'll PM you the FLA

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 22:33:45

At 2/1/10 03:37 PM, abbamysta wrote: bit late
one more suggestion for the menu
back buttons ( in case people watch credits first or click b+w and change thier mind)
other than that the menu looks awsome

also wanted to ask you a favour .. could you put that menu thing in the dumping grounds or pm to me because i really want a custom preloader but im absoloutely terrible at AS2 and AS3

Yeah The back btn is already going to be in there. I was going to throw that in when he sent me the fla. And if you have trouble with preloaders just google it or download the NG ones and mess with it till you edit the images in a way you like. The best way to learn is through trial and error. Start with the basic ones that use a bar or percent, then start trying new things like animations and what not.

At 2/1/10 04:24 PM, TheBoogley wrote:
At 2/1/10 11:25 AM, M-Shack wrote: I kinda liked this song
It's a bit slow in starting but it's great when it gets going

I've coloured the new ones;
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4afd 9a466bb74cb09b87fe39284a05ca

I'll PM you the FLA

Yeah it starts off slow, I would either edit that out or have that part loop during menu selection then let the beat drop when the animations begin. And I'm really loving that Transforming Duck. Kind of gives me an idea for another collab ;) Transforming things. Might be kinda hard to get a good tutorial on it for it people, but could be a cool project also.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 22:58:28

At 2/1/10 10:33 PM, M-Shack wrote:

idea for another collab ;) Transforming things. Might be kinda hard to get a good tutorial on it for it people, but could be a cool project also.

I am in!! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-01 23:10:46

At 2/1/10 10:58 PM, TheBoogley wrote:
At 2/1/10 10:33 PM, M-Shack wrote:
idea for another collab ;) Transforming things. Might be kinda hard to get a good tutorial on it for it people, but could be a cool project also.

I am in!! :D

!!!!!!

Should I make a topic for it now? lol shit i don't even know if I can transform something, I never tried yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-02 06:44:17

At 2/1/10 11:10 PM, M-Shack wrote:
Should I make a topic for it now? lol shit i don't even know if I can transform something, I never tried yet.

I think it's best to wait until this one's done.
Then people will see the quality of the projects you run and we'll get more interest... maybe if we push him we'll even get Luis involved. He likes this kind of thing. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-02 10:46:01

At 2/2/10 06:44 AM, TheBoogley wrote:
At 2/1/10 11:10 PM, M-Shack wrote:
I think it's best to wait until this one's done.
Then people will see the quality of the projects you run and we'll get more interest... maybe if we push him we'll even get Luis involved. He likes this kind of thing. :)

Yeah, I'm going to have to try out a few different ways to see what works best for it. Can you link me to some of Luis' work?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-02 17:04:30

At 2/2/10 10:46 AM, M-Shack wrote: Yeah, I'm going to have to try out a few different ways to see what works best for it. Can you link me to some of Luis' work?

Luis is god... that is all.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-02 19:03:59

At 2/2/10 05:04 PM, TheBoogley wrote:
At 2/2/10 10:46 AM, M-Shack wrote: Yeah, I'm going to have to try out a few different ways to see what works best for it. Can you link me to some of Luis' work?
Luis is god... that is all.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/51 1030

Ahh. Yeah he's got some mad fresh dope skills son. We def should try to get him to participate. I'm trying to think of a clever name if we do a transforming one. Could make it like a sequel to this one so it would be something like More of the Old In and Out: Animations In Disguise or something Transformerish. Animations, Roll Out. Just brainstorming. Ill worry about it more later.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 18:16:09

I am making some final changes to the menu and will try to post it here tonight. in the mean time we still need to confirm a good name. I like TheBogley's idea, but should we use 'A Bit of the Old In and Out' or 'Ins and Outs'?

Place your votes now, or you can text the name you chose to 555-NEWGROUNDS-MORPH-COLLAB-NAME, again that's 555-NEWGROUNDS-MORPH-COLLAB-NAME

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 18:32:28

Argh can i still be in, i totally forgot sorry.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 19:17:48

At 2/4/10 06:16 PM, M-Shack wrote: I am making some final changes to the menu and will try to post it here tonight. in the mean time we still need to confirm a good name. I like TheBogley's idea, but should we use 'A Bit of the Old In and Out' or 'Ins and Outs'?

