00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Sketchbook Tour 2008

58,038 Views | 899 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 00:11:34

At 8/6/08 11:58 PM, Kuro wrote: I just put mine in the mail.

Let's just hope it gets there within the next less than three weeks.

It's a bit bare, but I couldn't think of anything else to add to it, and I didn't want to risk ruining it by colouring it, due to my lack of experience in that department.

I sure hope the paper wasn't too thick for you!

HO HO!

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 01:29:27

At 8/7/08 12:11 AM, KupaMan wrote: I sure hope the paper wasn't too thick for you!

HO HO!

Oh, right, because if it was too thick I wouldn't be able to trace it.

Yeah, that's pretty clever.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 01:42:52

At 8/7/08 01:29 AM, Kuro wrote:
At 8/7/08 12:11 AM, KupaMan wrote: I sure hope the paper wasn't too thick for you!

HO HO!
Oh, right, because if it was too thick I wouldn't be able to trace it.

OMG I hate how thick the paper was, I tried to trace it but I couldn't see throught it!!! (I could use a light table) I put it up to the windo and STILL NOTHING so what I did was taped the two papers togather and on the origainal one I press really hard with a pencil as trace the out lines again, It suprising like made visible indentaion in the sketch book paper that I could trace them. MAN THAT WAS AN ORDEAL!!!!

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 03:09:16

At 8/7/08 01:42 AM, JoSilver wrote: OMG I hate how thick the paper was, I tried to trace it but I couldn't see throught it!!! (I could use a light table) I put it up to the windo and STILL NOTHING so what I did was taped the two papers togather and on the origainal one I press really hard with a pencil as trace the out lines again, It suprising like made visible indentaion in the sketch book paper that I could trace them. MAN THAT WAS AN ORDEAL!!!!

Why didn't you just redraw it?

If you drew it once, surely it wouldn't be too hard to draw it again.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 06:38:23

At 8/7/08 03:09 AM, Kuro wrote: Why didn't you just redraw it?

If you drew it once, surely it wouldn't be too hard to draw it again.

unfortunatly I rarely draw thing the same way twice. I tryed to redraw it but it was coming out the right.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 07:13:04

At 8/7/08 01:29 AM, Kuro wrote: Oh, right, because if it was too thick I wouldn't be able to trace it.

Yeah, that's pretty clever.

Yeah, because if it was too thick you wouldn't be able to trace.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 07:51:06

At 8/7/08 07:13 AM, KupaMan wrote: Yeah, because if it was too thick you wouldn't be able to trace.

I grow tired of you.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 08:34:57

At 8/7/08 07:51 AM, Kuro wrote: I grow tired of you.

Maybe you shouldn't have entered official prize-bearing contests with traced, stolen pictures. Not only were you stealing credit for someone else's hard work, but you were also potentially denying deserving artists their just recognition for their work. Go fuck yourself. Saying, "I know, but I don't do that anymore" doesn't change that you're the douche-bag who had the gall to do it in the first place. This is a site for artists to share art with other artists; not for asshole tracers to share their balls with other people's chins.

We would rather see your shitty drawings than someone else's awesome Ninja Turtles, or Thundercats Fan Art. It's assholes who trace and steal that break the spirit of this site.

I think I'm allowed to annoy you just a bit for that.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 12:28:10

At 8/7/08 08:34 AM, KupaMan wrote: Saying, "I know, but I don't do that anymore" doesn't change that you're the douche-bag who had the gall to do it in the first place.

Still, we've all made some mistakes and - I feel - should be given a 2nd chance. Whether it's slipping up on deadlines, failing to deliver the work we said we would... none of us are perfect.

Yeah, it's a shitty thing to do.

We shouldn't forget the mistakes of the past.

But people should be given a chance to reform.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 13:16:39

Kool, Luis got my sketch.
Nioce.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 15:43:49

At 8/7/08 08:34 AM, KupaMan wrote: Maybe you shouldn't have entered official prize-bearing contests with traced, stolen pictures. Not only were you stealing credit for someone else's hard work, but you were also potentially denying deserving artists their just recognition for their work. Go fuck yourself.

