00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Literature Lovers

53,355 Views | 514 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 22:00:38

Well I bought you a new one and you still have not started it!! The RE books are fast reads. I need to get a longer book. hit up the library for a bunch of books this week.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 23:29:29

At 2/16/09 10:00 PM, SilverRose516 wrote: Well I bought you a new one and you still have not started it!! The RE books are fast reads. I need to get a longer book. hit up the library for a bunch of books this week.

I've heard those books are good reads, but that they contradict each other.

Is that true?

And are they making RE 4 + 5 + Degeneration into book or no?

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 23:43:39

So far the books do not contradict them selfs at all. They do contradict the movies but they even follow the first 4 video games (Resident Evil I, II, II, Code Veronica). S.D.Perry does a great job with the original books as well. They fit right in between the video games and the books that are based on the games. I am not sure on the release of 4 + 5, or degeneration books. Though Degeneration was a good movie. They did make books on the first two movies but I have not seen one on the last 'live' movie yet.

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-17 00:33:06

I would like to join. I'm a junior in highschool and I have to admit I don't read most of the books they give us, but only because I am a slow reader and they expect us to read a LOT. For instance, right now we are reading Grapes of Wrath. I got the book a week ago, and now am suppose to be on page 250+. I tried to keep up, getting to page 50, but had to give up and use sparknotes because EVERY 2 DAYS there was a quiz, and there was no way I could read and appreciate the book AND make the grade.
But I love writing, especially poetry.
Books that I HAVE read and like are:
Brave New World
City of Embers (BEFORE the movie came out)
A Separate Peace
Sk8
The Stranger
All Quiet On The Western Front
The Things They Carried
It's Not The Bike
Someone Like You (hardly remember what it was about)
The Perks Of A Wallflower

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-17 02:45:32

Welcome to the club! It is ok to be a slower reader, just read at your pace and enjoy it. Also try talking to you teacher about you keeping up. Most teachers will try and help you.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-17 09:31:49

At 2/17/09 12:33 AM, TheWolfe wrote: I would like to join. I'm a junior in highschool and I have to admit I don't read most of the books they give us, but only because I am a slow reader and they expect us to read a LOT. For instance, right now we are reading Grapes of Wrath.

Yea my English teacher told us that Grapes of Wrath have not been in the curriculum for years because it was to long for the students to keep up. I did however hear it was supposed to be good. I read more on my own. I don't think I have read most of the class required work all the way through. I usually skim it because they are not the books I like to read.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-17 15:29:27

At 2/16/09 01:18 PM, Nev wrote: This should keep me busy for a quite a while if my recent reading trends are anything to go by.

Know what you mean. I just got back from a visit to to my Mum stepDad brother and step sister and I spent about 12 of the 48 hours reading (trains busses and nights before you look at the post quizzically). I recommend reading the bible and reading what others have on the bible passage by passage simultaneously (although for me it was just telling my brother what I'd found funny and him giving me a reference for other opinions on the passage.). But, bible aside...

Its just I've never heard 'A Brief History of Time' described as creepy. Or entertaining for that matter.

WHAT? How did the diagram of an event cone NOT freak the HELL out of you?!? Oh well, I guess just have a geeky thing for theoretical physics.

The epilouge should have been longer. Annoying to have to look up what she later said happened to everyone.
I agree here.

I agree here too. If you write a novel for each year, its common courtesy to at least make the epilogue flow. It's a real pity because otherwise it would've gone down as a masterpiece of fantasy. Talking of which...

At 2/16/09 04:33 AM, djconnect wrote:
At 2/16/09 02:38 AM, Tankou001 wrote: Hey all, I was hoping when I jonied Newgrounds that they would have something to do with writing, and such ^_^
I write as a hobby, and mostly do fanfiction in my spare time. Still I have my original works that I write ^_^
...Ba da ba ba baaaa I'm loven it. Well we hope to see some of your writings around here. You can post them right on the thread or in a news post and link to it. News post let you edit your work later if you want just in case.

If it's OK, I'd love to jump on the story writing bandwagon. Hey, I'm no Stephen King, but I'd love the chance to see what you guys make of my (crap) stories.

Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.

Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-17 17:38:48

At 2/17/09 03:29 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: I agree here too. If you write a novel for each year, its common courtesy to at least make the epilogue flow. It's a real pity because otherwise it would've gone down as a masterpiece of fantasy. Talking of which...

I'm not sure that just because the epolog is shity that it can't still be a masterpiece. Just getting so many young kids to read makes it a masterpiece in my eyes (O it was a great set of books to).

If it's OK, I'd love to jump on the story writing bandwagon. Hey, I'm no Stephen King, but I'd love the chance to see what you guys make of my (crap) stories.

We would love to read your crap to.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 15:27:23

Just getting so many young kids to read makes it a masterpiece in my eyes (O it was a great set of books to).

I agree, having such long and higher lvl books that younger kids are willing to read is really beneficial. I just recently read them last month though lol. I tend to read popular books later then everyone else for some reason. A drawn out epilogue definitely would have made me alot happier though.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 16:06:26

At 2/18/09 03:27 PM, SilverRose516 wrote: A drawn out epilogue definitely would have made me alot happier though.

Not drawn out just more detailed. More on what they all are doing ,there relationships, were they live, how well off they are, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 16:49:28

Updates on the story: I changed Tanis and Conrad's last name to Serieh, as well as Tanis's name to Azriel and Conrad's to Tanis, and Andrea to Neria.

Thinking of names is easier than I thought... it just takes a while.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 16:55:45

I would like to join. I love The LOD series, LotR is pretty good. I hate small books. Like, 250 and below's too small. It would have to be pretty good.

Got relationship problems? Maybe me and Vincoid can help you. Strong believer in rule#42-Nothing is Sacred.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 17:00:31

Just stopping by to ask a question.

Is Cthulu pronounced 'Ka-Thu-Lu' or 'Ka-Tu-Lu'?

Like, is the 'th' just pronounced as 't', or what?

I figured a club about Literature was the best place to ask this.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 17:12:24

At 2/18/09 05:00 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Is Cthulu pronounced 'Ka-Thu-Lu' or 'Ka-Tu-Lu'?

I pronounce it 'Cuh-Tu-Lu'.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 17:34:15

At 2/18/09 05:00 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Just stopping by to ask a question.

The correct pronouciation is Ka-thu-lu

Got relationship problems? Maybe me and Vincoid can help you. Strong believer in rule#42-Nothing is Sacred.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 17:46:57

i beleive it is Ka-Thu-Lu(but i'm most likely wrong)

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 17:47:51

At 2/18/09 05:46 PM, thelittleemo wrote:

i beleive it is Ka-Thu-Lu(but i'm most likely wrong)

No your right

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-18 19:30:37

At 2/18/09 04:55 PM, Soldierofhentai21 wrote: I would like to join.

Welcome welcome it is wonderful to have you with us.

I swear I feel like the welcoming comity around here lulz.
At 2/18/09 05:00 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I figured a club about Literature was the best place to ask this.

You were correct in thinking so.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 01:11:46

Well, according to Lovecraft himself, its Ku-tool-loo, but purists say its ka-thoo-loo. I like ka-thoo-loo personally.

The reason they call it the American dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it

--- George Carlin Z? Z? Question Sleep Z? Z?

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 11:10:34

At 2/17/09 02:45 AM, djconnect wrote: Welcome to the club! It is ok to be a slower reader, just read at your pace and enjoy it. Also try talking to you teacher about you keeping up. Most teachers will try and help you.

I can't decide whether I'm a slow reader or not. If I try to read quickly, I usually miss a lot of content in the book... but then again, if I read slowly, I sometimes miss stuff too. It all depends on how interested I am in the text.

Right now I'm reading The Song of Roland for my Honors class. So far I've only read the introduction, so I believe it's about a war between Christians and pagans. Should tell me a bit about society.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 11:57:57

At 2/17/09 05:38 PM, djconnect wrote::

Thanks!

Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.

Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 12:04:51

I started reading The Subtle Knife. Seemed wiser to get back into my reading stride with this rather with Brothers Karamazov as that will be a much more demanding read.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 12:49:37

At 2/19/09 11:10 AM, Chumbawamba wrote: I can't decide whether I'm a slow reader or not.