Place your votes now, or you can text the name you chose to 555-NEWGROUNDS-MORPH-COLLAB-NAME, again that's 555-NEWGROUNDS-MORPH-COLLAB-NAME

think we could call it "Some old In and Out" to shorten boogles version?

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 20:10:36

So here is the menu. This is the NEW one that I edited and here is the OLD one as well. the only changes I made were:
-Bigger stage
-Animations for the 2 versions to select
-Moved around the buttons and stuff to fit better
-Altered the rollover effect

The title is still being worked out and that bad hand writing is just filler to show that the options worked. Also I know the arrow has no circle after you select all your options. So please provide any feedback or bugs. Thanks guys.

At 2/4/10 06:32 PM, Alec-D wrote: Argh can i still be in, i totally forgot sorry.

If you send me something really soon, but all the spots for co-authors are already filled.

At 2/4/10 07:17 PM, Magical-Arts wrote: think we could call it "Some old In and Out" to shorten boogles version?

I think saying it like that kind of changes the meaning. It's like saying these are old, versus Boogles version which sounds a little more sexual. I guess a shorter sexual version would be "Going In and Out" or "Goin' In 'n' Out"

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 20:39:23

the menu looks realy sweet :) couldn't find any bugs, only suggestion would be to maybe add some more grafics for the melee option, so that it looks alot more crowded than the sequenial option. otherwise it's real swell ^^

Response to Moarph 2010-02-04 20:45:59

At 2/4/10 08:39 PM, Magical-Arts wrote: the menu looks realy sweet :) couldn't find any bugs, only suggestion would be to maybe add some more grafics for the melee option, so that it looks alot more crowded than the sequenial option. otherwise it's real swell ^^

Cool, so you mean more shapes animating around right?

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 08:36:32

At 2/4/10 08:45 PM, M-Shack wrote:
At 2/4/10 08:39 PM, Magical-Arts wrote: the menu looks realy sweet :) couldn't find any bugs, only suggestion would be to maybe add some more grafics for the melee option, so that it looks alot more crowded than the sequenial option. otherwise it's real swell ^^
Cool, so you mean more shapes animating around right?

yepp

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 11:44:01

Overall, I like what you did with it, but there are a few things to improve/keep from the old version.

First, it is fine to move the buttons around (I think you did it better anyway), but make it so that the 'splitting' animations are aligned and scaled properly to work with that.
Second, I think that it is a bit important that there are words on the menu options (along with the animations) - it wasn't immediately clear to me what they were, and that is coming from someone who designed the original menu. I think the average user may get confused.
Third, I think you should put the credits falling thing back under the mask, as it looked better that way (and you did ask that I change that originally - I think that it was a good suggestion). You should do the same to the 'melee', 'sequential' and 'back' out transitions. I think it looked much better that way. You can always put these under a separate masking layer, if you need custom settings. You may have just done this by accident, as it isn't immediately obvious how I achieve the effect.
Fourth, I think that the block text and the 'example animations' could be traced over at higher zoom with lower smoothing - I think that consistent line widths would make them look better.
Fifth, when you click on the melee option, you can see the edge of the sequential option popping out at the edge.

If you'd like, you can send me the .fla and I can do all of this (I have a bit of free time now). Also, since a couple of the posts above would suggest that some people did not wait (or did not know to wait) through the loader to see the old menu (understandable, since it was a 3 megabyte file), here is the old version, without the big ass image. This shows what I mean by the cool transition outs. Also, I think that the back button should do the same as it does in the old version, but go to the corner. This is all just to fit with the theme of morphing.

Here it is

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 12:11:46

At 2/5/10 11:44 AM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: Overall, I like what you did with it, but there are a few things to improve/keep from the old version.

First, it is fine to move the buttons around (I think you did it better anyway), but make it so that the 'splitting' animations are aligned and scaled properly to work with that.
Second, I think that it is a bit important that there are words on the menu options (along with the animations) - it wasn't immediately clear to me what they were, and that is coming from someone who designed the original menu. I think the average user may get confused.
Third, I think you should put the credits falling thing back under the mask, as it looked better that way (and you did ask that I change that originally - I think that it was a good suggestion). You should do the same to the 'melee', 'sequential' and 'back' out transitions. I think it looked much better that way. You can always put these under a separate masking layer, if you need custom settings. You may have just done this by accident, as it isn't immediately obvious how I achieve the effect.
Fourth, I think that the block text and the 'example animations' could be traced over at higher zoom with lower smoothing - I think that consistent line widths would make them look better.
Fifth, when you click on the melee option, you can see the edge of the sequential option popping out at the edge.

