00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Military Crew

68,705 Views | 521 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-25 13:30:38

At 9/25/09 08:11 AM, fallensoul289 wrote: I have this stupid thing called A.D.D and take medicine for it the air force won't take me. Is this true or can I get a form or something that will override that?

ive been in the air force for over 4 years and ive never heard of anyone being disqualified because of ADD. sometimes recruiters are assholes. try getting a letter from a doctor stating that ADD doesnt interfere with your daily life, and that the medication allows you to focus well. then maybe get like a note from a teacher saying you have no problems concentrating and preform well in class...no guarantees, but that might help...

Also don't tell me to lie because I don't feel like being put in jail and being fined.

unfortunately, alot of people lie in their enlistment papers. especially about drug use. it doesnt happen often, but sometimes it does come back and bite them in the ass. so i wouldnt suggest lying. talk to a recruiter...maybe a different one than youve been dealing with...and see if some documentation from a doctor will help.

AND, best of luck to you! whatever you decide to do, thanks for wanting to serve your country. even just that is WAY more than many people are willing to do!

...i've been here a while...

This is my awesome new sig...Do you like it?

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-25 21:04:23

Relax dude, I joined the army and I have ADHD. Be straight up with the recruiter and he'll advise you in the best course of action. If he tells you to not bring it up, it's because it's so minor that it doesn't need to be brought up. The recruiter puts himself on the line with every person he recruits, and if your ADD is enough of a problem to cause your enlistment to be fraudulent, then he's not going to want to put his ass out there to get in trouble any more than you do. If you do your job and having ADD doesn't effect that, then you've got nothing to worry about.

However, since you are on medication for it, I doubt it's going to be something they're going to want to sweep under the carpet, as the military will want to take it upon themselves to prescribe you their medicine and give it to you for free as opposed to you getting it from off post doctors. That form you're thinking of is called a waiver, and you might have to get one since you are on meds. Since it's something minor like ADD though, (are you just on ritalin or something similar?) there really shouldn't be any issues with it, depending on what job you're aiming for. I have plenty of friends in here with me that have ADD and it's a complete and total non-issue and it didn't affect the terms under which they joined. Don't stress it. Just be straight up with your recruiter and you've got nothing to worry about.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-25 23:23:07

Hey I am most likely going to try and join the Navybut I am worried I wont be able to join because im virtually blind in my right eye but have perfect vision in my left eye. better then perfect actually it's 20/15. COuld i still join the navy just wont be able to do anything that involves combat? I would love to do combat but they wont let me because of my eye vision im sure.

"Target is going to be flooded with desperate NGers now."LoKoCoCo lol

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:04:05

Pfff... reservists....

E-3 USMC
MOS 6323
Active Duty

Do I qualify?

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:08:58

The OP is a marine reservist. :P He's doing active duty stuff right now though. He should be back around here any day. It hasn't been like a join type of club though. It's more just a large discussion about all things military. There's lots of high school kids who come in here and ask questions about the branches which we all answer, and discuss the differences between our branches and lol at what noobs the coast guard are. Haha. Feel free to jump in the conversation.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:15:23

While I'm not enlisted in the military, and forgive me if I'm intruding here, but I'd like to know the reasons as to why you enlisted. I'm keeping personal opinions out and just asking for a brief rundown, if you guys don't mind.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:25:44

It's cool dude. I joined because of this most fucking definitely. Haha. No but seriously, it just seemed like it was a cool thing to do. I saw rangers in black hawk down and the shit looked cool. So I looked up more stuff about them on youtube and in other places and it seemed like it was the perfect thing for me, and the next thing I knew, it went from being a "hey that'd be pretty cool" feeling to "I will not rest until I'm in Ranger bat" one. The thing that strayed me away from the normal path though was that I've got ADHD and I knew if I went to college right after high school that I was gonna probably flunk out because I just didn't take the shit serious. So I figured I'd go jump out of planes and blow shit up for a few years. :P

