00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LegendaryWolfeh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

187,520 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 20:44:50

At 2/28/10 08:25 PM, vow2thou wrote:
At 2/28/10 08:19 PM, TrevorW wrote: Stickies are not scripted into the system...we won't have them.
Gathered as much. Just have to see what happens to them then.

It's true, my idea does not hold much water, but there has to be some way for the newbies to be welcomed more.

My next order of business is that we need a couple WF specific mods. I'm aware this has probably been discussed before, but we can't rely on people from outside the WF to understand it. Naturally, Trevor is a good choice, but there are others.
There also needs to be more than one battle master for SSB and PB threads... I've volunteered myself for being a Poetry Battle Master. And we'll need to wait while Spindrift is crafting the rules.
Also, I've got to say for the topics for the poetry battle thread; they need a better way of being chosen. I agree that the challenger can't choose anything because he or she might have something ready, but it shouldn't be up to the battle master either (it'll eventually be hard for him or her to be impartial with all these factions). Maybe a random word generator?

That's a lot, but it's to make up for my long absence from the Lounge, haha.

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 20:48:04

Males on average tend to be naturally stronger than females yes, but females can work at it, and considering the state of many people in this day and age there are plenty of women who are much stronger than the average person male or female.

The gender barrier tends to get more noticeable in certain fields. Example the American military. Women can not join the combat arms despite the fact that they can get themselves to a physical level where they can do the job. Even in the Canadian military where women can join the combat arms, that there are some men who prefer women not be there because of social standards. Sure its not as bad as some feminists claim, but its still pretty bad.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 20:57:53

Do you really want to compare us to the Canadian military? Anyway there are many reasons why women are barred from infantry. (and special forces as a whole, but we won't go into that) And one of the main ones is unit cohesion, in war zones you have to stay with your team 24/7 and implementing women into the fighting units can disrupt cohesion. Also just by the very of men and women, women are more prone to lower extremity injuries as shown by the Russians defeat in Afghanistan. Furthermore some things, whether you like it or not, or just men's role. Has there ever been a war where women fought in the infantry? (Excluding the Russians in their war in Afghanistan) There's something called the band of brothers and implementing women into that band will harm our infantry....

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:03:28

I was comparing one aspect, no need to get huge into nations here.
Women in the infantry, Canada does do it, which is the only reason I brought that up. We have women fighting in the infantry in Afghanistan. We can argue this all day long, but there was no splitting of unit cohesion in my platoon or my section overseas because of my gender.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:05:21

At 2/28/10 08:57 PM, Dubbi wrote: And one of the main ones is unit cohesion, in war zones you have to stay with your team 24/7 and implementing women into the fighting units can disrupt cohesion.

I don't see how. If you're referring to sexual tension, I motion that being shot at kills the mood. In other words, that assertion is pretty unfounded, unless you have peer-reviewed studies to back it up.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:08:42

On the topic of factions, I wouldn't exactly use that word. There are disagreements between users, yes, but a faction? I don't know. I certainly don't think we should be taking sides or propositioning followers if there is.

Sorry for the double post.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:08:51

At 2/28/10 08:44 PM, stimcrab wrote:

My next order of business is that we need a couple WF specific mods. I'm aware this has probably been discussed before, but we can't rely on people from outside the WF to understand it. Naturally, Trevor is a good choice, but there are others.
There also needs to be more than one battle master for SSB and PB threads... I've volunteered myself for being a Poetry Battle Master. And we'll need to wait while Spindrift is crafting the rules.
Also, I've got to say for the topics for the poetry battle thread; they need a better way of being chosen. I agree that the challenger can't choose anything because he or she might have something ready, but it shouldn't be up to the battle master either (it'll eventually be hard for him or her to be impartial with all these factions). Maybe a random word generator?

Sticky are scripted, they are just only used for news and only admins can use them.

About the mod thing, we do need mods, but they should be chosen by the admins, not us. Even if we could, that selection would create even bigger separtion between "factions".

That's a lot, but it's to make up for my long absence from the Lounge, haha.

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:09:49

Everybody just shut up about sexism. If you're going to have a meltdown, don't do it in the WF lounge! This is for Writing Forum topics!

If you insist on continuing this, you're going to have to do it by PM or some other way.

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:11:09

At 2/28/10 09:05 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
At 2/28/10 08:57 PM, Dubbi wrote: And one of the main ones is unit cohesion, in war zones you have to stay with your team 24/7 and implementing women into the fighting units can disrupt cohesion.
I don't see how. If you're referring to sexual tension, I motion that being shot at kills the mood. In other words, that assertion is pretty unfounded, unless you have peer-reviewed studies to back it up.