Well I guess the question is if you are interested in the book can you read it quickly and understand what you have read with out going back? If you can then you are not really a slow reader just not motivated to understand things that don't interest you. If you can't that is ok to it just means that you have to take your time.

At 2/19/09 11:57 AM, AKACCMIOF wrote: At 2/17/09 05:38 PM, djconnect wrote::
Thanks!

You are welcome, I enjoy reading other peoples unpublished writings. That is one reason I created this crew. Published books are great but I have read some really great works by people you never would never knew existed. I think great writings like that are far more valuable then any published works. They are more rare and that increases the dollar value, along with an almost sentimental value to them knowing you read something not many people have.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 16:48:06

I don't usually write stories(i'm more of a poet), but I can. I just like poetry. On other things, any books you would suggest? My interests are: Fantasy(preferably Forgotten Realms),Mystical creatures(like werewolves, etc.) Horror(I'm trying to find some Lovecraft, any suggestions?), Fantasy/action/romance(prime example:Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Great book),and Political Thrillers(like Tom Clancy).

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 17:06:52

At 2/19/09 04:48 PM, Soldierofhentai21 wrote: any books you would suggest? My interests are: Fantasy(preferably Forgotten Realms),Mystical creatures(like werewolves, etc.) Horror(I'm trying to find some Lovecraft, any suggestions?), Fantasy/action/romance(prime example:Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Great book),and Political Thrillers(like Tom Clancy).

Well anything fantasy I would suggest somthing by Neil Gaiman, my favorite by him would have to be Anansi Boys. Another mystical book would have to be the Dean Koontz book series Odd Thomas which is actually funny.

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 18:33:55

Another mystical book would have to be the Dean Koontz book series Odd Thomas which is actually funny.

Odd Thomas is a series ? I did not know that. I was told it was a good book but i'm not into short books i prefer series. I might have to look into getting that if thats the case.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 18:48:30

At 2/19/09 06:33 PM, SilverRose516 wrote:
Another mystical book would have to be the Dean Koontz book series Odd Thomas which is actually funny.
Odd Thomas is a series ? I did not know that. I was told it was a good book but i'm not into short books i prefer series. I might have to look into getting that if thats the case.

Actually I just found this out alittle earlier and was amazed. I think there are four books(I'm on the second) and there's also a manga which amazes me because i havn't seen or heard of a book made into that before. As for it's shortness, thats debatable because to me it was a quick read(about 2-3 days) and it was 300 for the first and 360 for the second. But besides that i can't really tell a lot about it except that it's very funny and an excellent read.

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 22:05:58

It's not necessarily the shortness( or length) of the book, it's the fact that if it's good,
i always want to go onto the next book and not looking forward to the last one lol. I will have to go out and get them this weekend, I've been looking for something new to read and I have never read any of his books before, though I have heard he's great so i'll find out for myself:)

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 22:32:47

At 2/19/09 05:06 PM, thelittleemo wrote:
At 2/19/09 04:48 PM, Soldierofhentai21 wrote: any books you would suggest? My interests are: Fantasy(preferably Forgotten Realms),Mystical creatures(like werewolves, etc.) Horror(I'm trying to find some Lovecraft, any suggestions?), Fantasy/action/romance(prime example:Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Great book),and Political Thrillers(like Tom Clancy).
Well anything fantasy I would suggest somthing by Neil Gaiman, my favorite by him would have to be Anansi Boys. Another mystical book would have to be the Dean Koontz book series Odd Thomas which is actually funny.

Koontz is awesome. I've read his books Lightning(Time traveling Nazis. 'Nuff said), and frankenstein. I thought about the Odd series but I've been unable to find any

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-19 23:38:22

At 2/19/09 10:32 PM, Soldierofhentai21 wrote: Koontz is awesome.

Im not really a fan of Koontz, but i haven't really picked up any of his recent works, so i can't really judge him that much. He came off as painfully average to me, i don't know about anyone else here.

The reason they call it the American dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it

--- George Carlin Z? Z? Question Sleep Z? Z?