It's been pretty cool so far. I spent my whole life in Illinois up until I joined, and since then I've been to Georgia, California, Alaska, and then I got the opportunity to drive from Alaska back to Georgia for FREE, which was probably the coolest experience of my life (seeing as jumping out of planes is way overrated.) I wish I woulda talked to biteme2514 before the trip though seeing as I drove right through Vancouver. :P No matter, I might be heading up there again for Christmas.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:32:53

I joined because I felt as its something I wanted to do. I left a decent job and a stable and satifying lifestyle for the Marines. I decided that I didn't want to spend my life thinking "what if I joined". I love what I do and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-26 00:42:38

i joined for the free college...and the travel...i spent 4 years active and am now in the reserves. ive been to iceland, italy, slovenia, austria, germany, switzerland, iraq, qatar...in the states, texas, north dakota, and indiana...all because of the air force...currently living back home in illinois...its not for everyone, but if you decide its what you want it is quite an experience.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-30 15:09:21

Pfff... Aircraft systems mechanic...

Just so you know, I know a lot of reservists that have deployed more than many active duty members who stay CONUS their whole "4 year career". There's no shame in being a reservist, unless you don't do shit for your whole 6 years.

Anyways, I'm back from my two month stint on the active side, which was very prolific, and which is hopefully going to get me put on a board to pick up my second chevron. Gotta love being able to do your job better than some Sergeants that have been in for 6 years.

As far as club membership goes, I stated in the beginning if you have an association to the military, I will consider you a part of the club. Just as in real life, we all distinguish ourselves as being part of a certain group that has served their country, we can sort of find an identifier here to discuss in a sort of brotherhood environment.

Knocking on the head of different services is always allowed, in good jest of course. I am a proud Marine after all, and certainly love to joke around that the other services are inferior, as michelinman likes to point out that we are intellectually inferior (yet I have a GT score of 128).

I'm back in school now, so my schedule allows me to frequent here more often, I'll have to make a current list of members soon.

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-30 15:48:46

Thought I would let you guys know before anyone else.... also sorry for not being very active in the thread for awhile.... Anyway:

Guess who is going to Iraq next year!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-30 16:44:31

At 9/30/09 03:48 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Thought I would let you guys know before anyone else.... also sorry for not being very active in the thread for awhile.... Anyway:

Nice.. I didn't know we were still sending out to Iraq. Know what region you're going to? I don't know where the Air Force hangs out..

Response to Military Crew 2009-09-30 17:05:18

At 9/30/09 04:44 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 9/30/09 03:48 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Thought I would let you guys know before anyone else.... also sorry for not being very active in the thread for awhile.... Anyway:

Nice.. I didn't know we were still sending out to Iraq. Know what region you're going to? I don't know where the Air Force hangs out..

they might be sending me back next year too, havent found out for sure yet. from the looks of it, the squad is going to kirkuk...

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-05 01:26:49

At 10/4/09 11:40 PM, Eman110 wrote: 1) I've narrowed down my choices of enlistment to either the US Army or the US Marine core. I was wondering what some of the differences between the Army and the Marines are (eg: Physical requirements, most common places to be deployed to, common deployment durations, etc.).

im air force, so dont take my word on this info, just going off what ive heard/seen talking to and working with soldiers/marines...from what ive seen, typical army deployments are anywhere from 12 to 18 months, depending on the mission. and that usually includes any deployment specific training. ive heard marines have a 7 month rotation...as with any deployment any service member goes on, the length and location are going to depend on your job (your MOS as the army calls it...we call is an AFSC...not important though, im rambling...) and mission requirements.

2) Which do you think is better? Army or Marines? Also, please explain why.

both services are integral parts of our nations defense and are equally vital to the preservation of freedom and democracy across the globe...theres your "p/c air force" answer...my opinion: dealing with both as an MP, the marine corps seems to have a better respect for authority and more discipline...thats not to say the army lacks in that category, just overall ive dealt with more soldiers with piss poor attitudes than marines...that being said, there are alot more soldiers out there than marines. either way, they both put the AF to shame when it comes to discipline, one of my many issues with my chosen branch.

blah, blah, blah...anyway, if you want more of a "who has better benefits?" answer, youll have to wait for the other guys to help you there. i just know the benefits that are DoD wide...and the AF benefits of course. both get the Montgomery G.I. Bill (and now the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill for active duty service).