Like I said, it didn't affect me or the other women in my company. There were women leaders the men even respected and followed. Sexual tension is limited depending on how one presented themselves. There were a few women who acted like professional soldiers and were treated as such. There were other women who liked to wear tight fitting clothing when off duty and do their hair and pretty themselves up, and for it they got ogled and generated sexual tension. The fact that women were there had no impact on unit cohesion, a person (read person, regardless of gender) were treated how they acted.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:12:21

At 2/28/10 09:09 PM, stimcrab wrote: This is for Writing Forum topics!

Woah, when did that happen? I remember other lounges allowing discussion that wasn't forum pertinent, I don't see why this one can't be.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:12:40

At 2/28/10 09:09 PM, stimcrab wrote: Everybody just shut up about sexism. If you're going to have a meltdown, don't do it in the WF lounge! This is for Writing Forum topics!

If you insist on continuing this, you're going to have to do it by PM or some other way.

Apologies, I was writing a reply when you posted this, didn't see it.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:13:12

I love how when a troll comes here we all take turns stabing it with a shinny stake of doom...

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:14:06

At 2/28/10 09:08 PM, TheSubject666 wrote:
About the mod thing, we do need mods, but they should be chosen by the admins, not us. Even if we could, that selection would create even bigger separtion between "factions".

Agreed. Admins would need to do it. But I'm just saying it should be someone from inside the WF. Like Trevor, Dubbi, Spindrift, me (surreptitious self-whoring), AssC, WritersBlock, etc.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:15:38

At 2/28/10 09:12 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
Woah, when did that happen? I remember other lounges allowing discussion that wasn't forum pertinent, I don't see why this one can't be.

Other forums also have Dick-neck.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:17:11

At 2/28/10 09:05 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:

Being trapped in the desert for a year makes men pretty crazy, sexual assualt has happened and if women are placed in infantry it will increase. There is no study about unit cohesion, but it's just commen sense. Anyway any further discussion should be done through pms, we're spamming up the lounge.
Links you may want to check out:
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2009/08/3 0/women-in-the-infantry/

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Loc ation=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA485306

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:18:10

At 2/28/10 09:15 PM, stimcrab wrote: Other forums also have Dick-neck.

But I don't see a good reason to keep it forum-specific. That kind of defeats the purpose of a lounge, doesn't it? Because most writing-forum pertinent subjects could easily just be discussed in individual discussion threads. When was this decision made?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:20:13

At 2/28/10 09:18 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:

But I don't see a good reason to keep it forum-specific. That kind of defeats the purpose of a lounge, doesn't it? Because most writing-forum pertinent subjects could easily just be discussed in individual discussion threads. When was this decision made?

Even so, the lounge is no place for a contentious debate.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:28:19

At 2/28/10 09:09 PM, stimcrab wrote: Everybody just shut up about sexism. If you're going to have a meltdown, don't do it in the WF lounge! This is for Writing Forum topics!

Yeah, I apologize. I got a bit carried away.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:33:12

Send Tom a message begging for golden monsters and he will provide you with golden monsters. Tom is a good guy....he listens.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:34:56

At 2/28/10 09:33 PM, TrevorW wrote: Send Tom a message begging for golden monsters and he will provide you with golden monsters. Tom is a good guy....he listens.

Ha?

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:36:44

Golden monsters? What hath Tom provided us?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:38:39

At 2/28/10 09:36 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Golden monsters? What hath Tom provided us?

Golden monsters are the devilish creation of the admins -- for whom they still serve -- which will destroy all spammers, flamers, and all the alike. Ultrabear.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:44:13

Sounds more like an archangel. But regardless, this is good news.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:46:07

I love this place. And Trevor, I love both of those lines. Can I get a turn at stabbing the trolly too?

But about admins, someone can suggest it to the admins. If ur going to, go do it, the sooner the better. It would be great to have a golden dragon.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:48:20

Wait, what happened while I was gone for the weekend, a troll? What did he do/say. I'm to lazy to look back into the thread.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:49:33

It was Xtreme's story contest. Only a few threads down. Somewhat amusing actually.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:50:06

At 2/28/10 09:48 PM, MaliciousAngel wrote: Wait, what happened while I was gone for the weekend, a troll? What did he do/say. I'm to lazy to look back into the thread.

There was a huge battle of the sexes on our very own little forum lounge, haha.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:53:40

And by huge battle he means SW versus Everyone else. She can definitely hold out on her own.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:56:32

At 2/28/10 09:53 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: And by huge battle he means SW versus Everyone else. She can definitely hold out on her own.

Was this an arguement or a story/poetry battle type thing. If it was an arguement what was it about, an who thought what?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-28 21:58:51

At 2/28/10 09:56 PM, MaliciousAngel wrote:
At 2/28/10 09:53 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: And by huge battle he means SW versus Everyone else. She can definitely hold out on her own.
Was this an arguement or a story/poetry battle type thing. If it was an arguement what was it about, an who thought what?

I was being a sexist and Sinfulwolf and to a certain extent, Insertfunnyusername got mad at me....

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature