00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How's NG Running on Your End?

14,165 Views | 155 Replies
Respond to this Topic

How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:46:26

I just voted for over 50 submissions on the UNDER 200 VOTES LIST, and I did it without receiving a single extreme load error. In fact, I did it without even seeing a slow page load!

There have been multiple server issues we are working to resolve, and after this recent test, I'm starting to think we might have actually solved them this time around! I don't want to get ahead of myself, though. How is the site running for everyone else?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:48:14

awsome, the sites runnign great way to go tom!

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:48:17

Its been running surprisingly smooth tonight. Earlier on, it was really error prone. But its going good tonight.

I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was.

Now what I'm with isn't it and what's it seems weird and scary to me.

It'll happen to you!

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:48:25

Could be a tad bit faster, but I'm running well enough.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:49:33

At 1/12/04 02:46 AM, TomFulp wrote: There have been multiple server issues we are working to resolve, and after this recent test, I'm starting to think we might have actually solved them this time around!

It seems that whatever you did has worked. As of a couple minutes ago, it has been running MUCH quicker, that is, it is actually loading at a reasonable speed. I assume that you just now did what you have; it seems to have worked well.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:50:22

Pretty good. Haven't had an error in a while.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:51:13

At 1/12/04 02:46 AM, TomFulp wrote: I just voted for over 50 submissions on the UNDER 200 VOTES LIST, and I did it without receiving a single extreme load error. In fact, I did it without even seeing a slow page load!

There have been multiple server issues we are working to resolve, and after this recent test, I'm starting to think we might have actually solved them this time around! I don't want to get ahead of myself, though. How is the site running for everyone else?

it's running really sweetly, Tom. Thanks for tackling those issues.

Just one thing, though, and it's not a performance thing, but it does affect us clients' performance.

I love banners, don't mind pop-ups, and am irritated but deal with those "yes/no do you want to install a browser applet" pop-ups usually... but lately there's been a couple different types of those that are fairly malicious. One has been jamming up a lot of people on the Thanks for Voting page or on the BBS for over a minute while it loads. It's taken up to 90 seconds for me, and you can't do ANYTHING in the window until it's done, so it's not like most pop-ups that way.

And even worse, yesterday a weathercast one popped up, that even when I clicked no on it, a little tiny web window popped up AFTER clicking no, and it crashed my computer.

Just thought you might want to be aware of those. I'd personally love to see more banner space and more regular pop-ups if it'd get rid of those damned "install our software by clicking yes, or we'll crash your computer!" dialog box pop-ups.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:56:34

I voted on nearly 3 1/2 pages and I didn't have any error pop up and it was running quite fast for me.

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:57:12

I been voting on pages 72-76 and got 1 error

So it seems to be running great right now :)

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:57:16

I just voted on about 30 m'self and I haven't had any errors. Everything's working top-notch.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:57:19

Absolutely awfully, I get a server load error or a code 3 virtually every page. I just got one now when I tried to post that last sentence.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:58:03

At 1/12/04 02:51 AM, gfoxcook wrote:

:: I love banners, don't mind pop-ups, and am irritated but deal with those "yes/no do you want to install a browser applet" pop-ups usually... but lately there's been a couple different types of those that are fairly malicious. One has been jamming up a lot of people on the Thanks for Voting page or on the BBS for over a minute while it loads. It's taken up to 90 seconds for me, and you can't do ANYTHING in the window until it's done, so it's not like most pop-ups that way.

When I get back from San Diego, I'm planning to take a good long look at our advertisers, who is running what pop-ups, etc. etc. I would definitely like to remove the more malicious auto-installers. I don't personally mind the basic active-x ones so much, because they load much faster than a pop-up and are easy to get rid of as long as they don't play any tricks.

Of course I would love to get rid of ANY pop-up on the site, but you know what happens then... Instead of bumping up to 400mbps of bandwidth, we get forced to bump back down to 200. Two steps forward, one step back... Or something like that.

But we hope to have a new layout soon which incorporates superbanners more exclusively. Depending on how well that works, it could make a big difference. Also, I do hope to avoid superbanners that auto-expand. I think that is completely pointless seeing as the ads are already large, but in the end we always end up bending over for advertisers. :/

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:58:38

At 1/12/04 02:57 AM, Sekky wrote: Absolutely awfully, I get a server load error or a code 3 virtually every page. I just got one now when I tried to post that last sentence.

Seriously???

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 02:59:01

I think it was only running smoothly because peak hours ended...but i may and probably am wrong.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:01:23

*loads 100 pages at 1 time* total amout of error pages: 0!! adverage total amout at 2:00 to 5:30 am (my time) 4. i will try again after school tomarow. but that is impresive.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:02:32

i get a extreme error load only in the day time maybe its when too many people are or or something

i just voted for 50 movies in the last hour or so without any problems

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:02:45

I think I ran into a few earlier, but I haven't in the past hour.