3) Do either have some type of cadet or jr. officer program?

both have JROTC (junior reserve officer training corps) programs usually offered through your high school. spending X number of years in jrotc can get you extra rank upon completing basic training. for the air force, at least 3 years in any branches jrotc program can earn you E-3. not sure what the army/marine corps gives you.

Thanks in advance!

hope this helps. sorry i wasnt able to give you better info.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-05 02:47:01

At 10/4/09 11:41 PM, Eman110 wrote:
At 10/4/09 11:40 PM, Eman110 wrote:
1) I've narrowed down my choices of enlistment to either the US Army or the US Marine core
whoops, sorry for the spelling FAIL there!

Son, I was about to rip your ass up for that one, good thing your caught yourself. It's capital C too. Corps.

I'll tell you why the Marines are better in a day. I just got back from working an almost 15 hour day, so I need some sleep. This will go on tomorrow don't worry, I'm just too tired to write too much right now.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-05 14:50:42

At 10/5/09 02:47 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote: I'll tell you why the Marines are better
I just got back from working an almost 15 hour day

Lolwut? Haha. How've you been man? Nice to see you back around these parts. We gots us an Air Force representative now. Haha. Anyways Eman, As the DA for the United States Army in this thread, I'll release this statement for you to ponder. Every morning (5:15) we get into a row of 4 formations. like this.
-
- - - -

1 for each of the 4 platoons, and the First Sergeant stands in the front. Well then they call all the formations together, which means me, being all the way on the left, has to walk my happy ass all the way to the right, so we now look like this.
-
- - - -

Then, in order for us to stretch, we have to spread out to arms width so we have room to do jumping jacks, cherry pickers, and all manner of synchronized, degrading exercises that make you feel like you're part of a broadway musical. So the people that just walked all the way to the right now turn around, and walk right back to where they came from. WHY EMAN? WHY THE FUCK WOULD WE WALK 100 YARDS IN ONE DIRECTION, THEN TURN AROUND AND WALK RIGHT THE FUCK BACK? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY GODDAMN SENSE!!!

This, is a metaphor for the way the Army is run. Their priorities are so completely out of whack, it's retarded. You will spend a lot of time cleaning things you don't use, landscaping work areas that you don't give a shit about, and overall just being surrounded by an aura of gayness thicker than one at a male strip club in San Francisco. Then, when you get off work, you go to the barracks which we affectionately refer to as PRISON, WHERE YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO CLEAN MORE! It's great!

All in all, I wouldn't recommend anyone join the Army unless they've really got nowhere else to turn. If you need money for college and all that, Try the National Guard or listen to what Spiffy says and see if that floats your boat. But as far as the army goes, that goatse picture doesn't even do justice to how pillaged and abused your rectum by the time your contract expires. JOIN NOW!

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-05 14:53:17

Dammit. My little diagrams didn't work. :( Oh well, you get the idea I think. Haha.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-05 15:18:52

At 10/5/09 02:53 PM, michelinman wrote: Dammit. My little diagrams didn't work. :( Oh well, you get the idea I think. Haha.

Yea, a great DA you make!

HA HA

I rest my case.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 11:24:28

Here are a few sites that will offer some helpful info in your decision. The key is research, there is alot of mis-information that goes on while your in the military (so called LCpl Underground) and people tend to make up info on the spot. I did over a year of research on what I wanted to do and so far, I've been surprised very little times. Remember this isn't a job where you can come and go as you please, the military will own you for at least four years and they will demand alot out of you. But if you apply yourself and put forth the extra effort, you can get alot form the military in terms of the benefits they offer.

As for my personal experience, I love it I get to work on huge helicopters everyday, my command is really chill, so they don't give me too many headaches and best of all, I have a chow hall only 50 ft away.

http://www.marines.com/
http://www.army.mil/
http://www.goarmy.com/#/?marquee=vw&chan nel=careers
http://www.marines.mil/Pages/Default.asp x
http://www.military.com/
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningth emilitary/Joining_the_United_States_Mili tary.htm
http://www.militaryspot.com/

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 12:05:52

Hey was just peaking about when I saw this.

Cpl in the Canadian Army.
My trade is Infantry.
Just got back from a tour in Afghanistan.
Yes, I am a female, I am still able to do my job quite well.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 13:50:53

At 10/6/09 12:05 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Hey was just peaking about when I saw this.

Cpl in the Canadian Army.
My trade is Infantry.
Just got back from a tour in Afghanistan.
Yes, I am a female, I am still able to do my job quite well.

They have females in Infantry in the Canadian Army?? Holy shit. Fucking Canadians.

I'll have to tell Krev, she wanted to be infantry, but here no females allowed.

You're more than welcome to join us, I would love the insight of a woman on these matters.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 15:02:57

At 10/6/09 01:50 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
They have females in Infantry in the Canadian Army?? Holy shit. Fucking Canadians.

You're more than welcome to join us, I would love the insight of a woman on these matters.

Indeed. Women are allowed into the combat arms trades in the Canadian military.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 22:37:05

At 10/6/09 03:02 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 10/6/09 01:50 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:

Indeed. Women are allowed into the combat arms trades in the Canadian military.

That is awesome. Submarines are just now starting to allow women to serve on board and the Marines have implemented all female patrols in Afghanistan to build relations with the local populace. So our women to face danger, they just can't go straight up infantry, which I'm sure is purly political.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-06 23:02:45

At 10/6/09 10:37 PM, KennyD wrote:
That is awesome. Submarines are just now starting to allow women to serve on board and the Marines have implemented all female patrols in Afghanistan to build relations with the local populace. So our women to face danger, they just can't go straight up infantry, which I'm sure is purly political.

There's no all female patrols in Afghanistan. There's special patrols that they send out that have women, so that the women there can feel more comfortable, because they aren't suppose to speak to men usually because of their culture.

Women in infantry isn't something purely political, mostly they don't want women in infantry, because most wouldn't cut it and they feel it would be too much of a distraction. Especially in the Marine Corps, the training for infantry is one of the hardest out there. I'm sure there may be a few women who might be able to make it, but they don't want to waste money in trying to train women that won't make it. It's a non-deniable fact that most men are stronger than most women... not to be a knock on anyone. There's always exceptions to the rules though... so don't hold this as absolutely true either. Obviously we have a female with us that's in infantry, but I have no idea how the Canadian Army infantry works...

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 02:34:56

This seems like an interesting crew, I don't have any intention to join the military when I'm older though I think I'll link it into my signature still just to keep you guys alive.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 04:02:11

At 10/7/09 02:34 AM, FurryDemon wrote: This seems like an interesting crew, I don't have any intention to join the military when I'm older though I think I'll link it into my signature still just to keep you guys alive.

??? because this club would certainly die out without a link in your sig...i appreciate you trying to "look out" for us, but we have enough active members to keep this club going. it may not be posting multiple pages everyday, but thats because this club isnt full of a bunch of people talking about random things that have nothing to do with the club itself. we stay on topic. this is a club to assist people who are interested in joining the military make the best decision, or just for anyone with a military related question/story...if you dont have any interest in the military then thanks but no thanks...

A little self absorbed to assume youd be doing us a favor with a little link in your signature...just sayin'...

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 12:27:41

Leaving for Boot Camp on Sunday.

Arriving at Boot Camp on Tuesday.

Any tips on how to make it a pleasant 3 months? You know, how not to screw up and get quarter-decked, that stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 16:31:11

At 10/7/09 12:27 PM, TehreTard wrote: Leaving for Boot Camp on Sunday.

Arriving at Boot Camp on Tuesday.

Any tips on how to make it a pleasant 3 months? You know, how not to screw up and get quarter-decked, that stuff.

Fly low. Under the radar. Don't volunteer for such great positions as squad leader or even worse, guide. unless you think you really know what you're doing haha.

A great position to volunteer for is Scribe. If they ask who knows how to use a computer well or how to write well raise your hand. You'll have some extra tasks to do, but you will probably get to make the fire watch list, which can be the greatest thing ever for you.

