00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,493 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-06 11:49:27

At 1/6/12 06:04 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Fawlty Towers

one of the best shows ever. I only saw the first season of Black Adder, which I thought was okay.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-06 12:37:16

At 1/6/12 10:50 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Scream 4

It was ok. Felt like they were trying too hard at times with all the references to the horror franchise. I think Scream 2 (although it might have been perfect) got that just about perfect. There was a scene when they were at some kids house and watching a movie and talking about the rules of horror that was really great whereas this film kept bringing them up over and over again.

The Wolfman

I really wanted to like that film because Benicio Del Toro is one of my favorite actors. Some parts were alright but on the whole it just flopped.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-06 13:50:45

At 1/6/12 11:49 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/6/12 06:04 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Fawlty Towers
one of the best shows ever. I only saw the first season of Black Adder, which I thought was okay.

The first series of Blackadder is shit, the format and writing staff changes for series 2 onward.

II > Goes Forth > The Third > The Black Adder

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-08 13:40:43

I was actually going to see The Iron Lady today, but since the tickets were sold out I went to see J. Edgar instead.

All in all I do think it is a pretty good film, but it felt a little bit long to me and I think the focus of the plot was actually wrong. As you might know, this is a film about J. Edgar Hoover, the founder of the FBI. How he founded it and the big cases he dealt with are of course pretty interesting, but even more interesting was his personal life if you ask me.

There was plenty of screentime spend on his secret, homosexual relationship with his #2 man within the bureau, but there was not much revealed about his life before the FBI. Apparently he had trouble speaking when he was kid, he had no friends, no girlfriends or love interests, he had always lived with his mother, there was nothing about his days in college and from the very beginning he seems strangely obsessed with his work. Furthermore, Hoovers secretary seemed to have an interesting sideplot on her own, but at the end of the film I couldn't really tell whether she had feelings for him all this time or not. The film didn't seem to care enough to clarify this. Lastly, wasn't Hoover connected with organized crime somehow? There was not a word about that at all.

I would've loved to see more about all these things, but the main line of the film is really how he set up the bureau, how he worked and the cases he solved. Too bad in my opinion as it could've made a more interesting film. But it's still a pretty good film all around.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-10 16:43:57

At 1/10/12 03:59 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Today, I happen to find out that my current college screenwriting teacher was nominated for an Oscar. It's really coincidental with the show next month.

Oh that's nice. I'd like to ask him what the ceremony was like.

At 12/31/11 05:16 AM, Auz wrote:
At 12/31/11 01:38 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
Haven't seen all of those, but I do like most of your picks (the ones that I have seen). My personal list of top 10 favourite films of 2011:

01) Drive
02) Melancholia
03) Carnage
04) La Piel que Habito
05) Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro
06) The Guard
07) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
08) Crazy, Stupid, Love.
09) 50/50
10) Warrior
Only seen the first, second, and seventh.

I can recommend the others, although I don't know if you'll really enjoy them all. I think you'll like Carnage at the very least, so give that one a shot if you get the opportunity.

But I'm guessing that this list will change a bit as soon as I've seen The Muppets and Hugo.
I'm not changing mine because when I watch excellent films that came out in the past few years, that means I'd have to keep updating my lists and that I'd have to do the same for the future years. Meh, I can't be bothered. I'm doing it like a professional film critic.

Yeah I suppose I'd have to do that which is a bit silly. However, I've done the same for my 2010 list and it's become pretty much definite eventually.

All in all it's been a decent year in my opinion. Not as good as 2010 and there isn't really anything that goes straight into my favourite films of all time, but I've seen lots of good films nonetheless.
I actually didn't watch a bad 2011 feature film.

I watched Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Twilight: Breaking Dawn and Mr Poppers Pinguins which I all thought were pretty terrible.

Looking forward to 2012 (The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises etc.).
I'm looking forward to those and Titanic in 3D. I saw it years ago and I guess I liked it, but I really wanna see it on the big screen. If it's only in 3D, so be it. I'll see what the 3D is like. I still remember hearing about people, probably girls, going to see the film in the theatre a few times, if not many. (I'm not trying to be sexist, btw.)

Oh I think that might actually be a film that's well worth watching in 3D. I'll probably go check it out as well.

I noticed at my cinema that they're also remaking Star Wars in 3D. Or at least, Star Wars I. I'd love to go see Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith in 3D (that being the only one of the prologue films that I liked).

