00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MadManOnMeds just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,788,801 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 11:28:23

At 5/4/11 03:56 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/3/11 11:05 PM, jarrydn wrote: Was thinking of going i7, but there doesn't seem to be much point. Anyone care to sway me?
If nothing else, get the i7 just for the sake of futureproofing/longevity.

Implying technology doesn't pretty much double in how far its come every couple years.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 12:02:29

At 5/4/11 10:45 AM, SBB wrote:
you're going to laugh at that quote a few years from now

I say two more years.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 12:02:57

At 5/4/11 11:28 AM, Envy wrote:
At 5/4/11 03:56 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/3/11 11:05 PM, jarrydn wrote: Was thinking of going i7, but there doesn't seem to be much point. Anyone care to sway me?
If nothing else, get the i7 just for the sake of futureproofing/longevity.
Implying technology doesn't pretty much double in how far its come every couple years.

Yeah, Logical, Envy and SBB pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

4 physical cores is fine for me, 8 virtual cores seems kinda useless, especially as FLstudio doesn't really seem to handle multiple cores in a very sophisticated fashion (I could be wrong on this one, anyone?).

RAM to me is much more important. 16GB will mean that I can eliminate swapping, which I assume can only mean good things for my system drive (of which I want to buy a fairly nice one). Still haven't decided between SSD or 10,000 RPM platter, but in either case, keeping the read/write cycles to a minimum will keep it healthy and reliable.

Plus I want to start working with samples and live audio manipulation (as well as film editing, image manipulation, and possibly even 3D rendering if it ever takes my fancy), and it just seems to me that there's no such thing as too much ram. RAM is fast, cheap, and available in quantities that far exceed the total capacity of the hard drive that I had in my computer back in 2002.

I guess the point is that I'd rather cough up $70 and double my RAM, rather than spend $100+ and trick my computer into thinking it had 8 cores.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 12:30:57

NEW COMPUTERS

Get a sandy-bridge i7. The 2600k is the best bang for the buck. I would even go to 24gigs of ram, if your motherboard ends up being triple-channel. As far as future proofing, that's decent for a setup that lasts you 4-7 years. As far as FL not supporting multi-core, I'm sure about that, but it's safe to assume that since every other major DAW is shifting to multi-core support, it's safe to assume that FL will introduce such support in the near future as part of it's next upgrade.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 12:37:08

At 5/4/11 12:30 PM, brokendeck wrote: NEW COMPUTERS

Get a sandy-bridge i7. The 2600k is the best bang for the buck. I would even go to 24gigs of ram, if your motherboard ends up being triple-channel. As far as future proofing, that's decent for a setup that lasts you 4-7 years. As far as FL not supporting multi-core, I'm sure about that, but it's safe to assume that since every other major DAW is shifting to multi-core support, it's safe to assume that FL will introduce such support in the near future as part of it's next upgrade.

Can you explain to me how the i7 2600k will benefit me enough over the i5 2500k to justify spending the extra $100?

I think I'll be safe with 16GB for now, but RAM is getting so cheap that if I really want to beef it up to 24GB, I can pretty easily.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 13:31:47

At 5/4/11 12:37 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 5/4/11 12:30 PM, brokendeck wrote: NEW COMPUTERS

Can you explain to me how the i7 2600k will benefit me enough over the i5 2500k to justify spending the extra $100?

Hmm I guess it won't since you're going to be using FL studio as your main DAW, and FL doesn't support hyper threading. I had to look up whether FL supported HT. I thought it did, but I guess not :( Oopsie on my part for that then...

I think I'll be safe with 16GB for now, but RAM is getting so cheap that if I really want to beef it up to 24GB, I can pretty easily.

Not really. You have to decide beforehand whether to go with a dual-channel motherboard or a triple channel motherboard. A dual channel motherboard has enough slots for 4 DIMMs. 4x4GB = 16gb right. Only a triple channel motherboard can go up to 24 GB. Since there are no 8GB DIMMs, you're stuck with 4GB per DIMM. So if you want the future possibility of going to 24GB form a lower amount of Ram, you'll probably be better off getting 12GB of ram from a triple channel motherboard first. Then adding an additional 12GB at a later date to get 24. Keep in mind also, that each type of DIMM has a limited shelf-time. Just because a particular DIMM may be available upon your purchase date, doesn't mean that it will be available at a later date. You might have to get 12 GB of a different model or make, and that isn't a good thing to mix DIMMs in a motherboard. A rule of thumb is to have all your memory the exact same brand and model, and that's not always possible when implementing DIMMS of different purchase periods.

(sorry for the wall-o-text, but I'm bored and I got nothing better to do in HK lol)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 13:38:02

Balls

Does anyone have an extra pair? Because i need it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 13:40:34

Since no one in the lounge has apparently mentioned it...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 13:40:47

At 5/4/11 01:38 PM, FairSquare wrote: Balls

Look here.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 14:34:27

At 5/4/11 02:31 PM, Chronamut wrote:

I do - but you have to come here and get them :P

Relevant.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 15:21:27

At 5/4/11 02:34 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Relevant.

I'm not so sure about that, he seems pretty legit. It must be the pink Aura, it just oozes with trustworthiness.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 16:07:26

At 5/4/11 01:31 PM, brokendeck wrote:
Hmm I guess it won't since you're going to be using FL studio as your main DAW, and FL doesn't support hyper threading. I had to look up whether FL supported HT. I thought it did, but I guess not :( Oopsie on my part for that then...