Just remember to never take anything personal. Drill instructors are there to make your life a living hell so to speak. You will never be able to avoid getting trashed, either as a platoon or individually. While you can avoid the quarter deck, you most likely won't, but you certainly won't avoid having the drill instructors mess with the whole group. No matter how fast or how perfect you do things, they will always find something wrong to mess with you.

Also, always listen, and do exactly as they tell you. Don't try to take any initiative to do anything extra. Take everything they say to the letter, nothing more, nothing less. You're not there to think for yourself, you're there to learn to listen to every command and execute with extreme precision.

Hopefully, you'll notice there's always someone stupider than you who will fuck up, I just hope you don't end up being one of the shitbags. But if you have a good head on your shoulders, it won't be as hard as it sounds. I'll see you on the other side recruit.

Oh and if you have a girlfriend, make sure to let her know to write you every day. You get to send out a letter with your address once you get there, so do that. You'll love getting those once you're in. I thought I would hate it, but I loved getting my letters (they distribute almost every day).

Get plenty of rest on the plane, you might not sleep for a while once you get there, you'll be up all night processing in and getting to a processing platoon. If you get there on Tuesday you'll be with that platoon until the following Friday which is when you'll start with your actual platoon and drill instructors (known as black friday). Depending on the DIs, it might be one of your worst days ever haha.

But yea, have fun, it's not as bad as it sounds, and I'll see you on the other side recruit. Hopefully they make you a man and I'll be proud to call you a brother.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 16:59:10

Boot camp is more of a mental game than anything else. If you don't want to get messed with, just stay low, don't bring attention to yourself, and just do what your told. If you do volunteer for something, you'll get messed with, but there are benefits, such as no fire watch, higher chance of getting promoted at the end of boot camp and a jump on building those leadership skills.
The quarterdeck is something you can't avoid, I found myself on it quite a few times, so I learned to love it, its the best workouts I ever got while I was there and eventually it couldn't be used as punishment against me because I enjoyed it too much. Speaking of workouts, once you get free time ask you senior DI for a workout program and slay yourself for 30 minutes every day. Save writing for when you wake up to take that midnight dump or piss (drink 2 canteens of water before bed) If you have a girlfriend, good luck with that, 2/3 of my platoon got dear john letters, including me. The two biggest things are drill and rifle range. Your DI's want those two trophies and winning them may earn you a call home, and make the most of every opportunity to practice your drill and your rifle positions, it'll pay of later. Another thing is mark everything and don't get attached to anything but your money/valuables bag. At any given time, everything can be thrown into the middle of the squad bay and you end up with nothing thats yours. But at the end, its worth it, getting my eagle, globe and anchor was one of the best days of my life, and looking back on bootcamp, you'll strangely enjoy it.

Response to Military Crew 2009-10-07 17:43:49

At 10/6/09 11:02 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/6/09 10:37 PM, KennyD wrote:
There's no all female patrols in Afghanistan. There's special patrols that they send out that have women, so that the women there can feel more comfortable, because they aren't suppose to speak to men usually because of their culture.

Women in infantry isn't something purely political, mostly they don't want women in infantry, because most wouldn't cut it and they feel it would be too much of a distraction. Especially in the Marine Corps, the training for infantry is one of the hardest out there. I'm sure there may be a few women who might be able to make it, but they don't want to waste money in trying to train women that won't make it. It's a non-deniable fact that most men are stronger than most women... not to be a knock on anyone. There's always exceptions to the rules though... so don't hold this as absolutely true either. Obviously we have a female with us that's in infantry, but I have no idea how the Canadian Army infantry works...

I've never ever heard of all female patrols. Since we have women in the infantry up here in the north though, its easy enough to bring a female on patrol to search and talk with the local females.

Also, I take no offense from your statements. I'm fully aware men are generally stronger than females, and most women wouldn't be able to do this job. Some can though, myself included. I was one of three women in my company overseas.

I also can's really compare our training to the Americans because I've had very little experience with American training. Especially Marine Corps.