WAY TO GO TOMMY!

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:02:59

's good (RAB rip)

No more fucking moving .gifs? WHAT THE HELL. FUCK YOU.

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:03:39

It's running alot smoother than it used to, but I still find myself with a handful of errors everytime I'm on.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:04:47

At 1/12/04 02:58 AM, TomFulp wrote: When I get back from San Diego, I'm planning to take a good long look at our advertisers, who is running what pop-ups, etc. etc. I would definitely like to remove the more malicious auto-installers. I don't personally mind the basic active-x ones so much, because they load much faster than a pop-up and are easy to get rid of as long as they don't play any tricks.

Ah, I didn't know what to call them. Active-x, then.

Yeah, I don't mind the basic ones either. Just the ones that, as you said, are playing tricks. I don't know if the 90 second jam ups are really tricks, but you'll see ones with different names/descriptions/companies load within 2 seconds, and then a different one takes 90 seconds. So it's definitely not connection speed or computer or time of day or internet clogging related... it's just the way that specific active-x pop-up is behaving. But the weathercast one and it's extra pop-up after you decline the first one is the worst. I'm just glad you're aware of those.

Of course I would love to get rid of ANY pop-up on the site, but you know what happens then... Instead of bumping up to 400mbps of bandwidth, we get forced to bump back down to 200. Two steps forward, one step back... Or something like that.

yep. Like I said, non-misbehaving pop-ups are cool with most of us, I think.

But we hope to have a new layout soon which incorporates superbanners more exclusively. Depending on how well that works, it could make a big difference. Also, I do hope to avoid superbanners that auto-expand. I think that is completely pointless seeing as the ads are already large, but in the end we always end up bending over for advertisers. :/

I look forward to seeing that new banner-oriented layout. And even if they're huge or auto-expand, they can't be worse than the misbehaving active-x pop-ups. #;-}>

Though there is ONE type of banner I've come to dislike: the ones that play video and/or audio at high quality, leading to skipping on crapping machines like mine, even though my connection rate is fine. :::crosses fingers:::

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:05:40

At 1/12/04 02:51 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
Just thought you might want to be aware of those. I'd personally love to see more banner space and more regular pop-ups if it'd get rid of those damned "install our software by clicking yes, or we'll crash your computer!" dialog box pop-ups.

I agree with you, something like that happened to me... I don't mind banners because I personally ignore most of them and just close them off. But... There are some that I can't close and they just use up minutes of my time. I can't use ad blocking programs because for some reason I can't view signature pics and the whole portal is just blank, there’s honestly nothing on it... Same with the front page, the buttons literally don’t show up... Anyways, overall I don't mind pop ups or banners as long as they don't get into my way or use up a large portion of my viewing time. Thanks for hearing me out!

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:07:36

its been shitty
i had to repost more than 15 times to night cause of erors
but im used to that on sundays
but other than sundays the only time i have problems anymore is when a popup causes the page error
im pretty sue thats why i get so many errors is cause of the pop ups
one time it caused a quad post by me in the A S M...im just glad a mod didnt see it
cause they were all different post times
it was weird

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:07:50

I haven't gotten any errors, this is awesome. I love when things work!

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:10:47

At 1/12/04 02:46 AM, TomFulp wrote: I just voted for over 50 submissions on the UNDER 200 VOTES LIST, and I did it without receiving a single extreme load error. In fact, I did it without even seeing a slow page load!

An hour ago I did 300, I didn't see one error message and I even had 15 pages open at a time. So, I'm guess you did something :)

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:11:13

Tom! I have an idea. You should add a link in every movie that can take you to the under 200 votes page! Maybe get more people to vote... Idk, just an idea.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:13:58

At 1/12/04 03:11 AM, TOXICBOMB wrote: Tom! I have an idea. You should add a link in every movie that can take you to the under 200 votes page! Maybe get more people to vote... Idk, just an idea.

its coming off preity quick. i just voted on 100 of them since my last post. (no errors their either.) i dunno, i think the new system is working very well, i have gotten no errors, when i usually would have gotten several. well see tomarow thow, now wont we, personally i think this helped more that the bump of band width...maby.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:16:19

Umm, I just got this: Error - internal server error. The site's administrator has been notified. Please try the site again in a few minutes. (code: 3) Please go back and try again.

:(

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:16:32

Umm...I just got seven in a row

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:23:06

I just voted for about 40 of the UNDER 200 VOTES LIST submissions and everything ran smooth, site seems to get better every time you guys tweak with it.

Response to How's NG Running on Your End? 2004-01-12 03:25:38

i notice that i havent been getting many BBS errors. nice fix tom!