The most I've ever gone is twice, like for The Dark Knight and No Country for Old Men. I don't know if I'll ever go more than that.

As far as I remember the only film that I went to check out twice is The Dark Knight as well. The first time with a group of friends, the second time with my girlfriend.

I wanted to check out Melancholia and Drive for a second time, but I never got to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-12 04:22:45

Red Letter Media reviews The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I love this series. These guys are smart and funny with their reviews. Anyone else follow them?

Cinema Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-13 18:33:07

I went to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo this evening.

I watched the Swedish film a few weeks ago and as expected, this one was very similar (which is logical since it's based on the same book). As a matter of fact, for the first one and a half hour it felt like I was watching the very same film.

The last hour was quite different however. They wrapped up Harriets story a lot quicker and spend more time on what Lisbeth was doing. I don't know why exactly. Maybe to lay a broader foundation for the next film.

Anyway, for the rest it was just the same film but with more money spend on the production. As such we see a more famous cast and somewhat better effects and cinematography. I don't think it gave such a huge improvement over the other film though. I actually like both about equally much.

But go check it out if you haven't already. It's probably one of the best films out right now.

At 1/12/12 04:22 AM, ZJ wrote: Red Letter Media reviews The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I love this series. These guys are smart and funny with their reviews. Anyone else follow them?

Can't say I know them, but I'll give that a watch.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-14 07:17:24

Watched Boy A last night and instantly fell in love with it. Definitely one of the best films I've ever seen and it's easily bagged itself a place in my top ten favorite films.

The story shares similarities with the Jamie Bulger murder case, which if you live in the UK, you should have heard of. If not it involved a couple of young boys who killed another child, got sent to a youth detention center and were released shortly after becoming adults. The film isn't a fictional account of this, but as stated, does share similarities.

The film follows one of the boys "Boy A" (as he was referred to in the trial) as he's released and tries to find his way in the world after missing out on so much of his childhood. Andrew Garfield plays the title character and is absolutely amazing. There's just something about him that makes him a perfect fit for this role. His eyes in particular look like their hiding a thousand stories behind them for the entire 104 minutes.

I don't want to reveal more of the plot because it would ruin a gripping story for any future viewers (and I strongly suggest you all do make time to watch it). It's available on Amazon for a fiver and I'm so glad I took a shot on it. Thought-provoking, deep and beautiful.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-14 14:25:12

I just watched The Artist. It was fantastic, I would recommend it to anyone.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-14 21:03:21

Well, Bye Bye Liberty Crisis is the first Lupin movie I've ever seen that I'd rate anything below a 9 out of 10. I guess I'd give it a 6.5. It was okay. I think I'll put it down for a 7 on Myanimelist, though, especially considering that a lot of the Lupin movies have a lower average rating than they deserve on that site.

copy/paste

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-15 09:54:48

Recently I've seen two new-release films, both family orientated: The Adventures of Tintin and The Muppets.

I didn't know what to expect from Tintin, as I've never read the comics, but for an animated film, it had noticeably brilliant cinematography. Not to mention the animation quality was extremely solid. The story was somewhat a bit flat, but who knows, maybe this is how Tintin's writing style has always been. Either way, go see it. No regrets.

I didn't have high expectations for The Muppets, but I really should have. Don't let the Disney tag or the reboot of a franchise put you off, this movie was excellent. It contained the same light-hearted humour the Muppets has always had and will sure to tickle your nostalgia bone. The newer Muppet, Walter, took the role as one of the main characters in the film, whom luckily, had a lot of character. The emotions portrayed by the muppets were on par with the human actors, which was impressive. Oh, and speaking of human actors, cameos, cameos everywhere, which wasn't a bad thing. While this isn't Oscar material, it's a brilliant movie which I loved to bits. Go see it. No regrets.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-15 11:13:16

I didn't get the chance to see Melancholia OR The Future, and those were the only two films I really wanted to see on the big screen. Did see The Muppets, which was only okay. Everything I saw at theaters this year besides that I disliked. Horrible Bosses was horribly boring, and The Adventures of Tin Tin even more so.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 10:47:12

Has anyone here seen the 3 different versions of The Thing? There's:

The Thing from Another World
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Thing (2011)

I've watched every last bit of The Thing From Another World, some clips from the John Carpenter remake, and some clips from the prequel.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 11:17:09

I know this doesn't count as a film but has anyone heard of Marble hornets?