I know.

I was a fucking idiot for what I did, and it's something I do regret.

I don't ask to be forgiven.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 20:14:59

At 8/7/08 12:28 PM, Bezman wrote: Still, we've all made some mistakes and - I feel - should be given a 2nd chance. Whether it's slipping up on deadlines, failing to deliver the work we said we would... none of us are perfect.

Missing a deadline is in a completely different category than stealing people's drawings in an attempt to cheat other people out of money, prizes, and recognition.

But people should be given a chance to reform.

This isn't some peer pressure thing. It's not, "I know, I should have never tried coke. It was a stupid thing to do, and I don't expect to be forgiven for what I did." It's a lot more like, "I tried to steal credit for other people's hard work and make money off of it, but got caught and now I have to act ashamed of myself because there's no possible way I could defend my tracing without sounding like a total dick. Which I am." It has nothing to do with reform. People deserve second chances for making mistakes. He didn't make a mistake. He knew what he was doing.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 20:30:41

Its such a pitty I couldnt be part of this project this year. I guess timezones were not in my favour :(

However, in hindsight, I can say that from the time I asked to be included in the project to the time that I post this message, I have improved substantionally, and hopefully by the time the next tour comes around, I will have done even more so, which just adds to the overall quality of the project :)

Ill be looking forward to seeing this finished off!

And whats this about somebody tracing? O.o

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 20:36:04

Ummm.... I think we should stop fighting here..... It's upsetting the BABY!!!!!!!!! Now I'll NEVER get to sleep tonight....

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 20:38:50

20 Picture so far...COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Let's get those pencils moving, ooooooH!!!! I can wait for it to be finished.

Also I'd Really like to help with the flash......

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 22:29:10

At 8/7/08 08:38 PM, JoSilver wrote: 20 Picture so far...

Technically, 21 because Milburns includes Bryce and Nathaniel.

Also Luis just wanted to point out my username was changed from Hylian-Mafia to SamIam. So just wanted to avoid problems up head when you collect all the names of the people who sent in their pages.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-07 23:29:50

At 8/7/08 08:38 PM, JoSilver wrote: 20 Picture so far...COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Let's get those pencils moving, ooooooH!!!! I can wait for it to be finished.

Also I'd Really like to help with the flash......

If the Metal Gear Collab is any indication of how these things work out, people will probably be riding it up to the wire to turn them in. I hope they remember that the postal service isn't as instant as the internet is.

Anyway, I'm really pumped to see what everyone has done this year. I hope everybody is using this time to the fullest, rather than just doing it last minute.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 00:45:30

Luis-

Sent mine off today. Scanned it before I sent it so if it gets delayed in the mail I can get you the scan for the flash until the real thing arrives. I don't think this will be much of a problem. Mail into/out of NYC is pretty speedy. So even if it comes back I prolly have time to send it again.

Everyone-

Did anyone else try to paint theirs? Fuckin' A! I mean you're working small which is hard anyway. But the surface is both absorbent and fragile. (by the way Luis mine ain't completely flat as the paint warped the paper a bit) So you can't really put a thick coat on without risking the complete destruction of the paper. I ended up using my acrylics like guache. My layers ended up looking pretty drastic. No real subtlety to be had.

It's my own damn fault. I did the whole thing conception to completion last night because I couldn't sleep. I should have done a test on some xerox paper first. It's thinner and I'd have known how far I could push it and still be Ok.

Learn from me my fellow painters!

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 01:36:54

At 8/7/08 08:14 PM, KupaMan wrote: now I have to act ashamed of myself because there's no possible way I could defend my tracing without sounding like a total dick. Which I am."

Of course there's no way to convince you that I've changed since then, is there?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 04:06:13

At 8/8/08 01:36 AM, Kuro wrote:
At 8/7/08 08:14 PM, KupaMan wrote: now I have to act ashamed of myself because there's no possible way I could defend my tracing without sounding like a total dick. Which I am."
Of course there's no way to convince you that I've changed since then, is there?