If you'd like, you can send me the .fla and I can do all of this (I have a bit of free time now). Also, since a couple of the posts above would suggest that some people did not wait (or did not know to wait) through the loader to see the old menu (understandable, since it was a 3 megabyte file), here is the old version, without the big ass image. This shows what I mean by the cool transition outs. Also, I think that the back button should do the same as it does in the old version, but go to the corner. This is all just to fit with the theme of morphing.

Here it is

Alright i'll make some of those edits, but what do you mean about the mask? i increased the mask size so the objects don't just disappear before they fall off the stage. They should be shrinking and growing to keep up with the preloader and animations.

I'll redo the splits, I tried to keep the ones you had, but since the buttons move now, they don't fit the same.

I added some text to the buttons that says Select One. Do you think that is enough or that I should add the sequential and melee text to or below/above the buttons along with the animations?

You mean the melee and sequential text is too thick?

Thats what that was! I was trying to figure out if maybe I left something there, I'll move it further off stage or just remove it form that frame.

I'll make the changes today, I'm also getting the credits page together and working so that should be up today, but not done until EVERYONE sends me their flas.

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 13:33:04

I think it looks better if the buttons sorta look like they are falling off the stage, but are in fact morphing out. That's why I included them in the mask, and why the mask was smaller than the stage. The mask was entirely for the purpose of creating that effect, as they transition in and out.

Also, you can do a special technique, where you click 'select multiple frames' and drag the onion skin markers over the frame group you want, select them all and then rescale accordingly. This would allow you to quickly and easily adjust the splits to fit the new positions. If you send me the .fla, I could do this if you are unsure.

I also think you should add descriptors, like "one-at-a-time" or "all at once". I'm not sure about "melee", isn't that where you fight hand to hand? LINK
Maybe you were thinking of medley?

Also, I don't mean that it is too thick, I mean you've used fairly high smoothing, which distorts the line. It makes it look less clean. I'll do a mock up to show you what I mean.
IMAGE!

Oh, and I finished the single-colour version: Here I'll PM you the .fla in a sec.

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 14:00:15

At 2/5/10 01:33 PM, S4cr3d-Cr4p wrote: I think it looks better if the buttons sorta look like they are falling off the stage, but are in fact morphing out. That's why I included them in the mask, and why the mask was smaller than the stage. The mask was entirely for the purpose of creating that effect, as they transition in and out.

Also, you can do a special technique, where you click 'select multiple frames' and drag the onion skin markers over the frame group you want, select them all and then rescale accordingly. This would allow you to quickly and easily adjust the splits to fit the new positions. If you send me the .fla, I could do this if you are unsure.

I also think you should add descriptors, like "one-at-a-time" or "all at once". I'm not sure about "melee", isn't that where you fight hand to hand? LINK
Maybe you were thinking of medley?

Also, I don't mean that it is too thick, I mean you've used fairly high smoothing, which distorts the line. It makes it look less clean. I'll do a mock up to show you what I mean.
IMAGE!

Oh, and I finished the single-colour version: Here I'll PM you the .fla in a sec.

I am still confused as to why use the mask. None of the animations just cut out abruptly. They all come from nothing and leave into nothing. So if anything maybe I should just have the buttons shrink down instead of leave off the stage?

I know how to use the Edit Multiple Frames option lol, but thanks

I was using this definition of Melee.
-noun
1. a confused hand-to-hand fight or struggle among several people.
2. confusion; turmoil; jumble: the melee of Christmas shopping.
It works because it is like the animations are struggling to be the focus and moving in a confusing way. Also that is why I included the animation, so people get a visual. If you can think of a better word to use let me know, but I want to try to limit the words in the bubbles to as few as possible and One at a Time seemed kind of long. I did think about medley, but I wanted something to sound more chaotic, rather than a mix of blend. Maybe use Chaotic?

And I get what you mean now. I'll change the tablet settings, some of the letters I just copied from yours and resized them, but maybe they didn't work well resized.

Animations look great btw

BBS Signature

Response to Moarph 2010-02-05 16:22:44

I'll be posting up an updated version Sunday that will include the working credits and these changes. I've got it laid out so you can view everyones animations at a fairly good size. Does everyone just want their newgrounds names and a link to the NG pages? I know Mathias want's to use his name and I will be using my name too.

BBS Signature