It totally does have hyper threading support, but it runs into problems with plugins like East Wests Play. Its not fully integrated with everything yet, just like their 64bit plugin support. (which also doesnt work with Play godamnit)

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 16:29:20

Hmm.. tempting..

At 5/4/11 03:55 PM, LaForge wrote: I don't even have a pair myself, let alone an extra lying around.

Ha, i don't even have a counter for that. Touché

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 16:34:31

At 5/4/11 04:29 PM, FairSquare wrote:

Hmm.. tempting..

You won't dare to take them - you're too much of a coward FairSquare.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 16:52:16

At 5/4/11 04:34 PM, SBB wrote: You won't dare to take them - you're too much of a coward FairSquare.

It's a virtuous circle

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 19:19:22

5 fellow musicians in my music program broke out in tears today. They work us way too hard! But whatever two more days til its over with then I can celebrate my 21st bday this saturday in style!

Oh also randomly recorded me playing a movement of Haydns first sonata. Fuckin hate having 9 birds squawk over everything.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 19:44:42

At 5/4/11 07:19 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: Oh also randomly recorded me playing a movement of Haydns first sonata. Fuckin hate having 9 birds squawk over everything.

i am impressed with your performance. much better than i at playing piano.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 19:53:37

At 5/4/11 07:19 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: Oh also randomly recorded me playing a movement of Haydns first sonata. Fuckin hate having 9 birds squawk over everything.

I am not impressed! I expected this piece to either be played by the birds OR by your individual buttcheeks, F for effort, A for playing ability :P

5 fellow musicians in my music program broke out in tears today. They work us way too hard! But whatever two more days til its over with then I can celebrate my 21st bday this saturday in style!

What sort of music is your program making you guys play?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 19:56:21

At 5/4/11 07:19 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:

Oh also randomly recorded me playing a movement of Haydns first sonata. Fuckin hate having 9 birds squawk over everything.

That is some good quality recording. Impressive stuff.

I will be able to practice the piano again when I move back to my old home in July. I forgot what it was like to practice, it has been a while. I may record myself play sometime. :3

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-04 20:03:19

At 5/4/11 07:53 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
What sort of music is your program making you guys play?

Well each person has to do 3-5 pieces on their principle instrument infront of a jury of doctored performers on a main stage. But the way the music degree is there people have to take a minimum of 7-8 classes at a time so we all have a huge amount of finals. The 4th semester theory people have to compose their own tonal piece and commission players for a performance they conduct too and theres been major drama with that.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 08:48:41

HEY GUYS i made a blog/webcomic lol

http://everydayidrawadick.com/ (NSFW)

p.s. i am gay

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 08:48:49

Picture of the day

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 08:56:22

Roflcopters

So today, me and my friend were listening to Heaven Road 2 (props Envy :P ) and he said he reckoned it would sound better if it was faster. After fiddling around, I was in a troll mood so I decided to completely destroy it. 20 minutes, 25% percent faster and 3 soundgoodixers later, I had thoroughly butchered it... the look on his face tomorrow when I play it to him is going to be priceless.

bork bork bork

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 10:13:30

At 5/5/11 08:54 AM, Bjra wrote:
At 5/5/11 08:48 AM, midimachine wrote: HEY GUYS i made a blog/webcomic lol

http://everydayidrawadick.com/ (NSFW)
I dare you to do this for a whole year straight. It will go viral

I'll try doing this for the rest of my life.

I was able to do this for nearly 3 months a couple years ago, if I get a moderately sized following that I actually know is there it'll be easier to keep going cause I hate letting people down!

p.s. i am gay

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 12:29:51

At 5/5/11 11:30 AM, Chronamut wrote: Loansindi vs "Kansas"

you be the judge.

So how's that acapella contest that YOU wanted going?

Do I smell another deserted NAC?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 12:42:04

NAC

It's kind of hard to keep people knowing about a contest when it is a page behind since people are forced to discuss on a "general thread" rather than in the actual contest area. Sorry chron but you might just have to make two threads for these contests, one for discussion and the other for submission, having one thread for EVERY contest isn't a good idea since not everyone will be able to easily keep tabs on it.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 12:56:23

At 5/5/11 12:42 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: NAC

It's kind of hard to keep people knowing about a contest when it is a page behind since people are forced to discuss on a "general thread" rather than in the actual contest area.
Having one thread for EVERY contest isn't a good idea since not everyone will be able to easily keep tabs on it.

I agree.
However, i didn't forget about it and i'm even working on something..

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 13:53:22

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 14:27:21

At 5/5/11 02:11 PM, Chronamut wrote: *cools down*

alright perhaps KirbyFemur is right - a new thread shall be made - the other one shall remain for just general ideas and overall discussion for future stuff.

My comment was only to help bring in more people since it's hard to get more people to participate when they don't even know it's there.

Also Decibel, please don't try and start something when you know even a small comment like the one you made can instigate some sort of actual rage. Only make comments like that if people are in a happy joking mood so that can be included in the happy

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-05-05 16:07:16

HEY LOOK THIS THREAD ISN'T THE NAC CONTEST THREAD THEN WHY THE FUCKING HELL ARE PEOPLE DISCUSSING IT FUCKING WHAT

don't post about that the contest further, especially not if you're gonna FLAMEBAIT >:(

and yes, audio mods indeed can be banned from the BBS for breaking the rules.

Wakka wakka