No figthing or luis will ban you two. This is not the place for this.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 04:26:38

I wanted to paint mine but the rules stated that the paper must be flat to the touch. Before I seen the rules I was going to collage and paint but I just sticked to the rule that everyone should follow. "KISS".
Keep It Simple Stupid.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 04:55:24

At 8/8/08 04:26 AM, Tystarr wrote: I wanted to paint mine but the rules stated that the paper must be flat to the touch.

Unless you mean like, thick paint or something, you could have just pressed it between some books or whatever before sending it back.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 08:57:11

At 8/8/08 04:55 AM, KupaMan wrote:
At 8/8/08 04:26 AM, Tystarr wrote: I wanted to paint mine but the rules stated that the paper must be flat to the touch.
Unless you mean like, thick paint or something, you could have just pressed it between some books or whatever before sending it back.

Yeah it should flatten out moderately. I think Occluded's idea of scanning before mailing is a good one. I'll have to include that in the next tour. Some entries do inevitably get lost in the post office. That would be a nice get out of jail free type of option.

If you are running right up to the last minute, (you've been on vacation or you simply came to the conclusion that theres no way itll arrive on time), you could send me a high res scan while your entry makes it over. I DO want to stress that its important that your entry makes it, like dont think because you sent a scan you dont have to mail it back.

The online version is just a byproduct of the real sketchbook. The project is a 'sketchbook' tour for a reason.. the pages should in theory exist in a real sketchbook.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 12:04:04

Dammit, I didn't want to send it so late, but I really panicked about the idea of trashing the only one sheet of paper available.

At 8/8/08 08:57 AM, Luis wrote: Yeah it should flatten out moderately. I think Occluded's idea of scanning before mailing is a good one. I'll have to include that in the next tour. Some entries do inevitably get lost in the post office. That would be a nice get out of jail free type of option.

I also thought of that... Maybe I shouldn't have rushed to the post office so happily...

The online version is just a byproduct of the real sketchbook. The project is a 'sketchbook' tour for a reason.. the pages should in theory exist in a real sketchbook.

Luckily, next week, you'll have my paper in your tiny little hands...
It come out quite unimaginative and I have to admit I took the coward's way to overcome my problem of screwing the page... But, well, you all will judge by yourselves eventually.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 15:23:24

My tiny little hands recieved a few entries today, i refreshed that google doc. For anyone wondering.
cheers,

-L

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 17:42:35

At 8/8/08 08:57 AM, Luis wrote:
Yeah it should flatten out moderately. I think Occluded's idea of scanning before mailing is a good one. I'll have to include that in the next tour. Some entries do inevitably get lost in the post office. That would be a nice get out of jail free type of option.

if you do that you should have people have the scans in by a deadline a week in advance of the physical mailing deadline. Or it will just give everyone one more opportunity to procrastinate, and then claim innocence. Maybe not the full scan as that could get kinda huge, but a small compressed .jpg to prove that it's done. Then if you need the scans you could get the ones you need. So since I'm thinking as I type. Proof a week ahead of time. Full scan the day of?

Kuro & Kupa

I got a story for you. When I was in college we had a big student art exhibition every year. Winners were awarded money, and judges were brought in from neighboring schools and grad programs. So students got recognition from the school, from the community at large, and prospective grad programs. As well as getting a couple hundred bucks for themselves.

I had this friend his name was Greg. He was a lazy piece of shit but I still liked him. God knows why. He really did fuck up to the point where it seemed intentional. Anyway. That year I was the editor of our literary and arts magazine. Full of poems, plays, stories and art by students. As such I was allowed to view in advance what got in. Greg submitted a piece that was plagiarized. He took a character off of a flash cartoon. (Not one here) He changed the context of the character, but it was an uncredited source taken without permission and left unchanged. He made a print.

I brought this to one of the judges and after seeing the source agreed with me and his piece was expelled.