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 12:08:55

At 1/16/12 11:17 AM, therealanimator wrote: I know this doesn't count as a film but has anyone heard of Marble hornets?

I have. Isn't that a web series about Slenderman?

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 12:33:04

I watched Lupin the Third: Hemingway Papers. loved it.

At 1/16/12 10:47 AM, powerdude964 wrote: Has anyone here seen the 3 different versions of The Thing? There's:

I didn't care for the Thing From Another World, but John Carpenter's the Thing is one of my favorite movies. I still haven't seen the new one, but am disappointed to hear how many negative to mediocre reviews it got.

Also, I'm not sure John Carpenter's the Thing should count as another version of the Thing From Another World. They both were merely based on the same material, "Who Goes There?".

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 13:17:07

At 1/16/12 12:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Lupin the Third: Hemingway Papers. loved it.

At 1/16/12 10:47 AM, powerdude964 wrote: Has anyone here seen the 3 different versions of The Thing? There's:
I didn't care for the Thing From Another World, but John Carpenter's the Thing is one of my favorite movies. I still haven't seen the new one, but am disappointed to hear how many negative to mediocre reviews it got.

Also, I'm not sure John Carpenter's the Thing should count as another version of the Thing From Another World. They both were merely based on the same material, "Who Goes There?".

I know that. The John Carpenter movie is a remake. Three things for you:

-I mentioned The Thing from Another World because it was the first adaption from the novel (Who Goes There).

-I mentioned the John Carpenter one because that followed the novel closer than the 1950s version.

-I mentioned the new one because that adds more to the story and explains what happened before the team from the remake (John Carpenter).

Those are the reasons I mentioned each one, so there you have it. Of course, if I didn't have any reason whatsoever to mention any of them, I wouldn't have.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 13:47:30

At 1/15/12 09:54 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: Recently I've seen two new-release films, both family orientated: The Adventures of Tintin and The Muppets.

Don't become a film critic bro.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-16 23:15:59

No, I understand mention of the Thing From Another World is relevant and related to the Thing. I was just saying that the Thing isn't technically a remake of that movie, but another movie with the same source material. That's all.

So, I bought the Devil's Backbone at a gas station for about 5 bucks. sweet deal. I haven't seen this movie in forever, but I loved it when I saw it years ago.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-17 15:27:51

At 1/16/12 10:37 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: These are what I'm looking forward to.

Looks pretty cool. I too am excited for the AVGN Movie that's coming out. From what I know, at the moment, James Rolfe is currently still moving to California for the shooting of the film.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-17 16:29:02

I went to check out The Inbetweeners. A film based on the British TV series, which seems very heavily inspired by American Pie.

Basically we see a group of teenage losers going on a holiday to Malia (Greece) after they graduate from high school, hoping to get laid, drink booze and have the best holiday ever. Of course things don't really work out as well in the beginning and yada yada yada. In the mean time there's lots of talk about sex, low leveled humour and awkward situations they end up in.

It is perfectly watchable and it has its moments, but it felt very run-of-the-mill and it's probably best enjoyed when you're in your early teens. To me it was just a 6 out of 10 film. It's not bad, but it's not really worth the time in my opinion.

At 1/13/12 11:43 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 1/10/12 04:43 PM, Auz wrote:
At 1/10/12 03:59 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
Oh that's nice. I'd like to ask him what the ceremony was like.
I'm not sure if he attended. Another current teacher of mine worked on films, like A History of Violence. He's serious, a big talker, and has a great sense of humour. On the first class, he got us to pledge for something out loud at the same time, which is very unusual for the teachers I've had at this college.

He worked on an American Pie film? Lol!

I can recommend the others, although I don't know if you'll really enjoy them all. I think you'll like Carnage at the very least, so give that one a shot if you get the opportunity.
I'm interested in seeing all of the rest, especially the fourth.

La Piel Que Habito is certainly the most interesting film I've seen in 2011.

I watched Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Twilight: Breaking Dawn and Mr Poppers Pinguins which I all thought were pretty terrible.
I have a slight curiosity to see the first two, but I don't know if and when I'll get around to it.

Transformers actually might not be that bad if you're really in for a very loud action flick. Twilight isn't worth the time though, believe me. It's boring.