Now here's some fun fuckery. Plagiarism is an expellable offense in college. Normally this should have gotten Greg brought in front of the board of the department. But Greg's mother (Linda) was also an art professor. Do you see where I'm going? For the sake of interdepartmental politics Greg wasn't so much as told not to do it again.

So he did it again. At the aforementioned art exhibition. He entered the piece on the last day (a thursday). No big thing most of the other art students waited till the last day too. So it was that I happened to be helping my friend hang a piece in the gallery. When I saw Greg's piece I was infuriated. Because I realized not only did he try to pass work off as his own, but no one fucking told him not to. Instead of going to the teachers as I perhaps should have. I assumed they would again do nothing. So I went and printed off copies of the cartoon and taped them next to his piece. In my mind this was perfect. Katherine (who ran the gallery) locked up right after I posted the pictures. So the next people to see the gallery, would be the out of town judges arriving monday. This would be embarrassing for everyone involved. Because my teachers would be forced to actually deal with it this time.

ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha

So Greg broke in to the Gallery using his mother's keys. In addition to foiling my plans with the plagairized piece, he submitted two more pieces. Breaking into Katherine's (the lady who ran the gallery) office to sign his last two pieces up. So the next time the student body saw the gallery (after judging) was during the announcement of the winners. One of Greg's pieces that he submitted late won. I wasn't the only students livid. There were about 6 of us that knew what had happened when it happened, and by the end of the week most of the student body knew. We went to our teachers (except for Greg's mom) We went to Katherine who took it back to our teachers. Not a fucking thing happened. NOTHING. I've rarely been as pissed off and dissappointed as I was that week. Greg should have been expelled. Linda (Greg's mom) should have been reviewed / suspended. But because none of my teachers wanted to rock the boat with a fellow proffesor...

I screamed at Greg in the Graphics Lab later that week. Haven't really talked to him since.

Kuro. People have a right to be angry with you. You may have changed, but you don't get to just reject your actions. Saying 'your sorry' isn't going to cut it. You're going to have to earn that respect back. If you hadn't been caught I don't think you would have learned. And that's something you got to deal with. We've got to see you stand up BEFORE you're caught and punished.

Kupa. Lighten up a bit. Kuro was caught and humiliated. And it was like 2 years ago. That made kuro like what 15? I'm not saying you should lay off completely. Far from it. Get a dig in every once in a while. Maybe once a contest. I'm just worried that if you keep this up you'll come off as more of an asshole than Kuro. Plus there are more fun ways to pick on Kuro.

Kuro. Anime sucks.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 18:47:32

At 8/8/08 05:42 PM, Occluded wrote: Kupa. Lighten up a bit. Kuro was caught and humiliated. And it was like 2 years ago. That made kuro like what 15? I'm not saying you should lay off completely. Far from it. Get a dig in every once in a while. Maybe once a contest.

Well, he's not supposed to participate in art contests anymore. That's my point. I was just jabbing him at first, but he seems to think it's not a very big deal, so I pulled a Keith Olbermann on him.

I'm just worried that if you keep this up you'll come off as more of an asshole than Kuro. Plus there are more fun ways to pick on Kuro.

Well, I don't have much of a reputation to live up to, anyway. Plus, anyone who glances at his profile will note that he's got a lolicon fascination, so they'll probably side with me even if I am a bigger asshole.

Kuro. Anime sucks.

Haha! Okay. Now let's stop talking about this. We've (I've) taken up an entire page of this Sketchbook thread on this subject.

Luis, in the past you've given Tom the sketchbook at ComiCon, but that clearly isn't the case this year. Is there any special event at which it will be given to him this year?

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 20:16:21

At 8/8/08 06:47 PM, KupaMan wrote: Plus, anyone who glances at his profile will note that he's got a lolicon fascination, so they'll probably side with me even if I am a bigger asshole.

You really have it out for me don't you?

Haha! Okay. Now let's stop talking about this.

Good idea.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-08 23:32:04

Can we post ours if we're done with it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2008-08-09 02:47:03

At 8/8/08 11:32 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: Can we post ours if we're done with it.

BUT THAT WILL RUIN THE FUN!!!!!!