I noticed at my cinema that they're also remaking Star Wars in 3D. Or at least, Star Wars I. I'd love to go see Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith in 3D (that being the only one of the prologue films that I liked).
As a kid, I really enjoyed The Phantom Menace and would watch it over and over, instead of the original trilogy. I never completely saw those films until years later. However, now, I don't care to see The Phantom Menace on the big screen in 3D or 2D. The other films may not even be re-released if this one fails at the box office.

It might not have been the best choice to start with the first film then. From what I've heard a lot of people hate that film with a passion.

Personally I think that one was okay though. It was the second one that I really hated.

At 1/14/12 09:36 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Saw Groundhog Day and I love it. It's funny, earnest, and well-made.

It's still my favourite romantic comedy and I consider it one of the most well executed films I've ever seen. I mean, it covers literally everything I would do when I relived the very same day over and over again.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-17 21:04:44

I watched Dreamscape last night and loved it. It's an awesome, surreal, trippy movie about people going into other people's dreams. This came out back in 1983, by the way, long before Paprika and Inception.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-17 21:49:53

At 1/16/12 12:08 PM, powerdude964 wrote:
At 1/16/12 11:17 AM, therealanimator wrote: I know this doesn't count as a film but has anyone heard of Marble hornets?

Yes but the one thing that has surprised is the film makers have turned down offers from major film studios. Also i am currently writting a story based on the slender man mythos and i might get it made into a film. Indie style of course.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-18 03:47:14

At 1/17/12 04:29 PM, Auz wrote: I went to check out The Inbetweeners.

Heading to HMV in a few hours to buy that. Got a £10 voucher for Christmas and it's pretty much the only film out right now that I want.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-19 08:22:43

At 1/16/12 01:47 PM, Dromedary wrote: Don't become a film critic bro.

I... I just wanted to fit in is all, mister.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-19 19:17:55

I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) today.

All in all a pretty good film with a great cast. We see Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy and many other faces that will surely look familiar to you at the very least.

I do have to say though that the film is a bit long and slow and I expected a more climactic ending. It could be that I missed a few things, but I also expected the film to be a bit deeper than it turned out to be.

In any case, it's pretty good and certainly one of the better films out at the moment.

At 1/18/12 03:47 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
At 1/17/12 04:29 PM, Auz wrote: I went to check out The Inbetweeners.
Heading to HMV in a few hours to buy that. Got a £10 voucher for Christmas and it's pretty much the only film out right now that I want.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste money on it if I were you. It's not really worth the 10 quid. Unless you're a huge Inbetweeners fan...

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-20 21:34:38

At 1/17/12 09:49 PM, therealanimator wrote:
At 1/16/12 12:08 PM, powerdude964 wrote:
Yes but the one thing that has surprised is the film makers have turned down offers from major film studios. Also i am currently writting a story based on the slender man mythos and i might get it made into a film. Indie style of course.

Meh, I wouldn't suggest making a Slenderman flick. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. But I think that you'll have to really put lots of effort into it if you wanna make it seem good. A Slenderman movie sounds like the kind of movie that could only be good if done right and done in the most accurate and intricate manner possible. Of course, I don't mean show every exact detail of everything that happens, just make it seem more realistic. It's hard to tell what would make a good Slenderman flick, when you really think about it, so I would suggest trying different ways of showing the movie you want to make, and learn from experience.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-24 16:02:15

I watched Super 8 the other night. pretty good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-25 00:53:46

At 1/25/12 12:10 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Did plenty of Oscar voters seriously consider it artistically worthy of that category? I am interested in seeing it, but I'm in no rush.

I'm guessing the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes thought it was a little 'sappy'

I haven't seen the movie but it seems like one of those that wouldn't resonate with a more 'cynical' audience.

Response to Cinema Club 2012-01-25 17:23:59

At 1/24/12 02:39 PM, Natick wrote: Oscar Nominations are in! Just posted my picks!

"Fuck yeah" decisions
>ToL for BP and BD
>Gary Oldman nominated (fucking finally)
>RooMa nominated
>Nick Nolte nominated
>A Separation nominated for BOS
>TTSS for BAS
>Leo not nominated
>Tintin not nominated (just because now it means Rango has it in the bag)

Disappointing Decisions
>Melissa McCarthy over Shailene Woodley
>Tilda Swinton snubbed, Glenn Close in over her
>EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE BEST PICTURE ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS
>Brooks snubbed
>Drive barely making an impression at all
>50/50 not getting a BOS nom
>"Life's a Happy Song" not being nominated for Best Original Song
>Fassbender being snubbed